Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone ITT bought anything from the online Secret Shop? I bought something this past TI, my order is still merely "Confirmed" :thunk:

Guess I'll have to reach out to their customer support but just thought I'd see if anyone here has had issues

Yeah I got a poster about a week ago and a mouse pad last year - never had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

help me

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

buy more rapiers

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I had a really odd game last night, it went about 80 minutes. Long story short I was P5 NP, but the safelane MK was so bad I stayed higher level than him. The cores complained the entire time about the sups, but honestly I have no idea what he wanted me to do. I tried sprouting the dire Razor when he linked the MK, (the MK complained because he wanted to go in and man fight) when I tried to pull he got mad that I wasn't zoning the Razor, he kept buying the wards and dying. It was a weird game. Fortunately I ratted it out, and we ended up winning.

My question is what is a p5 supposed to do? I assumed pull if the lane gets too pushed, try to zone the other carry, and try to deny?

I know I'm a mechanical novice at Dota, but tactics wise I thought I had a good handle on it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If the enemy team can dive, you often really don't want to pull.

But also, just because someone is complaining doesn't mean they're justified in it :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

If the enemy team can dive, you often really don't want to pull.

But also, just because someone is complaining doesn't mean they're justified in it :v:

I don't get why you wouldn't want to pull? The closer the wave gets to their tower it's way harder to CS, and pulling helps to reset creep equilibrium, I thought. They had a Razor and PB, and it was impossible to CS against them with a melee MK.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's highly situational, but depending on when / how you pull you are forcing them to push under your tower... where the creep wave will tank tower shots while that Primal Beast charges in and Tramples / Razor's Plasma Field does a ton of damage.

A couple right clicks to finish you off, if needed.

Fast / Tanky heroes who don't necessarily really need to right click often appreciate when you pull that small camp by the T1. Bristleback, Axe, Primal Beast etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

It's highly situational, but depending on when / how you pull you are forcing them to push under your tower... where the creep wave will tank tower shots while that Primal Beast charges in and Tramples / Razor's Plasma Field does a ton of damage.

A couple right clicks to finish you off, if needed.

Fast / Tanky heroes who don't necessarily really need to right click often appreciate when you pull that small camp by the T1. Bristleback, Axe, Primal Beast etc.

Oh that makes sense. I don't think this guy was good enough to know that, he was just mad that he couldn't CS. One interesting thing that I'm trying to trying to learn from, he kept getting linked by Razor, and I sprouted Razor so he could escape. But weirdly a few times when he got linked, he went in on the Razor and ulted right as I sprouted. The MK died ever time. The Razor got a full link, took almost no damage, slowed the MK and killed him. The MK told me to stop doing that, but like why? If I didn't sprout, was he expecting to manfight a lvl10 razor as a lvl7 mk ?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Monkey king is also one of melee heroes who has a large attack radius and so can attack units that were sprouted, so sprout synergizes super well in letting MK attack someone who is stuck in place + taking a bit of extra damage. However, manfighting Razor when he's static linked is definitely very dumb.

The biggest thing to internalize for Dota is that there's an infinite amount of dunning-kruger effect in the player base (especially people who only play carries / mids) and these players will never believe they lost because of what they did, it's always other people dragging them down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You're right that the best way to handle Razor is to run away; it's the only way to break the Static Link. Definitely a dumb MK. Plus Master_Odin makes a good point that MK is one of those few melee heroes who can hit over the trees, so ignoring the fact that it's a Razor he still doesn't have a leg to stand on

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
All good points. What makes me the most ? is that the guy said "NP, I don't know what to do with you" and I responded "heyo, let me know what to do and I"ll do it" and the guy said "I shouldn't have to tell you how to do your job". So thanks I guess?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You might want to ask your P1 what he wants from you as the 5. In this situation, where he doesn't want you to pull, you should try to push the wave into the tower as hard you as can. The tower will clear the wave and it effectively resets the lane to near you as if you pulled, but with the bonus of you not having left the MK. They will probably complain as well but what can you do.

Sprouting the Razor is the correct play. MK isn't going to manfight a razor while linked, especially early with no items. He's a great lane counter to a lot of melee cores and MK is no exception. He needs to be ready to gently caress off asap when linked to break or he'll get spanked in lane no matter what you do as the NP 5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

All good points. What makes me the most ? is that the guy said "NP, I don't know what to do with you" and I responded "heyo, let me know what to do and I"ll do it" and the guy said "I shouldn't have to tell you how to do your job". So thanks I guess?

Translates to them having no idea what [if anything] you're doing wrong, but certainly they aren't doing anything wrong so the problem must be you.

The second they say that, free pass to mute, ignore, forget they ever said anything.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

there are times when you are supposed to mindlessly hit the enemy and when you ignore them, when you should die basically on cooldown and when you should absolutely not die, when you should pull and when you absolutely should not pull, etc. all of it is conditional on the lane you're in and what the state of the game is.

if you actually care about getting better, go find replays of what you want to do on dota2 pro tracker and watch replays. all u can do is the correct thing and if ur lane partner is a huge dipshit and makes bad decisions then there's nothing you can do about it.

alternatively, if ur not a lameass what you should actually do is flame that guy as much as you possibly can and if u can make him uninstall dota then u win

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

also depending on your skill level, a lot of 1s just have 0 idea how to do anything with a 5 that isn't crystal maiden, lion or shadow shaman

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There is like a 95% chance that MK doesn't know how static link works and thinks he's doing less damage because of your sprout for some reason.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It feels like there's some weird poo poo going on with offlane WK in my games. I mean, people don't necessarily play heroes the way they're played in higher MMR, but I keep ending up with people who just completely ignore Vampiric Spirit. Then they end up super underfarmed and deal like 10k damage and we lose.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It feels like there's some weird poo poo going on with offlane WK in my games. I mean, people don't necessarily play heroes the way they're played in higher MMR, but I keep ending up with people who just completely ignore Vampiric Spirit. Then they end up super underfarmed and deal like 10k damage and we lose.

