Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it worth saving caches for Jeff even if the other options are just ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's one of the most versatile cards in the game

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's one of the most versatile cards in the game

Sorry I should have expanded a bit. Are caches or collectors tokens better to spend on him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Sorry I should have expanded a bit. Are caches or collectors tokens better to spend on him?
Depends on how many caches you have. If you have the tokens just go for it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

After trying to play several variations on Annihilus junk decks, I don't like him.

Too often I either don't draw him, or I'm not able to get my junk cards to a 0/negative state to get rid of them... I'll have rocks and/or infinity stones, but never get Hazmat or Typhoid Mary to bring them down to 0 or negative. (For the stones at any rate ..rocks at least (barring power increasing locations) can still move/get destroyed.)

And something I saw this morning that cost me a game is that he seemingly chooses random cards to send over? I thought it would go in play order.

On one location I had The Hood and a rock. The Hood was played first, and my opponent only had one open slot in that lane... But the rock went over. And since my opponent had Armor there, I didn't even get the benefit of Hood getting popped. I was counting on a 6 point swing in that lane but it was 0 points.

I've liked him but I've been avoiding leaning too hard into junk stuff and just going with a light package - basically just running sentry and hood, often in a shell that includes other ways to clean them up via bounce (or destroy)

you don't get to live the full clog dream (outside of a few locations anyway), but in exchange your deck is quite functional both with and without him and you retain his strongest combos

stuff like this and this

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://www.reuters.com/technology/bytedance-wind-down-gaming-brand-nuverse-full-retreat-gaming-sources-2023-11-27/

quote:

The Chinese technology firm has no plan to return to the $185 billion global video games market, said the people, who declined to be identified as the information is not public.

ByteDance will tell employees to stop working on unreleased games by December, and that it will look for ways to divest from titles already launched, the people said.

But Nuverse's performance has been patchy. Its best-known game is "Marvel Snap", an online card game that amassed a cult following but was not a commercial hit.

…huh. Super curious to see if more news comes out as it’s Monday there and should see more reporting here (US) tomorrow.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Nybble posted:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/bytedance-wind-down-gaming-brand-nuverse-full-retreat-gaming-sources-2023-11-27/

…huh. Super curious to see if more news comes out as it’s Monday there and should see more reporting here (US) tomorrow.

Interesting that that article says Snap is not a commercial hit, Marvel Snap Zone's report on the same story says it's generated $100m since release. https://t.co/iFVSU88RWQ

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
For mobile gaming context, Genshin Impact made two billion dollars in its first year.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, 100m should be dandy for a game like Snap, but stuff like Genshin skews the curve. It's the Call of Duty effect all over again, where every company expected their games to do CoD numbers even if the game in question was, like, an immersive sim or a cozy farming game.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
That's what they get for quadrupling the price of the Bast bundle :mad:

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
$100M sounds like a lot but it's been heavily advertised during that period as well. Total Downloads is estimated around 25M and getting $4 per install is very decent in mobile terms but not excessive. Typically costs for advertising per install are $5+. Even with personality dev Ben Brode helping get free coverage, I can imagine that a lot of that $100M has mostly been eaten up with the ads to get those installs (well it will have mostly been eaten up by Google and Apple taking their 30%, and Disney their 10%). Dev costs to date are probably about $20M.

They are relatively smashing it as a card game, but it's still a niche audience, and the ads market is absolutely hosed. It's doing well enough to make it worthwhile to keep running, and will pay for a second Second Dinner game. But Nuverse were probably hoping for better than "pays for itself".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The first six months of SNAP is just so hardcore. Six months of not having all the P3s. You either need to be so casual you're not paying attention to the cards on the screen or so long-term oriented that you can rationalize losing to cards you cant own for half a year. I'm amazed it's barely changed, even just adding pick one of three to P3 caches would help.

I dont think the game is for everyone, but it does seem like it could be for more people. Log in once every 8 hours for an entire month to try to lock your desired P3 this month was designed by some kind of sadist pervert freak.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 27, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, even with the stuff they've done to soften the edges, the new player onramp remains hideously sharp. I'm amazed they still haven't added something for scrupling S3 drops so people can play the cards and decks they want. Like, how hard would it be to have a S3 token drop from caches that you could redeem for any S3 of your choice? They wouldn't even need to replace S3 drops entirely. Just let people have a handful of tokens so they can make some specific choices about which cards to unlock.

I can't really think of another serious TCG where you're simply not allowed to play a meta-level deck until some arbitrary time limit has passed, no matter how much money you spend. I dunno, maybe they still get a big chunk of revenue from S3 players trying to accelerate out of the pool, but I've always held that it's terrible for the long-term health of the game to tax those players so heavily and it only gets worse as time goes on.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 27, 2023

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
They've consistently made the onramp worse as the game has gone forwards. It's just a night and day if you were already S3 complete before they introduced S4/5 stuff, and the various changing methods of acquiring them. I've never had any trouble getting all the meta stuff, because I've been effectively grandfathered in to the system

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

No Wave posted:

The first six months of SNAP is just so hardcore. Six months of not having all the P3s. You either need to be so casual you're not paying attention to the cards on the screen or so long-term oriented that you can rationalize losing to cards you cant own for half a year. I'm amazed it's barely changed, even just adding pick one of three to P3 caches would help.

