Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The IDF has collapsed the tunnels under Alshifa in their retreat.

So i guess well never know if there really was a hamas superbase under there :nallears:

Can you please provide sources when making relatively big claims like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fidelitious posted:

Can you please provide sources when making relatively big claims like this.

[url]https://m.jpost.com/arab-israeli-conflict/gaza-news/article-774895[/url]

E:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/before-truce-idf-destroys-hamas-tunnel-under-shifa-hospital-completes-new-deployment/

There was a jerusalem post article about it but its been buried somewhere in the live updates blog structure.
The sourceof this can be traced back to Kan 11, Israeli state owned news.

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1727926828935909377

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 26, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The IDF has collapsed the tunnels under Alshifa in their retreat.

So i guess well never know if there really was a hamas superbase under there :nallears:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any historical similarities to this conflict? Oppressed/oppressor geopolitics etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any historical similarities to this conflict? Oppressed/oppressor geopolitics etc

Plenty of similarities, but no scenarios that really map well as a whole.

There's reasons why people talk about apartheid and bantustans, because SA is an obvious comparison. Also the British in Ireland and elsewhere. Also the Third Reich. Also elements of Armenia.

If you're just looking for the geopolitics of the US supporting a genocidal state there's probably a dozen examples - read The Jakarta Method.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Here is a really good article in London Review of Books about that specific question, focusing on the general applicability of the Algerian independence struggle as an analogy (including a lot of good stuff by Fanon) and the general inapplicability of comparisons to Nazi Germany (at least those comparisons where Hamas is Nazi Germany)

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v45/n21/adam-shatz/vengeful-pathologies

quote:

Many analogies have been proposed for Al-Aqsa Flood: the Tet Offensive, Pearl Harbor, Egypt’s attack in October 1973, which started the Yom Kippur War, and, of course, 9/11. But the most suggestive analogy is a pivotal, and largely forgotten, episode in the Algerian War of Independence: the Philippeville uprising of August 1955. Encircled by the French army, fearful of losing ground to reformist Muslim politicians who favoured a negotiated settlement, the FLN launched a gruesome attack in and around the harbour town of Philippeville. Peasants armed with grenades, knives, clubs, axes and pitchforks killed – and in many cases disembowelled – 123 people, mostly Europeans but also a number of Muslims. To the French, the violence seemed unprovoked, but the perpetrators believed they were avenging the killing of tens of thousands of Muslims by the French army, assisted by settler militias, after the independence riots of 1945. In response to Philippeville, France’s liberal governor-general, Jacques Soustelle, whom the European community considered an untrustworthy ‘Arab lover’, carried out a campaign of repression in which more than ten thousand Algerians were killed. By over-reacting, Soustelle fell into the FLN’s trap: the army’s brutality drove Algerians into the arms of the rebels, just as Israel’s ferocious response is likely to strengthen Hamas at least temporarily, even among Palestinians in Gaza who resent its authoritarian rule. Soustelle himself admitted that he had helped dig ‘a moat through which flowed a river of blood’.

And the key difference between Israel and French Algeria is that there is no France for the Israelis to flee to:

quote:

The inescapable truth is that Israel cannot extinguish Palestinian resistance by violence, any more than the Palestinians can win an Algerian-style liberation war: Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs are stuck with each other, unless Israel, the far stronger party, drives the Palestinians into exile for good.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 26, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Civilized Fishbot posted:

And the key difference between Israel and French Algeria is that there is no France for the Israelis to flee to:

They do have a huge number of dual nationals though and if it came to it those without dual nationality would almost certainly have the US and Europe expedite their asylum claims. They absolutely have a Metropole.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is it crazy to think that the "high concentrations of particulate matter" have something to do with the mass bombing of buildings throughout Gaza?

It's definitely crazy to claim out of thin air (heh) to make a good analogy. Without checking what is usually the air quality around this time of year and how unique this is, or if there are any meteorological events that could cause this.

I don't know anything about air quality but I also don't know why this is in any way relevant

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They do have a huge number of dual nationals though and if it came to it those without dual nationality would almost certainly have the US and Europe expedite their asylum claims. They absolutely have a Metropole.

A metropole as in a patron/guardian empire on which they're dependent for economic and diplomatic support, absolutely.

A country from which they can flee the violence of colonization and decolonization? About 1 in 6 Israelis have one, leaving about 7.5 million without. This is the best estimate I could find:

quote:

According to a Shiluv/Ipanel poll of 500 Israelis conducted for Channel 2 news, 17 percent of Israelis already hold a foreign passport and 56% would like one.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/most-israelis-want-foreign-citizenship-passport-to-prosperity

That really is a huge number compared to other countries (probably, I couldn't find great estimates for other countries either). But it's not remotely comparable to French Algeria where virtually 100% of the French occupiers and Pied-noirs could obtain refuge in France.

The idea that America and Europe would, out of the goodness of their hearts, open their doors to millions of refugees "if it came to it" is obviously ridiculous - and even in this fantasy, to flee and seek asylum is not remotely comparable to moving/returning somewhere where you already have citizenship, as the French in Algeria got to do.

It should go without saying that this doesn't justify occupation, apartheid, or genocide - in fact it makes ending these things necessary for the safety of Israeli civilians. They mostly can't go somewhere else to get away from the threat of another October 7, nor can the state bomb it away (the Metropole itself will not allow the total ethnic cleansing of Gaza). The only thing they can do is end the conditions which made it possible - the occupation, the apartheid, the march toward genocide.

Like Said said:

The Question of Palestine posted:

Two things are certain: the Jews of Israel will remain; the Palestinians will also remain.

Arabs and Jews posted:

We must give up, once and for all, the idea that we shall have a Middle East that is as if Zionism had never happened. The Israeli Jew is there in the Middle East, and we cannot, I might even say that we must not, pretend that he will not be there tomorrow, after the struggle is over.

kiminewt posted:

It's definitely crazy to claim out of thin air (heh) to make a good analogy. Without checking what is usually the air quality around this time of year and how unique this is, or if there are any meteorological events that could cause this.

I don't know anything about air quality but I also don't know why this is in any way relevant

There was a huge air quality issue in New York after 9/11, entirely due to three large buildings and two planes being destroyed and releasing their matter into the air. In Gaza the IDF has destroyed tens of thousands of buildings, it seems logical to me that it would cause a similar problem, faced mostly by the people of Gaza but inevitably carrying beyond those borders (the article says it's coming in on wind from the west, where Gaza is).

You're right that it needs actual scientific investigation, and I'm asking the thread in case someone here is a weather nerd - I'm not, so I don't know how to do more than guess. It's relevant as far as that breathable air is a human right and that the analogy speaks for itself.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 26, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a one state solution does not equate to ethnically cleansing jewish Israeli's either way, that's Zionist propaganda. There's enough room in Palestine for all people to coexist. There is NOT room for an apartheid state.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

punishedkissinger posted:

a one state solution does not equate to ethnically cleansing jewish Israeli's either way, that's Zionist propaganda. There's enough room in Palestine for all people to coexist. There is NOT room for an apartheid state.

this. also applicable to the world at large.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

South Africa in particular, and a whole bunch of postcolonial states that had been under minority rule in general, were able to reach outcomes that aren't "everybody of the previous dominant ethnicity is killed". A bunch of them even managed it without too much violence. There are models to work with here.

