Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I still think a Sullivan for Evason trade would probably improve both teams in the near term. In general I'd definitely rather have Sullivan but both coaches have gone lame in their current situations

Yeah in a vacuum I'd take Sullivan but he feels pretty past his expiration date with the Pens.

That said it's entirely possible that the Pens are too old and bad for any coaching change to make a difference. But I think it's kinda crazy that the Pens might punt on two seasons in a row just for the sake of keeping Sullivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

So Dean Evason has to be on his way out in Minnesota right?

i hope not. or at least I hope he gets another job immediately. This is probably my favorite coaching thing of the last several years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYFwWsnFFE

just the eyes of a killer

Mr. Kite posted:

Quick casually being the best goalie in the league again is pretty great. I never lost faith in him.

some day Benoit Allaire is going to retire and all Ranger fans will be devastated. he seems to work well with pretty much every goalie he touches.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

New doc about NHL 94. It's good, learned new stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFT3iQx1BY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shyduck posted:

New doc about NHL 94. It's good, learned new stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFT3iQx1BY

Like one timers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The league isn't gonna do poo poo about safety until a McDavid level player gets ruined and an entire organization decides to sue for years of lost revenue

Trouba literally won a playoff series by concussing one of the biggest stars in the sport and they didn't do anything about it.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I've been a Rangers fan since the late 90's, and Trouba makes me understand what it must've been like to be a Devil's fan cheering on Scott Stevens.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1729161306069197263

:hellyeah:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Free Gratis posted:

I've been a Rangers fan since the late 90's, and Trouba makes me understand what it must've been like to be a Devil's fan cheering on Scott Stevens.

now imagine 3 Cups and a rapist

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Angry Asian posted:

From last season he was prone to turning the puck over near the opposing blueline trying to make a play rather than getting it in deep which drove tocchet up the wall but figured hey we can work that out this off-season.. but he hasn't improved with that and guessing tocchet has had enough

Meanwhile Tyler Myers is out there doing what Tyler Myers does every single night lmao

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

T-Bone posted:

now imagine 3 Cups and a rapist

my mind went straight to blackhawks

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Have Rangers fans unironically come full circle since the Wilson incident and fully embraced Trouba and his actions, or are they so committed to the bit that I can't tell the difference?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

th3t00t posted:

Have Rangers fans unironically come full circle since the Wilson incident and fully embraced Trouba and his actions, or are they so committed to the bit that I can't tell the difference?

Yes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

:hmmyes:

Trouba is arguably a cleaner hitter/player than Wilson but I certainly get why people get all hot and hoppy about him blowing up their teams stars

e: more Trouba fuel

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1729171805536182341

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1729193179386450065

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 27, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Carver posted:

my mind went straight to blackhawks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

I've always loved big hits and guys agitating. If they're gonna let Tom Wilson do it, the solution is to try and get your own Tom Wilson. this is notably distinct from getting a Ryan Reaves. You want a poo poo-stirrer that can play otherwise rather than a poo poo-calmer-downer that can't play. This is why Jacob Trouba + Tom Wilson are effective and Ryan Reaves mostly isn't. Ryan Reaves was useful like one time in the last couple of years, in the series against Carolina, since he was playing pretty okay and also tilting Carolina (Tony D specifically). poo poo-calmer-downer guys are useless. They don't deter at all.

Mostly all Rangers fans have felt this way tremendously since Avery. We were mostly embarrassed by our ownership during the Wilson thing. He owned us so hard our owner turned into a Penguins-style owner and got our GM + President + later Coach fired. And caused us to play Ryan Reaves for over a year. That's crazy effective as an agitator, all credit to Tom.

And this won't change for at least a generation. I mean, obviously as a start George Parros is head of player safety, and Rob Blake and Stephane Quintal and Brendan Shanahan and Colin Campbell before them. A fun exercise is to google like any NHL coach/GM/president/front-office-person and "fight". You'll see videos of current head coach Dean Evason trying to fight NHL President Cam Neely so that Neely doesn't Bertuzzi one of his teammates. Luke Richardson has great ones. Dave Brown is head of pro scouting for Philly. GM Chris Drury was fully supportive of his team putting out 3 goons to attack Ottawa's stars after Ottawa concussed him. The coach who put those goons out with an intention to Bertuzzi everyone on the ice was current coach Lindy Ruff. Craig Berube is a Stanley Cup winning coach lol. Ron Hextall GMed for a number of years.

So yeah, until they actually decide to do something, the obvious choice is to get as many effective poo poo-stirrers as you can. Every time Trouba lights up another Devil, there's more of a chance that they cave and trade for some useless scrub that won't do anything. I was much more worried when they got Meier, who is obviously a great player but also a huge dirty piece of poo poo.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I don't actually believe it but even the chance of it being true is funny as hell:

https://twitter.com/KyleBryan/status/1729000269495898138

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gently caress Corey Perry isn't supposed to be literal

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Corey Perry Fucks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I've always loved big hits and guys agitating. If they're gonna let Tom Wilson do it, the solution is to try and get your own Tom Wilson. this is notably distinct from getting a Ryan Reaves. You want a poo poo-stirrer that can play otherwise rather than a poo poo-calmer-downer that can't play. This is why Jacob Trouba + Tom Wilson are effective and Ryan Reaves mostly isn't. Ryan Reaves was useful like one time in the last couple of years, in the series against Carolina, since he was playing pretty okay and also tilting Carolina (Tony D specifically). poo poo-calmer-downer guys are useless. They don't deter at all.

Mostly all Rangers fans have felt this way tremendously since Avery. We were mostly embarrassed by our ownership during the Wilson thing. He owned us so hard our owner turned into a Penguins-style owner and got our GM + President + later Coach fired. And caused us to play Ryan Reaves for over a year. That's crazy effective as an agitator, all credit to Tom.

