Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mailer posted:

Assuming the loot chance is all from a global pool (it probably isn't in D2, but I don't know) and it all works down to X% chance of Y drop per hour, that doesn't change the formula. Either solo or group - one is going to be faster. If group is faster, and it will be in D4 due to engagement/cosmetics/general evil, then you still get the original problem of one person wanting bosses to be challenges being matched with someone who wants them to instantly die.

I don't think adding any individual component in from D2/D3/WoW is going to be the magic bullet. Randomly implementing bits out of each in an attempt to appeal to everyone is how we got here to begin with.

it specifically isn't setup like this for the two things i suggested, on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Made it to 60 on a hota barb don't think ill get much further tonight before the xp boost is up but it was just starting to pick up. Just started hitting the point being able to one tap things with berserker up lol

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I played a lot on launch, left hoping for improvements, came back last week. All of the QOL poo poo they've done, and is a lot, is nice and should have been there from the start. I had fun for a bit and I feel like progress is around where it should be to get to the point where you're playing the game which traditionally for an ARPG is the end game.

Why are the Uber bosses a joke? And if they're going to be a joke why gate them so hard, and where is the challenge meant to be that we need their gear for? totally done for now again after my first duriel melted in idk 1.5s after I spent factorials more time farming mats to summon him

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

great big cardboard tube posted:

I played a lot on launch, left hoping for improvements, came back last week. All of the QOL poo poo they've done, and is a lot, is nice and should have been there from the start. I had fun for a bit and I feel like progress is around where it should be to get to the point where you're playing the game which traditionally for an ARPG is the end game.

Why are the Uber bosses a joke? And if they're going to be a joke why gate them so hard, and where is the challenge meant to be that we need their gear for? totally done for now again after my first duriel melted in idk 1.5s after I spent factorials more time farming mats to summon him

they have to gate them because that's what people are farming to try to get ubers (i.e. shako, grandfather, etc.). it would be a lot better if they just let people do runs without requiring mats, but they've gotta keep those annoying rear end timesinks in which is hilarious since some people are saying this is the game for casuals.

imagine having to spend your limited time in the evenings first farming for random rear end varshan parts from whisper events (then doing varshan runs for eggs only after you've managed to collect enough), then also waiting for timed helltide events to get cinders to open enough chests for living steel (then also having to do grig runs for shards, once again only after you've managed to collect enough), and then finally getting to do a duriel run at a chance for guaranteed 925 loot and the super low roll uber chance (with the fight literally over as quickly as 10? 15? secs. if you're a hota barb). afterwards you get to sort through useless 925s (given how many stupid affixes they put in to bloat the loot table), and sell another useless soulbrand, flickerstep, corroded signet, etc.

when all is said and done, if you're lucky with good gear, good rng, and if there's a helltide up during your play session, you're talking a couple hours worth of work to get two chances at duriel loot (assuming your helltide is timed properly with the top of the hour resets to get four living steel chests, and you get exactly all eight of the varshan parts needed without wasted repeats from completing whispers for four varshan runs). that's why everyone is stacking up groups to do duriel rotations so they can get up to 4x the chances per set of summon mats instead.

once you've got great gear though, it's actually more enjoyable to play the game which is ironic because they are really actively trying to not give you good loot and waste your time. you basically can then reliably smash through stuff and farming becomes easier (still boring and stupid that you have to grind for mats).

the above doesn't include leveling your glyphs, which is still really slow and painful. you really need these to get your build to work properly.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have no desire to engage in that aspect of the game lol.

I got my druid to level 88 and I've mostly run out of steam. I might try to get it to 100 just for shits but really once you have your paragon board mostly filled and you're chasing just marginal gear upgrades or perfect rolls it's really just not very compelling after that. Personally as a more casual player I'd love something to engage in beyond levelling glyphs or chasing uber bosses. Hell even if levelling glyphs wasn't so loving tedious it'd be more compelling and engaging. NMDs are so bad.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Playing a hota barb, just got to 100... Been in groups where a barb will clap a boss in one hit...

I did the maxroll build, would anyone recommend doing a different one? I saw the gigaclap and the rob2628 on YouTube.

