Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Another Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/20e36219df2741838b2737aa9318430e

Once again, W was inexplicably open. Also two Surveyors, such a good card. I took Amalia for fun, but she's actually been pretty useful with Totes, the Revenant, and various lifeleechers. I speculated on the UW signpost, because splashing seemed free, and built this:

I immediately had two games where I lost because I only drew Plains (first game, not the splash's fault) and then only Plains and the U cave (second game, definitely the splash's fault). So I took the splash out to achieve more consistency and immediately got into the most insane game I had in this format yet. They had the GW signpost uncommon, Explorer's Satchel to keep putting counters on stuff, and a 5/7 flier that could attack every turn and draw a card. Later they also played the 3/4 GW mythic that cares about grown creatures so uh that was an example of the archetype just working. So I lost, right?

Nope!

I cascaded into Join the Dead to start with, killing their flier. They overcommitted into a big attack with an 11/11 uuuh the Rare that's XG Explores X times (man they had a sick deck), I could quadruple block that, and the mythic they attacked with ran into my clutch 3/3 mancaveland (and a token). That was the key turn to allow me to then rip the Revenant, and start draining every turn. However, I was running out of cards, so I had to finish the game fast. Guidewing pinging helped, but they drew a Reacher. Okay, but I was still winning just from sheer number of creatures, right? But then they ripped the perfect card - Bricks, gaining them 2 life and making 2 blockers, super annoying. However, my final card in the deck was Petrify, so the Guidewing presented 2 guaranteed damage, so I only needed to push one more...and that was, if you check out the blocks above, exactly enough because I had one more attacker than they had blockers.

Even if I lose the next game and 1-3 out, I respect this deck hard for pulling that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Welp 2/3 with yesterday's one. Lost the last match on 'all lands wrong colour no player before turn 3 > all lands wrong colour > 2 lands Guidewing into Barto, sac Guidewing to explore, fail to hit land, get edicted.

Fuckin hate that last match.

This was pretty much my last limited experience except with UR aggro. I’ve made my peace with that kind of variance in ranked but these bad beats feel extra bad in draft.

I could definitely improve at mulligans, but so often taking 2 mulls feels like you’re just conceding with extra steps.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
My last two drafts: Orzhov (W/B) artifacts/descend/control - ish deck https://www.17lands.com/draft/5acdf7b544bc468bb012cb62a96ee50c that went 4-3 in Plat 4. My friends said they would of went izzett which is fair. Sucks that I had to mull practically ever game but that's on me for not getting more early plays I think.

Mostly Red High Roll Artifact Deck - https://www.17lands.com/draft/ba1d2184094d41b19054817651c1fcdf went 2 - 3 because most times it was behind and didn't get any of the cards it needed to pop off. But when it did, it was glorious.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

thespaceinvader posted:

Welp 2/3 with yesterday's one. Lost the last match on 'all lands wrong colour no player before turn 3 > all lands wrong colour > 2 lands Guidewing into Barto, sac Guidewing to explore, fail to hit land, get edicted.

Fuckin hate that last match.

Sac isn't great in the format because there aren't quite enough payoffs. You'd ideally want to sac those cards that draw you + gain life vs sac real cards like Guidewing.

Supposedly there is a BW control deck that works. And Mono Black control can be pretty busted. I think the general gameplan is remove their resources, possibly stabilize with lifegain as anti aggro plan, and grind using recursion.

If you're having a tougher time this format, lean towards drafting more white and/or blue and look into getting into Blue Red (generally aggro/tempo) or Blue White (can be aggro flyers or more controlling with artifacts - the difference is the curve/gameplan because white/blue cards can play both control and aggro roles).

And if any drafted deck is confusing when building it out, just ask yourself what's your game plan and what the opponent is doing that will prevent you from winning. It's a bit like constructed in the sense that you want to understand the meta/opponent's gameplan and build around it.

Good luck!

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 25, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

This was pretty much my last limited experience except with UR aggro. I’ve made my peace with that kind of variance in ranked but these bad beats feel extra bad in draft.

