Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can someone explain to me how Jomboy Media makes money? They do a ton of youtube videos that get like 1k likes, to extrapolate out to views (cause youtube doesn't pay for likes) that's barely any money. I know they primarily do podcasts but they put so much time and effort into projects that don't seem like money-makers. They bought the rights to a dating show and those videos did basically peanuts based on youtube's monetization payouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grem posted:

Can someone explain to me how Jomboy Media makes money? They do a ton of youtube videos that get like 1k likes, to extrapolate out to views (cause youtube doesn't pay for likes) that's barely any money. I know they primarily do podcasts but they put so much time and effort into projects that don't seem like money-makers. They bought the rights to a dating show and those videos did basically peanuts based on youtube's monetization payouts.

Betting sponsorships?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They also have a bunch of merch and a Patreon and Jimmy does ESPN appearances sometimes he maybe gets paid for idk

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

They made most of their money through VC investment. They've already had to do layoffs, but I think Talkin Baseball and Talkin Yanks are both really popular in that sphere and they obviously have a lot of player support which I'm sure makes it easier to convince investors.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
So many Miami fans are big mad at this tweet, for some reason:

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1710861059169329484?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess we’re back to 9/11-esque bullshit

https://twitter.com/thedunkcentral/status/1711481750151401723?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Grem posted:

I can't speak directly to all their business stuff but I looked at their youtube channel and recently lots of his videos are getting direct sponsorship from Draft Kings so that is a direct ad buy placement inside the video and it has a promo code too so they're getting a tiny kickback too if someone uses the promo code. On top of that he has a whole host of video networks and although not exactly the percentage breakdown if you get 1 million views on a video you get about 1000 dollars from the ad revenue. So he's taking in a passive amount of money every month as some of the videos he's uploaded are obviously very much about what just happened but others are sort of evergreen and I'm sure every few months a random video pops for no apparent reason other than the algorithm decided to like it.

Secondly as others said he has podcasts and some of the podcast ad buys can actually be shockingly lucrative. But also noted was they did overexpand and had to do some layoffs recently. He's definitely become part of the greater sports ecosystem too so I'm sure there are a lot of partner deals or whatever.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lmao a tweet of solidarity gets you gone. don’t they know this is the very thing that fuels conspiracies

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Startup news site The Messenger seems to be quickly going under. Not sure how large their sports operation was but they definitely had one, Ryan Nanni was doing stuff there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don’t know what their plan was to stand out. A website that covers news AND pop culture? Wow, what a concept!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don’t know what their plan was to stand out. A website that covers news AND pop culture? Wow, what a concept!
Also splash in the exact same buzzwords from every post-pandemic corporate media launch -- "unbiased", "AI"

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Startup news site The Messenger seems to be quickly going under. Not sure how large their sports operation was but they definitely had one, Ryan Nanni was doing stuff there.

They had a lot of good sports writers from what I could tell. And then I made the mistake of looking at the front page and deciding to never go to the website for any reason.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I feel like I'm pretty plugged into the news/pop culture landscape seeing as it is a large element of both of the jobs I do right now. I have not even heard of the messenger? Maybe I'm bad at my job? But yeah, I've never once even seen a story linked to that site and I spend like 12 hours a day on twitter.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The headline "The Wemby Era Will Hit Different in San Antonio" is the most Ringer headline i have ever seen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It's Giving 7'4 and Domination

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA has a Wembanyama Era Problem

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
All The Pieces Matter: An Oral History Of Victor Wembanyama's Summer Leagues, Ranked

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Opinion: The NBA Needs a Height Limit (Seriously)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
the unicorn of unicorns

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lmao if you are still going to the ringer dot com for any reason in the year 2023.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lmao if you are still going to the ringer dot com for any reason in the year 2023.

It's free OP

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s garbage. Feel free to insert the trump tweet about Diet Coke here

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Let's hope he's like season 1-4 Omar and not season 5 Omar where a short little guy takes him out unexpectedly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s garbage. Feel free to insert the trump tweet about Diet Coke here

There's the occasional fun article.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Welcome to the future

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

quote:

There was nothing in Drew Ortiz's author biography at Sports Illustrated to suggest that he was anything other than human.

"Drew has spent much of his life outdoors, and is excited to guide you through his never-ending list of the best products to keep you from falling to the perils of nature," it read. "Nowadays, there is rarely a weekend that goes by where Drew isn't out camping, hiking, or just back on his parents' farm."

The only problem? Outside of Sports Illustrated, Drew Ortiz doesn't seem to exist. He has no social media presence and no publishing history. And even more strangely, his profile photo on Sports Illustrated is for sale on a website that sells AI-generated headshots, where he's described as "neutral white young-adult male with short brown hair and blue eyes."

They caught Sports Illustrated publishing ChatGPT nonsense under bylines with deepfake headshots and when called on it denied everything and deleted it en masse.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's pretty depressing. I'd expect it out of some of the new online media like whatever Deadspin is these days. But to destroy Sports Illustraded's legacy like that is sad. They used to have really good journalism.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Welcome to the future

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

They caught Sports Illustrated publishing ChatGPT nonsense under bylines with deepfake headshots and when called on it denied everything and deleted it en masse.

That sucks because I loved reading Domino Abrams' columns

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

That's pretty depressing. I'd expect it out of some of the new online media like whatever Deadspin is these days. But to destroy Sports Illustraded's legacy like that is sad. They used to have really good journalism.

SI has been a hollow shell with a brand name on it for a while now. The PE firm that bought them and really set about the destruction is called "Authentic Brands Group" which is just... beyond parody.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think they just pay freelancers now. They probably had no idea this was AI, it just ticked the right boxes and worked cheap.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lockback posted:

I think they just pay freelancers now. They probably had no idea this was AI, it just ticked the right boxes and worked cheap.

The fact that the names and faces would change periodically and all of the bylines would change with them makes this seem very unlikely.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There are respectable human journalists still on staff there -- Emma Baccalieri, Richard Johnson off the top of my head from the sports I follow -- but yeah the enterprise as a whole has been like this for a while now. They do have a union which has already issued a statement, so that's good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Rohan Nadkarni is another good writer still at SI. But yeah, it’s def a shell of itself.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just checking in to say that I can't stop laughing at the thread title, as happens from time to time

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
SI is apparently blaming this on a subcontractor that they hired for content farming.

e: This all looks very real!

https://bsky.app/profile/kilgoretrout.bsky.social/post/3kf7sguaupz2g

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 28, 2023

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

don’t think this is gonna improve their reputation

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1730218207540060439?s=46

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
did the issue go to printers in September?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Isn’t SI a zombie publication at this point.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Next to that article in the magazine is going to be an article about how to start playing volleyball without a ball

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/johnmtaylor/status/1730230857141567544?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Isn’t SI a zombie publication at this point.

Oh yeah, has been for years now.