Honestly, I'm a crap casual so it's probably the real reason.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Anyone playing this on steam deck and getting map menu lag? Whenever I hit the map menu button, the game pauses for anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds before the game catches up. It's at its worst when I first open the map menu for the first time in a session. It's not game breaking but it is inconvenient

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are any of the goon guilds active for doing duriel runs and whatnot? The one I'm in is very much dead it would seem.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Is anyone else playing right now and the helltide just went away? Swear it said 50 some minutes and was only playing for about 10

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

eggrolled posted:

Anyone playing this on steam deck and getting map menu lag? Whenever I hit the map menu button, the game pauses for anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds before the game catches up. It's at its worst when I first open the map menu for the first time in a session. It's not game breaking but it is inconvenient

Myself and one other goon mentioned this occurring on our desktop pcs

It's a weird issue that's affecting a small number of players

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Last King posted:

they have to gate them because that's what people are farming to try to get ubers (i.e. shako, grandfather, etc.). it would be a lot better if they just let people do runs without requiring mats, but they've gotta keep those annoying rear end timesinks in which is hilarious since some people are saying this is the game for casuals.

imagine having to spend your limited time in the evenings first farming for random rear end varshan parts from whisper events (then doing varshan runs for eggs only after you've managed to collect enough), then also waiting for timed helltide events to get cinders to open enough chests for living steel (then also having to do grig runs for shards, once again only after you've managed to collect enough), and then finally getting to do a duriel run at a chance for guaranteed 925 loot and the super low roll uber chance (with the fight literally over as quickly as 10? 15? secs. if you're a hota barb). afterwards you get to sort through useless 925s (given how many stupid affixes they put in to bloat the loot table), and sell another useless soulbrand, flickerstep, corroded signet, etc.

when all is said and done, if you're lucky with good gear, good rng, and if there's a helltide up during your play session, you're talking a couple hours worth of work to get two chances at duriel loot (assuming your helltide is timed properly with the top of the hour resets to get four living steel chests, and you get exactly all eight of the varshan parts needed without wasted repeats from completing whispers for four varshan runs). that's why everyone is stacking up groups to do duriel rotations so they can get up to 4x the chances per set of summon mats instead.

once you've got great gear though, it's actually more enjoyable to play the game which is ironic because they are really actively trying to not give you good loot and waste your time. you basically can then reliably smash through stuff and farming becomes easier (still boring and stupid that you have to grind for mats).

the above doesn't include leveling your glyphs, which is still really slow and painful. you really need these to get your build to work properly.

harrygomm posted:

drat yall really think like this?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
but yeah it'd probably be better if they just removed the gating of precursor mats to summon the boss and just reduced the drop rate of the items to compensate for people chain running the boss

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yea man most people do.

Having some summon mats isn't so bad, if it isn't time gated and you can just hop on and get a key or w.e, it's this artificial lengthen the playtime and get people to log in another day to complete it that's a nuisance.

flashman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 27, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like that every activity makes progress toward a different thing but there's a noticeable disruption to the flow when it comes to Glyph XP

Frankly if every NMD just gave literally twice as much Glyph XP it would be fine

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Just picked this up on black friday and are people really complaining about having to grind for mats and gear? In Diablo? That's what you signed up for, you're just not a teenager with unlimited free time anymore. Like yeah the monetization parts are lovely and predatory but the core is still the same thing as always: grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear, forever and ever, such is Diablo.

That said it's pretty boring so far. The grinding has to at least be engaging.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
idk I think dungeons themselves just aren't that fun even outside of the reward.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

EC posted:

Yeah we tried it today and I can't even tell what's one shotting me in the second phase. It sucks!
for a company that's made the most successful mmo of all time which includes raid bosses with mechanics, they sure did a real fuckin bad job of making it at all possible to know whats going on.

Doctor Syrup posted:

Just picked this up on black friday and are people really complaining about having to grind for mats and gear? In Diablo? That's what you signed up for, you're just not a teenager with unlimited free time anymore. Like yeah the monetization parts are lovely and predatory but the core is still the same thing as always: grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear, forever and ever, such is Diablo.

it's the grinding for mats to grind for gear that sucks rear end. i'm happy to grind bosses, i'm not happy to grind for mats to grind bosses.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Are any of the goon guilds active for doing duriel runs and whatnot? The one I'm in is very much dead it would seem.

def. are some folks who are doing this on seasons, eternal not so much minus myself i think at this point.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor Syrup posted:

This is the first Diablo to tell you "sorry, you logged in at the wrong time to grind mats"

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Glyph XP not shared between characters, on seasons, where they boost the leveling XP :discourse:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tarnop posted:

This is the first Diablo to tell you "sorry, you logged in at the wrong time to grind mats"

This is only applicable to Helltide, yeah?

I agree Helltide needs to have 100% uptime instead of 50% or whatever it is now. And Cinders need to be preserved. Also boost Helltide enemy density 100% since sometimes it is just truly barren out there

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is only applicable to Helltide, yeah?

I agree Helltide needs to have 100% uptime instead of 50% or whatever it is now. And Cinders need to be preserved. Also boost Helltide enemy density 100% since sometimes it is just truly barren out there

It is, yeah. Those would be welcome changes.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

harrygomm posted:

but yeah it'd probably be better if they just removed the gating of precursor mats to summon the boss and just reduced the drop rate of the items to compensate for people chain running the boss

I did like 800 runs and only ended up getting 2 uber uniques, no thank you on lower rates. already skipping the next league because I wanted to minmax for the upcoming event but apparently god himself has told me no.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

I did like 800 runs and only ended up getting 2 uber uniques, no thank you on lower rates. already skipping the next league because I wanted to minmax for the upcoming event but apparently god himself has told me no.

