Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i distinctly remember the feeling of "this is all just too much" as part of why i fell off payday 2 thiugh i dont remember the triggering event. Payday 3 has the opposite problem in that it feels hollow. Maybe that'll get better but as it is not even the empty bones are that appealing as "systems"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tulip posted:

I do kinda feel for the devs, not just of payday but of any sort of games-as-a-service game. Like its just not possible that payday 3 on release could ever have had the level of content support that payday 2 had at the end of its lifespan, and like for myself as a consumer it feels like an incredibly stupid choice: even if I didn't already own payday 2, I have the choice between a game that costs 100% of a new game and has x amount of content, or i could buy the older game that costs 10% of a new game and has 20x the amount of content. And because of like, just how game development works in the GAAS paradigm, the older game is going to be more, not less, polished. Unless you have some sort of truly rare psychologically devastating reaction to the older graphics, the newer game is just kind of a worse deal.

IDK that's me being more philosophical. I don't know that its an impossible ask - I was worried that CK3 would fall into this same problem where its the green shoots trying to survive in the oppressive shade of the hulking tree of CK2, but CK3 seems to have been well executed (though I am worried that the still hypothetical EU5 will suck poo poo because its going to have to compete with a game that has 10+ years of continuous polishing). And while the green shoots problem for PD3 pretty much killed my interest in it, all the reports I've gotten from this thread and others is that PD3 has plenty of problems above and beyond that.

All this talk just kind of makes me want to clear up some hard drive space so I can shoot some cops in PD2 though.

I mean, PD2 was supposed to “end” at the end of 2017, and then Overkill’s The Walking Dead imploded, and the company went insolvent, so they went back to making DLC for their captive audience two years later so they could buy time while they got a Payday 3 off the ground. Now it’s out after four years of development and it still feels underbaked. They are just not good developers, and they honestly never particularly have been.

Almost nothing that eventually became fun about Payday 2 was there at launch. There were no tradeoffs between armor and dodging, the skill system was completely different, the level system was an unbearable grind that left people running Rats five million times in a row just to be able to access basic functions. Developers launching GaaS games in a disappointing state and then improving them as time goes on is the business model behind some of the most successful examples of the business model, but Overkill is trying to do it now when they have less staff, less resources, and less time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo part of the issue with Payday 2 was just the constant flow of paid DLC. I think that mentally I prefer a single more expensive expansion rather than cheaper, smaller, constant DLC. When a game drops a large pack of maps and guns it's something to get you back into the flow of the game and keep playing. Meanwhile if it's "hey $4 and you can play one map" you can buy it and play the one map a few times but retention is a lot lower because there isn't anything else to bounce off onto when you get bored of the one map, so you just go back to whatever game you were playing before.

It's also a problem when you log back in after not playing for a while and the whole game menu is just a mess of grayed out items with "DLC" stamped across the front, all bundled across a thousand different separate purchases. Even if they all add up to what a single large purchase might be, and it allows you to tailor what you want to actually buy, it still *feels* more exploitative.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think I need to do another big 'ol effortpost about what transpired between 2015 and the "fall" of overkill, which seems to have gone underreported. It seems to have almost all been the fruits of one especially disastrous executive agreement.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it also gave us one of the funniest and best part of Payday 2 by accident :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hey, remember Raid: World War II? Guys, remember Raid? Anyone?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The state of PD3 would be easier to give a pass to if the game didn't feel so similar to PD2. Like if the engine was such an overhaul that the graphics and physics and mechanics were all massively improved to the point that it felt like a new game I would be willing to overlook how devoid of content it is, but to the layman PD3 looks identical to PD2 and there really weren't that many mechanical improvements made between the two games outside of the new stealth (which is admittedly a very welcome change) so it feels like a downgrade in most respects. It feels like it could be another darktide situation where in a year with some more content it could be pretty great but the player numbers for PD3 are pretty disastrous right now and they haven't exactly been out there banging a drum about much of anything in the pipeline except for rehashed content from PD2 so I don't have a ton of faith in them to turn the ship around at the moment.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:hmmyes:

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, remember Raid: World War II? Guys, remember Raid? Anyone?

