Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pluggers Don't Wear Ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ultimately Pluggers just makes me think of how country music is increasingly being taken over by self-praising music about how "country people"* are better than city folks.

* many of the country folks buying said music work at Sport Clips and do not know how to use a plow

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I bet almost zero percent of us know how to use a plow.

I know we aren't sitting around pretending to be farmers but I am curious what the numbers are.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Farmers do good and important work.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

No good deed goes unpunished, or so I hear.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pancho Jueves posted:

I think we've reached a new low in failing to draw things. In what universe are snowflakes triangular?!

I feel like the point would have been made just fine if they'd just drawn asterisks instead of triangles

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like Overboard as a very light chuckle, but the art really is walking the fine line between stylized cartooning and incompetence.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The drawing in Overboard stinks out loud but it is far from alone.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Antivehicular posted:

I like Overboard as a very light chuckle, but the art really is walking the fine line between stylized cartooning and incompetence.

Just remember: “Art must contain truth!”

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Overboard octopus causes the strip get a lot of goodwill from me.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

lot of drama in this Rex Morgan arc after Rex Morgan himself admitted that Rene's new con isn't even illegal he's just selling overpriced pepe talks

will he go back to prison for this????

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 25-28, 2004)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Pluggers Don't Wear Ties.

:golfclap:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/18/51

Archie 11/4-6/48

"She Is More to Be Pitied Than Censured" is a 19th-century barbershop quartet song -- so, about the same vintage as Jughead's Victrola.

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/4/51

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

"She Is More to Be Pitied Than Censured" is a 19th-century barbershop quartet song -- so, about the same vintage as Jughead's Victrola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVC9NkijQA

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for November 24, 1927! Our cover this week is a nice one and I really wish I could read the signature.

Frederick Strothmann:

Gluyas Williams:

Paul Webb:

J. Norman Lynd:

And from the ain't-from-around-here quarantine page, Alf Jackson:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

emSparkly posted:

Pluggers don’t do Windows. They learned a bit of BASIC for the Apple II at school for a bit and that’s all they remember.

Not true. This plugger learned BASIC through a digital teletype with a 3##-baud-rate phone connection to part of General Electric's mainframe in downtown Philadelphia. I didn't get my hands on an Apple IIe until I was a university senior.

I still have some programs on tape somewhere (paper tape).

I see MacNelly's / "Shoe" DNA. I really miss him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

do not give dogs cooked chicken bones they shatter into small sharp pieces which are bad for dog insides

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

The key word here is "puolisoosi", which is the second person genetive illative form of "puoliso", spouse: "to your spouse, of your spouse". But "puolisoosi" can ALSO be a compound word of "puoli", half, and "soosi", which kind of like gravy or sauce, but with slop-like connotations. A proper nice sauce is "kastike".

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 24, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

[

The Phantom

This story better have a loving amazing pay off. So far it has only been "the women of the Jungle Patrol is as thirsty as Worubu is stupid."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Excellent use of the Sunday strips's bigger format to better establish someone's characterization. "I am, at best, a man of science" really says a lot about how Zarkov sees himself.

Hostile V posted:

[buries my face in my hands] god I am not looking forward to revisiting January 2021 even if I did experience those strips in real time and can't remember them.

Jesus christ, this comic. With Lindesfarne involved, I was already preparing myself for something idiotic like her debating the hate group using facts and logic, but this is stupider than I could have ever imagined. The "heroes" solution to destroy racists is through illegal DNA testing and mass doxxing.

And this isn't getting into Holbrook's utter lack of thought given into the message of making every member of a hate group someone with multiracial background/ancestry.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I don't even know where to start with this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

And this isn't getting into Holbrook's utter lack of thought given into the message of making every member of a hate group someone with multiracial background/ancestry.

The best possible implication here is that, say, a pure Wolf or hamster or Eagle simply doesn't exist. Literally everybody in the setting is a cross-species mutt of some kind.

Which does make the title characters even less special for their relationship, but we've already had that massively and repeatedly undermined, so...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

amigolupus posted:

Excellent use of the Sunday strips's bigger format to better establish someone's characterization. "I am, at best, a man of science" really says a lot about how Zarkov sees himself.

Yeah I like this a lot. Like a lot of strips they're using Sunday as a recap of things we've already seen, so that people who missed weekday strips can catch up, but now it's from Zarkov's perspective so we're still getting new information and characterization.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 19, 1960)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Posti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/26/03

Brenda Starr 2/25-27/52

Smokey Stover 3/30/58

Everyday Movies 1/1/37

"Pardon me, ma'am -- the night club downstairs wants to know if your guests could make a little less noise."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/24-26/42

Closer Than We Think! 3/30/58

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

"I could never bring myself to kill these mice, so I just trap them -- unmoving, unfeeling, but still alive, still thinking. Sometimes I imagine what they're thinking, what they're screaming. 'Kill us... Release us...' And I look down at them and whisper 'no'."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

mycatscrimes posted:

I'd start with "Canonically, she has the ability to reverse their aging through DNA potion, combined with miscellaneous DNA magic to cure whatever ails them, so there's no need to euthanize these sapient, speaking mice at all unless they want to die."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
She can also make them human so lmao at asking them what flower they want to be. "I was hoping for something short lived with minimal day to day care. No, even less than mice."

Unironically a body horror villain with an abyss of a soul.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
do you guys think Holbrook ever saw Tusk and thought, why that man is just misunderstood!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What kills my about Overboard is that I remember reading it in old Larson! and Ernie comic books back in the early aughts and the art hasn’t changed at all.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Santa's Victory Christmas, in which wartime austerity imposes itself on fantasy time. (November 26, 1942)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 21, 1935)

Peanuts (November 29, 1976)

Crankshaft, in which Mindy is the most realistically written character in the strip.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (March 18-20, 1935)

Thimble Theater (July 1, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 31-June 2, 1943)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mycatscrimes posted:

The author's barely-disguised mermaid fetish?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (July 1, 1940)

A quality Plopeye comic.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Zereth posted:

do not give dogs cooked chicken bones they shatter into small sharp pieces which are bad for dog insides

Great post/avatar combo here.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis oh man what if this is the beginning of a Billingsley divorce arc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

Gluyas Williams:

quote:

Thompson ran again in 1927 during a citywide gang war, aiming to unseat his successor, William Dever. Always a flamboyant campaigner, Thompson held a primary-election debate between himself and two live rats which he used to portray his opponents. Pledging to clean up Chicago and remove the crooks, Thompson instead turned his attention to the reformers, whom he considered the real criminals. According to Thompson, the biggest enemy the United States had was King George V of the United Kingdom. Thompson promised his supporters, many of whom were Irish, that if they ever met, Thompson would punch the king in the nose, or at other times, that he would arrest His Majesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

manero posted:

Pluggers

THAT HAPPENED 19 YEARS AGO YOU UNFUNNY MOTHERFUCKERS FIND A NEW loving JOKE