Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a fan of cool fights, don't get me wrong, but the entire arc is just one cool fight after the next with no character development or intrigue really.

It's because this is the pay-off arc for all the intrigue from the first half of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
JJK is a bog standard shonen series and it's unapologetic about that. Everyone knows what they signed up for. It checks all the boxes down to the personalities and power dynamics of the main trio.

The Dark Tournament was one of my favorite parts of YYH and it was basically nothing but fighting. I don't think you need much intrigue and character development for these kinds of shows. Often times, it ends up being detrimental to the action. Like if you add a bunch of plot hooks and questions that don't get resolved, or all the characters just ignore or forget about. I think even Nanami's swan song was kind of heavy-handed.

Also, I would only say it pays off the first half if Real Geto makes a return somehow. As it stands, all that it accomplished was making Gojo hesitate long enough to get mazed, and I'm not sure an entire flashback arc and movie were necessary for that, although they were pretty cool.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 28, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

JJK is interesting because when its peak, its really peak, but I do think Gege lost his way a bit especially with turning Geto from Gojo's long lost friend into a weird brain parasite of an ancient sorcerer no one really cares about. There are 2 competing "series" in JJK and neither gets fully served. I personally really loved the very standard, but well executed, protagonist trio stuff with Nobara, Megumi, and Yuji. Even the initial flashback story with Gojo and geto works in that mood, and its really good to boot. Then there is all this background stuff about the century and millenia old sorcerers carrying out plots across the vastness of time which starts encroaching on the story more and more. We already get it in Shibuya with Geto being revealed as a brain guy, which takes some of the wind out of the sails of the plot, and Sukuna's origin. I'd love a story about guys who are hosed up sociopath sorcerers re-incarnating, turning themselves into cursed objects, body hopping etc to affect the world over a huge time scale, but maybe not in my show about high school kids punching ghosts :shobon:

Still though, if you're not enjoying Shibuya I don't think the next arc is gonna do you any better. This is one of the payoffs for Yuji harboring Sukuna all this time and a resolution for the curses like Jogo and Hanami who have been our lurking antagonists for S1/S2.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Jerkface posted:

There are 2 competing "series" in JJK and neither gets fully served.

This is exactly how I've felt lately. Gege has a good repertoire of ideas but feels compelled to get them all down on paper at once, maybe out of fear that a follow-up/spin-off series wouldn't sustain interest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerkface posted:

JJK is interesting because when its peak, its really peak, but I do think Gege lost his way a bit especially with turning Geto from Gojo's long lost friend into a weird brain parasite of an ancient sorcerer no one really cares about. There are 2 competing "series" in JJK and neither gets fully served. I personally really loved the very standard, but well executed, protagonist trio stuff with Nobara, Megumi, and Yuji. Even the initial flashback story with Gojo and geto works in that mood, and its really good to boot. Then there is all this background stuff about the century and millenia old sorcerers carrying out plots across the vastness of time which starts encroaching on the story more and more. We already get it in Shibuya with Geto being revealed as a brain guy, which takes some of the wind out of the sails of the plot, and Sukuna's origin. I'd love a story about guys who are hosed up sociopath sorcerers re-incarnating, turning themselves into cursed objects, body hopping etc to affect the world over a huge time scale, but maybe not in my show about high school kids punching ghosts :shobon:

It really feels like whenever a shonen battle series gets close to almost being an ensemble series somebody pulls the emergency brake.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I blame society character popularity polls

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This episode hurts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That was some eye popping animation, for sure.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, that sucks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So this was the episode, huh. I'm really looking forward to seeing the discussion once more people have seen it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

King of Solomon posted:

So this was the episode, huh. I'm really looking forward to seeing the discussion once more people have seen it.

As a standalone episode it was a real, "oh drat" moment. Of course, knowing how things go nobody's dead unless you see a body/transfigured Nobara. She could just end up wearing a cool eyepatch for the rest of the show. Pretty bold if it sticks tho.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Booing and throwing trash at the screen

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I've always felt like JJK is a response or even a deconstruction of the previous generation of big shonen manga. The beginning especially feels like it's ripping incredibly hard off Naruto: a trio of young sorcerers, one of whom is a charismatic dolt and the host of an ancient demon, his rival and the deuteragonist a dark-haired genius from a prominent clan and heir to a powerful inherited technique, discipled to their white-haired prodigy master with special eyes? I know obviously a lot of this is pretty generic to the shonen genre in general but I really doubt it's not intentional at some level.

