Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tarezax posted:

tl;dr you were right to push that character off a cliff

Yeah, BG3 has fantasy racism but is also very clear that the fantasy racists are dickheads rather than correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like to portray goblins as crust punks

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tarezax posted:

I let that play out and the resolution of that quest is so infuriating (in a good? way) : The guys who take the githyanki kid magically age him up and teach him an incredibly strict moral code, one that they themselves didn't live up to. Between that and psychological and physical abuse, the kid snaps and kills them all. You encounter him in the basement of their building in Act 3 and can convince him to stand down by appealing to his actual moral center separate from the BS he was taught.

The infuriating part is that if you talk to the corpse of the guy in charge of teaching the kid, he'll gloat and say this is proof that githyanki are inherently evil. No bitch, you're just racist.

tl;dr you were right to push that character off a cliff

The secret worst part of that quest is that you can't hatch that egg, and the owlbear egg, and get yourself more friends for your camp.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/famedtrust/status/1728789529245499753?s=46

lads is it promoting a cult to be polite

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"this is a cult of gender ideology!" says newspaper that writes about gender 10 times a week.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Wait, are they saying the character Rose is trans just because she's played by a trans woman? Is that what this is all about, it's just TERFs screaming and pissing themselves because a trans woman is on the telly?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wait, are they saying the character Rose is trans just because she's played by a trans woman?
the character is also trans and that is plot-relevant, from what I've read

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is that what this is all about, it's just TERFs screaming and pissing themselves because a trans woman is on the telly?
what else would it be? That's what those people do

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wait, are they saying the character Rose is trans just because she's played by a trans woman? Is that what this is all about, it's just TERFs screaming and pissing themselves because a trans woman is on the telly?

The character is also trans, but uh, yeah. It is of course just "a trans person? EXISTING??" as per usual

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"this is a cult of gender ideology!" says newspaper that writes about gender 10 times a week.

I gotta say, that article is actually... sort of decent? It'd be nice if they just didn't include the bullshit from the hate group, but it features a nice bit about the actress and her career (and also spoils the whole episode lol)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

InediblePenguin posted:

the character is also trans and that is plot-relevant, from what I've read

It's not 'plot-relevant' in that the story literally requires a trans character to function, but it is a huge part of the character's treatment. There's a wonderful scene where her grandmother accidentally misgenders her and her mother corrects her and talks it out with her in a really natural way, I love it.

The moment that article mentions, by the way, is when the Doctor off-handedly calls the alien of the week a 'he', is corrected with basically 'you don't know their pronouns', and he completely agrees with that and asks properly. Takes up, like, four seconds of screen time.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I saw a set of gifs on Tumblr that had, like, the Doctor and Donna taking about how they are binary, one male one female, and somebody else is not and that's important to saving the day, and the framing implied they were talking about that trans character, so absolute lol if that's nonsense and the gifset was intentionally misleading haha

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

InediblePenguin posted:

I saw a set of gifs on Tumblr that had, like, the Doctor and Donna taking about how they are binary, one male one female, and somebody else is not and that's important to saving the day, and the framing implied they were talking about that trans character, so absolute lol if that's nonsense and the gifset was intentionally misleading haha

I mean, that scene exists, but it's basically bigging up the fact that the person saving the day happens to be trans rather than 'the day is saved because of their transness'.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/mysteriouskat/status/1728855745817698715?t=F5aMetVANWjwUhxAQywQXQ&s=19

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Gee, I wonder what difference there could be between various minority groups and a Whites-only meeting. If only there was some significant difference in the historical and current treatment... Nah, gotta be woke people gone mad and also segregation is good now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cloacamazing! posted:

Gee, I wonder what difference there could be between various minority groups and a Whites-only meeting. If only there was some significant difference in the historical and current treatment... Nah, gotta be woke people gone mad and also segregation is good now.

Context is woke.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Nuebot posted:

Most fantasy media, and especially stuff that came out more than like twenty years ago, is pretty racist tbh. D&D in particular is steeped in it because it was created by a guy who was pretty proud of his lovely racist ideas, and the ones he cribbed off of the racist fantasy he liked to read. And a lot of that poo poo hasn't really gone away either, people just tend to only really bring it up when they're mad it's being thrown in the trash. Like, people don't talk all that much about how pretty much every one of the horde races in Warcraft are just various non-white cultural stereotypes painted in neon colours, and even before blizzard was super well known for being a trash fire of a company any attempt to discuss it would usually just be met by people shrugging their shoulders and not caring. Until any of the jokes or content was touched up or toned down in any way. Then people would be real mad about it.
One of the things that you don't ever really think about as a kid playing D&D or other fantasy games is that there's almost always this real fundamental baked in thing where entire races of creatures in the game are violent raiders and slavers and murderers and that's just how it is and you're never assumed to ask any questions about it.

