Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ro5s posted:

TBH for chaos rhinos I'd just get heresy ones instead, I'm assuming it goes together much better than the old one.

A quick google says they're the exact same size and are 5 bucks cheaper, I've got enough random chaos poo poo laying around to slap on it so that seems like the move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As has been said, just get the 30k kit and stick spikes on it if that's your legion's/warband's thing. Or leave it clean and (relatively) well maintained. It comes with a lot of the usual CSM options too. A havoc launcher and combi-weapons are included on the 30k vehicle upgrade sprue along with a lot of other stuff like a crew member in mkII armor or a drat multi-melta.

I will say that it is overall a pretty good kit, but it has one big flaw. The tabs on the floor that go into the sides are too thick. You need to shave them to get them to fit right and for the floor to be flush. I've built a few of the new rhino chassis and every one has had this issue. I know it's weird, but it seems to be a consistent problem from talking with other people. Just something to be aware of.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

I will say that it is overall a pretty good kit, but it has one big flaw. The tabs on the floor that go into the sides are too thick. You need to shave them to get them to fit right and for the floor to be flush. I've built a few of the new rhino chassis and every one has had this issue. I know it's weird, but it seems to be a consistent problem from talking with other people. Just something to be aware of.

Yep, same issue with the one I built as well. Also worth noting that the 30k Rhino has different tracks than the 40k kits, if you're mixing and matching.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

ro5s posted:

TBH for chaos rhinos I'd just get heresy ones instead, I'm assuming it goes together much better than the old one.

This was the plan until I realized the don't sell the Chaos vehicle spur alone anymore and I couldn't find one on eBay.

Also it was a weekend sale and that was all they had :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Astra Militarum holiday box is on amazon for roughly MSRP but I took a step back and decided not to "save money" buy spending hundreds of discounted dollars on a new army when I haven't even finished painting my space marines.

Relatedly, I got 5 terminators painted up as retro ultramarines, so that's real progress; I can feel the passion for the army returning, they look nice snugged away in the army transport, now I just need to paint 25 more.

I missed the Space Marine codex coming out. So the Contemptor Dread is completely removed from 40k now? I suppose I should buy the current Dark Angels Combat Patrol before it's removed. Or do you think a Contemptor is a reasonable proxy for a Redemptor in local games?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Eh, I'd buy the combat patrol instead

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Contemptor has been Legen'd yes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Getting a bunch of guards is not going to help with the pain of having a bunch of unpainted miniatures, in fact, it will probably make it worse.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Someone tell me Custodes combat patrol is a waste of money so I can stop thinking about it.

Also honestly, I'm not a fan of the thunder warrior lightning bolts all over the chest pieces. Imperial Aquilla looks so much better on power armor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

The next thing I need is a couple chaos rhinos and that makes me a bit hesitant to pick up official sculpts lol

the chaos rhino is a regular rhino, the exact same as any other rhino except that it does not have the razorback sprue. instead, it comes with the chaos accessories sprue, which is considerably older than the rest of the rhino, and that's the one that might have mold slips.

the deimos rhino for 30K doesn't have spiky chaos crap but it does have some eyes of horus.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So the Contemptor Dread is completely removed from 40k now? I suppose I should buy the current Dark Angels Combat Patrol before it's removed. Or do you think a Contemptor is a reasonable proxy for a Redemptor in local games?

a contemptor is the right size to run as a redemptor, sure. also the contemptor still on the adeptus custodes list :v:

Lostconfused posted:

Someone tell me Custodes combat patrol is a waste of money so I can stop thinking about it.

no joke, it is pretty bad. it's half sisters of silence.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Lostconfused posted:

Many Custodes armies have ten sisters in it as ablative armour for occupying objectives. It's fine for that. The Vertus Praetors (jetbikes) are really cool models, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ro5s posted:

You can really tell that the older molds have lost a looot of detail over the years

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Played my first games of 10th over the weekend. My local store was running a 500pt "combat patrol in spirit" event to try and get people playing 40k again, since a lot of people dropped off in 9th. So it was essentially bring a 500pt list that had to be reviewed by the store owner to make sure it was "in the spirit of a combat patrol." (Essentially, making sure noone was bringing stupid powerful poo poo for the purpose of stomping people at the lower points costs)

It was a lot of fun. I ended up bringing a squad of Terminators with a Termie Chaplain, a squad of Sword Brethren, and a squad of Sternguard. Lost my first game due to the objectives, though I killed all but one of my opponent's Space Wolves.

The second game I played was against Guard and I felt kinda bad because it was the players second turn and my dice were rolling really hot. First turn my terminators mulched his large blob of guardsmen with the massive amount of rapid fire storm bolter shots they get combined with the cyclone frag missiles and from there he was very much on the back foot the rest of the game. But he thankfully didn't seem to mind that much and was enjoying the game regardless of the high casualties the guard took.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next months combat patrol event, though I'm probably going to bring a less elite list.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think 40k would be more fun if it was like warcry and you alternated activating units

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

I think 40k would be more fun if it was like warcry and you alternated activating units

Kill Team works that way. How hard could it be to try it out with friends, just use a chit or a piece of paper to mark which units have gone and make sure they don't get more than once activation per phase.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jadebullet posted:

