Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Top G posted:

It’s because of stuff like this:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488677-democrats-balk-at-1200-rebate-checks-in-stimulus-plan/

Even if Chuck Schumer is right about the need for ongoing support, that’s a terrible response compared to the big doofus who just cuts you a check and calls it a day

worst_person_you_know.jpg

Even after that, for the second round of checks you get headlines and stories like these:

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/27/950133658/trump-signs-covid-19-relief-package-after-threatening-to-derail-it

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-idUSKBN2920I0/

So it’s no wonder that Trump gets credit for sending us Big, Beautiful, TrumpBucks. Meanwhile Joe Biden looks us in the eyes and lies about sending us money:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbr...sh=1a833dde744d

(Note the Trump “W” in the last line ;))

Weird you cut off the next paragraph. Almost like once again this is dishonest framing.

quote:

That's despite the fact that it was members of Trump's own party who had rejected proposals for higher payments during negotiations. Senate Republicans blocked a bipartisan effort to include $1,200 direct payments in the relief deal.

Trump at no point pushed Republicans to stop blocking things. He let them whittle it and fight the Democrats who were trying to give more money and pretended at the end that he wanted more but his hands were tied.

Had a Democrat done that we'd never hear the end of it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tnega posted:

I do not mean this as a "DEMS BAD" kind of post, but what is Biden's story going in to 2024 [...]

I'm a little confused what you mean by "Biden's story". Based on your post, it sounds like you're asking about his accomplishments?

If so, there are way too many to go over in a single post and have already been posted lots of time throughout the entirety of this thread. I suggest either going back and reading them or reading news articles/White House press releases.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 27, 2023

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

I'm a little confused what you mean by "Biden's story". Based on your post, it sounds like you're asking about his accomplishments?

If so, it's way too many to go over in a single post and have already been posted lots of time throughout the entirety of this thread. I suggest either going back and reading them or reading news articles/White House press releases.

I meant "Biden's Story" as more of his election pitch. His own website has it as Republicans are a threat to democracy, which is a pitch Ive heard for... the last 20 or so years? (Yes, it is very true this time with Project 2025) And protecting individual rights and liberties. Which individual rights and liberties? Doesn't give specifics, outside of vague voting ones. Compare this to the, now five months old Trump Ad where his pitch is "Democrats are coming after me personally!" and "I overturned Roe V. Wade". The first is quite true on account of a literal insurrection, and the second was more McConnell, but only one of these ads has a specific "I did this, this is why you should vote for me, and not just against their opponent.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tnega posted:

I meant "Biden's Story" as more of his election pitch. His own website has it as Republicans are a threat to democracy, which is a pitch Ive heard for... the last 20 or so years? (Yes, it is very true this time with Project 2025) And protecting individual rights and liberties. Which individual rights and liberties? Doesn't give specifics, outside of vague voting ones. Compare this to the, now five months old Trump Ad where his pitch is "Democrats are coming after me personally!" and "I overturned Roe V. Wade". The first is quite true on account of a literal insurrection, and the second was more McConnell, but only one of these ads has a specific "I did this, this is why you should vote for me, and not just against their opponent.

After watching the video on his re-election website, I actually like it. Thanks for talking about it and getting me curious enough to check it out!

And if you think protecting individual rights and liberties is vague, especially if you've been paying attention to Biden's accomplishments in office, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like he has an election pitch, you just don't like it.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 27, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tnega posted:

I do not mean this as a "DEMS BAD" kind of post, but what is Biden's story going in to 2024. Many of the unions got their sick pay eventually, but my broke-brain remembers him breaking the strike instead.
Voters' brains are profoundly broken, but not necessarily in the same way yours is, and I do not think Biden needs to be worried about being seen as a pro-union president. He will have people like Shawn Fain campaigning on his behalf, and unions will be spending big for Democrats. Maybe TikTok hasn't caught on to the fact that Biden is incredibly pro-union, but the unions have.