Other arcs and the logic of the characters' abilities remind me more of Togashi, but mostly what we've had so far just always reminded me of Naruto. I feel like JJK succeeds at being a more "up to date" shonen and I've really liked this adaptation of the Shibuya arc, which is definitely one of the best in the manga. JJK as a whole has its fair share of flaws but I really like it. I'm a few episodes behind on this season because I'm wanting to build up a bingeable buffer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

Booing and throwing trash at the screen

Turn your monitor on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mordja posted:

Turn your monitor on.

I turned it on and saw the author make an incredibly stupid story choice.

Nobara cool, clever, tenacious, interesting power set with the ability to expand far beyond what we've even seen, spends an entire fight not getting touched then lets Mahito touch her without reacting ok gege

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
she a girl

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I get that it's TV but Nobara getting her head blown off here was a lot more dynamic in the manga, and this is a more important scene than a punch-up in a bathroom.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

After last weeks mediocre animation, they did a really good job with this portion and I hate it gently caress you mahito

Tosk posted:

I've always felt like JJK is a response or even a deconstruction of the previous generation of big shonen manga.

JJK is a really good version of something, and I think intentionally. It’s not really trying to subvert tropes, but it does examine them well. I think it’s less of a deconstruction, and more it honors the tropes but gives them different outcomes because of the world he’s built.

I saw a tiktok that said there are 2 current types of shonen lineage, dragon ball Z ones and yu yu hakusho ones. Shows more like DBZ the main characters usually initiate the action, while in YYH the action happens and the main character reacts. Naruto was like DBZ, and JJK is like YYH. It’s not a perfect analogy but it definitely explains why the things jjk homages/references usually have different outcomes.

It’s a great series even if I’m constantly mad and nervous reading/watching it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

I turned it on and saw the author make an incredibly stupid story choice.

Nobara cool, clever, tenacious, interesting power set with the ability to expand far beyond what we've even seen, spends an entire fight not getting touched then lets Mahito touch her without reacting ok gege

She got touched several times.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

She got touched several times.

She avoided the actual CT activating type of touch, she got hit incidentally by claws - its stupid that she stood there and let mahito full on touch her face when she was previously super spry and active in the fight. I think this is poor direction by Mappa for this sequence. The hallway is waaaay shorter in the manga, it should have happened quicker, blah blah blah I absolutely hate this plot point even in the manga. The reason given in the manga is that she had let her guard down due to fighting the clone but she knew there was a real mahito and he was likely heading towards it!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 1, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I had the same reaction. Even if she didn't think that was the real Mahito it makes no sense to just let him grab her. At least have her try to dodge and make him stretch his arm or something. :shrug:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That was loving stupid.

Fridging Nobara is basically a GoT level let's shock them over actually having likeable characters do things decision.

Also of course it was the girl.

Because of course.

Not to mention that she just, lets the villain who kills souls by touching them touch her with no fight after he has to do like a full 100 meter dash to get to her.

I was pretty down on the season in general for essentially being tonnes of action setpieces in a row with little character as connective tissue but I think this is where I'm out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loving hated this moment in the manga and honestly it kind of soured me on the series as a whole.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you think about it, this is the realest type of shounen coming-of-age, since the quirky young cast can only watch in horror as the machinations of ancient monsters take their future away from them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jerkface posted:

She avoided the actual CT activating type of touch, she got hit incidentally by claws - its stupid that she stood there and let mahito full on touch her face when she was previously super spry and active in the fight. I think this is poor direction by Mappa for this sequence. The hallway is waaaay shorter in the manga, it should have happened quicker, blah blah blah I absolutely hate this plot point even in the manga. The reason given in the manga is that she had let her guard down due to fighting the clone but she knew there was a real mahito and he was likely heading towards it!
Yeah, in the manga it feels a lot more believable since it's a real close-quarters affair and the momentary confusion of Mahito swapping powers with his clone (since Nobara was facing the one without Idle Mutation) sells her getting touched better.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ha im sure shes fine! doin great even

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

That was loving stupid.

Fridging Nobara is basically a GoT level let's shock them over actually having likeable characters do things decision.

Also of course it was the girl.

Because of course.

Not to mention that she just, lets the villain who kills souls by touching them touch her with no fight after he has to do like a full 100 meter dash to get to her.

