Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

The gently caress is wrong with these german piece of poo poo nazis isnt 'BILD' supposed to be some sort of big paper jesus christ

“The amount of professional decadence in the German newspaper Bild is in this article
The Israeli newspapers themselves did not reach it.”
"Bild newspaper published two pictures after the prisoner exchange deal and put a headline on them
“A party hugging its children” means the Israeli in the picture
“And a party that embraces terrorism” means the Palestinian in the picture during his liberation, and you say that he embraced the flag of the Hamas gang and chanted for Hamas.

The newspaper described the Israeli prisoners as “hostages.”
While she refused to use the term with Israeli prisoners
"The newspaper described the Palestinians who were released in the prisoner exchange deal as having participated in terrorist acts, including children."

https://twitter.com/Mehmetcanbekli1/status/1728966543189402088?s=20

BILD is the equivalent to the Sun if you're more familiar with Brit papers. Most other papers do the calm hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

genericnick posted:

BILD is the equivalent to the Sun if you're more familiar with Brit papers. Most other papers do the calm hitler

oh that explains their uniquely lovely articles and headlines

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I'm not a military guy but isn't a company a hundred soldiers, or is it less than that?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it varies, but it's a p small unit yeah

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
well I'm asking because shouldn't a hundred guys be generally expected to fight "many tens" of enemy soldiers?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/SquidDiddly1989/status/1728943645267767550

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the event created a difficult atmosphere in the battalion, and so it was decided to withdraw it for a pause and refreshment at the soldier's association's recreational facility in Ashkelon

Lol does this sound as tremendously lovely in the original context

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

the mark of a sane and cool country

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Definitely a sign that you're winning in any way.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the event created a difficult atmosphere in the battalion, and so it was decided to withdraw it for a pause and refreshment at the soldier's association's recreational facility in Ashkelon

Lol does this sound as tremendously lovely in the original context

Yes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

well I'm asking because shouldn't a hundred guys be generally expected to fight "many tens" of enemy soldiers?

If by "enemy soldiers" you mean "kids with rocks" then yes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

seems to me that israeli troops aren't really expected to fight any number of enemy soldiers

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

that true?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to throw out a book recommendation for Amal Saad's "Hizbullah Politics and Religion" for a great look into the history, ideology, and inner workings of the party.

Saad was also recently interviewed by Louis Allday for "The East is a Podcast" podcast, if you prefer to consume your media that way. In particular, Saad goes into the meaning of Nasrallah's recent speeches and why Hizbullah cannot "just" march on Tel Aviv or otherwise go all out against Israel the way we might want them to.

I'm only up to the first couple of chapters of Saad's book but the description of Hizbullah's synthesis of Marxism and Shia Islam is rather attractive. These are very intelligent, very determined people with a clear political project and the vision and the means to see it through.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

I can't find any article about this but if I do i'll post it here

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

"Roni's unbelievable survival story: the building to which he was kidnapped was bombed, he escaped for 4 days - and Gazans turned him in to Hamas again"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1729068133434921192?t=6qmc0kEtohBesjACZSQvqA&s=19

quote:

14 Israeli hostages were released from captivity by Hamas yesterday, one of which is the 25 year old Roni Kriboy, who was kidnapped from the nature party at Reim on October 7th. His aunt, Yalna Magid, told this morning (Monday) what her nephew went through in the 51 days he spent in the Gaza strip in an exceptional survival story that included an escape from the terrorists and an attempt to return to Israel, until he met Gazan residents that returned him to the terrorists' hands.
[...]
"He said he was kidnapped by terrorists and held in some building, and I understand that from the bombs the building collapsed and he managed to get out of there and escape. Like a movie. For a couple days, he hid there and was alone. In the end, the Gazans caught him and returned him to the terrorists' hands."

She added that Roni was hit in the head by a rock that fell from the collapsed building, but despite this successfully escaped from [it], and wandered alone in the strip in an attempt to return to Israel.

Hmmm, looks like Hamas aren't the ones putting the hostages in danger.

By the way, this was the guy with Russian citizenship that Putin asked to be released.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to throw out a book recommendation for Amal Saad's "Hizbullah Politics and Religion" for a great look into the history, ideology, and inner workings of the party.

Saad was also recently interviewed by Louis Allday for "The East is a Podcast" podcast, if you prefer to consume your media that way. In particular, Saad goes into the meaning of Nasrallah's recent speeches and why Hizbullah cannot "just" march on Tel Aviv or otherwise go all out against Israel the way we might want them to.

I'm only up to the first couple of chapters of Saad's book but the description of Hizbullah's synthesis of Marxism and Shia Islam is rather attractive. These are very intelligent, very determined people with a clear political project and the vision and the means to see it through.

thanks for this. I always wanted to read her books but they were too hard to get.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

The gently caress is wrong with these german piece of poo poo nazis isnt 'BILD' supposed to be some sort of big paper jesus christ

================================

“The amount of professional decadence in the German newspaper Bild is in this article
The Israeli newspapers themselves did not reach it.”
"Bild newspaper published two pictures after the prisoner exchange deal and put a headline on them
“A party hugging its children” means the Israeli in the picture
“And a party that embraces terrorism” means the Palestinian in the picture during his liberation, and you say that he embraced the flag of the Hamas gang and chanted for Hamas.

