Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
frieren what are you giving to stark?
*stares at fern*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Took me a few minutes to stop laughing when they gave Frieren an Anya face. This series...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh no who let Chika Fujiwara run an entire village? :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, would you dare to tell her not to? :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is the best adaption of anything I've ever seen.
That slowly swelling trombone as Stark realized how much he meant to his brother just before eating the hamburger steak gave me literal chills in my neck.

He's a good boy. Or I guess he's a man now.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
lol, Fern didn't want Stark to bridal carry Frieren

the animation of Frieren kicking her feet up and down casually while reading on the bed.

I never thought much of the flashbacks in the manga on the hero's party. like a 'oh thats neat i guess'
but the anime treats every flashback with such fondness, i actually care about it a lot now

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 25, 2023

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
is stark getting mud on his brother's cloak faster than he can react a glimmer of his potential? eg what would become his lightning strike? or am i reading something from nothing?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think he just let his guard down around his kid brother. He didn't seem to comment on any hidden talent; I think he just wanted to help. My favourite little detail there is him kneeling down to train Stark, and the hem of his white cloak getting all muddy and stained. Family's worth getting messy for.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I think this episode highlights how above the level the current party actually is.
The former member of the hero party, a warrior trained by a former member, and a mage raised by one and trained by another.

They been getting wins and clearing mobs like nothing. So you might think its normal. But look at all the other instances.
Frieren entire village being wiped out, Stark's warrior village wiped out, the previous town against Aura was definitely on a losing battle, a stalemate at best, and just because of the barrier. That's what 99% of the the actual level of regular warriors and mages are, they can do basic pest control, but anything more than that, they just get killed and can barely hold a resistance against some random general. The average mage can probably just shoot fireball like twice a day or something. Not spam it like Fern.

The town Frieren clears out can't even handle a bunch of nameless mob monsters despite Frieren saying 'the town of keeper of the sword should have some skill' or something. But no they can't even handle some slightly over aggressive wolves. They say regular mercenaries wouldn't be able to handle it either.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this show is so warm

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

GateOfD posted:

I never thought much of the flashbacks in the manga on the hero's party. like a 'oh thats neat i guess'
but the anime treats every flashback with such fondness, i actually care about it a lot now

Yeah, the show did a much better job showing just how much frieren was affected by that. Something else I got from this that don't remember the manga touching on here: frieren's sadness that himmel as he's remembered is not himmel as he was. Since his death, the hero who was strong enough to forge his own destiny has been replaced by the hero who was always destined to succeed.

Himmel was able to make his mark on history, but even so, the actual person frieren knew is fading away.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 25, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

GateOfD posted:

the animation of Frieren kicking her feet up and down casually while reading on the bed.

That entire scene had "more" animation than the fight scene against the wolf monsters. The fluidity of her leg kicks, the jangle of her earring when she perks her head up, her motions ruffling through her case and pulling out the potion and afterwards when she's looking at the ring. So much care taken into the smaller moments.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KariOhki posted:

That entire scene had "more" animation than the fight scene against the wolf monsters. The fluidity of her leg kicks, the jangle of her earring when she perks her head up, her motions ruffling through her case and pulling out the potion and afterwards when she's looking at the ring. So much care taken into the smaller moments.

Frieren doing leg kicks in bed and demonstrating bad taste in gifts is way more important than killing some wolf monsters </complete lack of sarcasm>

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Whoever said nobody emotes in this is crazy. Fern's expressions might be the best thing about this show.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I think people say that because frieren and fern usually have poker faces during fight scenes. But that's clearly a choice on the part of the animators given how much they emote otherwise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sharkmafia posted:

I think people say that because frieren and fern usually have poker faces during fight scenes. But that's clearly a choice on the part of the animators given how much they emote otherwise.

My assumption is that since demons use emotions as weaknesses to be exploited then Frieren realised at some point that if you show any genuine emotion during a fight you're just handing them ammo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

It's also a thing with people thinking of the manga, where everyone is even more poker faced.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My assumption is that since demons use emotions as weaknesses to be exploited then Frieren realised at some point that if you show any genuine emotion during a fight you're just handing them ammo

Yeah that and it's pretty bad rear end

not usually how people act in anime fights but there's something to be said for it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also a thing with people thinking of the manga, where everyone is even more poker faced.

Yeah, my main complaint about the manga, that everyone is ":|" all the time, is somewhat (though not completely) obviated.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GateOfD posted:

I think this episode highlights how above the level the current party actually is.
The former member of the hero party, a warrior trained by a former member, and a mage raised by one and trained by another.

