Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

CuddleCryptid posted:

What is it like being the antagonist in a Jack Chick tract?

That teacher screwed up but at the same time I can imagine it's hard to tell kids what the largest holiday of the year in the Christian world is about. The safest path is just to say it's a holiday about getting together and sharing gifts but then a 5yo asks what's up with the godlike deity in the red suit.

Oh yeah. I came off harshly because I essentially was forced to be Catholic due to teachers in my public school (we went to church every Friday morning in grade school at my "public" school). I thought I'd avoided the overt religious influences in a public school by being in a bigger city than where I grew up, but here we are.

I'm gonna let our kid do what he wants and answer his questions. I know a lot about this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ I wouldn't say you were being harsh because it is a messed up thing, that's totally justified.

Elissimpark posted:

Dealt with Jesus the same way as Santa: "Some people believe..."

I mean that's essentially what we're doing. Some parents go "I'd never lie to my kids about santa" but imo it's a really good teaching tool to then go "you know how when you were little you really wanted to believe in a mystical creature that separated the good from bad and rewarded/punished them for their actions? Well..."

Hopefully it helps him pass through his inevitable insufferable atheist phase a bit more smoothly.

That being said we've already established that the cheaper toys are from Santa but the good poo poo is from us.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That being said we've already established that the cheaper toys are from Santa but the good poo poo is from us.

loving genius.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Elissimpark posted:

loving genius.

It's partially to go "no way kid Santa isn't getting credit for your Playstation 6" but also there's a practical part of it since we make a lot more money than a lot of my family. Therefore it sidesteps "Santa gives more well off kids more presents" somewhat handily; Santa gives all kids roughly the same presents, you just received some fancier stuff from mom and dad on top of that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

After our screwed up week last week (kids sick at different times), then kids and one parent sick over the weekend, then me starting to get sick but mostly fighting it off- today daycare had an emergency closure and one kid’s room will have a delayed opening tomorrow. They don’t know how delayed, but will let us know ~asap tomorrow~.

:negative:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

my oldest kid (preemie) never figured out breast feeding and now younger kid refuses to use a bottle. And I swear the monkeys paw has fewer fingers extended than before

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
At one point we had a 3 month old who refused to latch her whole life and then developed a bottle feeding aversion of some sort. Like clockwork she’d refuse the rest of the bottle after around 20-30ml and we had to keep offering over the course of her entire wake time before starting all over after the next nap.

I don’t even remember what resolved it, I think maybe it was upping the nipple size 1-2 times on the bottle so she theoretically didn’t have to work so hard. We also tried a couple different bottles.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

dismas posted:

my oldest kid (preemie) never figured out breast feeding and now younger kid refuses to use a bottle. And I swear the monkeys paw has fewer fingers extended than before

We had trouble with bottles up through about 7.5 months (either no drinking or like .5oz) when we found the magic combination of formula (Kendamil, can get at target), making the formula hot (like 110F), and using a bigger nipple size on our comotomo bottles (went up to 3). She didn’t like reheated breast milk as much, wouldn’t finish it. We also had to try a bunch of bottles to find one she liked. We also tried open cups, straw cups, soft nipple sippy cups, everything. Upside is that she can use a straw well at 10 months I guess. I really hope it starts to click for you guys, very frustrating having the baby not want to eat!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Our second is due in about 10 days and this is giving me flashbacks I didn’t need

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

nachos posted:

Our second is due in about 10 days and this is giving me flashbacks I didn’t need

Nothing is the same the second time

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's partially to go "no way kid Santa isn't getting credit for your Playstation 6" but also there's a practical part of it since we make a lot more money than a lot of my family. Therefore it sidesteps "Santa gives more well off kids more presents" somewhat handily; Santa gives all kids roughly the same presents, you just received some fancier stuff from mom and dad on top of that.

My wife wants to take this approach when the time comes as well, and I think it's pretty sensible.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We just got delivery of our new baby on Saturday, and I'm happy to report that our 5-year-old seems to have been an absolute angel around her grandparents while we were gone. I appreciate the small victory even while bigger things are happening. Hopefully everything will be OK tonight between her and the little brother when mommy brings him home from the hospital. All signs point to yes.