I could definitely improve at mulligans, but so often taking 2 mulls feels like you’re just conceding with extra steps.

It is. Mulling to 6 is winnable, mulling to 5 IIRC pushes your winrate down by like 80 to 90 per cent unless you're doing it in specifically a 3-card combo deck like turn 2 dragon

As ever i really wish the ranked draft queue was the bo3 one and the bo1 queue was unranked, i hate feeling like the games are So Importnt because losing costs me being able to continue playing AND being in among the tryhards.

I'm generally far better off being the beatdown, i'm bad at playing control and navigating heavily stalled boards, so I prefer the UR and RG decks a lot in this format, but if you get something else you get something else.

Realistically though in this format I like playing a deck in which i drafted 3 plus big bombs, which has sadly only really happened to me twice.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 25, 2023

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

thespaceinvader posted:

As ever i really wish the ranked draft queue was the bo3 one and the bo1 queue was unranked, i hate feeling like the games are So Importnt because losing costs me being able to continue playing AND being in among the tryhards.
Please no, ranked draft queue in BO3 would make it nigh-unplayable and make it even harder to draft a full set of cards. BO1 ranked is already an issue (should it really be ranked at all?) with no way to play around bombs you don't see coming.

Tezzeract posted:

If you're having a tougher time this format, lean towards drafting more white and/or blue and look into getting into Blue Red (generally aggro/tempo) or Blue White (can be aggro flyers or more controlling with artifacts - the difference is the curve/gameplan because white/blue cards can play both control and aggro roles).
This is true and a very good way to draft this set. Ideally you get handed a deck like this, which won me one of my easiest 3-0s in Traditional Draft in recent memory. You can see how my opponents just handed me the winning cards, possibly due to not respecting Spyglass Siren or Clay-Fired Bricks: https://www.17lands.com/draft/03645a4c5c97418cbbec64f449344852

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah tbf I more mean 'if there has to be a ranked draft queue at all can it not be Bo1'.

At least make the Quick queue unranked.

IDK whether I've just been missing open lanes or whether i've just been in generally lower-quality pools but I've really struggled to put together the low-end playables in a way that works,s o whern I've won it's usually been either massive bombs or getting super lucky with getting hooked up on good commons.

It's obvious when I'm in a very open lane, but I'm never sure when i'm not whether it's just because one or more colours happened to be poo poo in pack 1 so everyone's fighting over a smaller batch of cards.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 25, 2023

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

This draft log is nutters

I have done 5 drafts so far and have ended up UR in every one.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah tbf I more mean 'if there has to be a ranked draft queue at all can it not be Bo1'.

At least make the Quick queue unranked.

IDK whether I've just been missing open lanes or whether i've just been in generally lower-quality pools but I've really struggled to put together the low-end playables in a way that works,s o whern I've won it's usually been either massive bombs or getting super lucky with getting hooked up on good commons.

It's obvious when I'm in a very open lane, but I'm never sure when i'm not whether it's just because one or more colours happened to be poo poo in pack 1 so everyone's fighting over a smaller batch of cards.

One of things I find helpful when I actually do it is opening 17lands during the draft to see what was taken on the wheel. Sometimes good cards wheel because of bad evaluations, sometimes because it's the fourth best good common in a super deep pack, sometimes because it's actually wide open.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

got some chores tonight posted:

One of things I find helpful when I actually do it is opening 17lands during the draft to see what was taken on the wheel. Sometimes good cards wheel because of bad evaluations, sometimes because it's the fourth best good common in a super deep pack, sometimes because it's actually wide open.

This tool can help with that by giving you the cards taken, as well as some stats from 17lands on the cards in each pack: https://github.com/bstaple1/MTGA_Draft_17Lands
It's a little janky in classic FOSS style but it works pretty well if you don't want to or can't use one of the more well known draft helpers/trackers.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Even if I lose the next game and 1-3 out, I respect this deck hard for pulling that off.

sick :frogc00l:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dangit

I had a good RG dinos/discover deck in QD with Carnosaur and the doubler guy, and literally every time I discovered off the Carnosaur it went Itzzquinth without open mana to use the abiltiy (in two out of four cases, with land in hand I could have played first to get two open mana) into Walk with the Ancestors, missing an extra doubler trigger.

