Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah this is an autist move I'm just gonna make a digipack CD hahahahahahhahahahhuihahhsahhaha

I'd also go with Heath's suggestion of just burning your own mix CD and print your own cover art for the jewel case. Imho getting a professional pressing in either format isn't gaining you anything over having a digital playlist of odd Beatles cuts. But you do you, I'm just an internet stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This seems legit

Anyway just go acquire a bunch of of cheap or free records, paint the covers, make a bunch of prints of an old photo you shot in 2010, design a back cover, print that, paste those on, buy some CD-Rs and sleeves, create an ad-hoc drying rack, and mail them unsolicited to various people like a normal-brained person

Edit: Early on i briefly looked into the idea of getting mike dixon to do a run of lathe cuts but besides being prohibitively expensive and the AQ being... well, a lathe cut, it would only be mono, as stereo lathe cutting is possible but exponentially more difficult.

There's no way this outfit is gonna take tracks they do not have the licensing for and make a lacquer and a mother and a stamper and press loving discs and also do it in a couple weeks and for $55. It's a scam i do not like to have to say it but please. I wish it could be true but even if all that was true... they're mastering from wildly-sub-par source material

Edit 2: Reading the FAQ, they are making lathe cuts, and while this would be a neat idea for your own music, I am pretty sure it would be insanely illegal to use other music and I get real fly-by-night vibes from them, cashing in on the holiday season.

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 27, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

This seems legit

Anyway just go acquire a bunch of of cheap or free records, paint the covers, make a bunch of prints of an old photo you shot in 2010, design a back cover, print that, paste those on, buy some CD-Rs and sleeves, create an ad-hoc drying rack, and mail them unsolicited to various people like a normal-brained person

Edit: Early on i briefly looked into the idea of getting mike dixon to do a run of lathe cuts but besides being prohibitively expensive and the AQ being... well, a lathe cut, it would only be mono, as stereo lathe cutting is possible but exponentially more difficult.

There's no way this outfit is gonna take tracks they do not have the licensing for and make a lacquer and a mother and a stamper and press loving discs and also do it in a couple weeks and for $55. It's a scam i do not like to have to say it but please. I wish it could be true but even if all that was true... they're mastering from wildly-sub-par source material

Edit 2: Reading the FAQ, they are making lathe cuts, and while this would be a neat idea for your own music, I am pretty sure it would be insanely illegal to use other music and I get real fly-by-night vibes from them, cashing in on the holiday season.

I just had some lathe cut records made and the turnaround time was 2 days. $90 for six records. The sound quality is not great and there are some bad skips so I won't link the guy who did it. But yeah. Most places I looked at won't touch music you don't own.

pwn
May 27, 2004

HE RETURNS :cawg:

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ltd-Numbered-Garth-Brooks/dp/B07VLJ7C96?ref=dlx_cyber_dg_dcl_B07VLJ7C96_mw_sl6_72

Also who needs this, it's a great album but it's just an album, why the gently caress does this exist.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

Also who needs this, it's a great album but it's just an album, why the gently caress does this exist.

Boomers trying to relive their youth, one $200 Who album at a time

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Inflation is really bad if that’s going for $30.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Inflation is really bad if that’s going for $30.

Yeah wasn't it $30 for all three sets. Haha. I still have 2.

Oh yeah. I mentioned getting a lathe cut record made so here it is.

So I have been participating in the Awful Xmas Music thread for the last few years and decided to get all my tracks put on a record. I'm gonna give it out to a few friends as a xmas card. It sounds kinda poo poo and there are some heavy skips so it is more of an "art" object than a practical record.

Here is what it sounds like (skip and all) for those that are curious.

https://on.soundcloud.com/M9Rtj

Anyway, the guy who did it had it done in one day and I don't think he actually checked anything because the huge skips happen in the same spots on all copies. Kinda sucks because you physically have to move the stylus to get past, but oh well. I might do another press through a more reputable place next year.

Here is my Christmas Album
https://totallymawesome.bandcamp.com/album/for-christmas

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

So I have been participating in the Awful Xmas Music thread for the last few years and decided to get all my tracks put on a record. I'm gonna give it out to a few friends as a xmas card. It sounds kinda poo poo and there are some heavy skips so it is more of an "art" object than a practical record.

