Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ulvir posted:

in the case of Don Draper, Freddy Rumsen and Duck Philips its very clearly not functional though. I kind of like that the show doesn’t shy away from showing how this culture isn’t without problems. I believe Sterling also makes a comment about his dad struggling with alcoholism as well in a conversation with Don

But for the Freddy situation, I think they mention that "they already think we're like this" - even during the era, advertising had a reputation for drinking more than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love this show and part of that love is due to it never really jumping the shark. I remember my sister was convinced that Meg would end up with the Manson family (or killed by them) because she was wearing a Sharon Tate shirt once.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That was definitely in the air at the time, and I think the costuming was deliberately evoking Manson imagery. Not to imply that everybody was going to get killed by a hippie, probably, but more to further the general sense of dread permeating 1968.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Go find the TVIV thread for it, there were several people there who were also predicting it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sash! posted:

There was a lot more professional drinking between the end of WWII and the early 70s, which was gone by the late 70s.

It held out much longer here in Germany. Some factories still had beer vending machines up until the early nineties. Ffs my university cafeteria still sold beer at lunch time in 2015 lol

From all the stories I hear about those "good old times" everyone was a lot more chill about functioning alcoholism and you only got into trouble if you started flirting with the non-functioning kind or broke/killed/maimed something or someone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

everyone was a lot more chill about functioning alcoholism and you only got into trouble if you started flirting with the non-functioning kind

funny how one tends to lead to the other

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GABA ghoul posted:

It held out much longer here in Germany. Some factories still had beer vending machines up until the early nineties. Ffs my university cafeteria still sold beer at lunch time in 2015 lol

From all the stories I hear about those "good old times" everyone was a lot more chill about functioning alcoholism and you only got into trouble if you started flirting with the non-functioning kind or broke/killed/maimed something or someone.

you could buy beer from vending machines in Germany in 2016 when i was there, it was kind of neat if you were in a mood to drink a fine german lager

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sash! posted:

There was a lot more professional drinking between the end of WWII and the early 70s, which was gone by the late 70s.

I mean, a lot of the push back when the government started campaigning to change the way you could deduct "entertainment" expenses from business lunches and put an end to the "three martini lunch" wasn't people saying "no one drinks that much," it was "no one actually drinks three martinis. They drink other things!"

There was a lot more blue collar work drinking too, but that fell off around the time that professional drinking blew up. WWII and the productivity demands dented it. The town I grew up in once had a huge plant that made railroad cars. Every building on the opposite side of the street was a bar. Plenty of lunch drinking.

Going out for a lunchtime pint on a Friday was a fairly standard thing as recently as the late 90s in the UK, at my first job. It was tacitly understood not much work got done in the afternoon. The US is if anything a bit of an outlier in how much it frowns upon it, though it's becoming much less common here too.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 20, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Throughout my watch of the series, it never stopped being wild to me how they all had liquor cabinets in their offices and would punctuate every character walking in by pouring two glasses of liquor

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

france still has a two hour long lunch where they also drink wine

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
French schoolchildren got wine for lunch until 1956 I believe it was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When the aristocracy takes all your money and wine is safer than water, poo poo gets normalized and becomes cultural pretty quick, I bet.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Just wrapping up season 6 now and Jesus loving CHRIST, I found myself rolling my eyes for most of Don's poo poo for the first 5 seasons, but this season is a whole other level.

This loving guy. I feel like there's a special place in hell waiting for him for all the bullshit he says and pulls in the back half. I have no love for Herb, but the things Don says to Joan about it, just gently caress you very much!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's not even a bad dude

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in the original thread back when it aired, “don, nooo” became a much more frequent phrase during season 6

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don is living proof that a tall, handsome, debonair, athletic and rich man at the top of his field can also be a weird hosed up little guy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Getting to experience Don's full arc gave me a new appreciation for the absolutely amazing "the bubble" 30 Rock storyline Jon Hamm guest starred in. In fiction and IRL, it's incredible what you can get away with if you're charismatic and conventionally handsome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Liz Lemon's description of him as looking like "a cartoon drawing of an airline pilot!" was amazing :allears:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

He's not even a bad dude

season 6 Don is really awful though

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I will say this, his actions don't make me dislike the show. I can think of a lot of other shows where something like that would make me go "why am I still watching this?" but I am still intrigued by everyone else in the show. I guess the difference is that Don's actions do have consequences? Sorta?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

eagerly awaiting your reaction to season 7

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

kalel posted:

eagerly awaiting your reaction to season 7

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Season 7 is...kinda violent. I was super worried for Ken, and :rip: to Michael

So far, it is nice to see Don finally eat some poo poo, but I almost feel it's too little, too late for all the crap he's put people through over the years. But hey, that's life for a rich, white man. You get a dozen or so chances, even if you didn't deserve a third or even fourth.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

his life is a near constant misery, he does not truly absorb any of the accolades or benefits that you think he has, how are you misunderstanding this so hard