Tnega posted:

The American rescue plan was brought up, but it was two years ago, and just mentioning it reminds me of the math that says $1400 is not, in fact $2000.
This is not going to be a deciding factor in the 2024 election. Bringing it up almost feels like parody at this point.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tnega posted:

I do not mean this as a "DEMS BAD" kind of post, but what is Biden's story going in to 2024. Many of the unions got their sick pay eventually, but my broke-brain remembers him breaking the strike instead. The American rescue plan was brought up, but it was two years ago, and just mentioning it reminds me of the math that says $1400 is not, in fact $2000. Abortion is a big issue, and while there isn't much The President can do about it, it is another tick in the L column in my book. There's also the whole Israel thing, but I accept AIPAC won long ago on that one. So, all these and more paint a picture of a president flailing and failing. Yes, Trump is obviously not good, and his presidency is in fact responsible for the issues above, but if your issue is that someone took a crap on the floor, and the person with the shovel explicitly with the mandate of cleaning it up doesn't appear to be doing that, well, who is your immediate ire going to be directed towards?

This kind of feels like it boils down to "How is Biden going to convince people who aren't paying attention to vote for him?" and I'm not sure if that is a solvable problem. You kind of have to pay attention to know what's going on.

e: if abortion is a tick in the L column for you, why would you consider not voting D in the general election? Is there any scenario where that makes sense?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bodyholes posted:

In fairness for millennials... it wasn't in reach before that anyway. Add it to the pile.

A majority of Millennials are homeowners and they finally cracked the 50% mark in 2022.

It's not that no Millennials own homes, it's just that they own them at a lower rate than Gen X/Boomers/Silents.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/res...0List%20(2023).

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

This kind of feels like it boils down to "How is Biden going to convince people who aren't paying attention to vote for him?" and I'm not sure if that is a solvable problem. You kind of have to pay attention to know what's going on.
I think it is solvable. I think it's "already" solved, we just have to wait a few months. People are going to pay more attention when there's a massive political campaign that is covered on the news 24 hours a day, and is the only thing people talk about for weeks. People's attention is fractured but they're still going to get a lot more messaging into peoples' heads than they have been.

Like, even setting aside the millions of people directly influenced by campaigns... right now, even a lot of people who like Biden and (theoretically) his policies would tend to say "uhhhh..." if their friend ask them what they liked about him and why they should vote for him. By next October they're going to have a laundry list of talking points to rattle off.

The 2020 campaign was so weird , not just because of the dearth of live campaign events but because it wasn't even the biggest news story of the year! Let's not forget what an omnipresent concern Covid was, even up through the first winter of Biden's presidency. While Trump is weirder than ever, I think the campaign will feel more "normal" when there is more grassroots organizing, more organic offline argument/discussion, more focused news coverage (that isn't cutting away to some bizarre anti-mask protest)... the world feels "abnormal" to people today, for whatever reason, but compared to what seemed like possible futures in 2020, it's actually staggering how back-to-normal things are.

If you think about young voters - those are the ones who understand what Trump being president means the least, because they might have been in children or full time students when he was president the first time. To the extent Trump is capable of representing an abstract "other" to people, they're the most vulnerable, but they're not blind - they're going to see what he is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

But then why does everyone seem to be lacking things, why do things feel as if they are not improving or that things are getting worse. What I'm trying to see is why do things not feel good even though the USA at least is avoiding a recession?

That's the question all the experts are asking. People's feelings about economic conditions have diverged from both their own economic conditions and the overall economic conditions in a fairly unprecedented way.