My personal favorite obscure-ish one, Sri Lanka, isn't exactly a perfect model, what with the civil war, but (both origin groups of) Tamils are now integrated back into Sinhalese-majority egalitarian-ish civil society and the only government sanctioned pogroms lately have been against the Muslim minority.

The biggest threat to the feasibility of a one state (or two state) solution isn't Palestinians, it's Israeli settlers and their far right backers. Israeli centrists and leftists are rightly worried about causing a civil war among Israeli Jews, leading non-rightly to frequent paralysis even when it's not a Netanyahu+fascists ruling coalition.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Speaking as an Irish person, the one constant fear of the dominant occupying power is that the occupied population will brutalise the occupiers as badly as the occupiers have brutalised the occupied.

They always justify the cruelty by claiming their victims will turn around and hurt them as badly as they have hurt their victims

You can never lift the oppression because your victims will take the opportunity to strike back.

It's always projection, and and it's always the same.

Edit : oh poo poo, this is the terrible thread, did not mean to post here in calm Hitler land.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It doesn't necessarily equate, but it's still worth noting the difference because Algerian independence was immediately followed by a mass exodus of French Algerians of European descent (commonly known as pieds-noirs).

The pieds-noirs were never actually forced to leave, in fact. They did have the option to remain and be granted Algerian citizenship as theoretical equals under a non-apartheid system. However, it seems that after fiercely advocating for the brutal suppression of Algerian ambitions for equality, leading to the deaths of more than a million Algerians in the increasingly bloody struggle to maintain their apartheid regime, the million pieds-noirs living in Algeria didn't find nominal equality under Algerian rule to be a particularly attractive idea and didn't expect to be welcomed warmly by their Algerian neighbors. Rather than try being equals to the colonial underclass they'd looked down upon and oppressed so harshly, most of them figured they'd be happier retreating to the metropole.

It's important to bring up because, while the Israel/Palestine situation bears a lot of similarity to French Algeria, one major difference is that most of the Israeli colonists don't have that option to just leave if they don't like the dismantling of their apartheid regime. One way or another, one-state or two-state, the two sides here are going to have to live with each other - with the memories of the atrocities they've committed against each other still fresh in their minds.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

You posted earlier about the terms of the Camp David agreement in 2000, and how unfair it was.

Is there an easy source for that? I'm looking at what are supposed to be that and not seeing those details.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The process of a just peace is difficult, messy, happens in fits and starts, and always involves some level of compromise that often means people involved in previous crimes get released from prison or amnesty or what have you. The surviving bomber who killed some of my family in The Troubles was released after a few years of his sentence under the Good Friday Agreement, and that loving sucks, but (speaking for myself) if that's part of the price paid for peace then so be it, I'd rather it sucks for my family than continuing the cycle and creating more dead kids and more ruined families forevermore.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I stumbled upon an article about a couple of kids that were part of the latest batch of Hamas hostage releases: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/26/israeli-teenagers-freed-hamas-not-aware-mother-murdered.

This is absolutely devastating. It talks about how they were abducted and the fate of their parents. I don't have much to say beyond this is an example of why I can never support targeting civilians.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

You posted earlier about the terms of the Camp David agreement in 2000, and how unfair it was.

Is there an easy source for that? I'm looking at what are supposed to be that and not seeing those details.

The problem is that nobody ever wrote down an actual proposed agreement at Camp David. It was an intentional tactic in the negotiations - it was thought that both sides would need to seriously discuss concessions that would be politically unaccceptable back home, and therefore they shouldn't have to actually sign their names to anything until they had mutual agreement on a final deal. As such, most of our sources on the Camp David negotiations were anecdotal claims by the negotiators relying on their own memories and focusing on what benefited the narratives they wanted to push. There's no simple authoritative sheet of paper that lays everything out. Moreover, all of it is still a bit early in the internet era, so it's mostly documented in books and ancient news articles rather than internet articles. As such, the individual details of the deal are scattered all around in different articles and accounts, and take some piecing together. This also means that it's difficult to find neutral sources - pretty much everyone leaking the details had An Opinion about who was right and who was wrong, and most of them were trying to deflect any political blame that might come to their own side.

The sources all generally agree on the high-level details (some of the specifics, like exactly how many pieces the West Bank would have been split into, differ from source to source), but each source tends to place heavy emphasis on the stuff they thought made them look good while barely mentioning the stuff that didn't. And the majority of English-language sources were Israeli and American negotiators who placed heavy emphasis on the land concessions but weren't very interested in treating Israeli insistence on "security" concessions as something negotiable. By the way, "security" is the keyword to use when searching for these bits of Israel/Palestine deals, by the way. All this stuff is always justified under the need for Israeli "security".

Ultimately, probably the most thorough summary comes from Mahmoud Abbas himself, who described the Israeli offer in a speech at the PLO Central Council:

quote:

We went to Camp David carrying our well-known positions, positions that were adopted by several of our legislative bodies. The positions we adopted are, in our point of view, the minimum that we can accept. They are positions that are based on United Nations Resolutions 242, 338 and 194. They are based on agreements signed between the Israelis and us, they are based on Israeli documents concerning the 1948 nakba (catastrophe) and the forced expulsion of Palestinians from their homes, and they are based on UN Security Council resolutions dealing with Jerusalem and Jewish settlements.

We stressed to the Americans that for a summit at such a level to succeed it must be prepared for and prepared for well. We cautioned that because of the lack of preparation the prospect of its failure is high. The Americans agreed that a summit that this level needed preparation and they agreed with us that time must be given for preparations. We agreed with Secretary Albright that would have two weeks to prepare. We were later surprised by a telephone call from President Clinton inviting us to a summit that was to be held within a week.

We were faced with two choices, to go knowing very well that the summit will fail and that the Americans may blame us for its failure, or to refuse to attend and be accused of sabotaging the peace process. So we took the first choice.

We went to Camp David not to say NO to the Americans and the world Zionists. We went to say YES to a lasting and just peace. To say YES to international legitimacy and when we failed to reach that, we said NO. Again, we did not go to Camp David to not reach an agreement or to reject points for the sake of rejection so that it would be said that we stood strong. We went to reach an agreement; we dealt with every issue with a strong desire to reach an agreement that would end this conflict that has lasted the entire century.

To assist us in this effort we brought to Camp David eight young, bright legal advisors and maps experts who, on request were ready to present documentation and advise which they had been preparing for such occasions. We feel very proud of these fine, energetic lawyers in who we have great trust and are very happy to have on our side.

Through the Americans the Israelis presented their vision on Jerusalem. They envisioned a Jerusalem where some villages around the city would come under Palestinian sovereignty. Neighborhoods outsides the walled the Old City would remain under Israeli sovereignty with the Palestinians having some type of sefl-rule. The quarters inside the Old City would be divided. The Jewish and Armenian Quarters will be sliced away from the Muslim and Christian Quarters, which will be ruled under a special system. In their attempt to sell this to the Palestinians, they threw in sovereign headquarters for the Palestinian President inside the Old City.

