Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

shyduck posted:

We all knew he was cooked but to only make it 11 games with a team is something extra special

I had to look it up, but some guy named Pete McCulley got canned after only 9 games with the 49ers back in 1978. Even Lou Holtz lasted 13 games with the Jets (although he resigned).

edit: George Allen got fired after 2 preseason games with the Rams lmao

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Urban Meyer lasted 13 games

Lol

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

starting to think maybe frank reich was a bad hire from the jump

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

syzpid posted:

I don't think Reich gets fired before the end of the season. But it would be amazing to go like 30 years without a first year coach being fired midseason and then go 3 years in a row with one getting fired.

Who was the third? Reich, Urbs, and?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

Who was the third? Reich, Urbs, and?

hackett

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hurray? I guess?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Chris James 2 posted:

Urban Meyer lasted 13 games

Oh Frank…

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

haljordan posted:

I had to look it up, but some guy named Pete McCulley got canned after only 9 games with the 49ers back in 1978.
For those curious like me, in the following offseason they hired a guy named Bill Walsh

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 27, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1729152221361918196

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Man how could I forget

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
lol.

On a more serious note hopefully this ends the myth of frank Reich being an offensive genius that the podcasters have been clinging to

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Why Tabor over Caldwell? Does Jim just not want to be an HC ever again?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Finally Bryce will be allowed to grow 5 more inches.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Wonder who that "some in the building" was!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reich will go to a rehab OC job, look great for a few years, then get another shot.

He was terrible and flailed, but come on, he got handed a lemon and an awfully built roster. Who would survive with that offensive cast?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

From Frank Reich to Jim Caldwell, the reverse Coltsing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Finally Bryce will be allowed to grow 5 more inches.

Or learn to read a defense.

Kalli posted:

Reich will go to a rehab OC job, look great for a few years, then get another shot.

He was terrible and flailed, but come on, he got handed a lemon and an awfully built roster. Who would survive with that offensive cast?

He needs to take a year or two off. Dude is burned the gently caress out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Probably Magic posted:

Why Tabor over Caldwell? Does Jim just not want to be an HC ever again?

He might be ready to wrap it up soon. Dude's 68 and has barely coached since leaving the Lions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I figured this was going to (deservedly) be a big year

Week 12 not yet over and already 2 HCs, a GM, 3 OCs and 2 DCs fired

Gonna be a bloodbath year, even more than expected :sickos:

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Do Staley next!

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1728951225000001976?s=20

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bismack Billabongo posted:

lol.

On a more serious note hopefully this ends the myth of frank Reich being an offensive genius that the podcasters have been clinging to
He received more credit than perhaps he deserved for SB52 and the 2017 season as a whole in Philly. When he took the Colts job and the Eagles fell apart his departure was seen as a big reason. This was before the issues with Wentz were more well known

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 27, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

haljordan posted:

I had to look it up, but some guy named Pete McCulley got canned after only 9 games with the 49ers back in 1978. Even Lou Holtz lasted 13 games with the Jets (although he resigned).

edit: George Allen got fired after 2 preseason games with the Rams lmao

shyduck posted:

For those curious like me, in the following offseason they hired a guy named Bill Walsh

McCulley was the 49ers third coach fired in less than 3 years, because Eddie DeBartolo was crazy at that point. Walsh was nearly one and done too but someone finally convinced DeBartolo to have a little patience, which worked out.

Allen’s second stint with the Rams in the late 70s ending two games into the preseason was hilarious for other reasons. Short version, it was a different owner than the one who fired him from his first stint years prior, and he then tried to fire popular coaches and had the players in open revolt.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

lol.

There'll be a ton of excuses - some of them justified - about Tepper interfering, but yeah, kinda hard to keep that narrative going now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He recognizes his gameplans aren't working and tries something new. Not his fault the league isn't ready for it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1729154350453534973

Tepper is definitely one of those rear end in a top hat bosses who randomly fires people to "send a message" and refuses to admit he's the problem

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I understand that Reich wasn't gonna work in Carolina at this point but I really don't think he was the root of their problems and I really don't think firing him is gonna fix any of their problems. If nothing else, him not lasting as long as Urban Meyer is absurd.

How many coaches has Carolina fired in the last few years now?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

He needs to take a year or two off. Dude is burned the gently caress out.

Yeah, probably. But still pisses me off a bit. Dude got canned playing with someone else's roster with no talent on it, and they don't have their 1st next year, so can't even pretend to fix it with MHJ / a LT.

Should've kept Reich, given him the offseason to see if he can build an offense out of the bargain bin in free agency and then fired him in October if he still stunk.

Just put themselves in a terrible situation to get a good HC this offseason, Ben Johnson ain't taking that loving job.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kalli posted:

Just put themselves in a terrible situation to get a good HC this offseason, Ben Johnson ain't taking that loving job.

Noooooo shot. Turning that job down to stay in Detroit looks like the move of a lifetime for Ben right now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tepper is gonna go after Bill Belichick

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

shyduck posted:

Tepper is gonna go after Bill Belichick

They'll murder each other by Week 4.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wow, for once there’s a worse destination than the Bears

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Didn't Reich want to draft Stroud too?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

haljordan posted:

They'll murder each other by Week 4.
It's win-win

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Harlock posted:

Didn't Reich want to draft Stroud too?

I don't think it was ever confirmed but I definitely remember hearing around the draft that ownership and coaching differed on Stroud vs. Young and, well.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Tabor is such a nobody that he doesn't have a page on PFR at the moment.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Reich had to go but he wasn't the only problem

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel bad for Reich since he's a good dude. But he really should have taken time off after the Colts fired him or gotten an OC job. It doesn't look like he learned anything from his Colts firing.

He also didn't get any help from that GM in Carolina. Just a mess all around. Reich deserves some blame but there's plenty to go around.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Didn't seem like Reich had any confidence in Young at all and well can't really blame him but probably can't keep a HC like that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reich wasn't good and absolutely deserved to be gone, but not even making it past urban Meyer? Like drat, it wasn't like the Panthers had any worldbeater talent anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Reich had to go but he wasn't the only problem

Fitterer and Tepper also need to go, but best of luck with that last one

Said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again: wild that they got rid of their awful owner, and wound up with a worse one performance-wise/meddling-wise. That kind of move is rare