My personal opinion is that it has a lot to do with how media - and especially social media - have absorbed Biden's initial lack of strong popularity and mixed it with the whirling vortex of endless negativity that social media extends deeply into. For example:

Tnega posted:

I do not mean this as a "DEMS BAD" kind of post, but what is Biden's story going in to 2024. Many of the unions got their sick pay eventually, but my broke-brain remembers him breaking the strike instead. The American rescue plan was brought up, but it was two years ago, and just mentioning it reminds me of the math that says $1400 is not, in fact $2000. Abortion is a big issue, and while there isn't much The President can do about it, it is another tick in the L column in my book. There's also the whole Israel thing, but I accept AIPAC won long ago on that one. So, all these and more paint a picture of a president flailing and failing. Yes, Trump is obviously not good, and his presidency is in fact responsible for the issues above, but if your issue is that someone took a crap on the floor, and the person with the shovel explicitly with the mandate of cleaning it up doesn't appear to be doing that, well, who is your immediate ire going to be directed towards?

Biden has been the most pro-labor president since WWII, both in words (the first president in history to join a picket line!) and in action (Biden's Dept of Labor has actually been quite activist). But leftist Twitter hated him in the first place, and social media tends to generally amplify negativity and hatred while minimizing happy news, so all the good things he did go unnoticed or forgotten. The unions are going to be out and loud for Biden in 2024, but it's anyone's guess whether anyone's going to listen to them when @lib_smasher_69 is pumping out viral tweets about how Joe Biden is the union destroyer.

Biden sent out $1400 checks (bigger than the $1200 checks Trump sent out, and with expanded eligibility allowing more people to get them) over the objections of a united Republican caucus who had prevented their own president from sending out another round of checks, and instead of giving him literally any credit at all for it, you're holding it against him because he originally proposed even larger payments before running into heavy Senate resistance.

You openly admit that there's not much the president can do about abortion, but you're holding it against him anyway? To be frank, that makes absolutely no loving sense. Especially considering that the president got Senate Dems to put an abortion bill on the floor, publicly called for changing the Senate rules to exempt that bill from the filibuster, and convinced 48 out of 50 Senate Dems to agree to do so. Despite having no direct power here, he certainly pushed hard for it anyway!

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You care about these issues. But when it comes to specifics, you only seem to know the stuff that pissed-off leftists on Twitter were passing around angry-tweets about for weeks. You don't remember the stuff that didn't piss people off - and since that stuff didn't piss people off, it only caught Twitter's attention for a day or two tops.

And I think it's also influenced by the fact that Biden was originally not very popular, especially on the left. While he's governed much more to the left of what most people expected, I suspect that many of the people who were predisposed to hate him in the first place have been reluctant to hand it to him even when he does good things, and that's fed into social media's inherent preexisting problems with negativity and anger. A sufficiently popular or charismatic figure would be able to benefit from that inherent negativity, as their cultists would direct that anger and nihilism against the candidate's opponents instead (see also: Donald J Trump), but Biden never really had that core of superfans, and it may not be possible to change that with actions alone. Not really sure it's possible to change with words either - even when he says something strong, people just crack "Dark Brandon" jokes.

It's hard to tell what normal voters are thinking about this poo poo, because I severely doubt that very many of them are still resentful about the size of the 2021 stimulus checks two years later. While I can't actually prove this statement, I strongly suspect that the only people who still remember that poo poo and intend to factor it into their voting decisions are people who've been string Biden critics from the beginning. But even if they're not keeping a list of Biden campaign promises in their brains nonstop and forever remembering every single viral criticism of Biden, I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't picking up the general vibes via Twitter osmosis.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

And I think it's also influenced by the fact that Biden was originally not very popular, especially on the left. While he's governed much more to the left of what most people expected, I suspect that many of the people who were predisposed to hate him in the first place have been reluctant to hand it to him even when he does good things, and that's fed into social media's inherent preexisting problems with negativity and anger. A sufficiently popular or charismatic figure would be able to benefit from that inherent negativity, as their cultists would direct that anger and nihilism against the candidate's opponents instead (see also: Donald J Trump), but Biden never really had that core of superfans, and it may not be possible to change that with actions alone. Not really sure it's possible to change with words either - even when he says something strong, people just crack "Dark Brandon" jokes.