Israel refused to accept moral and legal responsibility for the plight of the refugees. Israel only showed willingness to allow several hundreds to return every year on humanitarian causes. As for compensation, Israel said any fund that will be established would also compensate Jews who left Arab countries.

On borders, Israel demanded control over the Palestinian borders with Jordan and Egypt. Israel also asked to control 15-20 percent of the Jordan River and a sector of the Jordan Valley. Israel also wants to annex 10.5 percent of the West Bank to absorb the settlements. But all West Bank settlements do not sit on more than 1.8 percent.

Israel says it needs 3-5 army bases for monitoring and intervention purposes. Israel also demands that the air space be completely under its control. It asked for a presence at all international entry points to monitor persons, products and weapons. As for the state of Palestine, it must be a demilitarized state.

If we were to summarize the positions of both, the Palestinians and Israel it would be as follows:

Security:

The Israelis want control over a part of the Jordan Valley for a maximum 12-year period. That would keep the current military bases and settlements there untouched. The Israelis asked for six bases in the West Bank and three military monitoring areas. Israel demanded it have a presence at the international crossings (to monitor those entering and leaving the area. Israel also demanded the entire air space and electro-magnetic space to be under its control. The Palestinians said they would accept an international force or a multi-national force on the borders. What we won't accept is an Israeli presence, in any form on Palestinian territory.

Borders:

Israel wants to crave out 15-20 percent of the Jordan River and Dead Sea border and to annex 10.5 percent of West Bank Land. The Palestinians rejected any carving of borders. Light border amendments and an exchange of lands equal in quantity and quality that does not exceed 2 percent is acceptable.

Refugees:

The Israelis agree to contribute to an international fund to be established for the compensation of Palestinian refugees. However, Israel wants the fund to compensate Jews who came to the country from Arab states. Israel agrees to the return of hundreds of refugees under a family reunification plan or on humanitarian cases. The Palestinians want Israel to take moral and legal responsibility for the refugee crisis. UN Resolution 194 must be accepted so that all refuges are guaranteed the right of return, and by return we mean to Israel. Refugees who chose to return and those who do not must be compensated. The Absentee Treasurer created in Israel in 1949 to administer refugee money is responsible for the compensation. Host countries should also be compensated. An international fund could be established but that fund would only be responsible for part of the compensation. We refuse to mix the issue of Palestinian refugees with Jews immigrants.

Jerusalem:

Jerusalem, occupied in 1967, is the city within the walls that includes the Haram al-Sharif, the Holy Sepulcher, and the Muslim, Christian, and Armenian quarters. It is also the city outside the walls, with neighborhoods like Sheikh Jarrah. Musrara, Damascus Gate, Saleh Eldin Street and others.

The Israeli position divides Jerusalem into several sections and gave each section a different legal status.

1-The walled city:

The Haram al-Sharif: Israel to have sovereignty and the Palestinians will be given guardianship The Muslim, Christian, and Armenian Quarters: to remain under Israeli sovereignty A Palestinian presidential complex inside the Muslim Quarter that will be given sovereign power.

2- Outside the walled city: sovereignty remains with Israel with municipal functions over these neighborhoods to be carried out by the municipality of Abu Dis. With the exception of two villages, villages surrounding Jerusalem, most of which are area B, will come under Palestinian sovereignty. Israel will have a road that runs through the villages linking them to areas under their sovereignty. The Palestinians will only have one road linking them to the Haram.

The Palestinian position:

All of east Jerusalem should be returned to Palestinian sovereignty. The Jewish Quarter and Western Wall should be placed under Israeli authority not Israeli sovereignty. An open city and cooperation on municipal services

This is our summary of the results of the Camp David negotiations. But the Israelis had a different understanding that was revealed in subsequent local meetings. Israel wants 10.5 percent of the West Bank and rejects the idea of a land exchange. Israel wants 5 monitoring posts with three roads leading to them. Three Israeli administered early warning systems with a Palestinian liaison officer present at the stations. Israeli control over 8 percent of the Jordan Valley for a 12-15 year period. No right of return to Israel. Israel may accept the return of 10,000 Palestinians over a 15-year period under a family reunification plan. Air space to come under Palestinian sovereignty but will be controlled by Israel through guiding systems. An end to the conflict A demilitarized Palestinian state Jerusalem: The same position as in Camp David.

This is the Israeli position as told to us ten days ago. It shows that there are fundamental differences in the positions and that the gaps between the two sides remain very wide.

A declaration of an independent state is a right our people can execute at any time. In 1988, when we declared our state in exile, more than 100 countries recognized that declaration. But recognition of a state on the ground is different that that of a state in exile. And though many nations have said they are in favor of an independent state many hinted of the necessity to declare once prepared on the ground and or after an agreement between the sides is reached. And so we must now stop and think.

Committing to a date has its positive side, it shows that dates and promise are respected and kept, but such a commitment must be based on good preparations not emotional reactions.

We need to carefully study the Israeli response to the declaration. If Israel were to respond negatively, we need to study what measures she will take and how will we respond to these measures.

Arafat himself described similar things in an interview with PBS, though it's a bit hard to parse because they didn't really clean up his English:

quote:

Q: If I may go back to Camp David? You couldn't accept the proposals in Camp David. Why?

A: Because there are some points which, if you are in my place, you will not accept it. I will give you the control ... of the airspace. ... And also, I accepted for them ... early-warning station. ... Early warning station, three, with the participation of the Americans and the participation of the Palestinians.

But they are insisting to have, also, big -- not only military, big military bases with all armaments in Jordan Valley under their control. What's the meaning of that? And also, the borders between us and the Egyptians. Who can accept that? I told him, OK. Why not to be like Sinai, international forces headed by the Americans? Or like Syria, Golan Heights, or like south Lebanon, also international forces? Why only the Palestinians will accept your conditions? And not only that, some very critical points for our sacred Christian and Muslim holy places. As an example, the control of the Armenian quarter with all its churches. Who can accept this? I told him, "You have to remember" -- in front of Clinton -- "I cannot betray my brothers to the Armenians." And also, they have to control the area in which Santa Maria church is there. ... And they didn't reply.

Also, they have the sovereignty beyond the Harem as-Sharif. And we have the control over the Harem as-Sharif. Who can accept this? For this, if you remember, when I returned, I asked for immediate meeting for the Committee of Jerusalem of the Islamic Conference. And for the first time, I asked His Majesty, the King of Morocco, King Mohammed VI, that special representatives for all the mosques and for all the churches in Jerusalem will participate with us. And he accepted.

And after that, they had participated also in the Islamic Conference, took place in Qatar. And the meeting of the Foreign Affairs, Islamic Foreign-- And recently, in the meeting also of Jerusalem which took place recently, one week ago in Morocco, and I offered to them what had been offered to me. And this had been refused.

Other Palestinian negotiators detailed similar issues as well, as covered by Haaretz:

quote:

Members of the panel of experts working alongside the Palestinian negotiating team, who have American passports in their possession that open Israel Defense Forces roadblocks, have embarked in recent weeks on a round of appearances throughout Israel. They lecture at living room meetings in homes in Herzliya and meet with forums of confused intellectuals in Jerusalem.