They should be embarrassed for neglecting The Boys so egregiously.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I also recently had a Wraith King put points into W after everything else. Absolutely trash, got like a 25 minute Radiance and we lost.

So, so bad.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Dota 2 trenches are bottomless. Last night, I had a Divine 3 Phantom Assassin go 0-14, had battlefury and no boots.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The WK thing could be they are following some 3+ year old guide before the rework of W where you would level it last or else it'd mess up lane equilibrium.

On the other hand,

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The Dota 2 trenches are bottomless. Last night, I had a Divine 3 Phantom Assassin go 0-14, had battlefury and no boots.
People are dumb. Had a pudge who got first point flesh heap, got hook at lvl 3, and then maxed heap and rot before putting any more points into hook. Predictibly lost lane to sniper hard, and also failed to get any ganks on side lanes going.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had a bonkers game last night where I picked Jakiro sup, and laned with a Razor, but after the first five minutes I realized he was giving me tangos and not getting any last hits. I messaged "support razor?" and he responded "yup". It'd have been nice to know before hand since I too spent the first few waves avoiding last hits.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
i have a troll warlord concept art leftover from ti4 in like 2014. if anyone wants it for the price of shipping, PM me

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I can't stop picking muerta pos 4 in all my games when she's not banned even with my abysmal ~35% win rate on the hero. I only played her for the first time maybe 2 months ago

I feel I play her pretty well most games, it's just hard to get team mates who draft heroes that synergise with her skills so you can run around killing enemy cores farming on their own.

Pair her with a long duration stun like dk tho and you can just run around killing heros before they can even react.

I think my wr is so low cos spectre and spirit breaker seem to always ruin my day. I always run into enemy cores who target my teams supports, but my cores never seem to do the same.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

People are dumb. Had a pudge who got first point flesh heap, got hook at lvl 3, and then maxed heap and rot before putting any more points into hook. Predictibly lost lane to sniper hard, and also failed to get any ganks on side lanes going.

Hook is a value point at level 1 kinda thing. The cooldown goes down by 2 seconds and the damage goes up by 70 for each point. Also you can't afford to be throwing hooks nonstop early in the game because you won't have the mana pool for it anyway.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Master_Odin posted:

The WK thing could be they are following some 3+ year old guide before the rework of W where you would level it last or else it'd mess up lane equilibrium.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if it was some oldass guide the person used before and either never played the hero again or took a break and just came back and the guide automatically loaded for them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

Yeah I got a poster about a week ago and a mouse pad last year - never had any issues.

Finally emailed the shop this morning, pretty quickly they replied with a very templated sounding

quote:

Your order should be shipping out soon!

Right now our team is working quickly to fulfill all orders.

I'm sure they were busy from TI, but a month+ backlog of orders to fulfill? Or do they just have a single malnourished child picking in their warehouse?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure they were busy from TI, but a month+ backlog of orders to fulfill? Or do they just have a single malnourished child picking in their warehouse?

rude way to talk about slacks

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Master_Odin posted:

this was actually A Build for a while when flesh heap gave you HP regen and level 1 rot was still good, you would start with heap, bulk yourself up with starting items and just slap fight your opponent in the middle of the creep wave like discount axe

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Gave abaddon pos 5 a whirl yesterday, took shield at lvl 1, then we teamwiped the other team at our own jungle bounty rune before the siren with no one on my team dying. One of the funniest things I've ever experienced playing this game.

The heal is now 325hp. I swear it used to max out at like 200, he's gotten lots of support oriented buffs lately but holy he'll I wasn't expecting him to be that good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Abaddon is ridiculous if you can avoid throwing the lane by picking him. 1 armor and melee is tough early

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a discord or whatevs for goon dotes?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My greatest dota moment was playing OD a couple years ago. His ultimate would also banish anyone affected at the time. Super busted. We lost 4 in a teamfight and the enemy team was 5 man pushing mid. I had Aghs refresher. I landed a 5 man ult, hit the refresher and got a rampage in mid lane. Probably can't even watch a replay of it if I had it now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ahhhhhh

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Is there a discord or whatevs for goon dotes?

If you’ve got a Bezosbuck lying around you can sub to Pyrion Flax’s twitch and his Discord regularly has 2 or 3 stacks on the go.

It’s mainly garbage tier dotes.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played a viper game last night, i just can't understand someone who loads up dota and think "yeah, i'll play some viper", drat what a unexciting hero

i'm trying to be more conscious lately of fighting closer to team-mates and he wrecks poo poo when he isn't getting focused down though lmao

still managed to viper strike a creep at least once

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I feel the same boring type of hero is Dragon Knight. I think DK and Viper are the types of hero that win their lanes to set up for early tower pushes. Kind of a gamble IMO.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's very simple. Roughly a decade ago, I started playing viper. I never stopped. It does not matter that viper hasn't really been a truly meta 2 outside of like, 6 months in that entire timespan. Still play him.

Best case scenario, you play viper, you kick the poo poo out of mid, and then lose because at minute 30 you're pushing tier 4s and the rest of your team has combined to tickle one tier 1 and 2 kills total

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like playing Viper. I use the turtle skin and drag everyone down to my level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
here's poison in your eyes