I got called in on a weekend like 2 weeks before it’s launch to rework the weapons (recoil, damage, the way some skills worked with them), then all those changes got reverted in the day 1 patch

womp womp

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Eh.
PD2 is dirt cheap most of the time, has 10 years of content, and runs on weaker hardware.
Aus pricing at the moment had PD2 at $14.50 full price/$3.62 current sale price. PD3 (if not playing it on GamePass) is $59.95/$47.96
I could get PD2 and still have $45.45/$44.34 to spend on DLC on top of all the extra free stuff already in it. 2 also has janky but still rather fun (and free) VR.

I kinda like the slower pace of PD3 but yeeeeeeah. 2 got a bit over the top with how manic it was at times (though I won't say no to Payday but Titanfall movement).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
RAID has apparently reemerged into some sort of fan-maintained half-life that I don't fully understand, and has as a part of that process undergone a lot of improvements to most of its systems. I'm planning to give it another try once my backlog clears up a bit.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Discendo Vox posted:

RAID has apparently reemerged into some sort of fan-maintained half-life that I don't fully understand, and has as a part of that process undergone a lot of improvements to most of its systems. I'm planning to give it another try once my backlog clears up a bit.

I'm waiting for the next update when they revise the skills to give it another go. Probably still won't stick to it, but I'm curious enough.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It would be a weird turn of events if Raid WW2 gets a new lease on life as Payday 3 dies. So many things about Raid were just absolutely loving terrible.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pirate Jet posted:

I mean, PD2 was supposed to “end” at the end of 2017, and then Overkill’s The Walking Dead imploded, and the company went insolvent, so they went back to making DLC for their captive audience two years later so they could buy time while they got a Payday 3 off the ground. Now it’s out after four years of development and it still feels underbaked. They are just not good developers, and they honestly never particularly have been.

Almost nothing that eventually became fun about Payday 2 was there at launch. There were no tradeoffs between armor and dodging, the skill system was completely different, the level system was an unbearable grind that left people running Rats five million times in a row just to be able to access basic functions. Developers launching GaaS games in a disappointing state and then improving them as time goes on is the business model behind some of the most successful examples of the business model, but Overkill is trying to do it now when they have less staff, less resources, and less time.

Absolutely. And yes there's absolutely been some absolute banger GAAS games - I played Warframe and Payday 2 often in parallel over the same period, and Warframe has some really remarkable achievements to its belt. Payday 2 is largely held together by nobody else really touching the concept its going for, which allows it to stumble quite badly with nobody eating their lunch. And in more 'modern' DRG is fantastic and very GAAS, though the GAAS model that I think is the most interesting is EU4, where they released a bajillion DLC and then after the fact made a (quite cheap) subscription, which TBH I think really cuts to the heart of GAAS economic models: they need a constant inflow of cash in order to pay developers for a constant outflow of content, and you can get that from a drip feed of DLCs but that is going to be intrinsically more volatile than "we get x dollars per user per month" like an old MMO.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Remember when they introduced Captain Winters and said there was gonna be more special characters like him? :effort:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Croccers posted:

Remember when they introduced Captain Winters and said there was gonna be more special characters like him? :effort:

the dev team are the most special of characters

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Today’s update deals with a number of bugs and quality of life updates. Among the more noticeable is a change in how the game handles any damage over time effects.

The thing we really wanted to bring up in this message however, is that we’ve also bundled a lot of our licensed content in the game into one DLC. We did this in order to ensure you’ll always keep access to the content regardless of any future changes.
We’ll make sure to announce ahead of time when/if anything changes, we didn’t want you to worry when you spotted the DLC.

This also means we’ve moved around a few of the requirements of some achievements, again, this won’t affect those who already have them.

