Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I think I said this before, but where is the health meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I see no reason why this couldn’t/shouldn’t work in a DE game.

“Nanopolymer prosthesis allows you to hack from across the room,slap guards buttcheeks and put LAMS on deskchairs”.

"It seems we are looking at an agent with 13 foot long, boneless tentacles that snake across the ground but are unable to support their own weight."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Welp, here I go, now I have to read Sunglasses at Night again too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Playing through Mankind divided after about 2 years and after a slow start i’m hooked all over again,great game and Jensen is so much better here than HR.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I bounced off HR because my computer couldn’t handle Prague without stuttering. I also blew up an old PSU running the new video card I bought specifically for MD so maybe my comp is just an MJ12 sympathizer.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I bounced off HR because my computer couldn’t handle Prague without stuttering. I also blew up an old PSU running the new video card I bought specifically for MD so maybe my comp is just an MJ12 sympathizer.

They're on to you!

Playing through Mankind divided after about 2 years and after a slow start i’m hooked all over again,great game and Jensen is so much better here than HR.

I love HR still but Jensen's characterisation is a step up in MD for sure

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I know we’ll never get it but i’d really like a Jensen game where he becomes a proto MIB type and has his own agency,wrapping up loose ends and tying up his story.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I know we’ll never get it but i’d really like a Jensen game where he becomes a proto MIB type and has his own agency,wrapping up loose ends and tying up his story.

I got confused for a second and thought this was about the CEO of Nvidia.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

An agent for the Illuminati perhaps? Or whomever is behind Interpol.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried Mankind Divided a couple of times but I keep playing that first mission and hating it so much I just don't continue. Maybe I should dl it again, and just pick up a cloud save I probably have, to skip it completely cos I'm sure the rest of the game won't be that bad. I just don't like the tone of it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arivia posted:

I got confused for a second and thought this was about the CEO of Nvidia.

First off lol,secondly how do you know who the CEO of Nvidia is?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

roomtone posted:

I've tried Mankind Divided a couple of times but I keep playing that first mission and hating it so much I just don't continue. Maybe I should dl it again, and just pick up a cloud save I probably have, to skip it completely cos I'm sure the rest of the game won't be that bad. I just don't like the tone of it.

The first few hours of MD are rough for sure,but once it gets going it’s brilliant.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The first MD tutorial mission is just kinda there to showcase the mechanics... once you get past the tutorial tunnel. After the Dubai mission it dumps you into a lot of cutscenes and dialogue, then you explore a non-combat world, then things start to pick up. It's like they inverted Liberty Island and UNATCO HQ in size and scope.

It's nothing to write home about, just treat it as something that needs to be walked through, and the story beats are intentionally vague (book tie-in?) so you're allowed to not care. By the first time you fire a gun in Prague, it's firing on all cylinders.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah md is heavily underrated, beginning and end are p clumsy but the rest is great

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I love HR still but Jensen's characterisation is a step up in MD for sure

I am always torn. For sure Jensen's characterization is way better in MD, and the voice actor has talked about how he was into the character enough that he felt he could really play the role in the second game instead of just reading lines. On the other hand, I have always assumed that HR's deadpan delivery is intentional - the OG game did this, and I know Spector has talked about the fact that he regrets that they told the VA to give Denton such flat delivery to an otherwise capable voice actor. The idea was to give the player some flexibility in interpretation of the character, and fill in the gaps, and the writing backs that up by mentioning that JC basically doesn't feel strong emotions.

I think it was the right call to move Jensen into being more of a character in his own right instead of just a player avatar, especially with the way the first game had charming moments between Jensen & Pritchard/Malik; but I can't bring myself to dislike the HR performance, I appreciate what they were going for.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://pentadact.wordpress.com/2017/05/29/what-works-and-why-preys-intro/ this has a good analysis of what the issues are

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The man is incredibly memeable.

https://i.imgur.com/4rodNz3.gifv

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nvidia is one of the largest corps in the world by market capitalisation, but besides that he's extremely visible in their marketing so if you're a bit of a tech nerd and have an interest in graphics cards you'll know him

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I also blew up an old PSU running the new video card I bought specifically for MD so maybe my comp is just an MJ12 sympathizer.

