Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf when has Freddy ever been framed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been watching the Exorcist TV show from a few years back and despite its issues, it strikes me that it did what Believer was shooting for, just better. It also feels like a very "safe" version of 30 Coins Meets Evil so it has that going for it too.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

The Exorcist TV show was really good and it's still a drat shame it got cancelled. I feel like it would have been even better if it was not on a regular network, but it still went some places even within those constraints.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Important update:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Important update:

Hope he does the right thing and walk. Corey may have been a frustrating addition but the boy should have some integrity!!!!!!!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Important update:

Finally a good scream movie after 3.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I literally have no idea who that is, and I watched SCREAM V and VI this year, twice

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shrecknet posted:

I literally have no idea who that is, and I watched SCREAM V and VI this year, twice

Just Google "Corey Cunningham" and you'll see PLENTY of articles about him

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I also have no idea who that is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Medullah posted:

Just Google "Corey Cunningham" and you'll see PLENTY of articles about him

oh i see. :iiapa:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
whooooosh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I memory holed that person

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How can you forget that cool as heck scarecrow mask

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

They should’ve went with it because it would’ve allowed them to have a fully justified quippy anti hero Freddy without anyone getting mad that we all love a child killer lol

Although I do think it’s a funny idea having some 5 year olds decided to frame a grown rear end man. Dennis the menace vs Freddy

Freddy vs Damien

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Although I do think it’s a funny idea having some 5 year olds decided to frame a grown rear end man. Dennis the menace vs Freddy

I feel this would work out to be some kind of dream Home Alone. Freddy finally gets to Dennis only to get beaned by Mr. Wilson with a snow shovel.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Freddy just exemplified kidnapping panic of the 1980s. The big problem was that Robert Englund is such a charismatic actor that Wes was probably like welp accidentally wrote a crowd favorite pedophile.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Had no idea what I See You was about but the way it started I thought for sure it was going to be something like the HBO Stephen King adaptation of the Outsider.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ruddiger posted:

Had no idea what I See You was about but the way it started I thought for sure it was going to be something like the HBO Stephen King adaptation of the Outsider.

I actually thought very similarly. It has a similar vibe

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Origami Dali posted:

gently caress it, I'm making an Exorcist 3 fan edit.

Don't do it, i'm sure someone still loves you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjKX_pfGKA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What are the picks for the year, folks? I feel like I'm super behind on horror because I've just been digging in the crates.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I watched Talk to Me last night and was left pretty disappointed by it. I liked a lot of the ideas it presented, and I generally like nasty ghost who are deliberately loving people up, but I found every character to be so utterly unsympathetic and gullible that I couldn't buy into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind, but Mia, in particular, was just an unpleasant character to spend time with no matter what was happening.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are the picks for the year, folks? I feel like I'm super behind on horror because I've just been digging in the crates.

For me it's When Evil Lurks for top marks so far this year. Evil Dead Rise if focusing on the big theatrical releases.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm behind on new releases too but I loved Beau is Afraid, Moon Garden, and Megan

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i think talk to me was pretty good at giving me a legitimate teenage vibe. like i deffo know there are kids out there who would have done the same thing. it'd also fun to see how the movie deals with everything being recorded and uploaded to tiktok these days.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Me3GAn is a 2022 film!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I could have sworn it was a January release

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
poo poo you're right.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I wasn't a big fan of Megan, but I loved Talk to Me, especially the end.
I watched the original Last House on the Left last night. Wow. 70's horror movies are so demented. Wes Craven really said "here I am, gently caress you".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nikumatic posted:

For me it's When Evil Lurks for top marks so far this year. Evil Dead Rise if focusing on the big theatrical releases.

These are my recommendation too, and I'd add Talk to Me as well. On the subject of When Evil Lurks, its predecessor, Terrified is also fantastic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked Evil Dead Rise a lot, but I get how one's mileage may vary with that one. For context my favorite Evil Dead is the original and my least favorite in 2013.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Doing my weekly trailer watch and how the hell did I miss this one??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflBCCVdDkw

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I also saw Talk to Me recently and thought it was great. Really brutal, had realistic relationships between the characters, and I really liked the makeup during the posessions. There's the obvious parallel between the hand and drug use but while it's obvious it doesn't really feel like they're hitting you over the head with it like an after school special. The events just kind of cause you to ask "why would these teens do something they know is dangerous, especially after knowing that people have died because of it, if all it does is make you feel euphoric for a while?" but it kind of leaves you to answer that yourself with a "oh right because teens literally do that and have done since the beginning of time".

Loved the hand prop too, definitely going to be making one for the mantle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm counting both Skinamarink and The Outwaters as this year (liked the former a lot more than the latter but both deserve a mention).

Talk To Me was huge but I didn't really care for it at all.

Beau Is Afraid deserves a spot in the conversation probably.

I really need to watch When Evil Lurks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seen all except When Evil Lurks including quite a few nobody would give two shits about like the dire It Lives Inside. Guess I'm not that behind.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I'm way behind on 2023 flicks in general, I really do need to do some cramming before the end of the year.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

M3GAN is my winner, with No One Will Save You just behind, but there are a few heavy-hitters I haven't seen yet.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Null of Undefined posted:

I also saw Talk to Me recently and thought it was great. Really brutal, had realistic relationships between the characters, and I really liked the makeup during the posessions. There's the obvious parallel between the hand and drug use but while it's obvious it doesn't really feel like they're hitting you over the head with it like an after school special. The events just kind of cause you to ask "why would these teens do something they know is dangerous, especially after knowing that people have died because of it, if all it does is make you feel euphoric for a while?" but it kind of leaves you to answer that yourself with a "oh right because teens literally do that and have done since the beginning of time".

Loved the hand prop too, definitely going to be making one for the mantle.

One of the things I liked with Talk to Me was that everyone was plausibly stupid and not stupid for the sake of plot with the next big thing being people being held responsible for bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I walked out of Talk to Me enjoying it but the further I’ve gotten from it the less its stuck with me at all. Fairly forgettable but fun little flick. I’ve been so absentee on horror this year that it would still probably sneak into the back half of my top 10 on lack of volume alone