It's K-Hive's time to shine!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kalit posted:

Someone's story has almost no connection with their "accomplishments", unless said accomplishments reinforce or weaken the story. Is this genuinely a thing people don't understand?

There a hell of a lot of people who understand the world in narrative terms - and who don't really understand something unless the underlying story resonates with them.

Trump won largely on the basis that he had a great story - the powerful outsider arrives at the city, hated by everyone in the corrupt political class. He is an underdog, but fight his way to the top, taking out enemies one by one by refusing to bow to established norms, eventually seizing control and restoring power to the right people, doing what the previous rulers couldn't and restoring the city's former glory. It was so good people are still loyal to it even if important parts of it didnt actually happen. Hillary had a story, but it was a terrible one, while Bill's story back in the day was well honed. Campaign Obama had a great story but made no effort to continue telling it once in office.

Biden's story, so far, has mostly been the "return to normalcy" and "no more bullshit", the person you don't have to think much about, the professional who comes in when things are falling apart and offers a reprieve from exhaustion and intensity. I don't think that story works for a president who is already in office though, and I have no idea what, if any, story he's going to be running on for the next election. I do think the pro-labour movement thing has the foundation for being a good story, but it's only pieces right now - it's not personal, it's not obvious, there's no arc that I can see, and he needs one to pull it together and sell it to the sort of people who need a story to be swayed.

I'd wager the most likely outcome is that he doesn't get a good story and runs instead on systemic principles (union organizers turning out the vote, etc.) and, for the narratively inclined, selling himself based on his role in Trump's current story, the bastion of sanity standing against a disgraced former leader and criminal trying to return to power and burn things down out of spite.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 27, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I think my favorite part of Biden's "campaigning" is him and other Democrats pushing for a Tiktok ban.

Like imagine if Trump and DeSantis suddenly started pushing for a ban on Twitter or Fox News in between scolding people that use them.

Some truly mindboggling electioneering.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

koolkal posted:

I think my favorite part of Biden's "campaigning" is him and other Democrats pushing for a Tiktok ban.

Like imagine if Trump and DeSantis suddenly started pushing for a ban on Twitter or Fox News in between scolding people that use them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-09/republican-contenders-vow-tiktok-ban-citing-security-concerns

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tiktok-creators-some-us-democratic-lawmakers-oppose-ban-app-2023-03-23/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/08/14/desantis-says-he-would-ban-tiktok-because-of-china-threat.html

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Dems had tik tik spin off it’s US operations to a US company.

The GOP were the ban tik tok folks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

Biden isn't campaigning on banning Tiktok. He supported banning it on government devices, but the Commerce Department now just says they want a comprehensive data privacy bill that would apply to all major tech companies, including TikTok, instead of just banning it outright. He rescinded Trump's executive order to ban it early in his presidency.

Tiktok moved its data centers to the U.S. for app users in the U.S. as part of a compromise deal.

quote:

"Certainly TikTok poses national security risks to be clear but we need a comprehensive plan," Raimondo said at a Senate Commerce Committee hearing.

"I am often asked should we outlaw TikTok? This is bigger than TikTok," Raimondo said.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-commerce-head-hopes-make-first-chips-funding-awards-this-fall-2023-10-04/

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Food is (or "feels") expensive as gently caress. I don't think it's much of a mystery why people are bitching about the economy when you can't leave a grocery store without dropping $100 at minimum.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

wait i can install tiktok now?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cr0y posted:

Food is (or "feels") expensive as gently caress. I don't think it's much of a mystery why people are bitching about the economy when you can't leave a grocery store without dropping $100 at minimum.

News articles talk about the rate of inflation, but folks feel the area under the inflation curve.

That doesn’t change without deflation. Generally there is a brief sharp period of deflation when a recession starts. If the “optimum” outcome of a “soft landing” occurs that won’t happen, even as the other negative effects of a recession don’t happen (like job losses).

It does not help that grocers and large food conglomerates are actively loving with prices in extremely obvious ways by algorithmic pricing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheWeedNumber posted:

wait i can install tiktok now?