:ccb: For PAYDAY 2 instead of 3 :ccb:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao at Payday 2 getting more regular and substantial updates than Payday 3

Been thinking about the PD3 launch as compared to Darktide, which similarly launched in what felt like a far too early and not yet ready for primetime state. The difference of course is that we all had fun playing Darktide in spite of the lack of content and there was plenty to keep us busy for ~50 hours or so before we burned out on playing it and we drifted away to other things. The gameplay in PD3 is good but not good enough to make me want to keep playing the same thing over and over without added incentive of fun and interesting unlocks to look forward to or things to spend my money on. I just think they've dug themselves into a huge hole with this shoddy launch and don't really have any faith that they'll turn it around anytime soon, especially after seeing the numbers PD2 is still pulling in daily.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 29, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

UnknownMercenary posted:

It would be a weird turn of events if Raid WW2 gets a new lease on life as Payday 3 dies. So many things about Raid were just absolutely loving terrible.

Anyone got a detailed postmortem of Raid? I grabbed it at release and bounced off hard after a few missions, but it'd be interesting to hear what real Payday heads thought of it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Gort posted:

Anyone got a detailed postmortem of Raid? I grabbed it at release and bounced off hard after a few missions, but it'd be interesting to hear what real Payday heads thought of it.

I don't have anything big and detailed, but my big sticking points were that it felt like most weapons were kinda meh and the enemies were big bullet sponges. Like multiple headshots required on dudes without helmets level of bullet sponges. I also only played solo as I never got my crew into it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It felt like a really poorly made Payday 2 mod.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

looks like a big patch out, haven't read it yet

https://www.paydaythegame.com/news/...eb91d7e6a&gsc=1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pharmaskittle posted:

"One difference in the new Cook Off is that it is not endless, the maximum number of bags possible is now capped at 19."

Booooooo

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Pharmaskittle posted:

They made it so my crew's resident dumbass can't softlock us on the art gallery, so that's really good. I don't see anything about making the 1911 any better, which is unfortunate.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My friends and I played the patch:
Cookout crashed midheist.
Turgid Station gave us no payout despite us getting all but one bag and getting out.
We did a penthouse run just to blow off steam about the problems, which also crashed midheist.

The changes to the armor skill giving you double means you just need even more armor bags, further emphasizing armor.

God drat guys do anything different please

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Apparently people are immediately blowing up the lab on cook off.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

padijun posted:

Apparently people are immediately blowing up the lab on cook off.

Nature is healing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gort posted:

The Devs:
Raid was funded by Starbreeze and produced by Lion Game Lion (LGL), a Croatian studio formed by Overkill employee Ilija Petrusic. Ilija had done a lot of behind the scenes work for overkill from the beginning (he was immortalized ingame by voicing "Ilija, the sniper we hired"). I've interacted directly with him, he's a good egg. LGL had done a fair amount of contract work of Overkill as it was set up, including material for the BBQ weapon pack, driveable vehicles, the Bomb heists and Dragan's weapons and assets, as well as the Golden Grin heist. Other than the BBQ pack, which was well-received, LGL content tended to be conceptually ambitious, but often had an additional layer of jank or dysfunction embedded in it that was resolved over time. This isn't necessarily attributable to a lack of ability on their part; the Diesel engine is difficult to work with and we don't know their level of resourcing.

As Bo Andersson continued to approve everything within reach and expand Starbreeze into a publisher, LGL also was involved with the production of little remembered twin-stick game Antisphere, apparently as a subsidiary publisher. All of this was prelude to heavily funding LGL as a full, separate studio to create Raid: WW2 which received a significant amount of hype and crossover support in Payday 2. This notably coincided with the nadir of balance and support decisions for Payday 2, with strong conflict and departures occurring in Overkill staff.