RNG fuckin hated that deck lmao. I feel like I should have enjoyed it but it was mostly just turbo frustrating.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Am I crazy to run Quint here? Doesn't really fit with my UR plan, but is obviously a great card and lots of treasure generation.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
The current festival event is really bad, the dino deck is just so much better than the others there is no reason to do anything else. And the playerbase seems to have picked up on it, because nobody is doing anything else.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ended up going 4-3. With two losses to brutal mana screw, that's very respectable. The final loss was to a UB deck with some questionable card choices (Canonized in Blood, Frilled Cave-Wurm) but a turn 3 Corpses of the Lost and later a Terror Tide. I almost stabilized but whoops they had a Gorestalker too against my two creatures. Tried my best but couldn't cut it in the end.

Generally, this deck was a lot of fun to play but boy could it get grueling. Look at those turn counts:

In the match against the Boros opp I managed to beat both Glyphbridge and Resplendent Angel, so I'm confident in saying that my deck was Good, Actually.

I listened to Limited Level Ups this afternoon while doing some chores and mused about something said there wrt my deck in the Discord:

quote:

Something interesting he [Alex of LLU] pointed out: that he sees a big problem for B in the fact that it can slow down the game quite well, but then it has no clear avenues to win, as the Descend payoffs that are the late-game intended strat are just not that good
And I can definitely see that with my B decks that just take foreeeever to play
However, he correctly says that if you do build your B decks as control decks, then even just a 3/5 flier can already help you cross the finish line
And that's exactly what my current Orzhov deck does
I thought that was a good perspective on the worst color in the format
Also, that G is second worst because it can only really do aggro or midrange (with big butts), but that's not bad just narrow and it will win you games, while the Jeskai colors can easily do both aggro and control and have a lot of cards that are amazing in both styles
So you can start out picking good Jeskai cards and then at some point decide okay I'm going to run them over in the air OR I'm going to wait until my craft comes online, while a B deck will always have to play a slow plan and if you've started picking up e.g. good aggressive W cards, then got lured into B, you're sitting there with half a control deck and lose

Another thing pointed out both during play and in the Discord: a Hoverstone Pilgrim would be amazing in a deck like this because it can both win as well as prevent you from ever losing. In both games against the GW opps I got close to decking but I feel like I could have just held on forever barring decking, and well, that's exactly what Pilgrim is great at preventing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Another Premier yo. Looks like I got inspired by the Boros player with the Resplendent Angel cuz I opened one (this is how inspiration works)

https://www.17lands.com/draft/630035207b144b319c4dae0ed8f945d6

W was, once again, disgustingly open (it's the second best color in the format by a small margin. Please draft W people). Fortunate for my angel plans. I decided to pair it with Boros, and speculated on an artifact subtheme. Didn't go super well, but I think I got enough generically good aggro cards to make a fine deck:

Note that this leaves two Sunshot Militia, a Dowsing Device and a Blademaster on the table because I don't think I have the volume of sit-around artifacts to make that work reliably. 7 artifacts + two treasure-makers should hopefully be enough to turn on the Tomb Raiders. Otherwise the plan is to put Equipment on Guide-Wings and finish with a big War Scribe hit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haven't had a lot of time to play LCI so far but I got in my fourth draft this weekend, went 7-1 in QD with this deck.

I didn't really have high hopes for it after drafting because the explore synergies I wanted didn't come together and it felt a bit low on artifacts for that half of the deck, but I think I played every card in there at some point and they all felt pretty good. Just playing creatures early and following it up with interaction is sometimes enough for a trophy.

e: Malamet's Scythe performed better than I expected. I'm still not convinced it's properly good and if you want to hold it up then you're also representing like 4 other tricks in the format so people aren't likely to be that surprised. But the fact that after you win a combat you keep the extra two power is pretty strong. Same deal with Battle Glyph. Obviously both of those and explore interact nicely with Kutzil.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 26, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was also playing Standard yesterday to get my weekly XP wins before they refreshed. Went 9-2 with monowhite humans in Plat ladder, losing to monored and WBR Dragons (??). Not really sure what the rest of the meta is, I guess durdly midrange decks that I didn't get to see what they were doing before I killed them. I've liked humans for quite a while but it seems like they're especially good now: I guess nobody wants to play control with Cavern available and that means fewer sweepers to worry about.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Haven't had a lot of time to play LCI so far but I got in my fourth draft this weekend, went 7-1 in QD with this deck.