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Paper Lion posted:

his life is a near constant misery, he does not truly absorb any of the accolades or benefits that you think he has, how are you misunderstanding this so hard
Dude. Be cool.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're right. Failure to understand art should be pointed out not celebrated.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

Season 7 is...kinda violent. I was super worried for Ken, and :rip: to Michael

So far, it is nice to see Don finally eat some poo poo, but I almost feel it's too little, too late for all the crap he's put people through over the years. But hey, that's life for a rich, white man. You get a dozen or so chances, even if you didn't deserve a third or even fourth.

did you finish the series y/n

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just finished episode...5 of season 7, so still got a decent amount to go.

though as I am also working my way through the thread itself, I also read the wired article that got posted for the season 6 premier. I found myself nodding along with parts in it which made me realise something about my reaction to the show. I'm watching it with 2023 eyes and also coming at it with preconceived ideas about the characters and show that have been influenced from cultural osmosis.

I don't deny that Don doesn't have his issues, I mean holy poo poo does he have a lot of them. But for most of the run time of the show he hasn't, in my eyes, really done anything to actively get better. I mean, I get it, I never said that this was a horrible show and I was going to stop watching it, just that some of his actions get a very visceral reaction from me, something I view as a very good thing when it comes to art. In my own art I always want to get strong emotional responses from my audiences, so I like it when I get that from movies, tv, music, etc.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Don is a miserable cretin but he also lives a life of incredible material comfort, so it’s kind of hard to accept his dissatisfaction as any sort of recompense.

But also, that dissatisfaction is kind of who Don is. He retreats into the romantic narratives of his work (and also occasionally tries to manifest that same romance into the real world) because he will always be unhappy with everything.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I like Bob. At first, I was wondering who he was and where he came from, then I kinda clued in that he's another version of Don with his own history that he wants to keep secret. Then he seemed a little like Sal 2.0, but with less repression?

Again, since I'm not even at the halfway point for season 7, I'm scared he's gonna turn out to have some skeletons and he's gonna turn into a huge rear end in a top hat too :smith: I was already bummed when he proposed to Joan and he revealed that it wasn't because he truly loved her. I totally thought he was sincere

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Bob is an amazing character because he's like a Fire Walk With Me version of Don, all the secrets and most of the charisma but absolutely loving terrible at lying and hilariously transparent. Don is a caricature of how far you can get with conventional good looks and charisma, Bob is a caricature of how far you can get through sheer dogged determination even if you're clearly up to something and full of poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

Dude. Be cool.
Not to be a giant hypocrite, but you can point out what somebody missed in better ways and should reserve that kind of ire for somebody being a dick about a thing *and* not understanding it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I like to think the ending was Don actually achieving some sort of growth. Finding someone perfectly describe what he was going through just feels.. impactful, I guess.

also bc it’s nice to think people do change for the better

e: added spoiler tags i see we caught another new viewer :sickos:

Radia fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

a new study bible! posted:

Don is a miserable cretin but he also lives a life of incredible material comfort

Sorta? At various points, he shifts between being a notch above living in a cardboard box or Oscar the Grouch with indoor patio furniture.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Bob is an amazing character because he's like a Fire Walk With Me version of Don

This is an amazing description, haha.

Bob is somebody I hated at first because he was so ridiculously transparent in his asskissing, but realizing that everybody saw through him and didn't give a poo poo, and realizing how deeply empty a person he was and how even up to his final appearances in the show I had no idea who the real "Bob" actually was really brought me around on him.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

well aces high you're really not going to like the ending. let's just say don has a few choice words when tony soprano asks him to join the Prestige TV Drama Initiative

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sash! posted:

Sorta? At various points, he shifts between being a notch above living in a cardboard box or Oscar the Grouch with indoor patio furniture.

I never really got the impression that Don’s economic status was ever in peril, unless I’m misremembering.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

I never really got the impression that Don’s economic status was ever in peril, unless I’m misremembering.

the closest he get is during his road trip at the end of season seven, but there’s a very high chance that he still has his stocks/bonds and bank accounts filled, so it’s only in the immediate sense, not the real poverty kind of sense anymore

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

I like to think the ending was Don actually achieving some sort of growth. Finding someone perfectly describe what he was going through just feels.. impactful, I guess.

also bc it’s nice to think people do change for the better

e: added spoiler tags i see we caught another new viewer :sickos:

See the reason I loved the ending is that I thought the opposite.

He's on the cusp of learning something, like he's so goddamned close, then at the last second he has a kickass idea for an advertising campaign, and not just any advertising campaign, THE advertising campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Adrianics posted:

See the reason I loved the ending is that I thought the opposite.

He's on the cusp of learning something, like he's so goddamned close, then at the last second he has a kickass idea for an advertising campaign, and not just any advertising campaign, THE advertising campaign

Ad making is Don's artistic outlet. Making the ad shows the opposite of your take, it shows he gets it.