:edit: please tell me one of those two was a shako.

yeap it's real poo poo. and you know why they can get away with this kinda crap?

Doctor Syrup posted:

are people really complaining about having to grind for mats and gear? In Diablo? That's what you signed up for, you're just not a teenager with unlimited free time anymore. Like yeah the monetization parts are lovely and predatory but the core is still the same thing as always: grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear so you can grind for better gear, forever and ever.

harrygomm posted:

drat yall really think like this?

the brain worms are strong in many, many people (goons included).

having to now grind for mats just to grind for gear on runs.
having to now also deal with timed windows to grind for those same mats.

apparently they can keep piling poo poo on top of poo poo, and people will just open their mouths, swallow, and ask for more.

Last King fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 28, 2023

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Last King posted:

:edit: please tell me one of those two was a shako.

yeap it's real poo poo. and you know why they can get away with this kinda crap?

it was andarials, twice

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tonetta posted:

it was andarials, twice

800 runs man dude. Talk about grinding!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tonetta posted:

it was andarials, twice

At least you can trade the extra for the one you really were looking for

Doctor Syrup posted:

You know the thing is though I just played the d2r season and in a few weeks of an hour(ish) a day I built out three characters had a bunch of fancy rune words and generally conquered three builds. I am not really sure that there is near such a grind as you call it despite super low drop rates on things.

flashman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2023

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

800 runs man dude. Talk about grinding!

yeah it was way more than I intended to do, but you can buy duriel sets for ~20 mil right now and had a couple bil just sitting on the character. I'm never doing that grind again fr though, whoever was saying 2% was the drop rate is full of poo poo or I'm just the unluckiest person ever

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How long did each attempt take do you figure

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It takes longer to ride to the dungeon than it does to kill Duriel once you get to a certain point

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

flashman posted:

How long did each attempt take do you figure

good groups can get a rota in every 5 minutes and bad ones every 10-15. good groups usually stuck together so it's probably an 80/20 split on time, meaning I burned like 20 or so hours just on the boss itself.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah really without the mat farming that's well low enough drop rates (even if you got unlucky as hell you should get something of value in a couple of hours of farming)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh my god lolllll

Next time I feel like Whiny Posts are getting on my nerves, I'm gonna remind myself that people might be dealing with insane luck-outlier stuff like "no good drops from 800 runs". god drat, that would break me

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tonetta posted:

yeah it was way more than I intended to do, but you can buy duriel sets for ~20 mil right now and had a couple bil just sitting on the character. I'm never doing that grind again fr though, whoever was saying 2% was the drop rate is full of poo poo or I'm just the unluckiest person ever

I always assumed that when I see selling eggs or shards in the trade chat they are requesting RMT

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I did one Duriel rota for a total of 16 runs. After sorting through all the loot I got barely any improvements to my gear and I'm still not full of 925 gear. It took ages to sort through all the loot afterwards and midway through the rota I had to clear out a whole stash tab of aspects for one of my other characters so I wasn't holding the group up for too long while figuring what loot was trash.

Kinda killed any momentum I had to keep grinding for a bit.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Okay yeah this part sucks.

flashman posted:

You know the thing is though I just played the d2r season and in a few weeks of an hour(ish) a day I built out three characters had a bunch of fancy rune words and generally conquered three builds. I am not really sure that there is near such a grind as you call it despite super low drop rates on things.

Generally conquered is kind of relative to each player though. You could always keep going for that gear with just a few more optimal stat rolls or that rune to craft another better rune, and so on. But then again D2 is just better in a lot of ways, including not being bloated with a bunch of extra bullshit to try and make you spend more money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doctor Syrup posted:

bloated with a bunch of extra bullshit to try and make you spend more money.

Where do you see this?

I don't mean it in a disagreeable / argumentative way, just strictly curious what you are encountering

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where do you see this?

I don't mean it in a disagreeable / argumentative way, just strictly curious what you are encountering

The shop selling skins for $20+.
The battle pass and special battle pass for extra bucks that gives you mostly skins.

It doesn't bother me personally but it's fairly egregious for a $70 game.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

I always assumed that when I see selling eggs or shards in the trade chat they are requesting RMT

oh it's still rmt, just with extra steps. prices before bots were upwards to like 120mil a set, the bots and dupers swooped in and thats where the bulk sellers are coming from. the gold gets then sold off to whoever, typically just so they can buy more duper/bot farmed duriel sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Next campfire was announced.

https://x.com/Diablo/status/1729208451564253626?s=20