It is available on the iPhone App Store right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cr0y posted:

Food is actually expensive as gently caress. It's the one sector that has consistently been outpacing real wage gains for the last few years.

Gas and oil is actually at a near-historic low in real dollars, housing has grown slower than real income a few times during that period, and used car price growth has plummeted from what it was in 2021. But, food is the one sector that is categorically more expensive in real terms today and has been for basically every month since the middle of the pandemic.

Overall real income is up for the median American in 2023 compared to 2019, but food prices have outpaced real income. So at least 50% of Americans technically have more spending power today than they did in 2019 overall, but the grocery store - which along with gas prices are the two areas that Americans are very aware of price changes every day - is the one area that both feels, and is, worse than 2019.

The median American spends about 11% of their income on food each year, so the big prices in food inflation aren't enough to overcome total real wage increases for the median American, but it is still a sizable chunk and VERY visible source of inflation that actually is worse for most people compared to everything else.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It is available on the iPhone App Store right now.

but...you know... *whispers* what about dem chinezies? they not gonna hack my phone is they

(nah but for real, are the USG types still shook about a loving app with that company swap or not?)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I keep typing and then deleting this cause I'm trying to not sound too doomer-y though I am a doomer but I think the disconnect is from the end of the Obama Hope mood. Ever since Obama '08, every major candidate has been doing a similar vibe either on purpose or from their supporters believing it - Obama himself, of course, Hillary, Bernie, even Biden did in his way as the Man Who Will Restore Normalcy. I don't think anybody left of the Republicans really believes their politicians will improve things anymore.

Casual liberals saw orange man kicked out and the Sensible People returned to power, and then nothing really got better. Ideological Liberals have been yanking on every lever of government and economics they have only to find the old rules don't apply post-covid and their elected officials will just refuse to further the party's goals with no way to corral them. Progressives saw Bernie crash, the largest protests in decades fizzle out, and an unprecedented pandemic ultimately result in the future refusing to change, and we all saw that obituary for the Sanders Left a couple months back.

Even the optimists in this thread can't say better than "decades" or "generations". 'Well, if the Dems never lose the presidency again and climate change doesn't skullfuck us, we can start getting what we want and need in 2073 when everybody posting here is dead :confuoot:'.

But on the other hand, once an election actually happens, Dems keep winning in pretty much everywhere that's competitive. Maybe DarkCrawler was right all along and rather than fighting for a better world that wasn't possible after all, everybody left-of-GOP will still unite just to tell them to gently caress off.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheWeedNumber posted:

but...you know... *whispers* what about dem chinezies? they not gonna hack my phone is they

(nah but for real, are the USG types still shook about a loving app with that company swap or not?)

Here’s the Times with rough outline of where the whole thing stands as of October. It’s generally not allowed on official devices. Personally I’d skip putting it on a work phone too. (But I’ve had my security clearance information stolen by the Chinese government in the past, back in 2015, https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a8c6_story.html )

https://www.nytimes.com/article/tiktok-ban.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Something to consider is that the Tik Tok conversation is an example of the Chinese government being much much better at international propaganda than other governments.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Here’s the Times with rough outline of where the whole thing stands as of October. It’s generally not allowed on official devices. Personally I’d skip putting it on a work phone too. (But I’ve had my security clearance information stolen by the Chinese government in the past, back in 2015, https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a8c6_story.html )

https://www.nytimes.com/article/tiktok-ban.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Something to consider is that the Tik Tok conversation is an example of the Chinese government being much much better at international propaganda than other governments.

Thank you for this. Appreciate it.

E: and also this

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because China passed a new security law in 2017 that required all Chinese companies to store data on servers accessible by Chinese security and intelligence agencies. They can also "spot-check" network and server data of any company without alerting the company or asking for a warrant.

Since there are 100+ million U.S. Tiktok accounts, they are worried that it could be an incredibly effective spying tool since China has been caught using Huawei to do similar things.

