Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ah, sorry for the confusion! I just remember the left 4 dead 2 censorship being a big deal back in the day. i also have fond memories of playing goldeneye and perfect dark exclusively with paintball mode to avoid angering parents.

Then a friend of mine lent me his copy of Soldier of Fortune and I literally yelped when I first fired a shotgun. good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kicking the habit and getting hassled by my dealer who calls me a smoothskin

your dealer is complimenting you, shark

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The one they slipped a crypto miner into?

They didn't "slip" one in. They outright said "please run this miner and we'll pay you back in SMNC funbucks". Which somehow felt even more embarrassing and desperate than if they had snuck it in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also looping back to the whole "how do you sustain a multiplayer population" subject, maybe don't let your tiny insular community organize newbie stomps right on your official forums. :cripes:

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ah, sorry for the confusion! I just remember the left 4 dead 2 censorship being a big deal back in the day. i also have fond memories of playing goldeneye and perfect dark exclusively with paintball mode to avoid angering parents.

Then a friend of mine lent me his copy of Soldier of Fortune and I literally yelped when I first fired a shotgun. good lord.

Tbf, looking at a list of banned/censored games there were quite a few in the late 00's that were targeted entirely due to their violent content. Apart from L4D2 there was also Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Silent Hill Homecoming, Dark Sector, 50 Cent, and others. It's really from 2012 onwards that the focus shifted towards depictions of positive drug use instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grassy Knowles posted:

your dealer is complimenting you, shark

Well I'm NOT going to bang him

Narcissus1916 posted:

lmfao

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

Australia's primary censorship trigger nowadays is the use of drugs for positive benefits. The most recent cases I can think of being We Happy Few and Rimworld both being temporarily banned until being successfully unbanned on appeal.

Fallout 3 sidestepped the issue by renaming Morphine into Rad-X or something.

It's applied incredibly inconsistently though. Saints Row 2 is still for sale and in that, cannabis is basically a health bonus. They've RC'd games that use fictional drugs too, like Disco Elysium, though that got reversed on appeal it wasn't because they were fictional but because of the "context", which I don't think the legislation actually allows for so they're really just making poo poo up as they go.

The Australian ratings system is an absolute joke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fascinating. You can't use the half life tau cannon in certain multiplayer maps after the update. Or maybe it's just the main server I play on, it crashes the entire shebang

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

John Murdoch posted:

They didn't "slip" one in. They outright said "please run this miner and we'll pay you back in SMNC funbucks". Which somehow felt even more embarrassing and desperate than if they had snuck it in.

You're right, that's definitely worse

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Super MNC could never be accused of being well-managed, no.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Quake engine chat:

So vkQuake development was abandoned in May due to the rising popularity of Ironwail. However the latter hasn't had a release since March, just a few days after the last vkQuake release. Granted there's still commits on the Ironwail GitHub.

Anyways, I keep meaning to check out Ironwail but I've been waiting for "the next" release before doing it, which hasn't actually happened.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I’d just take the plunge, it’s a nice port. From personal experience on my weird non-x86 Linux machine my framerates on the vanilla Quake timedemos jumped from ~1000 fps with VkQuake to 1250 fps in Ironwail, which may be meaningless but is still present, and probably bodes well for any number of crazy-demanding Quake maps I haven’t gotten around to playing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah Ironwail is great, no known issues really and it's the de facto standard for playing custom singleplayer releases.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's only 7.50 now but does it seem likely Sprawl will be on sale at xmas too? I doubt it'll go lower nor would I expect it to but I don't know if I want to jump the gun and spend my precious wallet dollars in case something catches my eye in 3-4 weeks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd be surprised if it goes much below that, but it should be on sale again.

Also for other bargains, there is a good list here

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 27, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I missed this announcement, from two days ago. was it discussed?
https://twitter.com/pagb666/status/1728543771149643856

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nice. i'm assuming this one is gonna be doom 2?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Turin Turambar posted:

I missed this announcement, from two days ago. was it discussed?
https://twitter.com/pagb666/status/1728543771149643856
I don't think the name was announced but he did say he was doing a Doom II megawad after Sigil II (the Ukraine relief map was pulled from it apparently)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Confusingly, the name is super similar to the Doom sourceport called 'Helion' !!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Turin Turambar posted:

Confusingly, the name is super similar to the Doom sourceport called 'Helion' !!

I could have sworn there was an ancient ZDoom level set named Helion too but I couldn’t find anything with a quick search

Edit: I think I was remembering Herian 2 from 1999

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 28, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hmm this is awkward, I was about to reveal my new project, Helllion

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At the current rate Im looking most forward John Romero's John Romero's Daikatana expansion

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Hey remember how there was that new Starsiege game that was a corridor extraction shooter or whatever?

Well, there's apparently a new Tribes in the works.

https://fps-z.com/shooter/first-look-at-the-new-tribes-game-from-prophecy-games/

Before you get excited, though, it's by the same company as the corridor shooter, which apparently didn't last, so this might make it either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, they cancelled the corridor extraction shooter that literally did appear to take place entirely in corridors?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i signed up to be possibly sent a beta test thing in the next few days, so here's hoping

by all appearances the new thing they're developing seems to be uh. an 'actual' tribes game. so take that how you will.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
give me the Corridor 7 reboot that's an open-world exploration shooter with an emphasis on movement options, baby.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now you might think wed call the sequel to Corridor 7, Corridor 8. But this isnt some iterative sequel, this is a back to basics ground up reimagining. This is Corridor 1

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

While we're talking pipedreams I'm still waiting for a proper port of the Mac "classic" Prime Target. Super ambitious, super janky, all cheesecake.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

Now you might think wed call the sequel to Corridor 7, Corridor 8. But this isnt some iterative sequel, this is a back to basics ground up reimagining. This is Corridor 1

Market research shows numbers are scary and drive away consumers, so we're going with the much more sleek and minimalist title of "Corridor".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Murdoch posted:

Market research shows numbers are scary and drive away consumers, so we're going with the much more sleek and minimalist title of "Corridor".

God drat it you beat me to it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Corridor

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SCheeseman posted:

The Corridor

That'll be the title of the two decades after the fact "reboot" aka multiplayer extraction shooter game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We need to bring back stupid subtitles. Things like CORRIDOR: THE PHOENIX PROPHECY and DOOM: BLADE OF PHANTOM TORMENT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We need a narrative hook. Lets give John Corridor a daughter.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We need to bring back stupid subtitles. Things like CORRIDOR: THE PHOENIX PROPHECY and DOOM: BLADE OF PHANTOM TORMENT.

The apparently announced but canceled sequel was going to be Corridor 8: Galactic Wars

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

We need a narrative hook. Lets give John Corridor a daughter.

I hope nothing bad happens to her. :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Corridor: Origins

Corridorigins

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Corridor: Revelations

It's actually more of a hallway. :monocle:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Corridor: Revelations

It's actually more of a hallway. :monocle:

<spooky zoom in on John Corridors face> Its not a corridor, its a foyer! <smash cut to credits>

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Been playing Deus Ex and for some reason I did the entire Clinton Castle section without killing anyone but the game is acting like it was a bloodbath. I guess it at least convinced me to not fret about icing a few guys going forward considering everyone already thinks I'm a crazed gunman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Barudak posted:

<spooky zoom in on John Corridors face> Its not a corridor, its a foyer! <smash cut to credits>

okay we can mock John Corridor all we want, but without his contributions we would have never had "ROOM"