I dont think the game is for everyone, but it does seem like it could be for more people. Log in once every 8 hours for an entire month to try to lock your desired P3 this month was designed by some kind of sadist pervert freak.

FWIW, this is not my experience. I've only been playing since the Loki season and fairly casually but still try to get all the missions done, and I buy the season pass but nothing else. Current CL is mid-1000, a fair bit into P3 but still missing a lot of the key cards for some decks. What I find is that because matchmaking is done mainly based on CL, all of my opponents are in the same situation. We may not have the same cards but everyone is lacking *a lot* so archetype decks without their powerful S4/5 finishers are absolutely viable (I've been running a destroy deck without Death or Venom that wins more often than not). When I see S4/5 cards it's pretty much only the season pass cards or cards that've been in spotlight vaults since that feature turned on for me. Only very very occasionally I run into someone with a card I literally had no reasonable way of getting without spending money - I think I've only encountered a Jeff in an opponent's deck *once*, for example.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have no idea what this news means for the game specifically, but FWIW this was what they posted on the official Discord this morning-

quote:

Dear SNAPPERS,

Some of our players have expressed their concerns regarding reported structural changes at Nuverse.
We wish to thank you for your concern and assure you that regardless of any changes at Nuverse, SNAP will continue to operate and flourish in the future!

Thank you & happy SNAPPING!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no idea what this news means for the game specifically, but FWIW this was what they posted on the official Discord this morning-

It means they're not turning the servers off. Nothing more.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Jedit posted:

It means they're not turning the servers off. Nothing more.

For now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that sounds pretty boilerplate, but what else are they gonna say? poo poo's hosed, and the future is uncertain, so stop giving us money?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, for now. But games can last a long time in maintenance mode. The Elder Scrolls: Legends went into maintenance before the pandemic and the servers are still on; there's even still regular events and they cycle through the monthly reward cards. I doubt Snap would last so long, but unless the plug is pulled directly it might see out another year.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe, but I haven't forgotten other games for which I could say the same that have been shuttered. Regionally shuttered, even!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Maintenance mode can also mean different things; it could mean they schedule out the next three or four months of content when the axe comes down and that goes out on a cycle before new content ends, and then you can continue to play for a few months beyond that. It could mean that whatever is in the pipeline just drops immediately, no more patches or balance, good luck and have fun until the servers shut down. Or they could be attractive enough to pull in a new sugar daddy and things just continue apace; despite being a relative low earner in the overall mobile game space, Snap is still a high earner in the mobile card game space and has a pedigree. At the end of the day most of what this means is just that the company that owns and operates fuckin' TikTok wants to wipe miniscule rounding errors like video games off their ledger.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, so long as they're in the green I have to imagine they could find another publisher off the Marvel name alone. How many loving Marvel-branded games have even turned a profit? Are there any in the past decade aside from Snap?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I want to say Marvel Contest of Champions is one of those games I hear bandied about chugging along with a surprisingly decent revenue/fanbase -- secondhand knowledge says that the game was being driven into the dirt and then actually made a bunch of changes to listen to its fanbase and turned things around, unless I'm thinking of some other Marvel mobile game -- but none of them have ever really hit the way a franchise like Marvel has the opportunity for. Because you can also point at stuff like Marvel Future Revolution that died in less than a year on mobile, or the fuckin' Crystal Dynamics Avengers game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I will be forever bitter that Midnight Suns wasn't a hit. That game deserved way better than it got.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it was a lot of fun, but that game type is pretty niche so I get it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I need to finish it, I got sidetracked when I took a vacation and never got back to it. That game is super drat good.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Midnight Suns was great, but it felt like it was just niches within niches, and probably had a narrow core audience. You basically had to like:

X-COM stuff
Card game stuff
Persona social link stuff
Marvel stuff, but the weird C-lister paranormal occult side of things as a focus
...but also with various movie big hitters added in for brand recognition

etc. I don't think any particular of those audiences got an in-depth experience either, so you basically had to hit multiple of them for the game to click

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But all those niches cobbled together into something much greater than the sum of its parts. It shoulda been a success in the same vein as X-Com 2012 or Fire Emblem Three Houses, but they bungled the marketing, and too many people pre-judged or weren't willing to step outside their comfort zone.

I am so bitter!

Okay, I'll shut up about the amazing game that got done dirty now. Sorry.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I just bought Midnight Suns on the black friday sale and started playing it, it's so good, already 20 hours in. The disappointing sales make me sad primarily because it means I'll never have the X-Men themed sequel that I wish for. The X-Mansion would be a perfect home base.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

But all those niches cobbled together into something much greater than the sum of its parts. It shoulda been a success in the same vein as X-Com 2012 or Fire Emblem Three Houses, but they bungled the marketing, and too many people pre-judged or weren't willing to step outside their comfort zone.