They been getting wins and clearing mobs like nothing. So you might think its normal. But look at all the other instances.
Frieren entire village being wiped out, Stark's warrior village wiped out, the previous town against Aura was definitely on a losing battle, a stalemate at best, and just because of the barrier. That's what 99% of the the actual level of regular warriors and mages are, they can do basic pest control, but anything more than that, they just get killed and can barely hold a resistance against some random general. The average mage can probably just shoot fireball like twice a day or something. Not spam it like Fern.

The town Frieren clears out can't even handle a bunch of nameless mob monsters despite Frieren saying 'the town of keeper of the sword should have some skill' or something. But no they can't even handle some slightly over aggressive wolves. They say regular mercenaries wouldn't be able to handle it either.

They're definitely way above par, but the further north you go the messier/more dangerous things get, so that's where the serious mages, fighters, and priests are. I feel like a major city is tough for a typical demon to handle due to the sheer numbers involved too. Kind of like how in D&D you can be a super high level wizard but you'd almost certainly get beat by 200+ basic npcs with spears and crossbows. But if you're at the level of Fern or Aura, you can take on those kinds of numbers and come out on top. I do agree that at the moment it pretty much does boil down to them being overleveled for the areas they've passed through so far.

This latest episodes caught me right in the feels in the second half, which I'll choose to blame on watching it while having my usual insomnia late at night. This anime's done a great job of reminding me of why I liked this manga so much once I found out about it, since a lot of it has been stuff I've forgotten about.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I like the sound Frieren made when Fern poured the potion on her

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

eisen's facial expressions are the best facial expressions

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If someone cooked me a giant good boy burger for my birthday I would be soooo happy

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/artsywak/status/1728535069449740631

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I'm a little surprised by how much fan art Aura has been and is still getting. What if Aura the Guillotine, but maid?

bonus points for bocchiface

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Centzon Totochtin posted:

If someone cooked me a giant good boy burger for my birthday I would be soooo happy

Fern's gonna start demanding those for her birthday from now on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Agronox posted:

I'm a little surprised by how much fan art Aura has been and is still getting. What if Aura the Guillotine, but maid?

bonus points for bocchiface

I've seen some of these, they're hilarious.

Someone should just splice Aura into the most emotional scenes of episodes going forward.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 27, 2023

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Agronox posted:

fan art Aura has been and is still getting

some of it is very cool and normal and some of it is VERY COOL AND NORMAL

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm always impressed by the anime algorithm's ability to produce the most insanely horny output from even the most relatively chaste series.

E: though granted Frieren isn't exactly COMPLETELY clean handed

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1729048001757487134?t=etoaRAHHUiMb71jRKGMG0Q&s=19

Went through their history and there's a bunch of frieren comics I can't understand then at some point it hits the wall of horny

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

now i want a comic where frieren tells Aura to "ball out" and it cuts to an And1 montage

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah i know if i looked for fanart of this show i would 100% end up seeing some poo poo i really don't want to see

its a shame

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i been getting a bunch of Frieren and Himmel wedding fanart pop up on my feed

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GateOfD posted:

i been getting a bunch of Frieren and Himmel wedding fanart pop up on my feed

Ah yes old fashioned manga spoilers
Not really tho

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

pls stop posting about winkwinknudge fanart of the very good fantasy anime ty

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Listen its a *Fantasy* story, we want our *Fantasy* wedding.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i married the series

the whole thing, i just put some formal clothes on it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

i married the series

the whole thing, i just put some formal clothes on it

Bet it looked great when you put on the jacket

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Enjoyed the latest episode a lot. A real return to form after the meh demon arc stuff. I like this show way better when it focuses on chill exploring character stuff rather than "Frieren is demon doom guy" stuff. Hope it continues to lean mostly on the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i don't know that very many people are that into the doom guy aspect of it. like maybe the music choices imply that, but my feelings about those episodes (esp. meeting the elf monk afterwards) is that they show not Frieren having no relationship with humans she spent time with, but rather a long process of working through how she's affected by them that doesn't have any easy fix in the post-elf world (besides taking the time to process everything and then going to heaven). like it's not clear how old she is when she encounters Flamme, but the village stuff seems traumatizing and she doesn't seem to spend too much time with anyone at all after that; that sort of reframes the mindset she has going into the journey with Himmel. you also have to kind of pick at bits of info from the Lugner fight but when you combine it with the Qual bit there's some insight into how she's raising Fern as well

there's a very easy to miss detail back in one of the memories in the early episodes when Frieren mentions maybe being the only one left who remembers Flamme's face: Himmel's mouth opens with a realization as he listens silently in the back. a lot of what he does is funny on the face of it, but putting statues everywhere and wanting to be remembered turns out to be part of a more high minded pattern of behavior at least partly shaped by this. something about his unrequited feelings towards this ageless woman and her sometimes wistful recollection of a legendary historical figure was forged into a memento over the course of ten years, and eighty years later, she's gotten around to looking at it