Anyway, the guy who did it had it done in one day and I don't think he actually checked anything because the huge skips happen in the same spots on all copies. Kinda sucks because you physically have to move the stylus to get past, but oh well. I might do another press through a more reputable place next year.

That's cool as hell. Get you a friend who makes you a record for Christmas.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sporklift posted:

That's pretty neat!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Super cool! But what's the source of the back art? My current guess is I am being tricked by AI art...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Super cool! But what's the source of the back art? My current guess is I am being tricked by AI art...

Yeah. Unfortunately I am not an artist. So both covers are ai. The top is my country crooner alter ego Just Beans. And the back represents the 'cyber Santa' narrative of the second side. I wanted it to be more Rankin/Bass look but I guess my prompts weren't good enough so I settled on animation still from the 80's classic Cyber Santa and the Robo Reindeer. (not a real cartoon)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Unfortunately I am not an artist. So both covers are ai. The top is my country crooner alter ego Just Beans. And the back represents the 'cyber Santa' narrative of the second side. I wanted it to be more Rankin/Bass look but I guess my prompts weren't good enough so I settled on animation still from the 80's classic Cyber Santa and the Robo Reindeer. (not a real cartoon)

I am partial to old rear end anime, and it really reminds me of old 80s robot shows, like Macross or whatever Gundam what happening at that time. I was seriously questioning if there was an obscure mech series that had a really goofy sideways Christmas episode.

Just listened to the album, really encapsulates the spirit of the the season (and I assume the thread too, lol). Probably should also dig out the ol' Dr. Demento Christmas CD this year in solidarity.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I shall spin Milk & Cookies on my Christmas show in a couple weeks.

Needed some schizo Xmas poo poo.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

I am partial to old rear end anime, and it really reminds me of old 80s robot shows, like Macross or whatever Gundam what happening at that time. I was seriously questioning if there was an obscure mech series that had a really goofy sideways Christmas episode.

Just listened to the album, really encapsulates the spirit of the the season (and I assume the thread too, lol). Probably should also dig out the ol' Dr. Demento Christmas CD this year in solidarity.

AI be like

Thanks for the listen. Check out the Awful Xmas thread. Some great unhinged poo poo throughout the years.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I shall spin Milk & Cookies on my Christmas show in a couple weeks.

Needed some schizo Xmas poo poo.

Oh man. Haha thank you. Check out the goon creations in the Awful Xmas thread for more hi jinks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046379

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

He actually released a new album recently which is exclusively sold at Bass Pro shops. I know that sounds like a Hard Times parody article but I assure you it is true. What's bizarre is that there's really no mention of it anywhere online, and no other way to hear it right now, in fact it isn't even listed on Discogs or RYM yet even though it's been out a month already. I mean okay maybe Garth's star ain't what it once was but he's still the #2 selling artist of all time in the USA and I'm pretty sure he could still sell out any venue that he wants to. So of course now I'm fascinated with this album, which I will probably never hear.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think he’s just going to keep releasing albums where you don’t expect them to be. You’ll be at the optometrist’s office, and they’ll have a stack of the new Garth Brooks album.

pwn
May 27, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

He actually released a new album recently which is exclusively sold at Bass Pro shops. I know that sounds like a Hard Times parody article but I assure you it is true. What's bizarre is that there's really no mention of it anywhere online, and no other way to hear it right now, in fact it isn't even listed on Discogs or RYM yet even though it's been out a month already. I mean okay maybe Garth's star ain't what it once was but he's still the #2 selling artist of all time in the USA and I'm pretty sure he could still sell out any venue that he wants to. So of course now I'm fascinated with this album, which I will probably never hear.

It's his third Limited Series box set CD, which has a bunch of his old stuff. I saw him promoting it on The Kelly Clarkson Show last week. Which I recorded.

...what?