'Goblin raiders are attacking settlements near the Whitepeak Mountains!' If the settlements were being attacked by (non-Dark) Elves or Dwarves or something the adventure would be 'Why is this happening? Let's figure out what's going on.' but because the people doing the attacking are Goblins the solution is 'go out to the mountains, find the goblin cave lair and murder everything inside'. In D&D, especially older editions, the kind of hilarious thing was that there were literally entire races of bad guy monsters you could battle all the way up the level ladder; you start out clearing Kobold warrens but move on to Goblin slums, Hobgoblin villages, Orc warbands, Bugbear hordes and so on and so on.

I was one of the kids who played D&D and it was just the way things were and you were never asked to think about it and, at least back in the 90s and early 2000s, even the published game worlds and settings just rolled with it. It wasn't until I was like a grown up adult, sadly, that my brain finally went 'Wait if they have like blacksmiths and leatherworkers and animal trainers and wheelwrights and everything then they're just like... people. All the orcs and goblins and giants and stuff are just different kinds of people and my characters have spent the last decade plus going to their homes kicking in the doors and murdering everybody'.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Human raiders are attacking our settlements in the Whitepeak Mountains! We must find their lair and destroy them all

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

turns out orcs and goblins aren't real

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

Whoa, that's racist

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Data Graham posted:

Human raiders are attacking our settlements in the Whitepeak Mountains! We must find their lair and destroy them all

Hey buddy, if you didn't want to get manifest destinied maybe you should have called them the Gnollpeak Mountains

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NorgLyle posted:

One of the things that you don't ever really think about as a kid playing D&D or other fantasy games is that there's almost always this real fundamental baked in thing where entire races of creatures in the game are violent raiders and slavers and murderers and that's just how it is and you're never assumed to ask any questions about it.

'Goblin raiders are attacking settlements near the Whitepeak Mountains!' If the settlements were being attacked by (non-Dark) Elves or Dwarves or something the adventure would be 'Why is this happening? Let's figure out what's going on.' but because the people doing the attacking are Goblins the solution is 'go out to the mountains, find the goblin cave lair and murder everything inside'. In D&D, especially older editions, the kind of hilarious thing was that there were literally entire races of bad guy monsters you could battle all the way up the level ladder; you start out clearing Kobold warrens but move on to Goblin slums, Hobgoblin villages, Orc warbands, Bugbear hordes and so on and so on.

I was one of the kids who played D&D and it was just the way things were and you were never asked to think about it and, at least back in the 90s and early 2000s, even the published game worlds and settings just rolled with it. It wasn't until I was like a grown up adult, sadly, that my brain finally went 'Wait if they have like blacksmiths and leatherworkers and animal trainers and wheelwrights and everything then they're just like... people. All the orcs and goblins and giants and stuff are just different kinds of people and my characters have spent the last decade plus going to their homes kicking in the doors and murdering everybody'.
I always forget the name of it but there was an RPG, uh, framing narrative? Online in the early 2000s that was something like:
Start the session by handing out character sheets.
Run the module, take notes
End the session by taking out their "real" character sheets, which are their arrest warrants. Describe the session that just occurred in terms of what "really" happened - them breaking into a block of flats with a primarily minority population.

Cringe and edgy grimdark as hell in retrospect, but for the time it was making a genuine point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NorgLyle posted:

I was one of the kids who played D&D and it was just the way things were and you were never asked to think about it and, at least back in the 90s and early 2000s, even the published game worlds and settings just rolled with it.

