Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

follow up: does it take some time for your SR to be updated? I had 2 races with no incidents but my SR is the same.

Also, the "Most wrecks arent as unavoidable as you think" is such great advice. I stared racing with the mentality of "Priority is not crashing, then race when the opportunity presents itself", and I'm having significantly less incidents.

To expand further on SR. It's based on a rolling average of the last x corners, where "x" is based on the actual license you have. A D-license needs a lot less corners without incidents to stay at a value than an A-license. The rolling average is why you can "bank" incidents by being clean for a few races.
Additionally, you will see bigger jumps in SR at times where you would cross over into the next bracket within that license, say 2.99 -> 3.02. At those times, you gain (and lose, if you go down) an additional 0.4 SR. When you jump up a letter license (C->B), you lose 1.0 SR.
The sporting code has a lot more info on how different sessions are weighted for SR calculations.
If you feel like it, we have a very active discord (https://discord.gg/kYAf7w6v). It's mostly road-focused, but we do funny oval league races (old people will remember skips at Iowa) from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I am really bad at parallel parking and I want to use a sim to get better. I wish I were kidding. I picked a G920 for Dirt Rally, but learning to park my drat car irl would be very helpful. Someone on Reddit said Assetto Corsa with a bunch of mods would be good for this. Would appreciate recommendations for either AC mods or other appropriate sims.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I unironically recommend buying some orange cones and practicing IRL.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you can park in Euro/American Truck Simulator you can park anything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

njsykora posted:

Yeah this is the answer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I am really bad at parallel parking and I want to use a sim to get better. I wish I were kidding. I picked a G920 for Dirt Rally, but learning to park my drat car irl would be very helpful. Someone on Reddit said Assetto Corsa with a bunch of mods would be good for this. Would appreciate recommendations for either AC mods or other appropriate sims.

“FORKLIFT SIM,” the darkness whispers.

Seriously though, a car in reverse is just a forklift with a shittier turning radius. The same concepts still apply.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

njsykora posted:

This

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Schorsch posted:

To expand further on SR. It's based on a rolling average of the last x corners, where "x" is based on the actual license you have. A D-license needs a lot less corners without incidents to stay at a value than an A-license. The rolling average is why you can "bank" incidents by being clean for a few races.
Additionally, you will see bigger jumps in SR at times where you would cross over into the next bracket within that license, say 2.99 -> 3.02. At those times, you gain (and lose, if you go down) an additional 0.4 SR. When you jump up a letter license (C->B), you lose 1.0 SR.
The sporting code has a lot more info on how different sessions are weighted for SR calculations.
If you feel like it, we have a very active discord (https://discord.gg/kYAf7w6v). It's mostly road-focused, but we do funny oval league races (old people will remember skips at Iowa) from time to time.

Ty, very helpful! Will join the discord when I'm home

Another dumb newb question: I know you get penalized if you withdraw from a race, but do you get penalized if you withdraw from a practice session? I wanted to try out road course and joined a 40 min practice session but only had 20 minutes to play

i would just test drive the track but i want to practice driving with others on the track

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Beam.ng has city maps and normal rear end cars without modding, might be worth a try. Or yeah cones in a parking lot.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kvlt! posted:

Ty, very helpful! Will join the discord when I'm home

Another dumb newb question: I know you get penalized if you withdraw from a race, but do you get penalized if you withdraw from a practice session? I wanted to try out road course and joined a 40 min practice session but only had 20 minutes to play

i would just test drive the track but i want to practice driving with others on the track

Practice sessions do not count towards anything. The sporting code still applies, but SR and IR are out entirely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Practice sessions do not count towards anything. The sporting code still applies, but SR and IR are out entirely.

Thank you!

And one more, sorry if these are annoying.

At Superspeedways like Talladega where there's bump drafting, how do they differentiate cars touching intentionally vs non-intentionally when it comes to incidents?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I believe it's just relative speed differential at contact, there's just low and high energy collisions regardless of intent.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you!

And one more, sorry if these are annoying.

At Superspeedways like Talladega where there's bump drafting, how do they differentiate cars touching intentionally vs non-intentionally when it comes to incidents?