And this won't change for at least a generation. I mean, obviously as a start George Parros is head of player safety, and Rob Blake and Stephane Quintal and Brendan Shanahan and Colin Campbell before them. A fun exercise is to google like any NHL coach/GM/president/front-office-person and "fight". You'll see videos of current head coach Dean Evason trying to fight NHL President Cam Neely so that Neely doesn't Bertuzzi one of his teammates. Luke Richardson has great ones. Dave Brown is head of pro scouting for Philly. GM Chris Drury was fully supportive of his team putting out 3 goons to attack Ottawa's stars after Ottawa concussed him. The coach who put those goons out with an intention to Bertuzzi everyone on the ice was current coach Lindy Ruff. Craig Berube is a Stanley Cup winning coach lol. Ron Hextall GMed for a number of years.

So yeah, until they actually decide to do something, the obvious choice is to get as many effective poo poo-stirrers as you can. Every time Trouba lights up another Devil, there's more of a chance that they cave and trade for some useless scrub that won't do anything. I was much more worried when they got Meier, who is obviously a great player but also a huge dirty piece of poo poo.

This is a very true and correct post.

And also, all the lols if you don't realize by now that Tom Wilson will be head of the DOPS in about 8 years. And Reaves will probably get a stint there too.

Before Tom Wilson, there was Matt Cooke. Cooke was a different kind of agitator, a cowardly little poo poo who took every possible cheap shot and then ran and hid when challenged, whereas Wilson can and blithely will give you two fistfuls f you'd care to come at him. But like Wilson, Cooke could actually play, and his mere presence on the ice tilted things in his team's favor.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 27, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Reaves will get his turn at DOPS and will take revenge on all the teams that benched him when he thought he could still play

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I don't actually believe it but even the chance of it being true is funny as hell:

multiple teammates came out and said nice things about Corey perry in the past few days which I don't think they would be doing if he had been laying pipe with a teammate's mom

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

multiple teammates came out and said nice things about Corey perry in the past few days which I don't think they would be doing if he had been laying pipe with a teammate's mom

If Bedard isn't one of those teammates I can 100% believe it's true, no one likes the rookie even if he's the best player on the team. Especially if he's the best player on the team tbh.

Like 80% likely to not be true in the specifics. But if you're trying to make a name for yourself by correctly guessing what's coming on twitter and pretending you knew all along because you have Sources, it's a good guess to make. Creepy Rory has been kicked off the team, no one's talking about it, he hasn't been suspended or arrested for DV or anything--the most likely explanation is he banged someone related to or the SO of a teammate or coach. And probably someone of enough stature with the org that they chose to boot CR rather than tell the offended party too bad, deal with it. I'm surprised they haven't traded him yet but whatever it is, it'll come out soon enough.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 27, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

maybe they were just recognizing game

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

maybe they hosed his mom too

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Aye Doc posted:

Maybe Bedard is a little poo poo stain and they back Corey's form of vigilante justice

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
maybe....just maybe, gently caress the blackhawks

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Aye Doc posted:

alternatively, I've heard players on the ice call him a motherfucker before

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

maybe....just maybe, gently caress the blackhawks

Cmon, Connor Bedard's mom is trying!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Misanthrope posted:

I choose to believe everything on the internet is true, including this

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Just a little light hazing for the rook

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Connor gonna be leading the league in points by the new year

I think my post about not noticing him during the Tampa game really lit a fire under him.

fawning deference posted:

Only 6 goalies currently have played at least 10 games with at least a .915 save percentage: Hill, Swayman, Talbot, Demko, Jarry, and Shesterkin. The league average for goalies is now 2.99 / .902

Feels like we are in an era where it's difficult to come up with a list of no-doubt great goalies. Like, Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. Then it's probably Sorokin and Shesterkin. Ullmark and Swayman only count as one entity. But I think everyone would agree with Woll. But beyond that, it's difficult.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Cancel Moms Trips imo, remember when the Caps destroyed the Habs and Ovie took a picture with their moms after the game? Demoralizing

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Misanthrope posted:

i am choosing to believe this is true until proven otherwise

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Misanthrope posted:

Somewhere Patrick Sharp smiles

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Twin Cinema posted:

I think my post about not noticing him during the Tampa game really lit a fire under him.

Feels like we are in an era where it's difficult to come up with a list of no-doubt great goalies. Like, Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. Then it's probably Sorokin and Shesterkin. Ullmark and Swayman only count as one entity. But I think everyone would agree with Woll. But beyond that, it's difficult.

Is Hellebuyck really that good? I mean I know he gets some hype but I dunno

Shesterkin's high end is good as anyone IMO but he's a little inconsistent past his Vezina year. So far though he has seemed to round into shape at the end of the year/post season which is good

Vasilevsky is weird IMO. He has his faults and I don't think he's THAT good but the team as a whole kind of has a method of adjusting and letting him play to his strengths

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vasilevskiy has been real good and probably would have had like Pekka Rinne's career absent the good fortune of getting to play his whole career for Jon Cooper.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I guess being loving huge is an asset for a goalie even if your blocker side is complete poo poo

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think my top 5 for goalies (who I consider the elite) are

Saros
Sorokin
Sheshterkin
Hellebuyck
Vasilevskiy

in no particular order.. I think you could make arguments for any one of those guys as truly the best at the position.

After them 5 I have the two Boston goalies who have performance on the same level as them but in a smaller sample period, and after the two Boston goalies it's Demko and Oettinger as clear "top 10" guys in my book.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't think there's currently any guys I'd say are on the classic "franchise" goalie level that we've seen in the past but part of that is longevity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Y'all are forgetting about Jonathan Quick