Unlike the Huawei situation, there is no direct evidence that China has been using Tiktok for spying yet, though. Tiktok did have "a security breach" where employees accessed and copied information from journalists and people they were connected to via Tiktok. Tiktok said it wasn't doing so on behalf of the government, that it was an isolated incident of rogue employees, and that they fired the people responsible. There was never any direct proof made public that they were doing so on behalf of the government.

So, because it would be very easy to transition Tiktok into a major spying operation due to the 2017 Chinese security law, the couple of incidents of data breaches at Tiktok, and the fact that China did something very similar with a different tech company before is why USG types are shook are about it.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 27, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That's an interesting take, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

International propaganda has always felt like a weak point of the Chinese, but I very much am not the intended audience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TheWeedNumber posted:

Because China passed a new security law in 2017 that required all Chinese companies to store data on servers accessible by Chinese security and intelligence agencies. They can also "spot-check" network and server data of any company without alerting the company or asking for a warrant.

Since there are 100+ million U.S. Tiktok accounts, they are worried that it could be an incredibly effective spying tool since China has been caught using Huawei to do similar things.

Unlike the Huawei situation, there is no direct evidence that China has been using Tiktok for spying yet, though. Tiktok did have "a security breach" where employees accessed and copied information from journalists and people they were connected to via Tiktok. Tiktok said it wasn't doing so on behalf of the government, that it was an isolated incident of rogue employees, and that they fired the people responsible. There was never any direct proof made public that they were doing so on behalf of the government.

So, because it would be very easy to transition Tiktok into a major spying operation due to the 2017 Chinese security law, the couple of incidents of data breaches at Tiktok, and the fact that China did something very similar with a different tech company before is why USG types are shook are about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 27, 2023

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TheWeedNumber posted:

I work for a company with a lot of defense contracts that handles classified stuff. Phones that are connected to our MDM aren’t allowed to have Tik Tok (it locks you out of all the work stuff if it’s detected). Plus you can register personal phones if you don’t get a company phone, but Huawei and ZTE are specifically forbidden.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Casual liberals saw orange man kicked out and the Sensible People returned to power, and then nothing really got better.
How many times and ways do people have to explain that actually, a lot of things got a lot better, and people just don't realize it? (And when are people going to be willing to just say that instead of couching it in a page and half of apologies? When have Republicans ever apologized for underperformance of any kind?)

Like, I would think that that message, coming from the very informed posters of this thread/subforum, might make people think, "hmm, what am I missing?" and go look. But it seems like people just want to come up with an endless list of reason their gut feeling is correct and facts and evidence are just political spin.

I know you're kind of implicitly putting this in the POV of "casual liberals" but Biden has a 78% approval rating among Democrats and I can't find a handy breakdown for self-identified "liberals" but I would guess that he has a higher approval rating among that group than Dems as a whole (because he is pretty liberal, and because liberals are willing to cut the party more slack.)

The voters that are driving Biden's bad numbers right now are the ones who don't think of themselves as "liberal" or "conservative" (or any kind of "left" or "right," really), and those are also the voters who are most likely to be swayed by a campaign that draws a strong contrast.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Imagine how much worse inflation (and Biden’s position today) would have been had Build Back Better passed. Joe Mancin really playing the modern day Gollum and inadvertently saving the election (and maybe Democracy).

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Even the optimists in this thread can't say better than "decades" or "generations".
It's hard to say because of the unprecedented deluge of negative and negatively-framed information. But anybody who expects existing trends to continue forever is a fool, and that applies to disheartening trends as well as good ones. One day people will be happier - you know, at least back to that aughts/late '10s level of grumbling contentment - and I don't think it's going to take "decades."

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Imagine how much worse inflation (and Biden’s position today) would have been had Build Back Better passed. Joe Mancin really playing the modern day Gollum and inadvertently saving the election (and maybe Democracy).
Economists say that the ARP, BPA and Not-BBB together added about 2.9 percentage points of inflation in '22 - so about 1/3 of the inflation that was experienced.