The 0x car contact is basically a placeholder that makes you liable for further incidents involving the cars you touch. Light contact you can get away with a 0x but if that 0x causes the person you hit to spin, you get a 2x, or hit someone else hard you get a 4x. Can never get more than 4x in one given incident though, for at least a few seconds after

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

necrotic posted:

To add to this, I just love the feeling of a practice session, it's so similar to the vibes at a track day or HPDE type thing. Show up, you'll start to come across drivers throughout the session, you can see someone coming on a hot lap and move out of the way, they'll flash their lights to thank you, that kind of thing, it's just fun. I love practice sessions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Back in the 90s I had a "wheel" controller which had a layout similar to an RC controller, with the "wheel" axis perpendicular and a throttle brake axis for the trigger. Layout similar to the photo. The only reason I got rid of it was because it wasn't USB (it was a game/serial port) but it was drat comfortable and intuitive (other than the throttle/brake being the same axis which isn't really ideal).

IIRC, it was actually moulded off of an RC controller because you could see where dials would have been located.

Does anything like this exist as a USB controller? I haven't been able to find anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

slidebite posted:

Does anything like this exist as a USB controller? I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm not sure if you're just looking for any kind of handheld USB controller with a wheel you can turn, but the Thrustmaster ESwap XR Pro lets you swap one of the thumbsticks or the dpad for a mini steering wheel:
https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/eswap-xr-pro-controller-forza-horizon-5-edition/

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

slidebite posted:

You can get an RC to USB adapter and combine it with a cheap radio. Some adapters plug into the radio directly with a cable, and some connect to the receiver and work wirelessly.

The manual for this radio implies that you can hook it up directly to a PC, but I can't say I've tried it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i finally made it out of rookie and into class D and good lord pocono is bumpy

I feel like im gonna end up like that gif from family guy with the dude with the one huge arm from all this left hand turning

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Brackit posted:

You can get an RC to USB adapter and combine it with a cheap radio. Some adapters plug into the radio directly with a cable, and some connect to the receiver and work wirelessly.

The manual for this radio implies that you can hook it up directly to a PC, but I can't say I've tried it.

Huh, I never thought of actually seeing if a "real" RC controller could be used as a PC controller.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I'm not sure if you're just looking for any kind of handheld USB controller with a wheel you can turn, but the Thrustmaster ESwap XR Pro lets you swap one of the thumbsticks or the dpad for a mini steering wheel:
https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/eswap-xr-pro-controller-forza-horizon-5-edition/
Thanks, but not really. I seemed really comfortable with that RC style controller ergos.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

slidebite posted:

Huh, I never thought of actually seeing if a "real" RC controller could be used as a PC controller.

Hah, I flew planes and helicopters in ARMA3 and various other flying games/sims with my RC radio. It was better experience than using an Xbox controller.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there an option for a pit limiter because ima go nuts if i get a penalty again for going 36 mph in a 35 for a nanosecond

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

is there an option for a pit limiter because ima go nuts if i get a penalty again for going 36 mph in a 35 for a nanosecond

Yes but not all cars have one! Notably the Formula Ford and Vee in the earlier classes.

Edit: assuming you mean iracing here

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

slidebite posted:

Thanks, but not really. I seemed really comfortable with that RC style controller ergos.

EdgeTX is a very customizable open radio firmware that currently has the best support for acting as a USB joystick. You can map each of your output channels to different axes or buttons and have it vary by model.

All of the radios that support it are stick-style... except for one that started shipping a few days ago, which is a pretty sweet looking surface radio with EdgeTX, ELRS, hall effect sensors, the whole nine yards. I can't vouch for it personally but I have another Radiomaster, the Zorro, and use it for flight sim where it works very well. https://www.radiomasterrc.com/collections/surface-radio/products/mt12-surface-radio-controller

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Yes but not all cars have one! Notably the Formula Ford and Vee in the earlier classes.

Edit: assuming you mean iracing here

Yes I do! Thank you!

Is there a way i can check if a car has one? i'm doing all the Class D oval series rn

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Kvlt! posted:

Yes I do! Thank you!

Is there a way i can check if a car has one? i'm doing all the Class D oval series rn

Push the button you have mapped to the limiter, and try to speed on pit road :haw:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Yes I do! Thank you!

Ah yeah a couple early ovals don’t either. Best way to check is try it in practice! Also the option will be grayed out in settings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

E4C85D38 posted:

EdgeTX is a very customizable open radio firmware that currently has the best support for acting as a USB joystick. You can map each of your output channels to different axes or buttons and have it vary by model.

All of the radios that support it are stick-style... except for one that started shipping a few days ago, which is a pretty sweet looking surface radio with EdgeTX, ELRS, hall effect sensors, the whole nine yards. I can't vouch for it personally but I have another Radiomaster, the Zorro, and use it for flight sim where it works very well. https://www.radiomasterrc.com/collections/surface-radio/products/mt12-surface-radio-controller
Interesting, thanks. I'll check into it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Apparently I ordered an Omega GT 8020 sim rig last night. Thanks, cheap vodka.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Going to strategically pm you a link to $4000 actuators next friday night

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Homeless Friend posted:

Going to strategically pm you a link to $4000 actuators next friday night

pls no

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im trying to figure out if im having a skill issue or a FFB issue.

