Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So that video about "the future of gaming tech" or whatever got posted in reddit's normal r/games subreddit, and holy hell it is embarrassing. Basically it's getting brigaded by backers who are pretending they are just normal people so they can talk about how impressive it is, combined with the usual "90% of what is in the video is playable in game right now", only to be broken up by the occasional comment by someone who said the game runs like garbage on their 4090 with an i9 who they tell to upgrade their computer.

And oh boy it has some amazing cringe

quote:

I know a lot of people here only know of Chris Roberts as the Star Citizen (or Freelancer) guy - but us older PC folks remember him as a sort-of wunderkind game developer similar to Jordan Mechner.

quote:

90% of what you see in the video is already in-game. There are many moments that happen in Star Citizen that are kind of too crazy to believe are possible, but they happen anyways.

quote:

I would urge anyone in disbelief to go play the alpha, most of this (and I would argue the most impressive) stuff is already there.

quote:

When I backed this game back in 2014, I went in with the expectations that it was going to take a really, really long time. I am patient. It has been frustrating, understandably so. But since I've followed the development closely I'm not surprised, nor do I have unreasonable expectations.

In the last 2 months we've received more updates and bug fixes for this game than ever before because focus has switched from Squadron 42 to Star Citizen. Progress has reached a snowballing point. Hype levels are increasing more than ever because people are seeing all the additions and new content lately, and seeing that all the systems, tech, and gameplay loops are starting to come together.

In the previous years, they've only sold us concept art and sandworms. This last convention though, they set real expectations, they were ready, they showed off stuff that was ready to be implemented in the coming months. They showed off Squadron 42.

quote:

I honestly don't think 95% of people understand the scope of what they are seeing. This isn't just a game. This is one of the biggest creations mankind has ever created. The scope, time invested and detail is mind boggling to anyone with experience in any aspect of this. This is the gateway entrance to poo poo like Ready Player One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well I just played for a while, and it doesn't seem to have changed much since I last played it a few years ago. I'm on a newer, much better PC and the performance is just as bad, even with all the graphics turned down to minimum. I haven't noticed any difference to the gameplay (running around randomly designed indoor areas, going up and down elevators, and the clunky flying). The UI is terrible. Often you can't read text or elements because it's white on white or blue on blue. The interact 'F' mode is awkward. Steering the ship is awkward. Trying to line up your ship in third person camera is awkward. Going through doors is awkward.

Even with the graphics turned up to max it doesn't look that special in this day and age. So you get terrible performance for no reason. In a busy area I'll be at single figure FPS while my graphics card has 0rpm. No idea why. Every indoor area either looks like generic 80s scifi dank, or shopping mall. The character does everything slowly, he gets off a chair like Mr Creosote, you have to press drink over and over again to empty a bottle of water to get your hydration up. Can't believe I downloaded so much for this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Honestly trying to help based on the years reading about this poo poo show.

You should get better performance not using "minimum" settings.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pisshead posted:

Even with the graphics turned up to max it doesn't look that special in this day and age. So you get terrible performance for no reason. In a busy area I'll be at single figure FPS while my graphics card has 0rpm. No idea why. Every indoor area either looks like generic 80s scifi dank, or shopping mall. The character does everything slowly, he gets off a chair like Mr Creosote, you have to press drink over and over again to empty a bottle of water to get your hydration up. Can't believe I downloaded so much for this.

"Software rendering worked perfectly well when our lord and saviour Chris Roberts made his genre-defining masterpiece, Wing Commander. There's no reason why he shouldn't expect it to work as well now The technology just can't match his vision, wait until the pipelines are in place.." -Pisscat if he was consensed down to three lines, probably.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I apologise for not posting about my SC experiences but I couldn’t get the masterpiece to do anything beyond making my ugly commando. It just hung after that. I’ll try again next week if I can be arsed.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/9k0n...20b67589fd0#t=0

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cutedge posted:

So that video about "the future of gaming tech" or whatever got posted in reddit's normal r/games subreddit, and holy hell it is embarrassing. Basically it's getting brigaded by backers who are pretending they are just normal people so they can talk about how impressive it is, combined with the usual "90% of what is in the video is playable in game right now", only to be broken up by the occasional comment by someone who said the game runs like garbage on their 4090 with an i9 who they tell to upgrade their computer.

In the previous years, they’ve only sold us concept art and sandworms. This last convention though, they set real expectations, they were ready, they showed off stuff that was ready to be implemented in the coming months. They showed off Squadron 42.

