Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

god please help me posted:

As someone who needs to long distance help my mom out with a tech issue, parsec is sounding pretty nice.

The only thing better is the way Apple built in Remote Desktop into iMessage.

I have to log into my dad’s Mac way too often and it’s so incredibly easy on both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

god please help me posted:

As someone who needs to long distance help my mom out with a tech issue, parsec is sounding pretty nice.

For occasionally tech help, I think windows' built-in remote assistance thingy is pretty good. Don't have to install anything, and the steps to initiate it from the helpee's side are very straightforward. I've used it several times to help out my mom who is several states away.

You wouldn't want to use it for anything else, but for remote tech support it's pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

For occasionally tech help, I think windows' built-in remote assistance thingy is pretty good. Don't have to install anything, and the steps to initiate it from the helpee's side are very straightforward. I've used it several times to help out my mom who is several states away.

You wouldn't want to use it for anything else, but for remote tech support it's pretty good.

Has it gotten better? When I tried it it was a phenomenal failure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always used teamviewer. Seem to work pretty well.
e: Never had it ask for payment, but pretty rarely use it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 27, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really wish I knew that parsec doesn’t have an iOS client before I installed it on all my computers. Dammit.

Anyway what’s the go to Remote Desktop with an iOS client?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really wish I knew that parsec doesn’t have an iOS client before I installed it on all my computers. Dammit.

Anyway what’s the go to Remote Desktop with an iOS client?

Splashtop works well.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Splashtop works well.

Seconding this. Lifesaver after LogMeIn ended their "lifetime" service after 3-4 years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gamers Nexus going back and reviewing Intel ARC after a year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXU9wee0tec

TLDR:
- ARC has been consistently improving with every driver update.
- The ARC software is way less buggy and annoying to use.
- There are still far too many issues, so the recommendation is to not buy an ARC card quite yet if you aren't willing to put up with some weird problems.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you’d think intel hasn’t been putting gpus into all of their processors for the past decade and a half, but also credit for the steady improvement

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’d think intel hasn’t been putting gpus into all of their processors for the past decade and a half, but also credit for the steady improvement

IIRC their drivers for their ARC GPUs are from scratch; nothing from their previous GPUs is in there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think their igpu drivers were ever noted for having good game support, either (not that the hardware was ever good enough for it to matter). The best you could ever say is that they were stable display adapters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't think their igpu drivers were ever noted for having good game support, either (not that the hardware was ever good enough for it to matter). The best you could ever say is that they were stable display adapters.

For the sort of thing you normally use an igpu for, that's pretty high praise. I don't think I've ever had to even think about the existence of Intel igup drivers, day to day on the kind of machines where they matter they're as invisible as any other boringly reliable core component of an office work machine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inept posted:

IIRC their drivers for their ARC GPUs are from scratch; nothing from their previous GPUs is in there.

Not just drivers, the hardware is a totally different architecture than the previous iGPUs.

And it's TBQH a pretty big challenge they set themselves up for. The reason for most of the bugs and problems is they dropped hardware that supports DX11 features and are emulating it with DX12-class hardware, using a translation layer.

I just had the thought "I wonder if they do better on linux where they can use the DXVK stuff for better compatibility?" and it looks like the answer is no, because they don't even implement a bunch of vulkan stuff either. They really mean it when decided to make a dedicated DX12 card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at some point they did start using DXVK as part of their windows driver for runing DX9 games specifically, rather than microsofts D3D9on12 layer that they used initially, because it works better in practice

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/12/intel-using-dxvk-part-of-steam-proton-for-their-windows-arc-gpu-dx-9-drivers/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gmail has a feature where you can send mail with a different address. I buy mail forwarding from iki.fi, so my address is like example@iki.fi. It forwards mail to my gmail.

Then in gmail I can send the email like it was sent from example@iki.fi. This is not possible with Proton mail, I’d have to buy my own domain etc. Way too much effort. Are there other services than gmail which support it?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

Thanks.