I'm not sure how much more a larger BBB would have affected that - obviously the headline number would've been bigger but the actual effect on inflation would've heavily depended on how the money was spent in the first year or two, rather than the entire 10 year period. If the extra 1.5 trillion or whatever wasn't getting spent until 24 onward anyway it wouldn't have made any difference.

At worst I'd say it would've been another percentage point of inflation. But also, like, people would've been able to afford child care and stuff, so...

It is very annoying that to whatever extent Joe Biden actually contributed to his largest political problem, it was caused by what are unquestionably his best policies.

And we didn't end up with a totally unexpected, near-miraculous no-unemployment recovery from inflation because of magic, it was because of high demand stimulated by those bills, that still somehow managed to not create an inflation spiral. It seems like those bills were more or less the exact right size.

It is super annoying that nobody is considering that the choice isn't "this economy, with inflation" or "this economy, with no inflation." The low-inflation alternate version of the US, where they didn't get that economic stimulus, loving sucks right now, and its economy is horribly depressed. Oh yeah, and in that world there was still high inflation, because the global supply chain was still hosed, it just peaked at 6% instead of 9%. But while everybody was broke and unemployment was high instead of a historically strong labor market. I assure you that you are glad you don't live in that reality.

I don't know how you communicate any of that to voters. It does not seem like the answer is "telling them."

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 27, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's only one way to figure out why people are still pro Trump

The new York times must fund yet another round of cletus safaris

We must know what rural Ohio thinks about when they think about Trump

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

That's an interesting take, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

International propaganda has always felt like a weak point of the Chinese, but I very much am not the intended audience.

Generally it’s targeted at ethnically Chinese abroad but it’s been in the news recently regarding Taiwan. There’s been some news on that recently that will give you a sense of capabilities:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/26/business/media/taiwan-china-disinformation.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

I work for a company with a lot of defense contracts that handles classified stuff. Phones that are connected to our MDM aren’t allowed to have Tik Tok (it locks you out of all the work stuff if it’s detected). Plus you can register personal phones if you don’t get a company phone, but Huawei and ZTE are specifically forbidden.

Just assume they do everything we do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In news that isn't about Dems in disarray, how about some Republicans in disarray

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/27/republican-party-finances-election/

Its looking like Trump might have finally drained a lot of the coffers for donors and its gonna hit them pretty hard across the board

quote:

The Republican Party’s finances are increasingly worrisome to party members, advisers to former president Donald Trump, and other operatives involved in the 2024 election effort, according to 10 people familiar with the matter.

The Republican National Committee disclosed that it had $9.1 million in cash on hand as of Oct. 30, the lowest amount for the RNC in any Federal Election Commission report since February 2015. That compares with about $20 million at the same point in the 2016 election cycle and about $61 million four years ago, when Trump was in the White House.

The Democratic National Committee reported having $17.7 million as of Oct. 30, almost twice as much as the Republican Party, with one year before the election.

“It’s a revenue problem,” Tennessee RNC member Oscar Brock said. “We’re going through the same efforts we always go through to raise money: the same donor meetings, retreats, digital advertising, direct mail. But the return is much lower this year. If you know the answer, I’d love to know it. The staff has managed to tighten down on expenses to keep the party from going into the red.”

The attempt at explanation is kinda laughable considering how much of a non-primary is actually happening on the Republican side

quote:

In an interview, RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said that donors are currently more focused on giving to individual candidates during the presidential primary and that the party’s fortunes will improve once there’s a nominee.

“I think there’s more donors just fully committed to their candidate right now, saying I am all in, and once the nominee is set, I’ll be there. That’s what I hear more than anything. And they’re really solidly in the camps of their candidate, which is normal,” McDaniel said. “There’s nothing unusual about this, because they know that once their candidate gets in that we will merge and that we’ll be working together to win the White House.”

quote:

Republican frustrations burst into the open this month after GOP losses in races for the Virginia legislature, the Kentucky governorship, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and on an Ohio ballot initiative on abortion rights.