Yeah for sure they are finally going to let those pipelines flow baby

All those other years they only pretended to tell you things were right around the corner , over and over and over

But this time it’s REAL they wouldn’t go up on stage for the umpteenth time and tell us lies again that’s simply crazy

Concept art ? You mean game ready screen shots that you can play in ….. well probably 2-3 more years

But GO Chris you’ve done it you magnificent bastard we all knew this whole time

- side note this is almost exactly what bitcoin people are saying right now

They held the line and boy did it pay off !

You simply couldn’t see the vision of the future like I could , and now my bitcoins are worth millions ... (i only had to lose my family, my job, sell my house and farm and goto rehab 4 times but by god we did it boys)

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 24, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Cutedge posted:

I genuinely do not like what Ready Player One becoming a cultural touchstone says about our culture.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Check this out, Musk's company managed to produce something perfectly in line with the soulless star citizen aesthetic:

i say swears online posted:

https://news.google.com/articles/CB...US&ceid=US%3Aen

Elon Musk eyes H-E-B's market with The Boring Bodega in Bastrop

Bastrop hasn't exactly been Musk's biggest fan since the Tesla CEO brought The Boring Company to the city in 2021. Chap Ambrose is one of several Bastrop residents who have fought with The Boring Company over environmental concerns and land disputes.

https://twitter.com/chapambrose/status/1724086969683120633

Just look at this poo poo

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sardonik posted:

Check this out, Musk's company managed to produce something perfectly in line with the soulless star citizen aesthetic:

Just look at this poo poo

I genuinely thought this was a screenshot. Uncanny.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am going to out myself because I feel like I must be a special snowflake chosen few regarding my setup and experience, but I have had an alright time. I do get stupid glitches and usually inventory lag, but work arounds are to usually turn off/on the module again or something. The worst I had was to kill my ship and respawn.

But I get about 77 fps average according to my AMD Adrenaline software and things actually work for me. Some of the missions like investigation or just exploration like going cave diving has been neat. Making money hasn’t been hard. In fact, I made 1.4 million in a few hours and bought IN GAME one of those $150 ships and even when you die you get it back so WTF to the ridiculous price points for pledges.

And coop poo poo works, too. Multicrew stuff. It is cool.

The verdict is that in everything Elite failed to live up to with regards to that seamless space to ground experience, Star Citizen has succeeded***. However in scale and in the “polish” and reliability that Elite kind of has Star Citizen does not.

Basically I admit that I can totally see WHY people play this, but I UNDER NO circumstances can comprehend how people could have poured more than $45 into it.

Btw my specs are:

Ryzen 7 5600G
Rx 6600
32gb DDR4 3200
And I play on 1080p with maximum settings.

There. I said it.

***Take that term with a grain of salt.

What 100% DOES SUCK is the length of the game loop. The fact that 20 minutes in game hasn’t even gotten you to anything but the upper atmosphere of your home city sucks anus. Wjat also sucks is getting the things needed for a mission or finishing these things. The gameplay loop is a serious weak point and I can see it getting old quick. It’s like EVE all over again in that respect except they have finally come up with SOMETHING you can do within 30 minutes.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 24, 2023

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Well, fear not, since you are playing an alpha version with compressed distances.

According to MMO expert muppet person, even getting to your ship will take a couple of hours. Flying to a different planet will take a couple of days and several weeks for a different system.

Because distances MUST mean something, and, uh, immersion

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

dialhforhero posted:

it seems okay ish

Six hundred million dollars and ten years.

To be fair I am hopeful something fun will eventually emerge from the hilarious shitshow that is SC development.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 25, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah all indictments and criticisms are valid.

I just wanted to admit that I actually am not having a lovely experience.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah I have tried it for the first time in this latest free fly time with some guys I've played other space games with for years and the multicrew stuff especially is actually really fun when things work.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What multicrew stuff? Isn't it just sitting in a turret with poor visibility?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will grant that if you have a group of people to play with (and can actually get everyone together in the same area within a reasonable amount of time) you could probably have fun in SC but it's more like you're having fun in spite of the game.

Get a group of people together and throw them into a sandbox even one as broken as SC and you can probably find a way to have some fun for awhile.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
:brainworms:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Don't confuse goofing of with your friends with playing a good game.