With the mail forwarding, it would be trivial to switch my email provider off gmail. Just adjust the address my mail is forwarded to. Just need to find a better service.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pretty sure spoofing your from-address like that is a bad idea because the receiving mail server can tell it's spoofed and will penalize you in it's spam scoring system accordingly

when you set up a custom email domain the proper way, part of the process is setting up authentication records which prove the emails you send from it aren't spoofed

also i think you're in the wrong thread

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

pretty sure spoofing your from-address like that is a bad idea because the receiving mail server can tell it's spoofed and will penalize you in it's spam scoring system accordingly

when you set up a custom email domain the proper way, part of the process is setting up authentication records which prove the emails you send from it aren't spoofed

also i think you're in the wrong thread

Why then people talked on length about gmail, other email providers, and a mention that it’s high time to move off gmail in this thread? I would not have asked if people didn’t talk about it.

What is spoofing? If I receive mail to example@iki.fi and send mail as example@iki.fi, how it is spoofing? It is an actual address and it has worked very well for a long time with gmail.

If no other service provides support sending mail as with an another address, seems the only option is to continue using gmail.

Edit: spoofing in dictionary is defined as "to try to make someone believe in something that is not true". My use case is very clearly not spoofing, since the example@iki.fi is an actual very real email address, not fiction, or a non-existing address.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 28, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you are sending emails from example@gmail.com which claim to be from example@iki.fi, without any authentication that you do actually control example@iki.fi, so as far as mail servers are concerned it looks like spoofing/impersonation

it looks like iki.fi doesn't have strict DMARC set up which is probably why you've got away with it up to now, but if they ever decide to enable that then your unauthenticated emails will get treated as spam

i would assume this can of worms is why security-conscious providers like protonmail don't allow you to easily set a spoofed from-address

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ihmemies posted:

Why then people talked on length about gmail, other email providers, and a mention that it’s high time to move off gmail in this thread? I would not have asked if people didn’t talk about it.

What is spoofing? If I receive mail to example@iki.fi and send mail as example@iki.fi, how it is spoofing? It is an actual address and it has worked very well for a long time with gmail.

If no other service provides support sending mail as with an another address, seems the only option is to continue using gmail.

Edit: spoofing in dictionary is defined as "to try to make someone believe in something that is not true". My use case is very clearly not spoofing, since the example@iki.fi is an actual very real email address, not fiction, or a non-existing address.

Mail deliverability in 2023 is based on SPF, DKIM and DMARC. Records that clearly state that emails coming from a specific domain generate from a specific set of servers. Mail "on behalf of" shits all over those checks, making outbound email very likely to end up in spam, mail server quarantine if not dropped.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ihmemies posted:

The dictionary doesn’t define how mail servers work, hth

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

you are sending emails from example@gmail.com which claim to be from example@iki.fi, without any authentication that you do actually control example@iki.fi, so as far as mail servers are concerned it looks like spoofing/impersonation

it looks like iki.fi doesn't have strict DMARC set up which is probably why you've got away with it up to now, but if they ever decide to enable that then your unauthenticated emails will get treated as spam

i would assume this can of worms is why security-conscious providers like protonmail don't allow you to easily set a spoofed from-address

But I use my iki.fi username and password to send the mail? I understand the authentication is not exactly strict, but username/pw combos are still widely used for authentication in many cases.

SlowBloke posted:

Mail deliverability in 2023 is based on SPF, DKIM and DMARC. Records that clearly state that emails coming from a specific domain generate from a specific set of servers. Mail "on behalf of" shits all over those checks, making outbound email very likely to end up in spam, mail server quarantine if not dropped.

I still don’t understand a word about you guys word salad. Is there some hmm more simple English way of explaining what you are trying to say?

Or what would be a better thread for this?

I have set up the smtp.iki.fi as the server used to send email from, and it has worked very well. Mail clearly originates from the iki.fi address since it is sent from their smtp servers. Never had issues with mail not going in our out.

