Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Path of achra is a riot so far, but it seems very all or nothing as far as failure has been concerned.

I'll basically be sitting on 100% health, killing stuff left and right. Then I'll randomly get one shot and start again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Agrinja posted:

Triangle Wizard 2 looks so good. I'm also loving Wizard of Legend. Anything else like this? I have played and love Noita.

It's turn-based, but considering giving IVAN a try :unsmigghh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Has anyone played the co-op on Astral Ascent? The thing I am most curious about is if that mode has special boss banter. I assume it would be the case since the game also takes account you bringing along Zodiac summons.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's turn-based, but considering giving IVAN a try :unsmigghh:

I may have played it. That's the classic style one where you wind up short a few limbs every game? That was fun, lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Agrinja posted:

Triangle Wizard 2 looks so good. I'm also loving Wizard of Legend. Anything else like this? I have played and love Noita.

Do you like Isaac? Do you like noita? Then play magicraft! It even has a demo! Only $10 otherwise. I'm loving it, and love coming up with cool wands in it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

w00tmonger posted:

Path of achra is a riot so far, but it seems very all or nothing as far as failure has been concerned.

I'll basically be sitting on 100% health, killing stuff left and right. Then I'll randomly get one shot and start again

There is a race option that has one shot protection. Also if your prayer is full that will save you from death from one source. Not sure how you were supposed to win with a dodge build before that was introduced.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm bad at video games so I only just got a run where I reach the final boss in Astral Ascent and oh god oh no I am never going to beat this thing. It is funny how like... extra he is: summons all the other bosses, makes you fight a shadow clone of yourself, all the classic final boss beats are here!

I think I like how Callie plays the most so far. The gem stuff feels pretty unique! Also I like her being snooty to all the bosses and she has good interactions with Virgo. Ayla is a close second tho.

e: still haven't met aquarius so the bit where they make you choose your constellation sign hasn't matter for me yet lmao

The final boss has another one of those! If you bring along a Zodiac spell (not summon, just the special themed spells you get every now and then) then he goes 'nuh-uh, their power's mine' and makes it way harder to cast lol In general I really like AA's final boss, it's an arms race to see who has the most bullshit at hand.

Spoilers about choosing a sign, because it doesn't work like one would think: Sadly, it doesn't affect the actual fight - instead, there's a very small chance the corresponding Zodiac will show up at the beginning of a run and give you a hand. Despite doing 25 runs I still haven't seen Virgo appear for me so it seems it's a very small chance.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am very late to the party with Synthetik but I bought it during this Steam sale and am having a blast with it. I already want to take the plunge on Synthetik 2 but I feel like I could put in a lot of hours in 1 before getting bored. So far I've just played a few rounds with each class and they all feel interesting and have different enough playstyles, which seems to bode well.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Thanks! This is what I was looking for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mithross posted:

I was conflating Astrea and Astral Ascent for quite awhile. I realized that they were two things last night, and immediately tried Astral Ascent and realized it is quite good.
lmao I was too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like my main lingering issue with Roboquest is how some perks functionally don't do anything against bosses or require melee hits which is impractical most of the time and especially so against phase 1 Iris. I think some might just be oversights because there are effects that get adjusted for bosses, but it's hard to say. I guess it's hardly the first roguelike/lite to have problems with the final boss forcing your strategy.

They also should really pause effect/perk timers while you're in a time out zone like they already do for the clock. :argh:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Playing through Cobalt Core and man, does Gemini get a busted boss relic like Ares or anything? I know the whole deal is that you can play two drone cards in a row without having to burn a shift or move, but there's only one drone character and, so far, zero missile characters. It feels like it's build for a niche of one even putting aside how busted Jupiter is.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You actually don't care as much about drone cards with Gemini. Try going for big meaty attacks with downsides

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

I am very late to the party with Synthetik but I bought it during this Steam sale and am having a blast with it. I already want to take the plunge on Synthetik 2 but I feel like I could put in a lot of hours in 1 before getting bored. So far I've just played a few rounds with each class and they all feel interesting and have different enough playstyles, which seems to bode well.

Synthetik is amazing.
There's no reason to jump to 2 yet until it's at least done developing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

Do you like Isaac? Do you like noita? Then play magicraft! It even has a demo! Only $10 otherwise. I'm loving it, and love coming up with cool wands in it.