The questions repeat themselves: There is always someone who will ask why Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat reacted with such violence to the very generous proposals of former prime minister Ehud Barak? Had they really been prepared to accept Barak's proposal for an exchange of territories? And how could a pointed question about the right of return fail to be asked?

The young Palestinians, among them a legal adviser from New York and a doctoral student in law from Oxford, pull out an answer - in excellent English - to every question.

When Barak embarked on a spate of attacks against Arafat under the heading "I exposed his true face," the members of the Palestinian panel decided that this time they would not neglect Israeli public opinion. Under the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) logo, they collected the typical questions asked by Israeli listeners and next to
them detailed the Palestinian positions and their version of Camp David and the events that snowballed from it.

Their version, especially concerning the map that Barak proposed there, is quite close to the one that Robert Malley, former U.S. president Bill Clinton's special assistant for Arab-Israeli affairs, is now publishing in the world press (to Clinton's displeasure).

The weak points in their 11 replies, from the perspective of the Israeli questioner, remain in the areas of the violence and the right of return. It is difficult, and perhaps impossible, to explain the transition from the blow-up of the negotiations to the blowing-up of explosive devices. It is not easy to go along with the right of return while convincing suspicious Zionists that they are planning to send the refugees to Canada, with no right of return.

But the importance of the document is in the obvious effort the Palestinians are making to rehabilitate the trust in them among supporters of compromise in Israel and to allay their anxieties. If this publication is put together with the little ladder Arafat has been given in the form of observers in the territories, and if Arafat does indeed make use of it to stop the violence - the document can perhaps boost the trampled status of talks and a compromise. The document was written both in Hebrew and in English. The following is the English version:

1. Why did the Palestinians reject the Camp David Peace Proposal?
For a true and lasting peace between the Israeli and Palestinian peoples, there must be two viable and independent states living as equal neighbors. Israel's Camp David proposal, which was never set forth in writing, denied the Palestinian state viability and independence by dividing Palestinian territory into four separate cantons entirely surrounded, and therefore controlled, by Israel. The Camp David proposal also denied Palestinians control over their own borders, airspace and water resources while legitimizing and expanding illegal Israeli colonies in Palestinian territory. Israel's Camp David proposal presented a `re-packaging' of military occupation, not an end to military occupation.

2. Didn't Israel's proposal give the Palestinians almost all of the territories occupied by Israel in 1967?
No. Israel sought to annex almost 9 percent of the Occupied Palestinian Territories and in exchange offered only 1 percent of Israel's own territory. In addition, Israel sought control over an additional 10 percent of the Occupied Palestinian Territories in the form of a "long-term lease." However, the issue is not one of percentages - the issue is one of viability and independence. In a prison for example, 95 percent of the prison compound is ostensibly for the prisoners - cells, cafeterias, gym and medical facilities - but the remaining 5 percent is all that is needed for the prison guards to maintain control over the prisoner population. Similarly, the Camp David proposal, while admittedly making Palestinian prison cells larger, failed to end Israeli control over the Palestinian population.

3. Did the Palestinians accept the idea of a land swap?
The Palestinians were (and are) prepared to consider any idea that is consistent with a fair peace based on international law and equality of the Israeli and Palestinian peoples. The Palestinians did consider the idea of a land swap but proposed that such land swap must be based on a one-to-one ratio, with land of equal value and in areas adjacent to the border with Palestine and in the same vicinity as the lands to be annexed by Israel. However, Israel's Camp David proposal of a nine-to-one land swap (in Israel's favor) was viewed as so unfair as to seriously undermine belief in Israel's commitment to a fair territorial compromise.

4. How did Israel's proposal envision the territory of a Palestinian state?
Israel's proposal divided Palestine into four separate cantons surrounded by Israel: the Northern West Bank, the Central West Bank, the Southern West Bank and Gaza. Going from any one area to another would require crossing Israeli sovereign territory and consequently subject movement of Palestinians within their own country to Israeli control. Not only would such restrictions apply to the movement of people, but also to the movement of goods, in effect subjecting the Palestinian economy to Israeli control. Lastly, the Camp David proposal would have left Israel in control over all Palestinian borders, thereby allowing Israel to control not only internal movement of people and goods but international movement as well. Such a Palestinian state would have had less sovereignty and viability than the Bantustans created by the South African apartheid government.

5. How did Israel's proposal address Palestinian East Jerusalem?
The Camp David Proposal required Palestinians to give up any claim to the occupied portion of Jerusalem. The proposal would have forced recognition of Israel's annexation of all of Arab East Jerusalem. Talks after Camp David suggested that Israel was prepared to allow Palestinians sovereignty over isolated Palestinian neighborhoods in the heart of East Jerusalem, however such neighborhoods would remain surrounded by illegal Israeli colonies and would remain separated not only from each other but also from the rest of the Palestinian state. In effect, such a proposal would create Palestinian ghettos in the heart of Jerusalem.

6. Why didn't the Palestinians ever present a comprehensive permanent settlement proposal of their own in response to Barak's proposals?
The comprehensive settlement to the conflict is embodied in United Nations Resolutions 242 and 338, as was accepted by both sides at the Madrid Summit in 1991 and later in the Oslo Accords of 1993. The purpose of the negotiations is to implement these UN [Security Council] resolutions (which call for an Israeli withdrawal from land occupied by force by Israel in 1967) and reach agreement on final status issues. On a number of occasions since Camp David - especially at the Taba talks - the Palestinian negotiating team presented its concept for the resolution of the key permanent status issues. It is important to keep in mind, however, that Israel and the Palestinians are differently situated. Israel seeks broad concessions from the Palestinians. Israel has not offered a single concession involving its own territory and rights. The Palestinians, on the other hand, seek to establish a viable, sovereign state on their own territory, to provide for the withdrawal of Israeli military forces and colonies (which are universally recognized as illegal), and to secure the right of Palestinian refugees to return to the homes they were forced to flee in 1948. Although Palestinian negotiators have been willing to accommodate legitimate Israeli needs within that context, particularly with respect to security and refugees, it is up to Israel to define these needs and to suggest the narrowest possible means of addressing them.

7. Why did the peace process fall apart just as it was making real progress toward a permanent agreement?
Palestinians entered the peace process on the understanding that (1) it would deliver concrete improvements to their lives during the interim period, (2) that the interim period would be relatively short in duration - i.e., five years, and (3) that a permanent agreement would implement United Nations [Security Council] Resolutions 242 and 338. But the peace process delivered none of these things. Instead, Palestinians suffered more burdensome restrictions on their movement and a serious decline in their economic situation. Israeli colonies expanded at an unprecedented pace and the West Bank and Gaza Strip became more fragmented with the construction of settler "by-pass" roads and the proliferation of Israeli military checkpoints. Deadlines were repeatedly missed in the implementation of agreements. In sum, Palestinians simply did not experience any "progress" in terms of their daily lives.
However, what decisively undermined Palestinian support for the peace process was the way Israel presented its proposal. Prior to entering into the first negotiations on permanent status issues, Prime Minister Barak publicly and repeatedly threatened Palestinians that his "offer" would be Israel's best and final offer and if not accepted, Israel would seriously consider "unilateral separation" (a euphemism for imposing a settlement rather than negotiating one). Palestinians felt that they had been betrayed by Israel who had committed itself at the beginning of the Oslo process to ending its occupation of Palestinian lands in accordance with Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338.

