Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

flashman posted:

900 Cad which is ~650 usd? I donno dude it's what the lady on the phone told me, a 1400 dollar hold on cc to get a loaner and 900 to fix the screen.

The cost to repair a iPhone 14 Pro Max screen is $499 CAD on Apple’s website.

Someone is not telling you everything or is taking you for a ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

The cost to repair a iPhone 14 Pro Max screen is $499 CAD on Apple’s website.

Someone is not telling you everything or is taking you for a ride

$366 USD is a pretty reasonable cost for an out of warranty screen repair.

Should have gotten the AppleCare though. Who doesn’t insure an $1100+ phone? I’ve never spaled and even I do.

Crapple!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's why I still do the iPhone Upgrade Program, sure I end up being a brainless consumer who gets New Phone Every Year but that is a small bonus, for the amortized cost of a phone over 24 months with the extra AppleCare+ insurance it's not *that* much more expensive :shrug:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

kri kri posted:

Yep, I use a Mac though so I use configurator if I’m wiping something since you can very easily restore and update.

I haven't got a Mac but the iTunes seems straight forward and I'll be home to a computer soon so hopefully this puts an end to this nuisance, appreciate it man.

Corb3t posted:

$366 USD is a pretty reasonable cost for an out of warranty screen repair.

Should have gotten the AppleCare though. Who doesn’t insure an $1100+ phone? I’ve never spaled and even I do.

Crapple!

Hindsight is 20/20 and Apple care is still 300 bucks. Who would have thought they'd force me to fix a screen for an unrelated problem to make that a good purchase.

They wouldn't sell it if it wasn't a scam man

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

flashman posted:

I haven't got a Mac but the iTunes seems straight forward

Hahaha

E:You might get it to do what you need without issue, but iTunes on Windows is full of bugs and annoyances.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 25, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

flashman posted:

I haven't got a Mac but the iTunes seems straight forward and I'll be home to a computer soon so hopefully this puts an end to this nuisance, appreciate it man.

Hindsight is 20/20 and Apple care is still 300 bucks. Who would have thought they'd force me to fix a screen for an unrelated problem to make that a good purchase.

They wouldn't sell it if it wasn't a scam man

Setting aside the price of apple care, literally nothing adds up

Go walk into your nearest Apple Store and say “fix screen please” and they’ll quote you a much more sensible number

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What province are you even in? The Yukon or something? That's the only reason for why I can think of you being gouged.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

flashman posted:

I haven't got a Mac but the iTunes seems straight forward

Ok now I’m sure you’re trolling.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My android phone can turn on and off 90 fps mode but it looked the same to me :shrug: sometimes it's cheaper to be old I guess.

Apple phones are generally more durable than android right? I was looking at Apple Care but I've never significantly damaged a phone in my life (possibly tempting fate here).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

When I'm at home, it will sometimes look like my iPhone was not connected to wifi until I woke it up and it switched from the cell band to the little wifi indicator. I'm assuming I've done something to my wifi which is causing this and it isn't normal iPhone behavior. I don't believe my phone does this at work but I definitely notice it at home a lot.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can also pay $8 a month for AppleCare+, so it’s really up to you whether or not that insurance is worth the peace of mind in the event you have any issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's why I still do the iPhone Upgrade Program, sure I end up being a brainless consumer who gets New Phone Every Year but that is a small bonus, for the amortized cost of a phone over 24 months with the extra AppleCare+ insurance it's not *that* much more expensive :shrug:

Dumb question: do you need the Apple credit card for this ?

flashman posted:

Who would have thought they'd force me to fix a screen for an unrelated problem to make that a good purchase.

Everyone. Everyone would have thought this. You’re either being extremely dumb or this is a troll.

You obviously aren’t going to listen to anyone here, so I don’t know why you are still posting the same, extremely stupid take, over and over.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 26, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

When I'm at home, it will sometimes look like my iPhone was not connected to wifi until I woke it up and it switched from the cell band to the little wifi indicator. I'm assuming I've done something to my wifi which is causing this and it isn't normal iPhone behavior. I don't believe my phone does this at work but I definitely notice it at home a lot.

My 15P does this. I’ve noticed this before on my 13PM and 11P, too. :shrug:

I’ve assumed it was just part of the standby power management.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Everyone. Everyone would have thought this. You’re either being extremely dumb or this is a troll.