Edit: 4:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIpu7W-_Q0

Haha his new album, Time Traveler (3:30), is PART OF THE BOX SET, a fact which was NOT made clear in the show. Lol, lmao,

You can buy it here if you'd rather not risk setting foot in a Bass Pro Shop. It costs 1 Garth Brooks Vinyls Box Set

Edit 2: god help me, I might actually get this goddamned thing; it has all his new albums that I never heard and it's one low price and what̴ ̷i̷s̷ ̴h̵a̷p̷p̵e̴̺͚͙̽̎n̵̗̈̌i̷̜̋͊n̷͔̓g̸̳̩̑͝ ̸̫̭̈t̵̪̼̃͘͜ơ̷̧͙̞̖͊͑͌͗͑͜ͅ ̷͇̫̹̪̙̞̐m̴̳̿̈́͆͋̉͂ȅ̴͓̼͖̀̽́

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 28, 2023

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Garth Brooks laughing Garth Brooks laughing Ha Ha Ha Ha He

SA Xmas is just prolific enough that my non-goon friends sometimes send me Bandcamp links to the tracks.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
thank you, I could watch videos of Garth all day. anyone who sells as many records as he did inevitably becomes an eccentric weirdo but few have in such a loveable way

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

thank you, I could watch videos of Garth all day. anyone who sells as many records as he did inevitably becomes an eccentric weirdo but few have in such a loveable way

Where are the bodies Garth?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

sporklift posted:

Where are the bodies Garth?

That's a secret only Chris Gaines knows.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Garth Brooks laughing Garth Brooks laughing Ha Ha Ha Ha He

SA Xmas is just prolific enough that my non-goon friends sometimes send me Bandcamp links to the tracks.

Please pass it on to the goons in here who aren't hep. I wanna hear the garth is coming to town song.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

pwn posted:

Please pass it on to the goons in here who aren't hep. I wanna hear the garth is coming to town song.

2009-2015 but I don't know if there is actually a Garth-specific song.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

code:
Home > Home & Gifts > Novelties > Garth Brooks The Limited Series 7-Disc Box Set

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

code:
Home > Home & Gifts > Novelties > Garth Brooks The Limited Series 7-Disc Box Set

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I want to lol, but I'm more flummoxed that there's a chud still hanging on to that non issue.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I want to lol, but I'm more flummoxed that there's a chud still hanging on to that non issue.
Non-issues are all they hold onto. It's like their own gibberish language.

Garth is not a chud, so is an apostate.

BTW, I generally like country and Garth Brooks, and a year later still haven't listened to the full box set. It's too much garth.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Everybody got their Peter Gabriel i/o pre-orders in?
And which mix? The answer is both of course.

That's how you do a release, Peter

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, i forgot

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everybody got their Peter Gabriel i/o pre-orders in?
And which mix? The answer is both of course.

That's how you do a release, Peter

Dark-Side mix baby!

[No offence to anyone who likes the Bright-Side version, I just think it sounds like a Macy's dressing room]

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
OH gently caress OFF BREXIT

EDIT: Actually you can circumvent the overseas shipping at Rough Trade: https://www.roughtrade.com/en-us/product/peter-gabriel/io-9#vinyl-lp-black-x2-1

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 30, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Dark-Side mix baby!

[No offence to anyone who likes the Bright-Side version, I just think it sounds like a Macy's dressing room]

Dark side is better all the way... with the exception of "Road to Joy" for me
I love the Golden Years/Fame guitar sound in the bright side mix

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress. Do you guys bother to fight for a return when a brand new record is slightly scratched? It plays but there are pops in a couple of songs.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress. Do you guys bother to fight for a return when a brand new record is slightly scratched? It plays but there are pops in a couple of songs.

Yes because it shouldn't come out of the shrinkwrap loving scratched.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yes because it shouldn't come out of the shrinkwrap loving scratched.

I did wind up putting in for a replacement, just extra mad because this is the second return type thing I'm gonna have to fight for in as many weeks. I took pics so hopefully they won't ask for a video of the record playing, my set up isn't conducive to hearing the audio while in front of the turn table.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Are you able to sell loose 45s? I'm not really a vinyl person and I've had my dad's collection since he passed 20 years ago. I'm moving now and want to get rid of it but local shops aren't interested. Is it just something I should toss?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Are you able to sell loose 45s? I'm not really a vinyl person and I've had my dad's collection since he passed 20 years ago. I'm moving now and want to get rid of it but local shops aren't interested. Is it just something I should toss?

Depends on what they are?

You can just donate them to a thrift store.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

sporklift posted:

Depends on what they are?

You can just donate them to a thrift store.

Mostly old Motown stuff.

That's a good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Mostly old Motown stuff.

That's a good idea!

Motown? So by loose do you mean no sleeves? What kinda condition are they in and how many you got? I might be interested.