Me and a buddy played the Army Of Two games from EA and had a lot of fun but the games are not good because of that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah theres no real multicrew content or mechanics that are worth much, but its still a game you can play with your friends. you'd probably get more out of like Empyrion or Void Crew or Barotrauma for a fraction of the price, though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The most multi-crewed thing in Star Citizen is this here thread.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The real game was the threads we made along the way.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is this out yet :f5:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

dialhforhero posted:

The real game was the threads we made along the way.

So you’re saying Star Citizen has 100% accurate cosmic string fidelity, got it

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Sandweed posted:

Don't confuse goofing of with your friends with playing a good game.

Me and a buddy played the Army Of Two games from EA and had a lot of fun but the games are not good because of that.

No, sorry, I'm convinced. Star Ctizen is now good. I'm buying an Idris.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Oh no, someone at my favorite games news site likes this dumpster fire.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-tech-underpinning-star-citizen-looks-mighty-impressive-in-new-trailer

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People taking CIG videos at face value 11 years into alpha development. As if they haven't been stringing people along this entire time with fake demo videos.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Eh, the world at large hasn't followed closely enough because there's really been nothing to follow. At face value it's a Duke Nukem Forever situation, and a bit deeper it's ridiculous macrotransactions, but by circumventing the publishing arc entirely it cuts out the sources that would be feeding people who write this stuff hot takes. Some schmuck writing for a games website isn't doing investigative journalism. You're lucky if they write anything beyond parroting what some other site said and their deep investigation of literally just checking reddit isn't going to help.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It would seem logical that if CIG gets competent enough people and CR doesn't interfere (or has been told off by someone who he listens to), the devs could eventually cut off all the excess and rebuild stuff, and make things work in one fashion or another.

The Eurogamer article's comments talk about sever meshing being 'effectively ready', but weren't there some issues in the live show? Also, there are the usual "runs like poo poo on my 3080 Ti", "yeah well maybe there's something wrong with your RAM or page file".

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Copper pipes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Mailer posted:

Eh, the world at large hasn't followed closely enough because there's really been nothing to follow. At face value it's a Duke Nukem Forever situation, and a bit deeper it's ridiculous macrotransactions, but by circumventing the publishing arc entirely it cuts out the sources that would be feeding people who write this stuff hot takes. Some schmuck writing for a games website isn't doing investigative journalism. You're lucky if they write anything beyond parroting what some other site said and their deep investigation of literally just checking reddit isn't going to help.

FWIW in the past RPS mocked SC now and then, so it's a bit surprising.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

The Eurogamer article's comments talk about sever meshing being 'effectively ready', but weren't there some issues in the live show?

They demo'd like 6 people running around a greybox hallway and transitioning between what was likely local servers. It's nowhere close to being ready and the real issue is it won't scale.

Citizens of course took this and ran with it and have been proclaiming CIG has changed gaming forever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Colostomy Bag posted:

The most multi-crewed thing in Star Citizen is this here thread.

:hai:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I watched one video of the recent SC poo poo with a friend. There was text on screen explaining how objects interacted realistically with water as a spaceship exploded into Lego chunks that all flew through the water with no interaction. We rewatched that part like 10 times it was so loving funny.

You could tell they outsourced the entire video by how it was captioned.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Popete posted:

They demo'd like 6 people running around a greybox hallway and transitioning between what was likely local servers. It's nowhere close to being ready and the real issue is it won't scale.

Citizens of course took this and ran with it and have been proclaiming CIG has changed gaming forever.

Not to mention the 3 local servers visibly desync in their little toy test scenario

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Being extremely gracious that the server mesh demo was at all real. I would not be surprised by CIG faking it outright and still getting stuff wrong.

Hell, people on youtube and such are taking the jank in the trailers as proof everything shown is real. At this point not caring only gets CIG paid more.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

People taking CIG videos at face value 11 years into alpha development. As if they haven't been stringing people along this entire time with fake demo videos.

All I wanted was a sandworm. :colbert:

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Tried out the free fly thing going on right now.

Tutorial: Eat and drink

Picked up the burrito
Tried to figure out how to drink water
Equipped and unequipped helmet
Found that things in drawers don't slide out with the drawers but remain stuck in furniture
Drank water
Going to eat burrito, but it's gone and tutorial won't let me progress, pointing me at an empty cutting board

who could have guessed /10

imHitchens fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 27, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Classic Croberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pokie posted:

FWIW in the past RPS mocked SC now and then, so it's a bit surprising.

RPS got bought out by "Gamer Network" like five years ago and I think pretty much all the original writers are long gone, so a change in tone isn't super surprising given it's barely the same publication any more.