The problems:
Raid had a laundry list of problems during development and launch, several of which should sound very familiar. In particular, Raid had what I call the "oh, that's why" problem. In an effort to he development team made the critical error of listening to the Payday userbase and implemented a long list of features or functions that were much-requested by Payday 2 fans, only to rediscover why they'd not been implemented in Payday 2. Here's a partial list of ideas promoted in Raid that didn't work (including these fan requests, in bold):
  • A quasi open-world, navigable city that the player travels through on vehicles. This turned out to be a performance and resource nightmare, and was abandoned. The colossal open city maps were reused for in-mission "operations" that were a largely uninteresting slog. This shift is what made the game a really direct competitor for Payday 2, which...wasn't good.
  • Qualitatively different skills associated with individual player characters. One character was good; others were objectively less so.
  • The removal or reduction of deployables, instead focusing on in-map health and ammo pickups and player skills. This produced deeply imbalanced feast-or-famine gameplay, usually emphasizing famine (especially at launch, when you basically did not have regenerating armor).
  • The return of weapon-specific kill-based progression, in parallel to a general progression track. Complete weapon-specific challenges to gradually buff the stats of that weapon. This produced a horrendous grind to make weapons good enough to compete on higher difficulties.
  • Several different special enemy types heavily demanded by players, including an artillery spotter that summons airstrikes, snipers that (since it's WW2) don't use lasers, a flamethrower enemy, and a captain enemy that changes enemy aggression and causes more lethal SS enemies to spawn. These enemies were not fun to fight, especially the captains, who demonstrated why Captain Winters in PD2 is as limited as he is.
  • The ability to move bodies without bodybags and more dynamic stealth. This resulted in a deeply unintuitive stealth system that revolved around breaking or exploiting mission scripting. Stealth in the game feels brittle, nonresponsive and very, very janky. An audio lure item added later broke things further.
  • A disposable card modifier system to change the payout and dynamics of heists. This concept, popular in gamedev during the time, wasn't a total failure but was visibly underbalanced.
  • A customizeable "safehouse" that was used to make decisions and loadout selections between missions. This slows down going from one heist to the next and was, again, a performance nightmare.

For all of these issues, LGL basically got as far as producing them in the game, then discovered, "Oh, that's why it wasn't done in Payday". I should note Payday 2 was actually experiencing the same problem during this period, as the director in charge of balance at the time, Jules Marquez, was notoriously reactive to the demands of the most vocal streamers, implementing balance tweaks and user-demanded features (like a police captain enemy) that "everyone wanted", but hadn't been included for good reason: they didn't loving work. Many similar bad decisions also appeared in the greatest public Starbreeze failure from this period, Overkill's The Walking Dead.

All of the above issues were severe at launch, plus the game just didn't feel finished- it had severe performance issues and needed another six months to a year of time and additional content to be able to have enough momentum to sustain its playerbase. Again, this may sound familiar.

But wait!
Unlike Jules or other Starbreeze products from the period, LGL slowly chipped away at and either reversed or at least improved many of these issues and added a significant amount of new content before the game stopped getting updates. What's more, a group of fans and the remnant members of LGL (I'm not really clear on the details here) are still, labor-of-love style, plugging away at further major improvements and adding additional missions. A big fix update is on the horizon. I fully intend to get a crew together and give Raid: WW2 a fresh look once it arrives.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 2, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

one of the biggest things i remember not liking about raid was that you didn't pick up ammo drops automatically but had to interact with them which i guess was supposed to make things feel more tense and tactical but it just slowed everything down and made things super awkward feeling

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
CHEERS for the transporter skill line

JEERS for nerfing armor up without making ammo or doc bags viable

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Tried to play the new patch couldn’t find a server for 8 minutes. Ended up on my own. Like the new animations at least.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The expanded Cook Off is quite confusing - the garage portion is connected to the basement, but it's not very useful or interesting, as cops just don't go there. What the heist does show, is how much more ammo you need as compared to Payday 2 - we were running out of bullets at the 3rd/4th bag. It does show nicely the upgades to Tazers, we fell into so many electromines :v: Keep the hostages alive as long as possible, grenadiers stop showing any remorse as soon as they're gone, and it's not easy to cook at that point. I do like the extra "keep the meth on the burner until it changes color" for extra bag value. A solid heist.