In iRacing on tracks like Pocono on the straights I feel the road so much it is incredibly difficult to hold my wheel still: its constantly shaking (not in a broken way, just in a "this road is bumpy way"

are my ffb settings too high, or is this just how certain tracks are? The ffb feels great on most tracks and in road races, but it'll always shake on places like Pocono no matter how hard I try to keep it still.

Turn down my ffb or is that just how Arca at Pocono is and everybodies wheel is shaking?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kvlt! posted:

In iRacing on tracks like Pocono on the straights I feel the road so much it is incredibly difficult to hold my wheel still: its constantly shaking (not in a broken way, just in a "this road is bumpy way"

are my ffb settings too high, or is this just how certain tracks are? The ffb feels great on most tracks and in road races, but it'll always shake on places like Pocono no matter how hard I try to keep it still.

Turn down my ffb or is that just how Arca at Pocono is and everybodies wheel is shaking?

Nah, Pocono is like driving the surface of the moon for me too. Got a nasty shock when my DD2 tried to break my wrists.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if youve got fanatec wheel the setting is FEI but you can set that down to spread out sharp attack forces without loving up everything else. I’ve got it at like 40-60 since I play RBR at 15nm like a madman

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I don't know what wheel you have but there's generally a whoooole lot more than just "ffb strength". On fanatec wheels you probably are feeling the FEI being too high, try turning it from 100 to 40 (I actually turned this back up to 100 after I got my CSL DD and it feels great).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Theophany posted:

Nah, Pocono is like driving the surface of the moon for me too. Got a nasty shock when my DD2 tried to break my wrists.

Appropriate for a raceway located in Pennsylvania.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Appropriate for a raceway located in Pennsylvania.

Just needs a construction stage where it's down to 1 lane for 5 miles but no one's actually doing any work.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I've been meandering around after looking for something a step up from GT7 - which I still play to chill - and have been racing ACC/LFM a lot which is good fun, but gets lacking in diversity which makes sense, it's awesome at GT3 and doesn't do anything else. Picked up AC and all the DLC on PC a while back but never really bothered to even check it out beyond single player and touge servers and was thinking about iRacing recently when LFM added AC as an alpha title to test. I have to say that racing MX-5s in AC on LFM is maybe the funnest thing I've done so far. Something about the AC physics and tire performance just feels right to me, (I've only ever driven kart and a couple track days IRL so Im no expert). Set-up wasn't painful but was also fiddly but once done (and I did need to spend like $7 on Pure and the latest greatest CSP) the game looks loving gorgeous, runs at 120+ fps and has some of the best FFB and feel I've experienced. I'm not sure how much this differs from iRacing but if LFM adds open-wheel and multi-class to AC I think I'll be spending a lot of time there. In the oldest sim on the market lol.

e; TLDR: AC on LFM is fun fast regular racing if you're looking for an alternative to other platforms.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 14, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

So I've been meandering around after looking for something a step up from GT7 - which I still play to chill - and have been racing ACC/LFM a lot which is good fun, but gets lacking in diversity which makes sense, it's awesome at GT3 and doesn't do anything else. Picked up AC and all the DLC on PC a while back but never really bothered to even check it out beyond single player and touge servers and was thinking about iRacing recently when LFM added AC as an alpha title to test. I have to say that racing MX-5s in AC on LFM is maybe the funnest thing I've done so far. Something about the AC physics and tire performance just feels right to me, (I've only ever driven kart and a couple track days IRL so Im no expert). Set-up wasn't painful but was also fiddly but once done (and I did need to spend like $7 on Pure and the latest greatest CSP) the game looks loving gorgeous, runs at 120+ fps and has some of the best FFB and feel I've experienced. I'm not sure how much this differs from iRacing but if LFM adds open-wheel and multi-class to AC I think I'll be spending a lot of time there. In the oldest sim on the market lol.

e; TLDR: AC on LFM is fun fast regular racing if you're looking for an alternative to other platforms.

what is LFM?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's an out of game matchmaking/competition site - https://lowfuelmotorsport.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has EA Sports WRC had some performance boosts? I guess I can live with some shader stutter and generally ugly courses since I loved Dirt Rally 2.0.