Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan hot pot is the cancer of Chengdu. They are everywhere since it's cheap to run a restaurant where you hand people trash to boil in oil until it just tastes like numb. Most of them are terrible and there are parts of town it can be genuinely difficult to find a restaurant that isn't hot pot. Every time you want to go out to eat with your local friends it's hot pot. No one ever wants to go out for any food other than hot pot. Locals go four or five times a week. Also there was only one Vietnamese restaurant in the city and I made the journey there once, dreaming of pho, to find it had closed and been replaced by hot pot, which is where it went from just crap I dislike to being my eternal enemy.

I have had good Sichuan hot pot but it is very much the exception to the rule.

This is my experience with hotpot, it's not bad but there's zero reason for it to be as ubiquitous as it is.

Also not liking seafood might have something to do with it but the broth usually ends up watery and blah. I've had hot pot with good stock but boiling beef or lamb is just so bad for the texture. Usually the veggies end up tasting the best but if it's an AYCE place nobody wants to waste space on that.

Beef tendon balls are the bomb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It’s not that I don’t like hot pot it’s just that I have no interest in it when there’s like dozens of better options to the point that I never would go out of my way to seek it out it over many better meals

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toxic Mental posted:

It’s not that I don’t like hot pot it’s just that I have no interest in it when there’s like dozens of better options to the point that I never would go out of my way to seek it out it over many better meals

Yep. A multi-dish meal with a variety of stuff is so much better than the single flavor meal.

The social part of sitting around the fire is fun but you can go to Korean barbecue instead and have the same vibes with superior food.

(non-Sichuan forms of hot pot are also better)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hotpot is a great way to ruin mediocre food

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been to a few hotpot joints that are well regarded by the Chinese grad students at my wife's work and concluded that I'm not good enough at it to make it a worthwhile experience. It's also pretty pricey in the US. Definitely want to try Korean barbecue at some point because that seems more up my alley.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

McGavin posted:

The issue I have with hot pot is that it's middle-tier cuisine, especially when most other Chinese food is delicious.

Same. Tried it in restaurants, and had Chinese friends make it for me, and every time has been: "Eh, it's alright." It's not terrible, or inedible (though everything is just kinda 'soggy'), but there are better options if you want a combo of soup/meat/veggies/noodles.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan hot pot is the cancer of Chengdu. They are everywhere since it's cheap to run a restaurant where you hand people trash to boil in oil until it just tastes like numb. Most of them are terrible and there are parts of town it can be genuinely difficult to find a restaurant that isn't hot pot. Every time you want to go out to eat with your local friends it's hot pot. No one ever wants to go out for any food other than hot pot. Locals go four or five times a week. Also there was only one Vietnamese restaurant in the city and I made the journey there once, dreaming of pho, to find it had closed and been replaced by hot pot, which is where it went from just crap I dislike to being my eternal enemy.

I have had good Sichuan hot pot but it is very much the exception to the rule.

FWIW Vietnamese food (and Southeast Asian stuff in general) seems to have become a lot more popular in China over the last couple of years. Most big malls with have at least one place.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Only had it in Korea but was also decidedly not as blown away by hot pot as the hype around it had prepped me to be.

I had a big malatang phase but have kind of gone off that now too.
Honestly Chinese food in America is a lot better than anything I've been able to find in Korea.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I like hot pot and never got tired of eating it. I liked the stone hot pot place a couple blocks over, and would always order extra pumpkin and let it cook down to have a delicious pumpkin soup at the end.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been to a few hotpot joints that are well regarded by the Chinese grad students at my wife's work and concluded that I'm not good enough at it to make it a worthwhile experience. It's also pretty pricey in the US. Definitely want to try Korean barbecue at some point because that seems more up my alley.

Korean bbq is ok but it's almost all cheap poo poo cuts. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's like a cheese steak sandwich but you replace the bread and cheese with rice and kim chi. I think it would suck by yourself, but it's too expensive as a group relative to what you can expect to get. There's a lot of waiting, and a lot of raw meat juices touching chopsticks that also touch things that raw meat shouldn't be touching... I can't say that I'm a fan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

use different chopsticks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get expensive cuts for kbbq, just pay more

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the cut you're using is the one you order, there's a variety. I can't really think of any cheap poo poo cuts? I do shoulder and galmaegisal myself.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've been to places of varying quality and it's not like they're putting pig taint out. The issue is usually the quality/sourcing of the meat, not the cut itself, so it's just not particularly great. Cheap places also don't necessarily have the best marinades or dipping sauces or even sides. Again, this is a quality issue solved by going to a nicer (more expensive) restaurant.

The way it works in Thailand usually is that if it's one price all you can eat, if you're paying less than 400 baht (about $12) a head, it's going to be average or worse. If you go to a place that's pay-by-the-plate, it just comes down to what you order. Cheap meat won't be as good as premium wagyu. I typically go to the kind of place that is all you can eat, but has tiers. I find the second best tier to be a happy medium between price and quality, and you're usually only excluded the absolute top dishes anyway.

You can absolutely taint your chopsticks, but most places will have specific tongs for handling the raw meat and your personal chopsticks for eating the cooked meat once it's on your plate.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can get expensive cuts for kbbq, just pay more

I had, in Korea, one specific BBQ place outside of Seoul, first place I had hanwoo. I talked with the owner a bunch, he just really was into meat and it was sorta his dream. Best BBQ I've had in my life. I've also been to ridiculous wagyu places and, while also amazing, I think the hanwoo I had beat it.

