Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Non Compos Mentis posted:

kirk would have tried to gently caress the crystalline entity

Freaky Deaky, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do the Romulans have the vulcan super strength?

naem
May 29, 2011

Sedgr posted:

Romulans and Vulcans being genetically distinct doesn't make a whole lot of sense but there are a couple scenarios that work. One being that Romulans and Vulcans are more like Neanderthals and modern humans but they had a shared society that eventually collapsed and separated rather than an extinction. Another possibility being that since genetic manipulation is something that several races have utilised it makes a certain amount of sense that something similar happened with the Vulcans and Romulans. Since Vulcans are shown to have increased strength and abilities maybe they were the result of intentional tampering. Vulcan and Romulus having a big break over genetic manipulation resulting in a cultural divide that ends up with Romulus super suspicious and Vulcans being pretty isolationist themselves while conveniently forgetting anything they'd rather not think about. Would explain why Vulcans were so cautious around humans at first as well since having just come out of a eugenics war and maintaining human emotion, humans would seem to have taken the Romulan path that the Vulcans specifically dropped for Surak and logic.

this kind of speculation and discussion is my absolute favorite thing about star trek

I think Romulans are shown as above average strength the time travel snw fight scene

Vulcans meeting post apocalypse newly ftl capable earthlings and deciding to take us under their wing as pets sidekicks controllable rubes and shock troops, basically the Gem Hadar but for galactic diplomacy F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is remarkable

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Do the Romulans have the vulcan super strength?

In my slashfics yes, in regular canon I’m not sure

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

this kind of speculation and discussion is my absolute favorite thing about star trek

I think Romulans are shown as above average strength the time travel snw fight scene

Vulcans meeting post apocalypse newly ftl capable earthlings and deciding to take us under their wing as pets sidekicks controllable rubes and shock troops, basically the Gem Hadar but for galactic diplomacy F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is remarkable

That's my fanfic! That the Vulcans use humanity as their military, basically, and specifically in hostilities with the Romulans.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Vulcan 1 to humans: "Under no circumstances go to this sector of space. It is highly dangerous, and rife with hostile species and strange phenomena."
Vulcan 2: "The humans are likely to disregard your warnings. And if they do so, it is likely that they will end up in conflict with the Romulans. Should we not-"
Vulcan 1: "At this point, silence is logical."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought the big difference biologically is that romulans aren't really telepaths.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i thought the big difference biologically is that romulans aren't really telepaths.

Weird cuz their foreheads are bigger

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

romulans got all the looks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

And their shoulder pads.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

They just forgot. Like how the vulcans did until ENT timeframe.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gutcruncher posted:

The extra head bones interfere with the telepathy.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

That's my fanfic! That the Vulcans use humanity as their military, basically, and specifically in hostilities with the Romulans.

from the Vulcan perspective, humans have provided a safety buffer between them and the dangers of the wider galaxy.

Humans live less than half as long as they do and are friendly and eager to please (like dogs basically)

humans are intelligent enough, with a few nudges in the right direction, to pick up new technologies, enough to keep ships running at least

as long as a vulcan or two tag along as “science officers” to keep tabs it’s a pretty good return on investment.

They can send Spock the half human to keep him out of everyone’s hair back home, or T’Pol with her obvious and distasteful human fetish.

Vulcans probably didn’t expect human diplomacy aka the power of friendship to be so incredibly effective and the humies have outpaced Vulcans in a lot of ways. You have to wonder what their contingency plan is if we become a threat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enterprise has an alternative take where one of the Vulcans eventually admits they're actually scared shitless of humans.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MikeJF posted:

Enterprise has an alternative take where one of the Vulcans eventually admits they're actually scared shitless of humans.

If I recall it's like Nog telling Quark about human financial history - by their standards, humans catch on to poo poo dangerously fast

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Squiggle posted:

If I recall it's like Nog telling Quark about human financial history - by their standards, humans catch on to poo poo dangerously fast

No, it's because we remind them of themselves.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

from the Vulcan perspective, humans have provided a safety buffer between them and the dangers of the wider galaxy.