I didn't really have high hopes for it after drafting because the explore synergies I wanted didn't come together and it felt a bit low on artifacts for that half of the deck, but I think I played every card in there at some point and they all felt pretty good. Just playing creatures early and following it up with interaction is sometimes enough for a trophy.

e: Malamet's Scythe performed better than I expected. I'm still not convinced it's properly good and if you want to hold it up then you're also representing like 4 other tricks in the format so people aren't likely to be that surprised. But the fact that after you win a combat you keep the extra two power is pretty strong. Same deal with Battle Glyph. Obviously both of those and explore interact nicely with Kutzil.
You shouldn't really aim for explore synergies, the UG explore deck is bad, and conversely most creatures that explore are just good on their own so you don't actually have to have any synergies. The Axejaw for example is either a 4 mana 4/3 draw a card, or a 4 mana 5/4 Surveil, that's a phenomenal rate even for modern-day limited.

Your deck is a perfect example of how GW works in this format - play creatures above rate, smash an aggro plan, and win either by sheer speed, combat tricks or surprisingly good top end (see: Cavern Stomper). The only cards that don't really fit that in your deck are Bricks and Sawblades (tho you'll play those anyway because they're phenomenal), Tote (again tho you'll usually play this regardless), and Companion + Scythe (because they're kinda bad and you'd rather have better cards). Ofc even a mediocre card can win you games and the scythe does fit rather well as an okay trick that leaves sth behind, as you correctly stated.

Kutzil is a very nice bonus but once again: doesn't even need synergy to be good, though drawing off an Aspirant is amazing, or forcing super awkward Axejaw blocks on the opp. But the passive alone is way worth it.

btw the Boros deck is 2-0 already. An Izzet opp tried to race and I was like I just played Tote?! Are you out of your mind? You could block my 3/3 with your 3/4 what are you doing?! I had 17 life when they conceded at 8.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it! Still getting to grips with this format. Related to that I'm not sure how well you can splash here. I know there are a couple of caves but I think not much nonland fixing outside of RG? I'm doing another QD and at the end of pack 1 I have a decent UW start. Now I have this P2P1:

It seems to me the Belligerent is probably better than Waylaying Pirates if I can cast it but I don't have any other reason to be in red yet (Dinotomaton might wheel here I guess but I don't think I'd splash just for that). Do you speculate on the rare or just take another good, safe blue card and maybe wheel a Gemguard or cave?

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Aclturtle Bash

4 Bloodletter of Aclazotz (LCI) 92
11 Swamp (LTR) 267
2 Bedrock Tortoise (LCI) 176
9 Forest (LTR) 271
2 Leaping Ambush (WOE) 177
4 Staggering Size (LCI) 214
3 Grafted Butcher (MOM) 109
4 Ichor Drinker (MOM) 111
2 Phyrexian Arena (ONE) 104
2 Murder (ANB) 53
2 Tyrranax Atrocity (ONE) 188
4 Jungle Hollow (MOM) 270
4 Venerated Rotpriest (ONE) 192
2 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
2 Lord Skitter's Butcher (WOE) 99
3 Greedy Freebooter (LCI) 109

Bedrock Tortoise and Bloodletter of Aclotzl are a pretty fun mix.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it! Still getting to grips with this format. Related to that I'm not sure how well you can splash here. I know there are a couple of caves but I think not much nonland fixing outside of RG? I'm doing another QD and at the end of pack 1 I have a decent UW start. Now I have this P2P1:

It seems to me the Belligerent is probably better than Waylaying Pirates if I can cast it but I don't have any other reason to be in red yet (Dinotomaton might wheel here I guess but I don't think I'd splash just for that). Do you speculate on the rare or just take another good, safe blue card and maybe wheel a Gemguard or cave?
Splashing is generally not a good idea unless it's the absolute bombiest of rares and you already got some incidental splash help (treasure makers, Scampering Surveyor). So I don't think the Belligerent is the best pick here, it's great but not wins-you-the-game-immediately busted.