(Wow, I'm tired. Spoiling the 5-year old with candy and TV for being nice to everyone.)

Well, what do you know, the eldest came down with conjunctivitis.

I guess this baby will be very grumpy if he catches it. Shame how it’s like the most contagious thing in existence after Covid, and I’m already starting to feel symptoms…

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

nachos posted:

I’ve got 4, and I found going from 1 to 2 the worst.

Goonluck.

To be fair, I found it bad because I was a selfish person, and it was probably more down to my own childishness, than it being another child.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, what do you know, the eldest came down with conjunctivitis.

She's on the sofa now, watching (for the fourth time in two days) the Bluey episodes "Sleepytime" and "Escape".

It's a good excuse to play her some Holst, I guess.

Baby is eating and sleeping so that's all good I guess. Back for a weigh-in at the maternity ward tomorrow.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

devmd01 posted:

You should know by now not to say such things aloud.

They will Hear You.

Two for three now. :mad:

cleaning up went smoothly, no fuss and he was back asleep quickly

Also this morning mini pony has determined that pee is stored in the wheels (of the Hot Wheels car carrier truck).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son is baffled by any food in a tube or pouch. Confounded by squeezing from the bottom. Once the top inch is gone, it's empty.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Oodles posted:

I’ve got 4, and I found going from 1 to 2 the worst.

Goonluck.

To be fair, I found it bad because I was a selfish person, and it was probably more down to my own childishness, than it being another child.

Two children is 100% more children than one, but three is only 50% more than two, so it makes sense.

The baby has RSV and got her first tooth last week. I don't think the toddler ever had a diagnosed case of RSV (yet), but iirc she was also sick around when she got her first tooth. I wonder if that's a thing?

Edit:

Brawnfire posted:

My son is baffled by any food in a tube or pouch. Confounded by squeezing from the bottom. Once the top inch is gone, it's empty.

The toddler is definitely capable of squeezing her pouches but prefers mommy or daddy to do it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nachos posted:

At one point we had a 3 month old who refused to latch her whole life and then developed a bottle feeding aversion of some sort. Like clockwork she’d refuse the rest of the bottle after around 20-30ml and we had to keep offering over the course of her entire wake time before starting all over after the next nap.

I don’t even remember what resolved it, I think maybe it was upping the nipple size 1-2 times on the bottle so she theoretically didn’t have to work so hard. We also tried a couple different bottles.

Yeah our boy seemed to always do better with the bigger nipples too. We used the Dr. Brown's bottles since that's what the used in the nicu. I think we had him on the size 2 nipple (3+ months according to dr brown's) at like a month adjusted age or something like that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

trying to find a nanny who doesn't demand cash... whew

we're doing a nanny share with a CPA so she's insistent on doing it all above-board, and i'm not down with aiding tax evasion either, but goddamn

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

trying to find a nanny who doesn't demand cash... whew
Are you trying to reimburse a DCFSA or just don't like handling cash?

I feel like if the government wants care providers to all operate above board then they should make the DCFSA cap accurately reflect the actual cost of childcare. As it is, they're getting someone's income taxed, even if it's the parent and not the care provider.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Sweeper posted:

We had trouble with bottles up through about 7.5 months (either no drinking or like .5oz) when we found the magic combination of formula (Kendamil, can get at target), making the formula hot (like 110F), and using a bigger nipple size on our comotomo bottles (went up to 3). She didn’t like reheated breast milk as much, wouldn’t finish it. We also had to try a bunch of bottles to find one she liked. We also tried open cups, straw cups, soft nipple sippy cups, everything. Upside is that she can use a straw well at 10 months I guess. I really hope it starts to click for you guys, very frustrating having the baby not want to eat!

Just throwing out here to warn new parents off Phillips Avent bottles. My son was born 93rd percentile, dropped some weight in the hospital, but barely drank any milk and dropped to 2nd percentile by six weeks. We tried a bunch of different nipple sizes before we switched to a free drip Evenflo bottles and he gained weight faster. He started solids at 4 months, per doctor's advice, and that 14mo kid is well above average size now and eats everything. I sort of wish we'd kept the bottles though because he likes throwing the free drip bottles around and making a mess, he's definitely strong enough to drink from the harder bottles now.