The newspaper described the Israeli prisoners as “hostages.”
While she refused to use the term with Israeli prisoners
"The newspaper described the Palestinians who were released in the prisoner exchange deal as having participated in terrorist acts, including children."

https://twitter.com/Mehmetcanbekli1/status/1728966543189402088?s=20

Bild is a worthless rag and always has been.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

2 extremely punchable people hung out together this morning.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1729092002686316813?t=BBilNQbdOUzore2GZmaImQ&s=19

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When the Israelis do insane poo poo it's infuriating, when they do stuff like have to pull back a battalion for like a beer & wings it's baffling and hilarious

Either way it's hard to joke about because it's either mega hosed up turbocrimes or they fuckin scooped you. lol it's gonna turn out true they got drone deliveries of loving pizza hut going to the tanks & it's bankrupting the armed forces

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

When the Israelis do insane poo poo it's infuriating, when they do stuff like have to pull back a battalion for like a beer & wings it's baffling and hilarious

Either way it's hard to joke about because it's either mega hosed up turbocrimes or they fuckin scooped you. lol it's gonna turn out true they got drone deliveries of loving pizza hut going to the tanks & it's bankrupting the armed forces

I only half joke about the IDF refusing to fight unless they're in tanks because they want a place to put their lattes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Stupid loving apartheid piece of poo poo I loving hate that stupid white poo poo Elon Musk.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sancho Banana posted:

"Roni's unbelievable survival story: the building to which he was kidnapped was bombed, he escaped for 4 days - and Gazans turned him in to Hamas again"

so the people of gaza found some wounded dude alone in a warzone and turned him over to the authorities? truly the face of pure evil right there

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas beat both Nato and Israel:-

======================================

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6069429

NATO: We call for extending the humanitarian truce in Gaza
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg today called for an extension of the humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip.

the Israeli government: Hamas knows that we are open to extending the truce and we want to release 50 more Israelis.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cerebral Bore posted:

so the people of gaza found some wounded dude alone in a warzone and turned him over to the authorities? truly the face of pure evil right there

Nah he got rescued and treated by Hamas, but he had to make up a operator story how he almost escaped alone

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

By the way, absolutely everything we've heard about the hostages' experience in Gaza so far has been from their families. I haven't seen a word reported from the hostages themselves.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sancho Banana posted:

By the way, absolutely everything we've heard about the hostages' experience in Gaza so far has been from their families. I haven't seen a word reported from the hostages themselves.

look this sort of thing takes a while, the shin bet dudes are already working overtime to make sure the hostages won't deviate from the script

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Whoever made that post about Israeli society being simultaneously brutal fascists and soy cowards just ends up being perennially correct goddamn

They're the same poo poo, and always have been. Fascism requires that utter cowardice, entitlement and total lack of self-awareness.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Knitting Beetles posted:

Nah he got rescued and treated by Hamas, but he had to make up a operator story how he almost escaped alone

theoretically even if he wandered up to the IDF all dazed they would have just shot him on sight, literally the only safe way for hostages to leave is via the red cross

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Bastard Tetris posted:

Whoever made that post about Israeli society being simultaneously brutal fascists and soy cowards just ends up being perennially correct goddamn

Pictured: Benjamin Netanyahu giving a speech from a balcony in Zion Square, October 5th 1995.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

It’s a weird area to make jokes in because it’s just two very very extreme things that are both true. Like you want to do a joke about a rifle that has biometric scanners that log you in to your mindfulness app with custom daily affirmations, maybe the optic is also a retinal scanner, maybe there’s a little points system where if you unlock it every day you get dominos coupons, but they’re also gonna point that gun at a kid today. It’s hard to find the correct tone for that

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

I mean, they really did get pizza that one time. Unclear if they took it with them into Gaza from the start or if it got delivered somehow.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lol Israelis retreating to a rec center. Sounds like the US should’ve sent an ice cream barge instead of a carrier. Does the US maintain strategic uso readiness they can scramble in situations like this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First Battlefield game in ages I'd buy. If only.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Your commanding officer tells you to do something that might get you hurt so you and the boys gently caress off to go shoot some hoops at the rec center and blow off some steam

Chicken tendies rear end military

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Ansar allah ftw

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

Your commanding officer tells you to do something that might get you hurt so you and the boys gently caress off to go shoot some hoops at the rec center and blow off some steam

Chicken tendies rear end military

they found some (tens) Palestinian kids in a school making rude gestures and neither the air strike or the pizza they called in arrived in 30 minutes so they rated one star and went back to the fun base for snacks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

surprisingly elon musk will actually deliver Starlink to all medical emergency organizations in Gaza

https://x.com/turkishalhoub/status/1718236355916902754?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

im genuinely shocked

Al-Saqr posted:

Stupid loving apartheid piece of poo poo I loving hate that stupid white poo poo Elon Musk.

musked again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

fits my needs posted:

musked again

cant Busk the Musk!