Another question: are you sure you are Blue? There's one great blue card in your pool, the rest is replacement level. I'd focus on W for now and keep my eyes open if you don't want to dip into another color. Or you pick the 4/3 and go Boros aggro. I do think Gemguard is a safer pick for you though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's fair, Pakpatiq is great but I don't have many instants and the rest of my blue is just decent: it's easy to tunnel on the rares/mythics. Thanks for the advice!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Struggling with cuts down to 40 for this premier draft.

Pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb

The 46/40 I have so far: https://www.17lands.com/deck/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb

Any help or criticism is appreciated.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I was also playing Standard yesterday to get my weekly XP wins before they refreshed. Went 9-2 with monowhite humans in Plat ladder, losing to monored and WBR Dragons (??). Not really sure what the rest of the meta is, I guess durdly midrange decks that I didn't get to see what they were doing before I killed them. I've liked humans for quite a while but it seems like they're especially good now: I guess nobody wants to play control with Cavern available and that means fewer sweepers to worry about.

Mono U felt pretty bad to play with all these Caverns, basically blanking out a bunch of your cards. I think counters won't be great in this meta.

I crafted Mono W and it's pretty powerful (my winrate is definitely lower than 9-2 though :)).

kung fu jive posted:

The 46/40 I have so far: https://www.17lands.com/deck/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb

Think I like these cuts, basically a controll-y deck that grinds them out and flips your artifacts to win.
https://sealeddeck.tech/FKDAAxsFnl

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kung fu jive posted:

Boulders are terrible, out. Canonized in Blood is awful, out. Deep Goblin Skulltaker looks much better than it performs, cut that too.

The sac theme doesn't even work well in BW; I'd thus cut all of it out in UB. Freebooter, Vito's Inquisitor out. Fanatical Offering can stay, it's always good and you can sac Snails, Wrestler, 1/2 River Herald Scout, a Map token...

Let's take a look at the sideboard. Both Echo of Dusk and Stinging Cave Crawler are pretty good, I'd play those. Cut Wail of the Forgotten (not a Permanent, very rarely gonna be at 8 when you cast it, kinda whatever anyway) and...probably Out of Air, though the Pirates are also not great for your deck They are a permanent though. Another candidate for cutting is Ancestral Reminiscence. It's too bad that you didn't get any of the landcyclers, then Defossilize would be awesome. As is, barely any targets, so probably not worth playing it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tezzeract posted:

Mono U felt pretty bad to play with all these Caverns, basically blanking out a bunch of your cards. I think counters won't be great in this meta.

I crafted Mono W and it's pretty powerful (my winrate is definitely lower than 9-2 though :)).

Think I like these cuts, basically a controll-y deck that grinds them out and flips your artifacts to win.
https://sealeddeck.tech/FKDAAxsFnl

Slightly different take

https://sealeddeck.tech/rj9LZR39WK

Swapping out a Sage and U/B instant for Defossilze and Another Chance. He has no descend payoffs other than Uchenbak. The only way this deck is likely to get there is if Uchenbak can get recurred multiple times before resorting to Descend 8 for a finality counter so we want both cards in the deck that allow for that. Zoetic Glyph looks suspicious with very few ways to make artifacts but it is a house so I guess it stays?

I didn't notice Ancestral Reminiscence in there before I hit publish. Wail is likely better than that being modal and cheaper?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i took a risk on my p1p1 this draft and ended up with a very fun and strange deck https://www.17lands.com/draft/6be1684c492542d89348d79cd73aff85

i 3-3'd it, which i'm happy with under the circumstances. i got absolutely blown out by a malicious eclipse in one game that i definitely should have seen coming. still, it's fun to know that you can totally throw out the principle rules of drafting and still succeed with the right cards

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Thanks y'all. I ended up making some tweaks as I went along. Settled on this for the most part: https://www.17lands.com/deck/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb/3

Went 7-1.