In October, the RNC rejected a request for additional funding for the Virginia GOP this fall, said the state party chairman, Rich Anderson. RNC officials said they had budgeted based on a meeting earlier in the summer with Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s team in which they didn’t ask for money.

Other state party officials have grown frustrated when they’ve asked the RNC for money to pay legal bills and been turned down, according to people familiar with the discussions.

In TV and podcast interviews after the elections, McDaniel repeatedly defended the RNC’s refusal to pay, arguing that federal campaign finance laws limit the national committee’s involvement in state elections. In fact, there are no limits on RNC transfers to state parties.

McDaniel has also faulted Republican campaigns for avoiding the subject of abortion instead of adopting a message she has encouraged, to prevent abortion after 15 weeks and allow for a range of exceptions. And her allies say that many of the election losses she has been blamed for were elections in which Trump was widely viewed as the main issue on the ballot.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Eletriarnation posted:

e: if abortion is a tick in the L column for you, why would you consider not voting D in the general election? Is there any scenario where that makes sense?

Main Paineframe posted:

You openly admit that there's not much the president can do about abortion, but you're holding it against him anyway? To be frank, that makes absolutely no loving sense.

Except, the problem here is the First Past the Post electoral system, and its tendency toward a Two-Party system. In the American context, the President is the leader of their party, and also the typically easiest to hold to account for the failures perceived or otherwise of said party. There are 14 states with a Cook PV within +-5, and only 10 states have at least one Senator on the other side of that divide. In this context, doing the only thing you can do to get the attention of the political class (rejecting their leader) makes sense, and "doing the same thing you did four years ago, expecting different results" is the irrational action.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Biden and many Democrats were in favor of a ban but were largely stymied by legal issues such as free speech.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/09/what-happened-to-the-tiktok-ban-00120434
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/16/why-washington-wont-ban-tiktok-00091690

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

In news that isn't about Dems in disarray, how about some Republicans in disarray

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/27/republican-party-finances-election/

Its looking like Trump might have finally drained a lot of the coffers for donors and its gonna hit them pretty hard across the board

The attempt at explanation is kinda laughable considering how much of a non-primary is actually happening on the Republican side

What makes them so sure that pushing for a 15 week abortion ban will work? Didn't they already try that in Virginia, only to get soundly beaten?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think pushing for a fifteen week abortion ban would send the message to voters that “the Republicans are pushing for more restrictions on abortion” rather than “wow fifteen weeks is a great compromise compared to a six week ban”.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zwabu posted:

I think pushing for a fifteen week abortion ban would send the message to voters that “the Republicans are pushing for more restrictions on abortion” rather than “wow fifteen weeks is a great compromise compared to a six week ban”.
They think that the general voter is OK with 15 weeks for some reason

No idea where they came up with that. But I can tell you from experience that it’s just a cover to later restrict below 15 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tnega posted:

Except, the problem here is the First Past the Post electoral system, and its tendency toward a Two-Party system. In the American context, the President is the leader of their party, and also the typically easiest to hold to account for the failures perceived or otherwise of said party. There are 14 states with a Cook PV within +-5, and only 10 states have at least one Senator on the other side of that divide. In this context, doing the only thing you can do to get the attention of the political class (rejecting their leader) makes sense, and "doing the same thing you did four years ago, expecting different results" is the irrational action.

If you want abortion rights to be protected, then there's nothing rational about fighting for abortion by rejecting the guy who publicly called for overturning the filibuster to protect abortion, especially when it means replacing him with the guy who killed Roe by appointing three anti-abortion Supreme Court judges.

There's plenty you can do to get the attention of the political class. It's just that most of it takes slightly more effort than turning up to vote every four years. You are the one doing the same thing you did four years ago and expecting different results - not because you're voting for Dems, but because you're treating your own personal vote as the sole means of political influence.