So it was essentially bring a 500pt list that had to be reviewed by the store owner to make sure it was "in the spirit of a combat patrol." (Essentially, making sure noone was bringing stupid powerful poo poo for the purpose of stomping people at the lower points costs)
Was it a combat patrol or a boarding patrol that was like, Abaddon with 10 cultists and 5 legionaries in 9th and it was basically unbeatable in the 500pt format

Edit: found it yeah it was the boarding patrol CSM box, it was Abby, the legionary kill team, and 20 cultists

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 27, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Try it and report back.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nazzadan posted:

Was it a combat patrol or a boarding patrol that was like, Abaddon with 10 cultists and 5 legionaries in 9th and it was basically unbeatable in the 500pt format

Edit: found it yeah it was the boarding patrol CSM box, it was Abby, the legionary kill team, and 20 cultists

I played a beginner / patrol day at my club and a player returning from like 7th ed had bought this box. It was funny watching him walk over people like Darth Vader until the local dickhead with harlies decided to fix his wagon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At which point you take a step back and go "Let them fight".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lostconfused posted:

It might be the cheapest 30k deal for the points, if you proxy the plastic bikes as the resin cousins.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Nazzadan posted:

I just decided to see if this was still able to be done and it is now 10 points too much.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
CSM is chock full of units you don't want to bring to 500pt games

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OctaMurk posted:

This would probably solve a huge number of problems with the game but it'll never happen.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I'm interested in getting into 40k and I've been looking at a few different options for my first army. At the outset, I'm particularly interested in armies that can integrate irregular forces, so I'm thinking of one of the following:

1) Running Imperial Agents attached to one of the following:
a) Death Watch
b) Gray Wolves
c) Imperial Knights
d) Black Templars
e) Raven Guard
f) Iron Hand

2) Genestealer Cults integrating Astra Militarum as Brood Brothers

Any similar options I'm missing or any obvious standouts from among these combinations in terms of synergy?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I think Genestealer Cults can take Tyranid allies as well.

Craftworlds/Dark Eldar/Harlequins?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This time last year i had no one interested in playing warhammer with me.

Now i have fifteen people in my self-started warhammer club.

Thanks guys. :unsmith:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Al-Saqr posted:

This time last year i had no one interested in playing warhammer with me.

Now i have fifteen people in my self-started warhammer club.

Thanks guys. :unsmith:

That's on you, buddy! Great job!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yea, that's awesome, I'm glad to hear it. This is somewhere in Europe, do I have that right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yea, that's awesome, I'm glad to hear it. This is somewhere in Europe, do I have that right?

No saudi arabia.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's so cool, you're doing a great thing, sharing this hobby with people who might never have played it otherwise.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Innocuous posted:

I'm interested in getting into 40k and I've been looking at a few different options for my first army. At the outset, I'm particularly interested in armies that can integrate irregular forces, so I'm thinking of one of the following:

a) Death Watch
b) Gray Wolves
c) Imperial Knights
d) Black Templars
e) Raven Guard
f) Iron Hand

Any similar options I'm missing or any obvious standouts from among these combinations in terms of synergy?

Tau literally have a vassel race of auxilia skirmishers integrated into their Empire called the Kroot, if you're not limiting yourself to human options (or you could convert feral world humans to use as Kroot if you are).

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Every custom sculpt I gently caress up I just say it's a Tau Auxiliary species.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Operation: Get Through These Warp Talons ASAP So I Can Start My World Eaters Army continues, was able to get this guy done "quickly" in a single sitting and I'm happy with it, especially compared to his rough equivalent from the old WT squad. I think I'm getting better at finding my pace/standard for tabletop ready regular infantry.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I bought some used Warp Talons a few years ago from my lgs and they didn't have those bits hanging off the wings. Now I'm kind of miffed about it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Demilich posted:

I bought some used Warp Talons a few years ago from my lgs and they didn't have those bits hanging off the wings. Now I'm kind of miffed about it.
I've got some that I haven't opened yet that I'm going to turn into Raptors so if you really want them I can probably work something out. The one downside is that I'm in Australia so shipping is awful :v:

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I decided to take a new picture of my painted IG collection. I've been adding quite a few units to it this year, and it's starting to get pretty tough to fit everything into one picture.

That's a total of about 3.3k pts worth of mechanised troops and an artillery battery in support. And one squad of Death Corps. :)

I have another ~500 pts worth of Sentinels, heavy weapons squads, stormtroopers and some more artillery platoon infantry left to paint. It's a pretty great feeling when you start to see the end of the backlog. :toot:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Innocuous posted:

a) Death Watch
b) Gray Wolves
c) Imperial Knights
d) Black Templars
e) Raven Guard
f) Iron Hand

Before I settled on CSM I had thought of going space marines of a brand spanking new chapter. The lieutenants/Captain would be painted as Mentors seconded to the new chapter for training purposes, with an attached Inquisitor + retinue to keep an eye them because they were made from traitor geneseed for reasons.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Just stopped by a hobby store and picked up some ww2 half-tracks to turn into trukks.

2 for less than the price of one. The m3lee would make a good killtank too if it's the right size.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Does anyone have a Mechi case? They look pretty slick and seem reasonably priced, I just need to know if the modules can be moved around inside the case or if they're stuck how you order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

Does anyone have a Mechi case? They look pretty slick and seem reasonably priced, I just need to know if the modules can be moved around inside the case or if they're stuck how you order it.

drat, those are cool as poo poo. I don't have an answer for you, but if they're at PAX this weekend I'll ask for both of us.