8. Doesn't the violence which erupted following Camp David prove that Palestinians do not really want to live in peace with Israel?
Palestinians recognized Israel's right to exist in 1988 and reiterated this recognition on several occasions including Madrid in 1991 and the Oslo Accords in September, 1993. Nevertheless, Israel has yet to explicitly and formally recognize Palestine's right to exist. The Palestinian people waited patiently since the Madrid Conference in 1991 for their freedom and independence despite Israel's incessant policy of creating facts on the ground by building colonies in occupied territory (Israeli housing units in Occupied Palestinian Territory - not including East Jerusalem - increased by 52 percent since the signing of the Oslo Accords and the settler population, including those in East Jerusalem, more than doubled). The Palestinians do indeed wish to live at peace with Israel but peace with Israel must be a fair peace - not an unfair peace imposed by a stronger party over a weaker party.

9. Doesn't the failure of Camp David prove that the Palestinians are just not prepared to compromise?
The Palestinians have indeed compromised. In the Oslo Accords, the Palestinians recognized Israeli sovereignty over 78 percent of historic Palestine (23 percent more than Israel was granted pursuant to the 1947 UN Partition Plan) on the assumption that the Palestinians would be able to exercise sovereignty over the remaining 22 percent. The overwhelming majority of Palestinians accepted this compromise but this extremely generous compromise was ignored at Camp David and the Palestinians were asked to "compromise the compromise" and make further concessions in favor of Israel. Though the Palestinians can continue to make compromises, no people can be expected to compromise fundamental rights or the viability of their state.

10. Have the Palestinians abandoned the two-state solution and do they now insist on all of historic Palestine?
The current situation has undoubtedly hardened positions on both sides, with extremists in both Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories claiming all of historic Palestine. Nevertheless, there is no evidence that the Palestinian Authority or the majority of Palestinians have abandoned the two-state solution. The two-state solution, however, is most seriously threatened by the on-going construction of Israeli colonies and bypass roads aimed at incorporating the Occupied Palestinian Territories into Israel. Without a halt to such construction, a two-state solution may simply be impossible to implement - already prompting a number of Palestinian academics and intellectuals to argue that Israel will never allow the Palestinians to have a viable state and Palestinians should instead focus their efforts on obtaining equal rights as Israeli citizens.

11. Isn't it unreasonable for the Palestinians to demand the unlimited right of return to Israel of all Palestinian refugees?
The refugees were never seriously discussed at Camp David because Prime Minister Barak declared that Israel bore no responsibility for the refugee problem or its solution. Obviously, there can be no comprehensive solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict without resolving one of its key components: the plight of the Palestinian refugees.
There is a clearly recognized right under international law that non-combatants who flee during a conflict have the right to return after the conflict is over. But an Israeli recognition of the Palestinian right of return does not mean that all refugees will exercise that right. What is needed in addition to such recognition is the concept of choice. Many refugees may opt for (i) resettlement in third countries, (ii) resettlement in a newly independent Palestine (though they originate from that part of Palestine which became Israel) or (iii) normalization of their legal status in the host country where they currently reside. In addition, the right of return may be implemented in phases so as to address Israel's demographic concerns.

For people who aren't willing to take the Palestinian negotiators at their word, things become quite a bit more difficult, especially since those people are unlikely to accept reports from pro-Palestinian sources in general. Israeli and American sources do confirm pretty much all of this, but they largely left these parts out of the public discourse. If you're not buying up a bunch of books, you have to dig around and pick through quite a few different documents looking for scraps of confirmation here and there. I'll cite some examples of Israeli or American sources confirming the Palestinian claims:

The American "no-surprise policy" in which they pre-cleared everything with Israel first comes from this splendid article by Robert Malley, one of the US negotiators at Camp David. While it mostly covers the political circumstances influencing the deal and doesn't go into details on the deal itself, it's still an excellent read and a strong attempt to push back against American narratives pinning the blame on Arafat.

The pro-Israel alignment of Dennis Ross, the State Department guy heading up the US negotiation team, has been accused not only by Palestinians but also by other State Department employees of being biased towards Israel. ("Miller" here is Aaron David Miller, another member of the US negotiation team at Camp David 2000)

quote:

Balance is something this meticulous diplomat prizes. But a recurrent issue with Ross, who embraced the Jewish faith after being raised in a nonreligious home by a Jewish mother and Catholic stepfather, has been whether he is too close to the American Jewish community and Israel to be an honest broker with Iran or Arabs. Miller, after years of working with Ross, concluded in a book that he “had an inherent tendency to see the world of Arab-Israeli politics first from Israel’s vantage point rather than that of the Palestinians.” Another former senior State Department official, who requested anonymity because he didn’t want to jeopardize his relationship with the administration, told me, “Ross’s bad habit is preconsultation with the Israelis.” Ross earned $421,775 from speeches last year, of which more than half came from Israeli and Jewish groups, according to a financial-disclosure statement.

An openly and vehemently pro-Israel thinktank, the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, has an article by a retired general who confirms that that Israel demanded control over Palestinian airspace in 2000, though he confirms it in the course of arguing that Palestinian aviation is unacceptable for Israel and that full control over Palestinian airspace is absolutely necessary for Israeli security (drink!). The same series of articles also confirms that Israel has insisted on a demilitarized Palestinian state since Oslo. The series of articles also calls for Israeli control over the Jordan River Valley and rejects the idea of a West Bank-Gaza connection and the idea of involving international peacekeeping forces, though it doesn't clearly confirm that Israel demanded these at Camp David.

As for the Israeli border inspectors and military installations in the West Bank, as well as the division of the West Bank into multiple pieces, this paper from Middle East researcher Jeremy Pressman describes those:

quote:

At the summit, Israel offered to establish a sovereign Palestinian state encompassing the Gaza Strip, 92 percent of the West Bank, and some parts of Arab East Jerusalem.5 In return, it proposed the annexation of Jewish neighborhoods (settlements) in East Jerusalem. Israel also asked for several security measures, including early warning stations in the West Bank and an Israeli presence at Palestinian border crossings. In addition, it would accept no more than a token return of Palestinian refugees under a family reuniªcation program.6 The summit concluded without Israel and the Palestinian Authority reaching an agreement.

quote:

At Camp David, Israel made a major concession by agreeing to give Palestinians sovereignty in some areas of East Jerusalem and by offering 92 percent of the West Bank for a Palestinian state (91 percent of the West Bank and 1 percent from a land swap). By proposing to divide sovereignty in Jerusalem, Barak went further than any previous Israeli leader.

Nevertheless, on some issues the Israeli proposal at Camp David was not forthcoming enough, while on others it omitted key components. On security, territory, and Jerusalem, elements of the Israeli offer at Camp David would have prevented the emergence of a sovereign, contiguous Palestinian state. These flaws in the Israeli offer formed the basis of Palestinian objections.