You obviously aren’t going to listen to anyone here, so I don’t know why you are still posting the same, extremely stupid take, over and over.

I'm not saying they're not dumb, but it is legitimately annoying that a cracked screen invalidates the warranty (or makes repairs way more expensive). Especially when there's an issue that you know in your heart of hearts has nothing to do with the condition of the screen. A few years back I had a galaxy phone with a nice curved screen, which got some hairline cracks in it very easily. One day the phone just stopped charging, which was a known issue with the devices, and for obvious reasons they couldn't fix it without also replacing the eye waveringly expensive curved screen. Ended up being cheaper to get a new phone. That shouldn't be so! Screens getting cracked is such a common thing, and it shouldn't be 18 generations in where they're finally designing phones in a way that means you can replace the glass relatively easily.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I'm not saying they're not dumb, but it is legitimately annoying that a cracked screen invalidates the warranty (or makes repairs way more expensive). Especially when there's an issue that you know in your heart of hearts has nothing to do with the condition of the screen. A few years back I had a galaxy phone with a nice curved screen, which got some hairline cracks in it very easily. One day the phone just stopped charging, which was a known issue with the devices, and for obvious reasons they couldn't fix it without also replacing the eye waveringly expensive curved screen. Ended up being cheaper to get a new phone. That shouldn't be so! Screens getting cracked is such a common thing, and it shouldn't be 18 generations in where they're finally designing phones in a way that means you can replace the glass relatively easily.

I get what you’re saying, but it would open a huge can of worms of subjective, case by case basis scenarios (thank you for the clarification in the beginning though lol).

In general: it is a small compact device , so I would argue in general that a cracked screen means a drop, and despite phones getting somewhat more durable, a drop can later cause under the hood issues.

And I’m not saying companies like Apple, Samsung, phone carriers are bastions of generosity or anything like that, but the can of worms is there are customers who take things to extreme, and this would absolutely enable a ton of that.

I’ve had customers in front of me say their phone didn’t have any water damage, and I shake the phone and rice falls out of it.

Most people are like most posters here , pretty reasonable, but that 5% of awful customers does ruin potential policies like that.

And of course, obviously I am probably biased , but that’s just my opinions from my experience.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

I do have the Apple Card, but it wouldn't pull the details from my Wallet.app even though I bought my latest iPhone on my old iPhone, so I just did it on my debit card :shrug:

I could probably memorize my number and CVV like I do my Debit card but I have the Apple Card's CVV rotate on a regular basis so that makes it a little hard

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Apple's iPhone Upgrade program goes through Citizens bank, and you can pay for it with whatever credit card you want.

You can buy the phone outright, or you can do it with Apple Card monthly installments which is like buying any other thing on their website.

From what I can tell, the upside of the upgrade program is that it includes Apple Care, but the Apple Card monthly installment doesn't

However, if you finance it through Apple Card, you do get the cash back on the initial purchase plus each monthly payment you make.

I'd say the biggest factor Is whether or not you want a new phone every year or every 2 years.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
They still have the carrier requirement though, right? MVNOs can't work with it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Blurb3947 posted:

They still have the carrier requirement though, right? MVNOs can't work with it?

From what I can see from the website, that's correct. You'd have to straight up buy it with no financing on their end.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

There’s nothing stopping you from using an MVNO after the fact as far as I can tell, I’ve swapped between T-Mobile and Verizon on my last upgrade program and no one said anything.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Raymond T. Racing posted:

There’s nothing stopping you from using an MVNO after the fact as far as I can tell, I’ve swapped between T-Mobile and Verizon on my last upgrade program and no one said anything.

I'm telling Tim Apple

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm telling Tim Apple

Bro

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raymond T. Racing posted:

They’ve started catching this, a bit hearsay but I have had customers recently where Apple didn’t allow them to do their yearly upgrade because they switched to whatever prepaid in the meantime.

Emphasis prepaid. Switching between VZ, T-Mobile and ATT postpaid , Apple doesn’t care about that.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

My 15P does this. I’ve noticed this before on my 13PM and 11P, too. :shrug:

I’ve assumed it was just part of the standby power management.

I assumed the same thing as well but really had no way to know for sure. Thanks for sharing your experience.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I do have the Apple Card, but it wouldn't pull the details from my Wallet.app even though I bought my latest iPhone on my old iPhone, so I just did it on my debit card :shrug:

I could probably memorize my number and CVV like I do my Debit card but I have the Apple Card's CVV rotate on a regular basis so that makes it a little hard

Just put ur cards in 1Password

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got a 15 plus and it seems like a solid upgrade over my one plus 7t and moving over from Android was easier than I expected. I was surprised the migration app tried to download iOS equivalent versions of apps where it could.