Separately, I keep trying to figure out how to childproof this house to get ahead of my son. He's now tall enough to reach onto my wife's desk and grab stuff, so we put her pills on shelves. He's also able to reach the edge of the kitchen counters, so there goes our ability to use the front burners. Our furniture is already all urine-proof and sturdy because we have a cat that used to urinate on all of our good furniture, but making shelves, pet food, and litterboxes more childproofed is the next step.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yesterday at around bedtime for my 24 month old daughter grabbed my finger yesterday and wanted me to walk up the stairs with her. She then wanted me to sit down in the chair in her room and read her a book. She then wanted me to snuggle her for a bit before bed. I put her to bed all the time but her doing this unprompted was neat.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Just throwing out here to warn new parents off Phillips Avent bottles. My son was born 93rd percentile, dropped some weight in the hospital, but barely drank any milk and dropped to 2nd percentile by six weeks. We tried a bunch of different nipple sizes before we switched to a free drip Evenflo bottles and he gained weight faster. He started solids at 4 months, per doctor's advice, and that 14mo kid is well above average size now and eats everything. I sort of wish we'd kept the bottles though because he likes throwing the free drip bottles around and making a mess, he's definitely strong enough to drink from the harder bottles now.

Separately, I keep trying to figure out how to childproof this house to get ahead of my son. He's now tall enough to reach onto my wife's desk and grab stuff, so we put her pills on shelves. He's also able to reach the edge of the kitchen counters, so there goes our ability to use the front burners. Our furniture is already all urine-proof and sturdy because we have a cat that used to urinate on all of our good furniture, but making shelves, pet food, and litterboxes more childproofed is the next step.

Yea the new avent bottles suck. Switched to dr. Brown and baby did much better with those.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Huh, we really liked the Avent bottles. Started him on a size one and have worked up to a size 4 at this point. Of all the nipples we've tried, the Avent seems to be most like breastfeeding, which was important as we also wanted him to breastfeed well.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Yeah, we've been fine with the Avent bottles too.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

We're trying to figure out the precise nipple to use for our Comotomo bottles to have a not too slow but not too fast flow, this child and her reflux is exhausting. Also the milk and soy and egg(?) allergies. Seeing blood in a diaper is very unfun.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Avent bottles rule cause they are easy to clean

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

we use those dr. brown ones and it works fine no problem.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

First kid was avent only, second is dr brown. Both work fine.

Getting a cleaning service has got to be my #1 “if you can afford it” recommendation for new parents. We do monthly and it’s a great feeling to have that deep clean taken off our hands.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

With #1 we got some of almost every brand and the only one that stuck was MAM, which #2 also likes.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
We use glass Avent bottles but we did move up pretty quickly in nipple sizes. I guess the newer nipples are smaller than their older ones.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I remember trying a ton of bottles and nipples and all of them semi seemed to work some of the time. We landed on Avent bottles by the time it didn’t really matter because eventually the kid just sucks whatever and didn’t care.

I also remember trying to do nipple science with different sizes to see which one worked best and then realizing my wife was randomly swapping them and our nanny was randomly poking holes in them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rufio posted:

Avent bottles rule cause they are easy to clean

I don't have strong feelings over bottles but my wife does and she's a die hard Tommie Tippee fan.

I keep my mouth shut because they're so easy to clean and I love it

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

First kid never reliably took a bottle and we tried maybe 4 different kinds. Second kid we tried the Minbie and it was a huge success.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
My oldest (7) is starting to play in hockey tournies, and unfortunately that sometimes requires the kids to sit around for half hour or more until the parents get everything sorted. I was thinking about letting him listen to music while he waits (headphones), but I would like if he could have his own device to play music on. Are there any good options for something that I could download 20-30 songs worth and also has bluetooth? I really would like to avoid having to give me a smart phone long as possible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Just throwing out here to warn new parents off Phillips Avent bottles.
It seems all babies have different feeding experiences (and issues) so I hesitate to make any general claims about specific bottles/nipples since what might work for one might not for another, etc.