Israel demanded extensive security mechanisms, including three early warning stations in the West Bank and a demilitarized Palestinian state. Israel also wanted to retain control of the Jordan Valley to protect against an Arab invasion from the east via the new Palestinian state. Regardless of whether the Palestinians were accorded sovereignty in the valley, Israel planned to retain control of it for six to twenty-one years.40

Three factors made Israel’s territorial offer less forthcoming than it initially appeared. First, the 91 percent land offer was based on the Israeli definition of the West Bank, but this differs by approximately 5 percentage points from the Palestinian definition. Palestinians use a total area of 5,854 square kilometers. Israel, however, omits the area known as No Man’s Land (50 sq. km near Latrun),41 post-1967 East Jerusalem (71 sq. km), and the territorial waters of the Dead Sea (195 sq. km), which reduces the total to 5,538 sq. km.42 Thus, an Israeli offer of 91 percent (of 5,538 sq. km) of the West Bank translates into only 86 percent from the Palestinian perspective.

Second, at Camp David, key details related to the exchange of land were left unresolved. In principle, both Israel and the Palestinians agreed to land swaps whereby the Palestinians would get some territory from pre-1967 Israel in exchange for Israeli annexation of some land in the West Bank. In practice, Israel offered only the equivalent of 1 percent of the West Bank in exchange for its annexation of 9 percent. Nor could the Israelis and Palestinians agree on the territory that should be included in the land swaps. At Camp David, the Palestinians rejected the Halutza Sand region (78 sq. km) alongside the Gaza Strip, in part because they claimed that it was inferior in quality to the West Bank land they would be giving up to Israel.43

Third, the Israeli territorial offer at Camp David was noncontiguous, breaking the West Bank into two, if not three, separate areas. At a minimum, as Barak has since confirmed, the Israeli offer broke the West Bank into two parts: “The Palestinians were promised a continuous piece of sovereign territory except for a razor-thin Israeli wedge running from Jerusalem through from [the Israeli settlement of] Maale Adumim to the Jordan River.”44 The Palestinian negotiators and others have alleged that Israel included a second east-west salient in the northern West Bank (through the Israeli settlement of Ariel).45 If true, the salient through Ariel would have cut the West Bank portion of the Palestinian state into three pieces.

Thus, at Camp David, the total Palestinian land share of the West Bank would have been closer to 77 percent for the first six to twenty-one years. Israel planned to annex 9 percent of West Bank territory while giving the Palestinians the equivalent of 1 percent from pre-1967 Israel. Israel proposed retaining control of 10 percent or more of the Jordan Valley and did not include roughly 5 percent annexation in the total (e.g., Latrun and parts of East Jerusalem).

Although Barak received significant credit for proposing to divide Jerusalem, he did not offer full Palestinian sovereignty in all the Arab neighborhoods and villages of East Jerusalem. Israel offered full Palestinian sovereignty in outlying areas of East Jerusalem, including Abu Dis, al-Aysawiyah, Shu’fat, Bayt Hanina, Qalandiya, al-Thuri, Umm Tuba, al-Sawahirah al-Gharbiyah, Kafr Aqb, and Samir Amis.46 Israel offered only Palestinian functional autonomy, not Palestinian sovereignty, in core Arab neighborhoods of East Jerusalem, including al-Shaykh Jarrah, al-Suwwanah, al-Tur, Salah-al-Din Street, Bab al-Amud (Damascus Gate), Ra’s al-Amud, and Silwan.47 When combined with
uncertainties about the future disposition of the Old City of Jerusalem, this meant that Israel would retain signiªcant sovereign rights in Arab areas of Jerusalem.

The distinction between sovereignty and functional autonomy in Jerusalem and the issue of Israeli east-west salients running through the West Bank speak directly to the history of relations between the Israelis and the Palestinians. For Israelis, control of a single, thin road that stretched across the West Bank might have seemed nonthreatening and not like a border at all. Yet given Israel’s repeated closures of Palestinian areas, extensive use of checkpoints, and emphasis on asserting every right in past agreements, the Palestinians probably feared that narrow salients or even individual roadways could very quickly become permanent divisions. Barak’s later claim, for instance, that “Palestinian territorial continuity would have been assured by a tunnel or bridge” might sound hollow given such promises as the long-delayed travel corridor linking the Gaza Strip and West Bank for Palestinians.48 The same held true for Jerusalem: Functional autonomy is not the same as sovereignty, and that distinction could come back to haunt Palestinians in the future.

At Camp David, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators made little progress on the right of return for Palestinian refugees. It was not a central focus of the talks at the summit. According to one Palestinian negotiator, “The refugee issue did not budge one inch at Camp David.”49

As a side note, it's much easier to confirm details of more recent negotiations. For example, the detailed minutes of the 2008 Olmert-Abbas negotiations were leaked as part of the Palestine Papers, giving us extensive documentation of exactly what was discussed there. For my initial posts on Camp David 2000, I mostly worked backwards, making a list of the things I know Israel has demanded in every subsequent negotiation and then specifically searching for any evidence of those same demands also coming up in 2000.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pookah posted:

Edit : oh poo poo, this is the terrible thread, did not mean to post here in calm Hitler land.

It's actually been holding up well, ideologically (generally the concern, I gather) and otherwise

internet vfw has a good one, much more inclined towards ideological moderation but has a slightly different heavily factual bent so it usually has reporting this one doesn't (unless crossposted)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 27, 2023

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jaxyon posted:

It easy sources but Shattered Dreams by Charles Enderlin or Clayton E. Swisher's The Truth About Camp David are books that go into detail on the negotiations and seem to be accurately based on interviews with many of the people involved on all three sides.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kalit posted:

I stumbled upon an article about a couple of kids that were part of the latest batch of Hamas hostage releases: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/26/israeli-teenagers-freed-hamas-not-aware-mother-murdered.

This is absolutely devastating. It talks about how they were abducted and the fate of their parents. I don't have much to say beyond this is an example of why I can never support targeting civilians.

speaking of targeting civilians, Israel killed four children in the West Bank

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1728697047040082426?t=6VhtWUmVWLVlJUPa2Zmwrw&s=19

https://www.dci-palestine.org/israeli_forces_kill_four_palestinian_children_in_jenin_al_bireh

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 27, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 27, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The idea that America and Europe would, out of the goodness of their hearts, open their doors to millions of refugees "if it came to it" is obviously ridiculous - and even in this fantasy, to flee and seek asylum is not remotely comparable to moving/returning somewhere where you already have citizenship, as the French in Algeria got to do.

It wouldn't be out of the goodness of their hearts, it offers them a loyal group of hardened White supremacists to break emerging labour radicalism a la Ukrainian and Croatian collaborators after the war, or Cuban exiles in the US.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It wouldn't be out of the goodness of their hearts, it offers them a loyal group of hardened White supremacists to break emerging labour radicalism a la Ukrainian and Croatian collaborators after the war, or Cuban exiles in the US.

You're misunderstanding the magnitude of population. In terms of size, it would be something like the entire population of Cuba moving to the US in 1959, not just people fleeing the revolution for whatever reason.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It will absolutely happen. You might have diehards choosing to live there for decades afterwards, but just like the Boers they're going to chafe living equally with a population they see as subhuman and start leaving in droves.