Any suggestions for cases with some kinda grip/loop/pop thing to hold one handed that also support MagSafe stuff? None of the common recommended cases seem to have them. Not sure I’d trust a magnetic one and it seems like I’d have to remove it to use other MagSafe stuff (car mount looks really cool).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any way to hide shared family purchases from kid Apple IDs? I’ve done the swipe > hide in purchase history on certain apps on a kid phone, but they can just go into purchases by me and cloud button them still. Even if I hide them from my purchase history. Seems kinda weird to still show them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any way to hide shared family purchases from kid Apple IDs? I’ve done the swipe > hide in purchase history on certain apps on a kid phone, but they can just go into purchases by me and cloud button them still. Even if I hide them from my purchase history. Seems kinda weird to still show them.

Better to just sit down and explain to them what grindr and bumble are.

honest answer I don't think so and it's a glaring hole

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
e: nvm

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 27, 2023

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Just started using this girly rear end iphone.

Any recommendations for a file explorer application? I'd like to access the file system through a web browser (http/lovely password) to download/upload pictures from my computer and if worse comes to worse FTP.

I don't mind paying but I do not want a subscription. If there is a better way to do this let me know, I don't want to plugin the drat cable.

In the Android world I used FX File Explorer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Old news, but I am supremely annoyed that they killed being able to get carrier free iPhones on ACMI.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

lol internet. posted:

Any recommendations for a file explorer application? I'd like to access the file system through a web browser (http/lovely password) to download/upload pictures from my computer and if worse comes to worse FTP.

I don't mind paying but I do not want a subscription. If there is a better way to do this let me know, I don't want to plugin the drat cable.

Not the answer you want but: You're going to hate having an iPhone and if you're still within your return window might wanna swap it out for a high end Android. iPhones are good if you play by Apple's (restrictive) rules and FTPing into the phone's filesystem to upload pictures isn't how they play.

Apps are generally pretty silo'd off from each other which is more secure but means that a shared file structure is less of a thing. The closest thing would be using the in-built Files app which has its own storage as well as native access to any iCloud storage you have. You can also hook it up to Dropbox and stuff like that.

However, unless I'm wrong, you can't view any photos you upload to Files in the Photos app with the nice interface and big thumbnails etc.

To get stuff on there the intended way, you'll either need to upload stuff to iCloud (icloud.com or install the iCloud software on your PC and have it sync a folder similar to Dropbox, it can also pull in photos) or the miserable option of using the godawful piece of trash that is iTunes. You don't have to use a cable for this and can sync over your local wifi, but it's very much a "sync this folder" thing and not dragging/dropping individual files. The wifi sync was also a tad flaky last time I checked but it's been a while.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 27, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lol internet. posted:

On the slight chance that this is a real post:
You can use the Files app on the iPhone to connect to a SMB server on your computer and drag/drop photos to and from the computer.
Getting photos into Files from the Photos adds another step, and also getting photos into the Photos from Files, so it's not a convenient way to backup all your photos.
Merely a way to copy a few photos between the iPhone and the computer without plugging in a cord or using iCloud.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kri kri posted:

Just put ur cards in 1Password

It is in 1Password.

Still doesn’t solve the Apple Store app not pulling it from any other apps or the rotating CVV though

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol internet. posted:

I wasn't aware that phones were gendered, but regardless of that you're in for a really bad time with that iPhone. As mentioned going through iCloud.com is about the closest you're gonna get to what you want, and you're going to find it exceedingly lacking based on what you're used to. Apple obfuscates the real iOS file system, and I don't think they're ever going to change from that.

Additionally,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like to think I got all the mocking of this usage style out of my system 20+ years ago when people were horrified that they couldn't just drag and drop MP3 files to their iPod

But, well ... lol

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

lol internet. posted:

It's been years since I actually had to do this, but AVPlayer allows you to FTP/HTTP drop files to your phone if you want. Don't think anything you drop there will show up in the regular photos/music ios apps though. It's all gonna be contained in AVPlayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any advice I can give to my sister that's deciding between an iPhone 13 and 14? Camera quality is important. She'd rather spend less, of course.