I'll also add in Undermine, which I've put plenty of hours into on multiple platforms.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cobalt Core is as good as people are describing, I'm not sure how much of that is the actual card game which feels fiddly - there's a lot of seemingly garbage cards - but the writing is absolutely carrying it so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1728832614394634372

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is a lot of stuff! i dunno if its appropriate to call the game tiny rogues... maybe big rogues... big bia rogues...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

You actually don't care as much about drone cards with Gemini. Try going for big meaty attacks with downsides

I think you're thinking of Jupiter. Gemini really does like drones.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought people were taking about the remake of Savant Ascent when they were saying Astral Ascent, what are the chances those two would come out at the same time

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

gently caress yeah I was looking for a reason to get back to it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schurik posted:

gently caress yeah I was looking for a reason to get back to it

0.2 should hit public testing on December 1st so you don't have too much more to wait.

I don't know exactly when Rift Wizard 2 is hitting EA but it should be sometime over the next couple months.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Cobalt Core dev hinted at some new content on their latest update. Can't wait!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I tried getting back into Rift Wizard after reading about it in thread, but bounced off it pretty hard. I had won a few of times (mainly based off lightning builds) in the past, but now find myself struggling to get past realm 10. I forgot how steep the learning curve was.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Do you like Shiren knock-offs, but also wish they had a lot of risque character art? Your wish will be granted soon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2436340/Yuuna_and_the_Haunted_Hot_Springs_The_Thrilling_Steamy_Maze_Kiwami/

Looks like there's also an action minigame.

(NGL, I'll probably get this if the reviews aren't terrible)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

It's wild the dev is releasing this on 12/22, but also a christmas miracle for anyone wanting to play games over the break.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It feels like the unlockable ships are really the sauce behind some of the other characters. Isaac kinda blows on the starting ship but on the Jupiter he can really cook.

Ares/Jupiter also enables some balls out attack decks which are cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Finally managed to pull off a win on Classic mode in Poker Quest. Tough game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tequila Bob posted:

Do you like Shiren knock-offs, but also wish they had a lot of risque character art? Your wish will be granted soon!

A different and unrelated game, by different publishers, with a mixed rating and mystery dungeon tag recommend underneath by the Steam algorithms:

Omega Labyrinth Life posted:

Roguelike x Relaxation! Take it easy in the latest addition to the series where you buff your bust with every foe you defeat, Omega Labyrinth! Enjoy your daily life in an academy of fair maidens!

Going back to the actual developer and looking over their previous titles I’m notably more optimistic but that might just be the whiplash from the Steam algorithm.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Three thoughts:

• Tallowmere 2 is now out on Switch for $5, with no mention that
  • TM2 is still EA on PC for $10/$8 sale, I’m not sure the Nintendo eShop actually supports changing your game description or flagging a game EA
  • Someone is now working on a spiritual successor to POWDER and apparently will be releasing monthly dev videos and she asked Jeff Lait for the go-ahead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Broken Cog posted:

Finally managed to pull off a win on Classic mode in Poker Quest. Tough game.

Yeah I think I only ever got a win with like 3? characters in my 36 hours of play time?
I am bad at video games tho.
e: i never did play it since 1.0, i should give it another go while waiting for Balatro.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 28, 2023

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I think I only ever got a win with like 3? characters in my 36 hours of play time?
I am bad at video games tho.
e: i never did play it since 1.0, i should give it another go while waiting for Balatro.

Can definitely recommend giving it another go, they've added quite a lot since EA. Especially many new characters.
I can't quite remember how many areas/bosses there were before 1.0, but there's 3 worlds + 4 bosses for an "Ultimate stakes win" (or Win+++, as the game denotes it) now.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 28, 2023

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
After 15 hours in Touhou Branch of legends, I quite like it. Colored mana is a very interesting twist.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Schism starting off EA strong come mid Dec:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2084300/Schism/

Likewise, Tiny Rogues EA free expansion update (Yes) coming in mid-late Dec with a price bump, snazzy trailer, and chaotic beta this Friday'ish:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3881601883175540664

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Synthetik has its hooks in me for sure. While I haven't been able to fully beat a run yet, I'm slowly getting better and more familiar with the mechanics and started adding on some of the different difficulty modifiers, at least to 140% so I won't be behind the curve once I start prestiging.

So far, I really like the Breacher class. Zipping along, stunning groups of enemies and magdumping point blank shotguns feels really satisfying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My favorite Syunthetik class is the Heavy Gunner.
You get to saturate the atmosphere around you into being at least 50% lead and you a nice long scoot dash that makes you even better at it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Always been a fan of the sniper. Headshots and crits in synthetik feel so drat good and when you get a disgustingly upgraded sniper and can reliably pull off headshots there's nothing like it.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

shout out to Snooze Cruise for evangelizing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. i'll be obsessed with it for approximately forever

not just a perfect marriage of shmups and roguelite mechanics, but arguably the most accessible shmup of all time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah really can't stress enough how good the game is about providing an on-ramp into higher difficulty stuff. I definitely found myself clearing things I never thought I'd clear and probably became better at shmups in general, without ever hitting a big wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Well gently caress I guess I better buy it now