That said, I would echo your comment about the Philips Avent Natural bottles. We were gifted a starter set and while our first did OK with them, they always seemed too wide to me. They're supposed to mimic a breast, but there's a huge difference between soft skin and hard plastic and our kiddos don't latch the same when breast/bottle feeding. Even Philips's own website has a comparison photo where you can see the bottle is clearly crammed into the kiddo's nose in a way that the breast doesn't. Anyways, these bottles didn't work well with our second and was likely a contributor to her developing a bottle aversion.

We've had better success with the Philips Avent Anti-colic bottles, which use a more traditional nipple and include this green vent thingy that's supposed to keep the nipple full of milk when feeding upright. Overall I like these, they worked well for our second after we got her over the aversion, and we're using them with our third too. We haven't had any problems with breastfeeding/bottle confusion (which I'm sure is a thing, but anecdotally doesn't seem to be as much of an issue once feeding routines are established). You can also use these bottles without the green vent thingy and they're basically a "regular" bottle at that point.

Our kids all had fairly strong sucking power so we never moved beyond the #2 size Philips nipples and they could still tank a bottle relatively quickly. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about "moving up" nipple sizes unless feedings are taking too long or the kiddo expresses frustration.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 29, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

My kiddo wouldn't take the avent 'natural' ones as a newborn, but did (eventually) take the anti-colic/'classic' ones. I'm now able to feed him using the natural ones since we have them and it spares me from having to washing the same batch of bottles multiple times a day.

However, during the first few weeks with Bean, we ended up buying some Pigeon Softouch bottles coz the midwife recommended it as being a bit easier for newborns to take - he was born a bit early so didn't really have a strong suck.

Dick Ripple posted:

My oldest (7) is starting to play in hockey tournies, and unfortunately that sometimes requires the kids to sit around for half hour or more until the parents get everything sorted. I was thinking about letting him listen to music while he waits (headphones), but I would like if he could have his own device to play music on. Are there any good options for something that I could download 20-30 songs worth and also has bluetooth? I really would like to avoid having to give me a smart phone long as possible.

Possibly a silly question, but is there any reason an old iPod wouldn't do the trick? Obviously he wouldn't be able to use bluetooth with it, but as something to use during breaks in sports that doesn't seem too bad...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah I think an older iPod would be the move. Find a Classic or something and throw some stuff on there.

Edit: For the hell of it I checked on Best Buy to see if MP3 players are still around for puchase and it looks like Sandisk makes these little cute players that might work?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-clip-sport-plus-32gb-mp3-player-black/6460176.p?skuId=6460176

Really though, iPod would be the easiest.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 29, 2023

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

hannibal posted:

We use glass Avent bottles but we did move up pretty quickly in nipple sizes. I guess the newer nipples are smaller than their older ones.

We had just kept trying bigger nipple sizes with the Avent because that's what was recommended, and it just didn't fix it. He didn't start gaining weight until we just replaced the bottles entirely, and it was pretty scary how small he was. I know all babies are different, but I know it's happened to other families before. If it works for someone, great. But if growth slows down, I'd really look at that because my breasts got blamed (combo-feeding) before we figured out it was the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Yeah I think an older iPod would be the move. Find a Classic or something and throw some stuff on there.

Edit: For the hell of it I checked on Best Buy to see if MP3 players are still around for puchase and it looks like Sandisk makes these little cute players that might work?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-clip-sport-plus-32gb-mp3-player-black/6460176.p?skuId=6460176

Really though, iPod would be the easiest.

Hah, I was just about to suggest that exact device!

I have the older version, with a monochrome screen and no bluetooth (but it can take an SD card...) and it's just great. If it's still kicking when my kid is older, I'll probably pass it along to him -- with the same stuff loaded, so he can enjoy Matt Berry, Fairport Convention, and the Lord of the Rings audiobooks.

I've also got a walkman-type cassette player kicking around that he may get first, since tapes are really quite kid-friendly.