Humans live less than half as long as they do and are friendly and eager to please (like dogs basically)

humans are intelligent enough, with a few nudges in the right direction, to pick up new technologies, enough to keep ships running at least

as long as a vulcan or two tag along as “science officers” to keep tabs it’s a pretty good return on investment.

They can send Spock the half human to keep him out of everyone’s hair back home, or T’Pol with her obvious and distasteful human fetish.

Vulcans probably didn’t expect human diplomacy aka the power of friendship to be so incredibly effective and the humies have outpaced Vulcans in a lot of ways. You have to wonder what their contingency plan is if we become a threat

Too late to do anything about it now. They'd have had to put humanity in the box somewhere after Enterprise time frame for them to have a chance.

They're just lucky we are like dogs. Eager to please! And fetch! Sometimes bitey, sorry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Squiggle posted:

that kind of fits in with the bajoran timeline where they had 500,000 years of civilisation before inventing warp travel compared to humanity's 20,000.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Too late to do anything about it now. They'd have had to put humanity in the box somewhere after Enterprise time frame for them to have a chance.

They're just lucky we are like dogs. Eager to please! And fetch! Sometimes bitey, sorry.

humans are the Gem Hadar but for diplomacy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

humans are the Gem Hadar but for diplomacy

But also blowing poo poo up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jem and the Hadargrams

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

naem posted:

Romulans are just territorial and independent

Like Germany!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Squiggle posted:

Five thousand, ten thousand? What difference does it make? The speed of technological advancement isn't nearly as important as short-term quarterly gains.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

naem posted:

The ENT perspective is that, Vulcans spent about 1000+ years getting their poo poo together, going from a blisteringly violent species to eventually becoming peaceful and tentatively exploring the galaxy.

Humans meanwhile, went from catastrophe to post scarcity utopia in under 100 years, and already have a Warp 5 capable starship, so the Vulcans are very rightly very, very nervous of what on Earth we could do next.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

alexandriao posted:

The ENT perspective is that, Vulcans spent about 1000+ years getting their poo poo together, going from a blisteringly violent species to eventually becoming peaceful and tentatively exploring the galaxy.

Humans meanwhile, went from catastrophe to post scarcity utopia in under 100 years, and already have a Warp 5 capable starship, so the Vulcans are very rightly very, very nervous of what on Earth we could do next.

Not only post scarcity but have now developed a philosophy that everyone should work toward the goal of the betterment of the species and the betterment of themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hollismason posted:

Not only post scarcity but have now developed a philosophy that everyone should work toward the goal of the betterment of the species and the betterment of themselves.

Nog voice: what does that mean, exactly?

It means that we don't need money.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arc Hammer posted:

Nog voice: what does that mean, exactly?

It means that we don't need money.

They literally have this exchange in the baseball card episode where Nog is like "So you need my money"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

They literally have this exchange in the baseball card episode where Nog is like "So you need my money"

Ah, The Great Material Continuum.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I like the idea that humanity is Like That because they're also scared of themselves after WW3 so they make sure that nobody is ever wanting and they have lots and lots of other species friends to hold them accountable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean yeah sure the betterment of society and of themselves but Picards family owns a loving vineyard in France.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

I mean yeah sure the betterment of society and of themselves but Picards family owns a loving vineyard in France.

How are you supposed to better yourself without mid wine to get blitzed off of

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Probably for exactly as long as they can be responsible stewards of it

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Requiring you to do manual vineyard labor drastically limits the demand for vineyard ownership

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PIC did establish that nobody else wanted it before Picard's dad moved the family back to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It makes no sense! How do they even get laborers if there is no money.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

For the satisfaction of spending days in the field (or mines)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Some people like to do things they couldn't if they needed money to live

They may also get first dibs on wine, and the view is nice

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Given the amount of fiction written about people wanting to just go retire to a farm or something you think you couldn't find a dozen people who'd want to just do vinyard things?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MikeJF posted:

PIC did establish that nobody else wanted it before Picard's dad moved the family back to it.

Everybody there could hear voices in the walls, almost like a collective of ghosts reaching out to them. It's said to have driven some residents insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Humans in the future are pretty much humans of today but with some husky genes spliced in so that they love working for the sake of it.