I am so bitter!

Okay, I'll shut up about the amazing game that got done dirty now. Sorry.

They really got turbo-hosed by people spreading the "it's a card game" gospel at a time when "lol ANOTHER deck-building card game??" was reaching fever pitch; ESPECIALLY when everyone had already gotten it into their mind that it was gonna just be Marvel X-com instead of Marvel Emblem.

Sometimes it's okay for something to be niche and beloved by that niche, but it does suck that there won't be a second, more refined pass in a sequel.

I picked up my copy with all the DLC during the Summer Sale, and what I've played of those DLC they're also super good even if Dracula is a grade-a rear end in a top hat.

drat I need to pick back up and finish Suns as soon as I finish Hi-fi Rush.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I blame Avengers for sucking. It's the same thing that killed the really good Guardians game

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, even with the stuff they've done to soften the edges, the new player onramp remains hideously sharp. I'm amazed they still haven't added something for scrupling S3 drops so people can play the cards and decks they want. Like, how hard would it be to have a S3 token drop from caches that you could redeem for any S3 of your choice? They wouldn't even need to replace S3 drops entirely. Just let people have a handful of tokens so they can make some specific choices about which cards to unlock.

I can't really think of another serious TCG where you're simply not allowed to play a meta-level deck until some arbitrary time limit has passed, no matter how much money you spend. I dunno, maybe they still get a big chunk of revenue from S3 players trying to accelerate out of the pool, but I've always held that it's terrible for the long-term health of the game to tax those players so heavily and it only gets worse as time goes on.

it's just bad game design. imagine touting not being able to own cards in an online collectible card game. the way they keep adding different currencies in game to further gatekeep progress is even more frustrating.

it's even worse because the game is actually fun to play but they seem very intent on making you suffer through it, esp. trying to squeeze every last dollar out of you as you try to build out your collection leaning heavily into the fomo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
There are some people who have dropped serious money on this game, and folks who get some income by streaming playing this game.

I'm just glad the total money I've spent on this game is less than the cost a physical video game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Something that bothered me and stopped me playing as much was the three card caches. The first time it worked one way, and I got a cool card. Then the next time I tried it I got 50 collectors tokens and the guarantee of a card was gone. It really bothered me because of the sheer number of levels I had to rise in order to get that special cache. I see they have made a ton of changes and you can bank them now, but the original way it was that first time seemed fine.

Also 50 collectors tokens is a laughable amount when things cost 1000s - I have only ever been able to buy one thing with collectors tokens and HE is a card I have had pinned for months and months and I am still only on 4150 tokens with another 1850 to go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They really hosed the economy when they took gold out of collectors caches entirely and also significantly reduced the amount of tokens you get in them

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really hosed the economy when they took gold out of collectors caches entirely and also significantly reduced the amount of tokens you get in them

Before the cache change I really looked forward to the variant shop reset every day because I could grab at least one variant a week, now I can only buy one every other week at best. Still my least favorite change in this game.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, and playing "efficiently" with just the season pass means you're also needing to sit on as much gold as possible for the next big/good bundle instead of actually getting to spend on cool variants as they pop up. I'd much rather get the cool-rear end Kim Jacinto or Pyeong-Jun Park Sentry that have popped up in my store than the lame-rear end Santa-Hat Sentry, but guess what, that one is going to be in the (currently as datamined) most efficient and best bundle that gold can buy. So I'm discouraged from getting a variant that I like better, because I'm going to be getting a variant at all when that one comes around.

I obviously could just, get the cooler variant that I want, but then it's less ~efficient~ since then I'll still be getting the Santa Hat variant ANYWAY and it feels worse to have that as part of the bundle that I'm really buying for the credits/tokens if I'm not also going to use the variant. (This was also my problem with the Good Jetski Mobius variant being paired with the awful Enchantress; and snow jacket Destroyer is a very good variant whether I use the Sentry or not, but nonetheless).

I hate these kinds of mobile game brainworm problems even as I actively participate in them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

First location District X against a Destory deck, but I had Loki in hand. Got his Deadpool and Knull with enough support pieces to ramp both while he got stuck playing random jank.

I'm an awful person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

I can't really think of another serious TCG where you're simply not allowed to play a meta-level deck until some arbitrary time limit has passed, no matter how much money you spend.

Yeah. They should really offer little "starter pack" S3 bundles with the core pieces of certain meta decks. Devil Dinosaur + Moon Girl + Collector bundle. Darkhawk + Rockslide + Mystique bundle. That kind of thing. Make them $20-30 and I guarantee people would buy them and have a lot more fun.

The worst part of S3 is having *almost* every card you need in a core package. At that point you might as well not play the deck. The only reason I beat a Galactus Destroy deck the other day was because I had Knull and they didn't. That's gotta feel lovely for the other player.