I was pretty down on the season in general for essentially being tonnes of action setpieces in a row with little character as connective tissue but I think this is where I'm out.

I don’t know if I’d called it fridging if every character got dismantled this arc without accomplishing anything other than to die and for it to be really painful or get beaten to a bloody pulp by creatures so far beyond them they might as well be insects

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Sindai posted:

Honestly I had the same reaction. Even if she didn't think that was the real Mahito it makes no sense to just let him grab her. At least have her try to dodge and make him stretch his arm or something. :shrug:

I am with you here. Honestly bad direction for that sequence, have her try to dodge and get touched anyway. Or just reframe the shot so Yuji punching double Mahito happens at the same time as Nobara gets brushed with a finger. It wouldn't take much to sell the touch is incidental but still deadly with out making Nobara looking like a chump

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you think about it, this is the realest type of shounen coming-of-age, since the quirky young cast can only watch in horror as the machinations of ancient monsters take their future away from them.

On the one hand, this is a great take and it could have made me happier about one of the trio (probably) dying. On the other hand, Gege picked Nobara to be the one to die - he's consistently done women dirty in this story - and I'm probably out now too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

The problem is I don't give a poo poo about the ancient monsters and whatever they're doing. I'd rather see the characters I liked in season one who've spent most of this arc getting temporarily (and permanently now I guess) sidelined.

I appreciate the suggestion that it's this way on purpose but it's not really working for me

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Chainsaw Man did it better

dipwood fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 1, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Thank God I read ahead after last episode with Nanamin. Him and Nobara were my favorite characters. To have both die to give the main character the impetus to get good?

Thanks, I hate it.

Of course JJK is a typical shounen and sidelines the girl, then fridges her to top off the poo poo sundae. Honestly, I give shounen chances cause I hear they're revolutionary, different takes, amazing... and they all pull this bullshit.

I'm still going to watch, but this dipped down in my rankings of what I consider great entertainment.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why have girls when you caan have sexy boy twinks

Think before you speak

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why have girls when you caan have sexy boy twinks

Think before you speak

The last twink died just before Nanami, also everyone hated him.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I let last episode marinate and I'm dropping the series. Having random "lol gently caress you" deaths (Nanamin was understandable since he was a walking corpse, not so much for Nobara) to give weight to a paper thin script plus a perceivable quality drop as their animators gets ground to dust, makes it unfun to watch. I hope that, if mappa gets another season of chainsaw man to handle, they won't compromise quality in both direction and animation as this season of JJK.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 1, 2023

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Did people complaining about this series fridging a character not watch Hidden Inventory? Make no mistake, it's a valid complaint but one that should have been seen months ago. It sucks but the Shibuya Arc is very obviously about stripping everyone away from Yuiji at this point so singling out Nobara's death(?) as cheap feels... I get it sucks but it's fair game? She was chasing a guy she knew couldn't mess her up with a touch ad got caught in a moment of mental overload thus getting clapped. We can argue that the direction made it look avoidable but we could say the same about Jogo's BBQ session. I feel these were all meant to be seen as blink and you miss moments but if you see them as drawn out attacks that could have been dodged I get it.

All that "well actually" aside, I do agree Gege is doing a demographic of his cast real dirty and the Fridge needs to be locked.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Until this episode I enjoyed s2 more than s1, but I'm one of those weirdoes who liked the secondary cast and the antagonists more than the main trio, so I was happy with what we got.

With most of said characters dead, if killing Nobara sticks (I thought she was going to lose an eye from watching the OP, not get loving fridged) I'm going to change my plans from "I'll pick up the manga after s2" to "I won't be watching more of it". There's too much good anime to waste time on things I'm meh about.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
People keep saying that, but the gender ratio for deaths and rear end kickings is drat near equal. Was it fridging when Junpei was killed in front of Yuji? Was it fridging when Nanami got killed in front of Yuji?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Schubalts posted:

People keep saying that, but the gender ratio for deaths and rear end kickings is drat near equal. Was it fridging when Junpei was killed in front of Yuji? Was it fridging when Nanami got killed in front of Yuji?

It's a bigass case of "I don't like it, and instead of just dealing with that it has to be An Issue"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I totally get the people who want the return of basic things like character progression that defined the manga pre-Shibuya but I have bad news for you re: the rest of the series lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 1, 2023