Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He’s just having some bad luck!

It's just a stutter step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pirate Radar posted:

The guy they were going to have whack Carmine Sr. before Tony changed his mind and had Benny and the other guy clean up the loose ends was named Credenzo, which sounds like a name that dropped off a racist chain email about a woman naming her kids after furniture

I mean, back when the show was new and I hadn't seen it I thought just the name "Soprano" was supposed to be a joke about a mob family who is fighting for respect after being cursed with a name that makes them sound all :gay: or something.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I mean, back when the show was new and I hadn't seen it I thought just the name "Soprano" was supposed to be a joke about a mob family who is fighting for respect after being cursed with a name that makes them sound all :gay: or something.

He was gay, Tony Soprano?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AidV4X3yUc

I completely forgot about Turkish Sopranos.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

TheKingslayer posted:

Sean and Matt are almost unbelievably stupid. Most people probably think they only exist in fiction, but gently caress if I haven't known a few Seans and Matts in my life.

Matt Bevilaqua (Drinkwater)

You know it's a good nickname when you give it to yourself and have to say it along with your actual name!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Data Graham posted:

That was Leotardo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I grew up around so many Italians I knew two unrelated Matthew Bevilaquas. It makes me laugh every time.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Both of those people are only named, not seen, so…

Given hip-hop style nicknames by someone who's famously out of touch when writing black characters, but you're right, them being black is an inference on my part.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ralph Hurley posted:

That was Leotardo

And Richie Aprile's kid. Seems he enjoyed dancing and it was best not to bring that up.

Particularly around Janice.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Robert Patrick really is a talented dude. That he has the range to be an utterly convincing liquid metal assassin but also turn around and be this utterly pathetic addict is amazing to me.

don't forget the biggest camp villain ever seen in Double Dragon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is his Sopranos role how he ended up being on X-Files? Because that's what I think of with him and his prominent roles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was also in that awful soldiers and their wives show that I thought ran for like 4 episodes and got canceled but then turned out to run for like 12 seasons or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

He was also in that awful soldiers and their wives show that I thought ran for like 4 episodes and got canceled but then turned out to run for like 12 seasons or something.

My mom loved that show to the point where she'd start fishing out all the characters' back stories and drama randomly at dinner. At least Dennis Haysbert got paid

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dokapon Findom posted:

Matt Bevilaqua (Drinkwater)

You know it's a good nickname when you give it to yourself and have to say it along with your actual name!

And then make sure everyone knows you're going back to your original name.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Furio dunking on those nerds right in their faces is funny as poo poo.

Something I forgot to comment on and I hope I'm saying this right, the entire time Tony and the boys were in Italy something about the portrayal of the Italian mobsters didn't just make them seem culturally different but almost like a different species from Tony's guys at all. Like they were meeting mobsters from another planet. Gave everything a slightly surreal feeling to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Furio dunking on those nerds right in their faces is funny as poo poo.

Something I forgot to comment on and I hope I'm saying this right, the entire time Tony and the boys were in Italy something about the portrayal of the Italian mobsters didn't just make them seem culturally different but almost like a different species from Tony's guys at all. Like they were meeting mobsters from another planet. Gave everything a slightly surreal feeling to me.
Yeah that was kind of the point. The Italian mob is hardcore, whereas the NJ mob are a bunch of jokers in comparison.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're hardcore, but they're also internally ridiculous in their own way. Everyone's still doing all this weird kayfabe and pretending that obviously incompetent/incapable bosses are formidable, while presenting an impenetrable front to the outsiders, that sort of thing.

(Might be misremembering the details of how that went down but that's the impression I was left with)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

They're hardcore, but they're also internally ridiculous in their own way. Everyone's still doing all this weird kayfabe and pretending that obviously incompetent/incapable bosses are formidable, while presenting an impenetrable front to the outsiders, that sort of thing.

(Might be misremembering the details of how that went down but that's the impression I was left with)
Well the main thing is that the true 'leader' of the mob is a woman there, which obviously Tony can't understand

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Data Graham posted:

And they’ve still been so badly hit by Italian law enforcement that a lot of their best people are in prison.