I have no idea how MMR works in limited but I have a feeling it's matching me with similarly new accounts because I ran into a lot of jank. This is my second limited event on arena. With that said, the list put consistent pressure on my opponents and I drew into all the answers I needed. Still feels weird not playing Bo3 and not playing within my draft pod but I guess I'll adjust. Not complaining, wins are wins. The last game was fun - tapped down one of three defending creatures with Uchbenbak, the Great Mistake and Titan attacking for lethal. Replay here: https://www.17lands.com/history/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb/7/0

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kung fu jive posted:

I have no idea how MMR works in limited

This is a thing? I thought they just matched you up with players of the same rank.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Boulders are terrible, out.

hey gently caress you buddy

they're really bad but I would put them in my deck in the right circumstances

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

MikeC posted:

This is a thing? I thought they just matched you up with players of the same rank.

Sorry I’m new to limited on Arena. If they match by rank that would explain it. I was in Bronze despite being an Old Fogey in overall magic experience.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kung fu jive posted:

Sorry I’m new to limited on Arena. If they match by rank that would explain it. I was in Bronze despite being an Old Fogey in overall magic experience.

You might be right? I was just wondering

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
so i guess trumpeting carnosaur is gonna get banned in standard

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The information we've got has mostly been that in limited it's primarily rank and then match record, but as always if it's taking to long to find you a match they widen the range they'll match you against more and more. A lot of the steamers joke that if they run into someone a couple ranks down they know they're screwed because that player clearly drafted the god deck to get match up like that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MikeC posted:

there is limited MMR plus your draft deck's record in terms of calculations

efb

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tezzeract posted:

It's an interesting deck in that there are a lot of ways you can build it. The base is 4x Adeline, Thalia, Coppercoat Vanguard, Hopeful Initiate and Recruitment Officer, but the other slots are all up for debate and I've seen a lot of different versions with various utility creatures.

I'm playing Brutal Cathar with no Ossifications, and trying out Extraction Specialist for the first time at the moment. Spellbook Vendor I have one copy just to see and I'm unsure about whether it should be four or none. Basically everyone has 1-3 Skrelv, I'm currently on 2. My build has Resolute Reinforcements as a bit of a hedge against removal, but when Selesnya enchantments was more popular I played Cathar Commando instead. Knight-Errant is a great way to reload, but often tapping creatures to convoke feels bad over just attacking. Intrepid Adversary is sweet but seems out of favour at the moment. And then I've seen versions running the big bunny, various hand disruption stuff, lifegain, all sorts. I really have no idea what the best build is, but the base is powerful enough that you have a lot of room to experiment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ex post facho posted:

so i guess trumpeting carnosaur is gonna get banned in standard

Why do you say that? Seems like it's a problem in the legacy formats in combo with older stuff.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
there's a pretty gross interaction with it and Undercover Operative and Seeing Double. Throw in a Pahlani's Hatcher and Nahiri's Resolve and you have a hasted board of 8 or 9 8/6 trampling dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who only played this game in person before the last 2 weeks, I really did not appreciate the amount of precision involved in this game. When we play in person, we play fast and loose.

Having to respond to attackers at the precombat main phase rather than in response to them attacking, tapping the wrong combination of lands and not being able to be "my bad, let me adjust", playing a card that bounces with the wrong timing with having wanted to use an ability on the thing you are bouncing, etc...

I've come to realize I (and the people I play with) make tons of mistakes in real life all the time and we just allow all these minor adjustments that actually are correcting what would be game-losing mistakes.

I have to say I'm not sure the game is actually better with this level of precision. It just seems more fiddly. Especially as I am only interested in limited, and they are incredibly stingy, so losing in these ways strips me of the opportunity to play more unless I want to pay.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 27, 2023