Shaocaholica posted:

So past examples of apartheid have mostly been white Europeans vs some other race. But in the case of Israelis and Palestinians, aren’t they basically the same race?

Race is a social, not biological construct. Many Palestinians and Israelis are of a similar ethnicity, but no, Israelis and Palestinians can't be said to be the same race. This is because the Israelis have ingratiated themselves into Whiteness and oppress the Palestinians on racialised grounds.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 27, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ I looked up the definitions of race and ethnicity just to be clear and I think you have it backwards. I think we mean the same thing tho^^^

So past examples of apartheid have mostly been white Europeans vs some other race. But in the case of Israelis and Palestinians, aren’t they basically the same race?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2023

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Shaocaholica posted:

^^^ I looked up the definitions of race and ethnicity just to be clear and I think you have it backwards. I think we mean the same thing tho^^^

Something like 30%-40% of the Jewish population is from Europe (Ashkenazi or Soviet origin). Netanyahu was born (edit: raised) in Philadelphia, for example.

Edit: turns out Netanyahu was born in Tel Aviv but moved to Philadelphia when he was a kid, sorry for the error!

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 27, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Something like 30%-40% of the Jewish population is from Europe (Ashkenazi or Soviet origin). Netanyahu was born in Philadelphia, for example.

Sure but I’m referring to Israelis not Jewish converts. Not sure that’s the correct term either. The Jews of the Old Testament.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The pieds-noirs were never actually forced to leave, in fact. They did have the option to remain and be granted Algerian citizenship as theoretical equals under a non-apartheid system. However, it seems that after fiercely advocating for the brutal suppression of Algerian ambitions for equality, leading to the deaths of more than a million Algerians in the increasingly bloody struggle to maintain their apartheid regime, the million pieds-noirs living in Algeria didn't find nominal equality under Algerian rule to be a particularly attractive idea and didn't expect to be welcomed warmly by their Algerian neighbors. Rather than try being equals to the colonial underclass they'd looked down upon and oppressed so harshly, most of them figured they'd be happier retreating to the metropole.

That’s not really quite accurate nation-wide. Many people of European descent did try to stay, particularly in Oran which had been a European-majority city since 1500, and had been directly part of Spain for about 270 of the 350 years between 1500 and the French conquest of Algeria in the 1830s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oran_massacre_of_1962

Oran absolutely was ethnically cleansed, people didn’t just leave because "oh I’m a racist guess I should go now." In many parts of the country yes, but Oran was a significant percentage of all people of European descent living in Algeria in 1950. The attack on Oran also spurred many other people of European descent to leave, giving that it gave the impression the newly independent Algeria was either tacitly supporting, or at best turning a blind eye, to reciprocal attacks even after the war was fully over.

Yes the French were awful, but let’s not pretend the FLN was led by Nelson Mandela either.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Shaocaholica posted:

I think you're looking at race as being somewhat more fixed and biological in definition than a primarily social construct. In apartheid South Africa, it was easy because race effectively amounted to visual differences (rooted in where the two peoples came from).

Israelis aren't a race but a nationality or a set of nationality. About 20% of Israel's population are Nakba survivors or the generations that succeed them. They are Palestinian. The bulk of the rest are Israeli Jews. Israeli Jews are composed historically of radically different groups from across the world, shaped by national myths and new geographic proximity into a modern nation.

Jews conceived as a single nation is a basically modern concept (last couple of centuries). Previously, they'd better be described as multiple nationalities united only by a thin thread of liturgy. Ie in the 18th century there was nearly nothing linking an Iraqi or a Moroccan Jew with a French Jew beyond (if they were religious) some aspects of their religion. Nearly all cultural aspects would be different. Genetically they would be less distinct from other people in the lands they lived in than from each-other. The modern concept of Jews as a race is essentially an offshoot of scientific racism and eugenics from the 19th and 20th centuries. Nazis, Messianic Christians, secular Zionists et al had hands in creating the conception of Jews as a race.

Modern zionist National myths have interpreted history as being more unified (ie Jews are and always have been a unified race - what happened to Jews under Edward I in England is no different to what Judeans experienced under Rome and Jews in the Ottoman empire experienced etc).

Palestinians are a stateless nation. Arabs are generally considered the race. But there's a huge amount of variety. Palestinians vary from white to black. There are all sorts of cultural-linguistic differences when you go to neighbouring states. Palestine has been a geographical expression and reality for hundreds (or rather thousands) of years. Palestinians as a nation really is also about a couple of centuries old (ie as with Jews/Israelis, the nationalist ideas are in line with European nationalist thought of the 19th century).

When you pull all these social definitions together and start to argue from genetics, it's all a bit pointless with regards to the current situation. Which is a group that perceives itself as a nation (Israeli Jews) occupies the land of another perceived nation (Palestinians). While some members of that Palestinian nation live with Israeli Jews in the same state and have some rights at grace, the vast majority of the entire Palestinian nation in Palestine live under a system of division implemented and controlled by Israeli Jews. They are subject to different laws, different living realities in the same land. That's apartheid.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure but I’m referring to Israelis not Jewish converts. Not sure that’s the correct term either. The Jews of the Old Testament.

Ashkenazi Jews are not descendants of converts.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It will absolutely happen. You might have diehards choosing to live there for decades afterwards, but just like the Boers they're going to chafe living equally with a population they see as subhuman and start leaving in droves.

A lot of white South Africans have left since 1995. The vast majority are still in South Africa.

Personally, I don't think a solution that involves moving millions of people out of the region as a good idea.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 27, 2023

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

nivdes posted:

Ashkenazi Jews are not descendants of converts.

There will undoubtedly be some historical conversions. The amount and frequency is irrelevant to today tbh and only matters in so far as people who want to imagine an unbroken throughline for x thousand years that justifies a modern nationalism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't even know what to make of this. There's more than enough white supremacists in the US already, and I suspect they won't be nearly as enthusiastic as you think about accepting six million Jews (more than half of whom are of Arab descent) into America, nearly doubling the US's Jewish population. It's not as if Americans need to import foreigners from halfway across the globe to beat up workers' movements, they're perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

Shaocaholica posted:

No. They share some common descent, but that common descent is so far into the distant past as to be largely forgotten. Moreover, nationalist ambitions have led both sides to actively deny any hint of shared heritage.

While apartheid is usually white Europeans ruling over non-white natives, that isn't necessarily the case; it's just a historical artifact of the fact that most colonialism was done by white Europeans against non-white foreigners on other continents. There's certainly exceptions that could qualify. Imperial Japan's colonial empire was rather brutal. And while it's always risky to extend modern political constructs too far into the past, there's certainly periods of British rule over Ireland that arguably meet the definition of apartheid, even if the racial divisions were nominally established by religion rather than skin color.

Saladman posted:

That’s not really quite accurate nation-wide. Many people of European descent did try to stay, particularly in Oran which had been a European-majority city since 1500, and had been directly part of Spain for about 270 of the 350 years between 1500 and the French conquest of Algeria in the 1830s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oran_massacre_of_1962

Oran absolutely was ethnically cleansed, people didn’t just leave because "oh I’m a racist guess I should go now." In many parts of the country yes, but Oran was a significant percentage of all people of European descent living in Algeria in 1950. The attack on Oran also spurred many other people of European descent to leave, giving that it gave the impression the newly independent Algeria was either tacitly supporting, or at best turning a blind eye, to reciprocal attacks even after the war was fully over.