Same with stuff like taking prisoners - there's generally no provision for what happens if, instead of killing them, you subdue and capture the raiders. Most published adventures (and GMs) simply assume you will kill them and move on to the next lot. Even though there are explicit rules in D&D for non-lethally subduing enemies and plenty of spells that can be used to the same end, not to mention any other creative options players may come up with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

Same with stuff like taking prisoners - there's generally no provision for what happens if, instead of killing them, you subdue and capture the raiders. Most published adventures (and GMs) simply assume you will kill them and move on to the next lot. Even though there are explicit rules in D&D for non-lethally subduing enemies and plenty of spells that can be used to the same end, not to mention any other creative options players may come up with.
It's a pretty good metric of GM quality if they respond to "we let the ones who surrendered go" leads to you constantly getting hosed over by released prisoners rushing to warn everyone else about you coming, or your party gaining a rep for keeping their word so you get a lot of "oh I've heard of these guys, yeah no it sucks about Greg but the rest of us can and should just walk away from this"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
props to BG3 for making nonlethal such an easy option, boos for essentially hiding it in the icon chaos

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The same is true in video games though. And I don't think anyone is getting mad at themselves because they beat a level in Double Dragon.

It's ok and healthy to separate fantasy from reality and engage with them differently.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Splicer posted:

I always forget the name of it but there was an RPG, uh, framing narrative? Online in the early 2000s that was something like:
Start the session by handing out character sheets.
Run the module, take notes
End the session by taking out their "real" character sheets, which are their arrest warrants. Describe the session that just occurred in terms of what "really" happened - them breaking into a block of flats with a primarily minority population.

Cringe and edgy grimdark as hell in retrospect, but for the time it was making a genuine point.

Greg Costikyan's Violence: http://www.costik.com/Violence%20RPG1.pdf

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

props to BG3 for making nonlethal such an easy option, boos for essentially hiding it in the icon chaos

Also it doesn't loving work. I non-lethally subdued the two brothers who were trying to rescue their sister from the hag and for the rest of that side quest the characters spoke and acted as though they were dead. I non-lethally subdued some of the goblins who were attacking the grove, but the one goblin prisoner inside was treated as the sole example of a goblin taken alive, and the ones I subdued never showed up again anywhere. It may flag them as "unconscious" rather than dead when you hover your mouse on them, but for all intents and purposes they're dead. It's a broken feature that was not properly implemented.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

While Violence is a classic, they're thinking about Powerkill.

https://johntynes.com/revland2000/rl_powerkill.html

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Fighting Trousers posted:

You can literally still play 1st edition D&D and no one will come to your house and stop you.

There's definitely a group of nerds who seem to believe that they "have" to update to the latest version of DnD, as if Mike Merles and Monte Cook are going to kick down your door, burn your 3rd ed books in front of you, and call you a bitch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

now that's what i call content creation

https://twitter.com/musamanzz/status/1728755318191186165

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lmao I thought he was doing a joke

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hawowanlawow posted:

Yes they are and they are called the British

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lmao I thought he was doing a joke

along similar lines i thought this thread was going to be a sort of expose on black hat SEO methods but then it dawned on me that he just sees nothing wrong with doing this

https://twitter.com/jakezward/status/1728032639402037610

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Wow I love searching for a thing and finding some lovely ai generated knock off thanks to our brave and brilliant disruptors 3.6 million times

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
3.6 Million lashes, imo.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I don't tiktok. Can someone explain what his viewers are watching? A video with a YouTuber on top and an unrelated game on the bottom, with subtitles?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

jjack229 posted:

I don't tiktok. Can someone explain what his viewers are watching? A video with a YouTuber on top and an unrelated game on the bottom, with subtitles?

Yes. That's exactly it. Those kinds of videos infest every platform right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jjack229 posted:

it's a mixture of tiktok videos being vertical but the content he's stealing being horizontal so he needs to fill the space, and tiktok users apparently gravitating towards overstimulating content with multiple things going on at once

at its most extreme there's like 3 unrelated videos playing at once, while a text to speech voice reads a 4th unrelated thing copy pasted from reddit or whatever

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

repiv posted:

it's a mixture of tiktok videos being vertical but the content he's stealing being horizontal so he needs to fill the space, and tiktok users apparently gravitating towards overstimulating content with multiple things going on at once

at its most extreme there's like 3 unrelated videos playing at once, while a text to speech voice reads a 4th unrelated thing copy pasted from reddit or whatever

I think it's also a thing to fool the copyright filters? That's what I've heard at least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would have thought those kinds of remix-other-people's-content sort of videos were just made by bots.

Guy is bragging about doing this tiny amount of work for his $1200, he could make a bot and do it for zero effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh he has a solution for that, if copy pasting other peoples videos yourself is too much work

https://twitter.com/musamanzz/status/1713965722760823191