Come to think of it, it would also have been a great episode if Tony showed up there and was told that the boss can’t see him because he’s been in hiding for 20 years to escape prosecution a la a bunch of the current Italian organized crime guys.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Mauro Zucca is serving the life sentence; I think that's a sufficiently interesting detail/reason why Annalisa is Tony's analogue as acting boss?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh it’s still good the way it is, sure. I was just thinking, it would be funny if he showed up and it was all “sorry, you can’t meet the boss because he sleeps in a barn”—the kind of thing Tony would like the sound of because it shows you’re a real tough customer but wouldn’t be willing to do himself. Every time he has to go to the mattresses in the show he seems miserable about it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love how almost every urban shot of Naples shows just how run down it was in the early 2000s, the only complaint I have is that there should’ve also been mountains of garbage around in the background literally everywhere

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They show that when Furio goes back for his father's funeral, and he mentions "all the hamburger wrappers on the ground"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ulvir posted:

I love how almost every urban shot of Naples shows just how run down it was in the early 2000s, the only complaint I have is that there should’ve also been mountains of garbage around in the background literally everywhere

they probably cleaned it up for the shoots, but they couldn't do anything about the graffiti

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Agent Harris has beautiful eyes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

"The Unit" was the first thing that got me real concerned about what was going on with David Mamet

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I recently got a good friend to do a first watch and something we were chatting about that had sort of slipped my mind was just how willfully oblivious and morally compromised Meadow lets herself become. Finn is trying to be totally honest with her about the things he's seeing on the job site(Gene assaulting the other guy pretty violently) and how scared he is of Vito and she totally blows him off and erases his feelings and centers herself at the whole thing, only to turn around and essentially laugh at how freaked out he was when she tells Carm and Ro about Vito and the security guard.

The line about "they brought their modes of conflict resolution all the way from the old country" is especially patently absurd. Man what a good show.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

TheKingslayer posted:

Agent Harris has beautiful eyes.

He's got a Rock Hudson quality to him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the shittiest things Meadow does is lie and blame Jackie Jr's murder on two black guys just so she can try to end the argument with Finn after he's freaked out by Eugene using little Paulie's face to break a Snapple bottle.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Well, that's the lie she was told, and subsequently told herself; it's not as if she could verify it one way or the other

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

One of the shittiest things Meadow does is lie and blame Jackie Jr's murder on two black guys just so she can try to end the argument with Finn after he's freaked out by Eugene using little Paulie's face to break a Snapple bottle.

She's a walking gaslight to Finn, its insane they last so long.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Matt Zerella posted:

She's a walking gaslight to Finn, its insane they last so long.

There was no abundant intentionality in me taking out the suitcase!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Bosch posted:

The line about "they brought their modes of conflict resolution all the way from the old country" is especially patently absurd. Man what a good show.

It's from the poverty of the Mezzogiorno! All power was corrupt! Eugene had no choice really when you think about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

There was no abundant intentionality in me taking out the suitcase!

Their teenage and younger dialogue is often not good but their "I just had my first psych course" college dialogue? Chef's kiss.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mashup of Every Breath You Take and the Peter Gunn theme in the season three premier is a banger.

Can anyone speak to how legit this lamp operation is the FBI are pulling? The part I mean specifically is where they have an artist hand weathering the bugged lamp. Feels like there would be an easier way.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 28, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Can anyone speak to how legit this lamp operation is the FBI are pulling? The part I mean specifically is where they have an artist hand weathering the bugged lamp. Feels like there would be an easier way.

It's not too far off what the FBI did when they bugged Paul Castellano's house. There they even had to do things like figure out a way to drug the Dobermans he had on the property.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's insane. I need to pick up some books on this sort of thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I want to say that they managed to bug Lucchese boss ‘Tony Ducks’ Corallo’s car while it was in the shop or something

There’s a book called ‘Five Families’ that goes into great detail on the history of the American Mob and also tells a bunch of great stories

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

That's insane. I need to pick up some books on this sort of thing.

I can recommend Boss of Bosses: The Fall of the Godfather: The FBI and Paul Castellano. Unnecessary colons aside, it's written by the agents who did it and it's a fascinating read. They go into a lot of detail of the mob at the time and it's really interesting. I remember vividly them talking about Castellano's consiglieri Joe N. Gallo (not to be confused with "Crazy Joe" Gallo, the guy who decided his crew should take on one of the Five Families by themselves) and they thought he was just way too smart for somebody to have the job he did because the average mafia soldier is a bag of hammers and it clearly annoyed Gallo greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a book called ‘Five Families’ that goes into great detail on the history of the American Mob and also tells a bunch of great stories

For those that are interested, IMO there is *no* better/more comprehensive book on Mafia history.

The only downside is there is some repetition, where a story will be told in the section about a particular family and then repeated later on in a section about a particular guy.