I’m trying simply to find an alternative to gmail. I use the client to read and compose mail, and gmail stores the mail. @gmail.com is not my email address, I don’t use it anywhere. I just need the storage and client features. And the send mail as feature, which at least gmail has. Standard email clients have it too, but it’s way too much effort to use something like Thunderbird in 2023.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Email is complicated. You have reading to do and it's probably not something a thread on SA will get you unless you happen to abuse the goodwill of somebody else who has already done the reading for you. Or,

Dewgy posted:

The dictionary doesn’t define how mail servers work, hth

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

But I use my iki.fi username and password to send the mail?
[...]
I have set up the smtp.iki.fi as the server used to send email from, and it has worked very well. Mail clearly originates from the iki.fi address since it is sent from their smtp servers. Never had issues with mail not going in our out.

welp i misunderstood what you're doing, you're using gmail as a frontend for the actual iki.fi mail server which is totally fine to do

off the top of my head i don't know of any other mail services which let you do that

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

repiv posted:

welp i misunderstood what you're doing, you're using gmail as a frontend for the actual iki.fi mail server which is totally fine to do

off the top of my head i don't know of any other mail services which let you do that

Isn't that more or less just making Gmail into a POP3/SMTP client? Any email program will let you connect to your SMTP/POP3 server and send and receive email. It does not have to be gmail.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i assume they used gmail because they wanted amenities you don't get from a traditional local email client (e.g. web access from anywhere)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Last time i used gmail for third party pop3/imap, it always ignored the third party account smtp setting and sent email from gmail servers. I would be curious to see if they fixed it, since it would mean less data going thru their content farm.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

i assume they used gmail because they wanted amenities you don't get from a traditional local email client (e.g. web access from anywhere)

Yes, and they actually host my mail. I have tons of mail I need to store somewhere. Microsoft’s spam filter is terrible, I tried using them but I had to stop. Maybe Fastmail would support using sending email as with another address? Someone mentioned them as an Gmail alternative in previous page. I read about identities from their help page, maybe they are the same thing as gmail’s “send email as”.

I’m not really knowledgeable about email, sorry. It’s just very annoying to deal with email hosting or domains by yourself, a lot less effort if someone more competent does it for me. Google’s policies have simply gotten more annoying one the years. I already got rid of android and photos and search, so gmail and calendars would be the next thing to move away from Google.

Sorry for the continued derail. :eng99:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When I want to send email I fill the person's email address into the "subscribe to comments" feature on a youtube video, then write my message as a comment.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Yes, and they actually host my mail. I have tons of mail I need to store somewhere. Microsoft’s spam filter is terrible, I tried using them but I had to stop. Maybe Fastmail would support using sending email as with another address? Someone mentioned them as an Gmail alternative in previous page. I read about identities from their help page, maybe they are the same thing as gmail’s “send email as”.

i happen to use fastmail and it appears they do support sending via an external SMTP server, as you've been doing with gmail

note i have a paid account, dunno if external SMTP is allowed on a free account

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 28, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Klyith posted:

When I want to send email I fill the person's email address into the "subscribe to comments" feature on a youtube video, then write my message as a comment.

This is the Internet age version of cutting up newspaper headlines to collage into a ransom note.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might be a silly question but is it possible to have a video on YouTube be completely ad break free? Or is that something that YouTube does on its own no matter what?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

This might be a silly question but is it possible to have a video on YouTube be completely ad break free? Or is that something that YouTube does on its own no matter what?

I mean, mine all are but that’s because I pay for the privilege

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah with uBlock and SponsorBlock

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol ok I should have specified this is a video someone has uploaded for people to view. Like monetization free?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, even if you try and disable all monetisation you can’t stop YouTube slapping ads on it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what if you say lots of advertiser unfriendly words in the video on purpose

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No, even if you try and disable all monetisation you can’t stop YouTube slapping ads on it.

That’s what I figured. That’s dumb and bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

the recent trend of pepole bleeping out words like "abuse" is, interesting

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i found a random 4 hour long stream VOD by some alt-right dipshits and youtube didn't show a single ad, so i guess that does work

you just have to convince the algorithm that your video is so awful that it's radioactive to advertisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

repiv posted:

You get ads that are ok with playing over 'offensive' material.

If it's bad enough you get no ads, but typically they just remove the video at that point.

The funniest poo poo though is if you get a copyright claim, the holder now gets to choose if ads run on your video and they get the proceeds.

Edit: Or did they stop that last part? That was hilarious so I hope not.