He eventually went out of business, and it was almost entirely because people were like "man this is expensive, why eat here when I can eat at any number of much cheaper places?"

Though, just like hotpot the answer is the same, do it yourself. You can control the quality and do it often better, neither hotpot nor Korean bbq are the kind of thing where having some master chef matters. Like what, they're gonna cut the meat in some super special way you can't do at home?

Sure it's not the same vibe as going out with friends (but honestly I like sitting there in my pajamas eating good food watching a movie or something free to do what I want how I want cuz it's my own home) but if quality is what you're after...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kbbq is legit because I get to eat till I get the meat sweats and then keep going..

Then I leave smelling like meat and smoke and its awesome.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MarcusSA posted:

Then I leave smelling like meat and smoke and its awesome.

Same but for Berlin nightclubs

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The whole point of going to a restaurant is so they do the prep and cleanup. Just put marinated slices of meat in front of me, let me grill it how I want, and you do the dishes afterwards.

Sure, I can do it "better" at home, but then I have to, like, do it at home.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Fur20 posted:

Korean bbq is ok but it's almost all cheap poo poo cuts. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's like a cheese steak sandwich but you replace the bread and cheese with rice and kim chi. I think it would suck by yourself, but it's too expensive as a group relative to what you can expect to get. There's a lot of waiting, and a lot of raw meat juices touching chopsticks that also touch things that raw meat shouldn't be touching... I can't say that I'm a fan.

Please go to majang market and try born and bred.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wonton posted:

Please go to majang market and try born and bred.

well ok admittedly my experience is entirely limited to japan and hawaii, where all the prices are unenticing and the offerings are like "do you want the beef tongue or do you want the grade a beef tongue". i cannot speak to korea-korean bbq, only that where i've been, it's just never quite enough and costs a little too much

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're getting yakiniku (korean bqq) today, weekday lunch sets are like JPY 1300 and always enough.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Teppanyaki is also a top tier cuisine, and it's especially good in Bangkok where they'll add local chilis and poo poo to the cooking oil.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

In the USA it's like $50 per person to get KBBQ

In Korea it's like $10-15, and usually on the lower end, even in 2023.

I loved going to KBBQ before hitting up the Hongdae meat market clubs smelling like charcoal and beer, made me feel like a real man

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The beef tongue is the best meat though.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Park’s bbq in LA is also solid. It’s 200 for a table of 4 and you get stuffed silly.

It’s really good for its price and taste wise don’t give you the saltiest or lamest cuts

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still laugh at what a naive and ignorant idiot I was the first time I went to a Korean restaurant in America. I had just gotten the contract from GEPIK and wanted to see what the food was potentially going to be like and I knew we had some decent Korean places because it was a university town with a decent sized foreign student body. Anyway, I ordered some kind of meat dish, but my girlfriend at the time ordered a soup.

When it was served, I rolled my eyes at how inauthentic I felt it had to be.

The ingredients: instant noodles, spam, and hotdogs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thank you for your service

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
authenticity is for doing nationalism with. if you're gonna wave the bloody flag in a meal its gotta be rice the correct banchan jeongsik etc etc (its gotta be guanciale in the pasta, the baguette has to be The Baguette, that cola has to be Coca-Cola or only maybe Pepsi...). but otherwise you can eat whatever

real communities eat together so imagined communities gotta imagine eating together

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 28, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Community is nice to have, but honestly I'd eat dinner with Satan if he could cook

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

If you don't want to read this the summary is China's liberal use of OTC antibiotics has likely led to an antibiotic resistant bacterium for which there may be no safe treatment in children.

It's a pretty good short read though.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/11/28/chinese-hospitals-pandemic-outbreak-pneumonia/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's nuts how antibiotics are routinely given for viral infections. Not just idiots self-treating but actual doctors think that works.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Grand Fromage posted:

It's nuts how antibiotics are routinely given for viral infections. Not just idiots self-treating but actual doctors think that works.

The doctors know it doesn't work, but it gets the patient to shut up and go away. They might hedge those bets by saying 'it might be bacterial' before giving you a 7 day supply of Dipshitomycyn, but they're still giving you something to go away.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The doctors know it doesn't work, but it gets the patient to shut up and go away. They might hedge those bets by saying 'it might be bacterial' before giving you a 7 day supply of Dipshitomycyn, but they're still giving you something to go away.

I thought that was what TCM was for?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That's for obliterating sea life because rarer = more expensive = bigger flex

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if Argentina pulls out its BRICS application, and India changes its name to Bharat, an acronym for the enlarged membership for Saudi Arabia, Iran, Ethiopia, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates would be BRBCSIEEU, or CUEBRIBES.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol at the idea of having saudi and iran in anything but simmering conflict

moreso than india and china

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Forest City: Inside Malaysia's Chinese-built 'ghost city' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67610677

Does anyone own beltandroadisgoinggreat dot com

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Latest Cyberpunk expansion looking good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

China is gonna be real mad when they find out that all these countries are not nearly so reluctant to default on debt to China as they are with debt to the USA.

(Though that thing is all china-on-china debt.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shumagorath posted:

Forest City: Inside Malaysia's Chinese-built 'ghost city' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67610677

Real talk I'd love to live somewhere like that, other people suck rear end