Yes the French were awful, but let’s not pretend the FLN was led by Nelson Mandela either.

From your own link:

quote:

The Évian Accords intended to guarantee the rights and safety of the pieds-noirs, French and Spanish colonial residents, many born in Algeria, and indigenous Sephardi Jews in an independent Algeria. However, the flight of French pieds-noirs and pro-French native Algerians began in April 1962, and by late May hundreds of thousands had emigrated from Algeria, chiefly to metropolitan France. In fact, within weeks, three-quarters of the pieds-noirs had resettled in France.

With armed conflict apparently at an end, the French government loosened security on Algeria's border with Morocco, allowing the FLN freer movement within Algeria. Independence had been bitterly opposed by the pieds-noirs and many members of the French military, and the anti-independence Organisation armée secrète (OAS) started a campaign of open rebellion against the French government, declaring its military to be an "occupying power". The OAS engaged in a bombing campaign that killed an estimated 10 to 50 Algerians in Oran daily in May 1962. The violence was so intense in Oran that people living in European neighbourhoods rapidly left them; some Muslims left Oran to join their families in the villages, or in cities that did not have a large European population. The OAS similarly declared a "scorched earth" policy to deny French-built facilities and development to the future FLN government, a policy that reached its climax on 7 June 1962 when the OAS Delta Commando burned Algiers Library and its 60,000 volumes and blew up Oran's town hall, the municipal library, and four schools. On June 25 and 26 1962, the OAS commandos attacked and robbed six banks.

As a reminder, all of that is before the Oran Massacre, which happened on July 5th of that year. So not only had most of the pieds-noirs already left before the Oran Massacre, but pieds-noirs militants opposing the withdrawal had killed hundreds of Algerians and driven them out of Oran in the weeks leading up to the Oran Massacre. And of course, while this page frustratingly doesn't give a total figure for the number of Algerian victims of the OAS in the month before the Oran Massacre, it sure does seem to be suggesting that it's higher than the couple hundred people killed in the Oran Massacre.

Which comes to a point I was trying to hint at. Sure, some pieds-noirs were likely just too racist to tolerate giving up their privileged status and treating Algerians as equals. But there were almost certainly many who were well aware of the sheer brutality of their pro-apartheid campaigns against Algerians, and feared that an Algerian-led Algeria would engage in similarly brutal reprisals against the pieds-noirs who had long championed oppression and violence against them. Which, for the most part, didn't happen - the Oran Massacre was a singular event, and the pieds-noirs who stayed despite that were treated reasonably enough. The pieds-noirs did continue to leave as the years passed, and the population has dwindled to almost nothing today, but Algeria wasn't exactly politically or economically stable for much of the post-independence period either.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Genetically they would be less distinct from other people in the lands they lived in than from each-other. The modern concept of Jews as a race is essentially an offshoot of scientific racism and eugenics from the 19th and 20th centuries. Nazis, Messianic Christians, secular Zionists et al had hands in creating the conception of Jews as a race.

This is not true, there is a lot of admixture with """local""" communities obviously but the Jews of Europe are still genetically closer to the Jews of the Middle East or North Africa than they are to local populations, and they are also closer to other Levantine populations for the most part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Jews
There's a shitton of research on it and while the exact conclusions change over time, it is generally accepted that they are one group.

I don't think this really has any moral relevance one way or the other - both Jewish and Palestinian nationalism are at their core bullshit. Many different peoples have lived in the area, they were conquered and mixed, intermingled and killed, changed and migrated constantly. I agree with you that the concept of nations was cemented in the 18th-19th centuries but that holds true for the Palestinians too. This does not mean any one should be displaced or killed, but that we should do our best to make sure the people living in a certain place can live together in peace. Reconciling that with actual practical reality is the hard part.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Something like 30%-40% of the Jewish population is from Europe (Ashkenazi or Soviet origin). Netanyahu was born in Philadelphia, for example.

Netanyahu was born in Tel Aviv and spent his teenage years in Philadelphia before returning to Israel.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Personally, I don't think a solution that involves moving millions of people out of the region as a good idea.

Good news, that's never happening! No way in hell are other countries accepting millions (or hundreds of thousands if it's split up to different countries) of Jews. If it didn't happen during the holocaust when everyone in power knew what was happening, and it ain't happening if somehow a Palestinian state is established and starts killing Jews (good news, that's also never happening. For several reasons!)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/shlomo_karhi/status/1729028213991514477

quote:

Elon Musk, I congratulate you for reaching a principle understanding with the Ministry of Communications under my leadership.

As a result of this significant agreement, Starlink satellite units can only be operated in Israel with the approval of the Israeli Ministry of Communications, including the Gaza Strip.

As the State of Israel fights against Hamas - ISIS, this understanding is vital, as is it for everyone who desires a better world, free of evil and free of anti-Semitism, for our children's sake.

During your time in Israel, I hope that you will be able to gain valuable insight, and that it will serve as a springboard for future endeavors, as well as enhance your relationship with the Jewish people and values we share with the entire world.

I welcome you to Israel.
@elonmusk

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Previously, they'd better be described as multiple nationalities united only by a thin thread of liturgy. Ie in the 18th century there was nearly nothing linking an Iraqi or a Moroccan Jew with a French Jew beyond (if they were religious) some aspects of their religion.

The rest of the post sounds completely correct to me but this is a real underestimation of the similarity between different minhagim (traditions - Ashkenazi, Sephardic, Yemeni etc). These communities share the exact same sacred books (Bible and Talmud), their prayers are maybe 2/3 exactly the same (hard to estimate but virtually identical Amidah and exactly identical Shema which are by far the most important prayers), and the same religious calendar with the same holidays. They've always had mutual influence over each other, and the result is that differences are on the level of "can we eat dairy 72 minutes after eating meat or do we have to wait 6 hours" or "do men wear prayer shawls after age 13 or after getting married". Of course across time and space you have different attitudes, new traditions, different levels of observance among non-rabbis, but it's much more than a "thin thread of liturgy."

An exception here would be Beta Israel/Ethiopian Jews, who were cut off from other Jews since before the completion of the Talmud and therefore operated very differently (now they're assimilating into Rabbinic Judaism).

I also think your post could give more credit to the religion itself as an influence on Jewish nationalism - Jewish religious texts, for as long as we've had them, have been obsessed with "am Israel" (the people of Israel) and "eretz Israel" (the land of Israel) and the importance of the people dwelling in the land or returning to it. The reason that once-secular Zionism keeps becoming more and more entangled with the religion is that there really is a lot there for nationalists who want to draw on it. One obvious edampl or this influence is that for Israeli law a Jew is defined religiously - someone who was born to a Jewish mother or underwent a formal conversion.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yep, it's no secret that Israel and Hamas are both monstrous. And hopefully (but doubtfully), other countries will start being able (and willing) to apply enough pressure to get Israel to stop killing altogether

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 27, 2023