Killswitch working as intended.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Wow that’s actually more on point than i’d even thought,good read.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still haven't played Deus Ex: MD and it's because I bounce off the intro, every drat time. I know there's good game after that, I'd probably enjoy it, but it's a a bit of an unenjoyable slog.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You guys gotta play yourselves some Mankind Divided my dudes. The intro is like 30 minutes, you'll live. Push through.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I dunno, HR was a pretty big disappointment. I can imagine them fixing stupid poo poo but ehhhhh.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The biggest problem with MD is we’ll never get a follow up OR we get a follow up and it’s been so long that it inevitably disappoints or is so different engine and gameplay wise that it doesn’t gel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nvidia is one of the largest corps in the world by market capitalisation, but besides that he's extremely visible in their marketing so if you're a bit of a tech nerd and have an interest in graphics cards you'll know him

Cataloging the names of CEOs for billion dollar companies is definitely a thing people normally spend their time doing lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The 5 years between HR and MD felt like forever. Now we’re on 7 years since MD with no sequel in sight. I have to wonder how much they made on the Avengers poo poo that they decided to make instead. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say a word about it in years.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's not like DX is a huge money spinner for them either, it's firmly in the category of games with a devoted core fanbase but not a huge amount of wider or commercial appeal

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The fact that clearly someone had promised them a third game then yanked it away is the worst part of MD for sure. Especially since if the strong hints in that novel between HR and MD were true, the third game was going to be fuckin weird.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

site posted:

Cataloging the names of CEOs for billion dollar companies is definitely a thing people normally spend their time doing lol

You're saying this in response to a goon knowing the name of 1 CEO

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

In detroit robot news my mum just watched Robocop for the first time and loved it,what a loving banger of a film,we both loved the 4 part documentary as well.

Maybe someone will get their poo poo together and see that people liked the newest Robo game and get on a new Deus ex,one can dream.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

The 5 years between HR and MD felt like forever. Now we’re on 7 years since MD with no sequel in sight. I have to wonder how much they made on the Avengers poo poo that they decided to make instead. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say a word about it in years.

It failed miserably to the point that all support was pulled, it has been de-listed from all stores after a last minute fire sale for $5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

gently caress SNEEP posted:

You're saying this in response to a goon knowing the name of 1 CEO

Yes and I'm still skeptical that the implied knowing the names of CEOs of any company with a multibillion dollar market cap is a thing that most people do

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

site posted:

Yes and I'm still skeptical that the implied knowing the names of CEOs of any company with a multibillion dollar market cap is a thing that most people do

I didn't say or imply everyone should know the names of every CEO of the most valuable companies in the world, I said that if you're a tech nerd you would likely know his name due to how big Nvidia are and how prominent a figure he is for them. This is a deeply pointless derail that boils down to 'lol at someone for knowing stuff' so is it really worth fighting on behalf of someone else?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

Nvidia is one of the largest corps in the world by market capitalisation, but besides that

"But besides that" read like "in addition to" to me. But I'm sorry I thought your post was funny though I guess

Md talk, I remember wishing they had spread out the side quests a bit more because I ended up spending like 8 or 9 hours doing them before even entering the task force building to start the main quest lol

site fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 27, 2023

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Forget Jensen, the next game should place in 2051 and have you playing as Paul Denton.

I think there should also be a sidescroller named 'Gunther Hermann Adventures'.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think there should also be a sidescroller named 'Gunther Hermann Adventures'.

The "skul gun" is on-disc DLC :(

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SCheeseman posted:

I still haven't played Deus Ex: MD and it's because I bounce off the intro, every drat time. I know there's good game after that, I'd probably enjoy it, but it's a a bit of an unenjoyable slog.

When you get to the chopper scene, unless you have a super turbo liquid-cooled system, turn your graphics settings down. The sandstorm effects murder your framerate.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Grand Fromage posted:

You guys gotta play yourselves some Mankind Divided my dudes. The intro is like 30 minutes, you'll live. Push through.
I couldn't even get past the starting screen that had a thousand notifications about DLCs and season passes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I couldn't even get past the starting screen that had a thousand notifications about DLCs and season passes.

The monetization was kind of breathtaking, iirc, like you could buy 5000 nuyen for 99c or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my favourite was the pre-order bonus weapons that were only granted on your first playthrough, and lost forever if you started over