The new Murky Station sucksssssssssssss tho. Extra tedium added by the Payday 3 stealth, while engaging more players, requires a lot more moving parts and is annoying as hell. I used the hostage to open the security room on a whim, but when we realized that is now a neccessary step to secure the satelites, it hit us just how difficult the heist has become. This is, again, made more annoying by the lacking hud elements like "how many subroutines I still have left?" or "is the camera I'm looking through looped or not?". I was never a big fan of the Payday 2 version, and Payday 3 does nothing to win me over.

For a free update, it's an okay step.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kikas posted:

The expanded Cook Off is quite confusing - the garage portion is connected to the basement, but it's not very useful or interesting, as cops just don't go there. What the heist does show, is how much more ammo you need as compared to Payday 2 - we were running out of bullets at the 3rd/4th bag. It does show nicely the upgades to Tazers, we fell into so many electromines :v: Keep the hostages alive as long as possible, grenadiers stop showing any remorse as soon as they're gone, and it's not easy to cook at that point. I do like the extra "keep the meth on the burner until it changes color" for extra bag value. A solid heist.

The new Murky Station sucksssssssssssss tho. Extra tedium added by the Payday 3 stealth, while engaging more players, requires a lot more moving parts and is annoying as hell. I used the hostage to open the security room on a whim, but when we realized that is now a neccessary step to secure the satelites, it hit us just how difficult the heist has become. This is, again, made more annoying by the lacking hud elements like "how many subroutines I still have left?" or "is the camera I'm looking through looped or not?". I was never a big fan of the Payday 2 version, and Payday 3 does nothing to win me over.

For a free update, it's an okay step.

I have hazy recollections of doing Rats at low level requiring you to be careful with ammo but god, it's so long ago that I don't know if that's just my memory playing tricks on me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah, and the Cook-Off track is quite solid.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Kikas posted:

The expanded Cook Off is quite confusing - the garage portion is connected to the basement, but it's not very useful or interesting, as cops just don't go there. What the heist does show, is how much more ammo you need as compared to Payday 2 - we were running out of bullets at the 3rd/4th bag.

the mower skills for ammo pickup on kill and adding ammo directly to your magazine are absolutely worth it. combine them with the AK47or CAR with a 45 round mag, you will never need to reload again much less pick up ammo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fil5000 posted:

I have hazy recollections of doing Rats at low level requiring you to be careful with ammo but god, it's so long ago that I don't know if that's just my memory playing tricks on me.

The ammo economy has changed in several ways over the game's history. There were points, particularly early, where running out of ammo was the primary fail state, and strategic letting people go into custody to trade them back to get some of their ammo back was a legitimate part of strategy. I remember particularly early on that it was trolling to take less than 6 ammo bags with your crew.

Last I was up to date with the meta, the weapons that were considered good for endurance runs were ones that had unusually high pickups - specific LMGs and grenade launchers had unusually high pickups, and while dragonsbreath rounds were not especially economical their sheer staggering utility at clearing (and more importantly, stunning) large groups of cops justified their use. DMRs are a particular category where most of the time they had dogshit ammo economy that made them unviable outside of the exceptionally short heists (which people didnt bother optimizing for) and had a few time periods where their pickups were so reliable it was dubious to use any other conventional weapon.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
https://www.pcgamer.com/den-of-wolves-preview-game-awards/

new game by part of the PDTH/PD2 team, it's the future instead so instead of bank robberies you steal brains or something? could be cool

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

padijun posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/den-of-wolves-preview-game-awards/

new game by part of the PDTH/PD2 team, it's the future instead so instead of bank robberies you steal brains or something? could be cool

Oh interesting, so this is their next project now that GTFO is feature complete? Wonder if it'll be as hardcore as GTFO or a bit more lite like Payday: I'm down either way and will keep it on the radar.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
drat that game will be badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

First paid dlc finally dropped after 7+ hours of server maintenance and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh