Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i like Doomguy Frieren as much as reflective, atmospheric Frieren. i am extremely powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

symbolic posted:

i like Doomguy Frieren as much as reflective, atmospheric Frieren. i am extremely powerful

:same:

Frieren the slayer getting mom'd easily by Fern

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

this allusion meant posted:

like it's not clear how old she is when she encounters Flamme, but the village stuff seems traumatizing and she doesn't seem to spend too much time with anyone at all after that; that sort of reframes the mindset she has going into the journey with Himmel.

Yeah it kind of is implied she lived in the village with the elves for ???? years, then trained under Flamme, then just chilled in the woods until Himmel showed up. I guess that kinda puts the other elf guy's line of "oh, she beat the demon lord? what else?" into perspective. I'm guessing that not many elves take the "chill in the woods for several hundred years" route (ironic compared to how elves tend to be portrayed in media)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Train in secret for 1000 years as a Demon seeking missile is Flammes secret plan, and it works because only Frieren would have that ember of eternal rage to commit a lifetime to that goal, while also being chill enough to accomplish that level of patience.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah it kind of is implied she lived in the village with the elves for ???? years, then trained under Flamme, then just chilled in the woods until Himmel showed up. I guess that kinda puts the other elf guy's line of "oh, she beat the demon lord? what else?" into perspective. I'm guessing that not many elves take the "chill in the woods for several hundred years" route (ironic compared to how elves tend to be portrayed in media)

they did take that route, otherwise no one would ever still hang out in the village where they discovered jerking it three thousand years ago once they learn enough skills to make it out. chilling out is extremely cool and good. my read on that is that 1) the loss of elf settlements changed everything; Frieren is more socially dislocated to this day than was immediately obvious and 2) elves operate on extremely weird social time, like i'm not sure how to best explain it but they seem like they have different norms around getting a joke after it was supposed to land if you know what i mean. it's not that defeating the demon lord is unimportant or whatever but that patterns over a long time seem to characterize elves to each other rather than a more discrete feat-based method for humans. the monk did some great things many ages ago and far away, and no one who remembers it is alive anywhere he goes, and this solitary journey with eternity means if he can't be with other elves, only the goddess can help him pin his life down in concrete time. but Frieren has her after-quest followup route for now; plenty of time for the terror of eternity later

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

symbolic posted:

:yeah:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm a fan of fashionista Frieren

https://twitter.com/colin_5683/status/1722853149663531014#m
https://twitter.com/colin_5683/status/1726109674200859066#m

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Dungeon Meshi already proved that taking your cast from a fantasy world and putting them all in modern, fashionable clothes will end up looking incredible. :hmmyes:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

symbolic posted:

:emptyquote:

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah man, i guess i can understand people who don't like shonen fights feeling like that arc was a waste of time but both modes of the show seem great to me

frieren can be a kindly old granny, and a useless lazy bum, and the only thing they fear without compromising any of those

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

:same:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Amen

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
100% Completion is the only playstyle

No sidequest will be left undone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oh no.
I agree.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

The mimic you walk past will end up being the one with the best treasure in the end, why risk it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Technically, Frieren is assuming that it's not actually a mimic. Just a regular ol' chest with a powerful grimoire in it which messes with mimic detection magic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Listen, the chance to find a spell that threads your shoelaces for you is absolutely worth a run-in with a mimic.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I was gonna say - powerful grimoire? She'd do it for a fake Flamme grimoire without any real spells in it just in case

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frenny has a pocket dimension, right? She doesn't seem to have a home base and she's a hoarder.
I assume that's where her staff goes, and she's just retrieving it from atop a huge junk pile stored in pocket space.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

her suitcase can hold as much useless crap as she wants, she's a wizard

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And she stores that somewhere, too. She only carries it when she feels like it.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I don't think it's ever been explicitly explained, even in the manga, but all mages seem to be able to do the trick where they summon their wizard staff into their hand at will

so yeah probably something like that, since the staff is a physical object

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Mages in this world have limitless power unless it involves not freezing to death in a blizzard or shortcutting minor inconveniences

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sharkmafia posted:

I don't think it's ever been explicitly explained, even in the manga, but all mages seem to be able to do the trick where they summon their wizard staff into their hand at will

so yeah probably something like that, since the staff is a physical object

Ultimately doesn't matter, so I get why they don't go into it. I just like all the little examples of Freiren being a lazy slob and my headcanon has Fern's pocket space being immaculate and Frieren's being a biohazard.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Talorat posted:

Mages in this world have limitless power unless it involves not freezing to death in a blizzard or shortcutting minor inconveniences

Frieren just knows that "Keep warm in blizzard" grimoire is hidden in one of those chest that detect as Mimic.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this week's episode ruled, teared up at the reveal after frieren cooked hamburg steak for stark

i prefer the reflective stories to the shounen ones but they're still good and fun battle shounen so it doesn't put me off that much

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

this allusion meant posted:

i don't know that very many people are that into the doom guy aspect of it. like maybe the music choices imply that, but my feelings about those episodes (esp. meeting the elf monk afterwards) is that they show not Frieren having no relationship with humans she spent time with, but rather a long process of working through how she's affected by them that doesn't have any easy fix in the post-elf world (besides taking the time to process everything and then going to heaven). like it's not clear how old she is when she encounters Flamme, but the village stuff seems traumatizing and she doesn't seem to spend too much time with anyone at all after that; that sort of reframes the mindset she has going into the journey with Himmel. you also have to kind of pick at bits of info from the Lugner fight but when you combine it with the Qual bit there's some insight into how she's raising Fern as well

there's a very easy to miss detail back in one of the memories in the early episodes when Frieren mentions maybe being the only one left who remembers Flamme's face: Himmel's mouth opens with a realization as he listens silently in the back. a lot of what he does is funny on the face of it, but putting statues everywhere and wanting to be remembered turns out to be part of a more high minded pattern of behavior at least partly shaped by this. something about his unrequited feelings towards this ageless woman and her sometimes wistful recollection of a legendary historical figure was forged into a memento over the course of ten years, and eighty years later, she's gotten around to looking at it

beautifully written, i hadn't recalled that detail but that's a very nice narrative thread. i'll be rewatching a lot of these eps eventually

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I like the Doomguy Frieren parts a lot because those moments with her descending down, eclipsing the moon, the blood of her enemies evaporating into nothing, a choir chanting in the backgroundl; that's all Frieren from the demon's perspective. And that isn't Frieren, it's a ruse a thousand+ years in the making. It's how a demon would expect a strong mage to behave, and it prevents them from suspecting that Frieren is much older, much stronger, much more devious, and much more resolute in her goals than they think.

I think the tone of the rest of the show that makes it work, if Demon Slayer tried the exact same thing I'd probably just be rolling my eyes.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I still think I inadvertently found the temp score for this scene.

That flashback has to pre-Himmel-influence. Like that maybe even is the inciting event for him to tell her to chill out a bit. Don't need the whole army coming down on them because she single-handedly wiped two battalions.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 29, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ranzear posted:

That flashback has to pre-Himmel-influence. Like that maybe even is the inciting event for him to tell her to chill out a bit. Don't need the whole army coming down on them because she single-handedly wiped two battalions.

.....what about the Hero Party lead you to believe they'd consider that a bad thing?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the analysis and redesign of zoltraak is a post-journey set of events, and any event where Lügner gets hit by it is even later. i don’t actually understand how to reconcile this with Frieren not knowing anything about a magic use regulation and certification body of at least 50 years. all the research was set up and accelerated in the first twenty years and she just kept getting the journal articles sent over? didn’t skim the org meeting notes included in the printed compendium? minor worldbuilding/continuity concerns about the process of scientific research collaboration and distribution in this setting

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
She fronted it and then wandered off to let the humans do their own speedy thing because she's tired and there's a funky book over there. Then came back to learn it, solely focused on that task, and then ran off again because someone recognized her and flipped. And then multiple people mentioned the certification body and she's like, "Uh-huh, I already did that, this chest is definitely safe to open, right?"

Frieren:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, why would she need to take an exam? She already got her holy emblem just 500 years ago!

Guess everyone just took it as read that she was qualified and never asked her for her documents. I mean, how often do interviewers ask internationally renowned academics for a copy of their degree certificate?

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Frieren works on timescales such that she could help with zoltraak research or take a holiday to kill a couple hundred demons as a treat and still have spent most of her time putzing around by herself and falling out of touch

its easy to forget because frieren kind of forces the viewer into her unique frame of reference but fifty years is a pretty long time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Frieren is interested in learning spells from people she meets but not in keeping up with the bureaucracy they expect wizards to undertake

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Some elves have no problem keeping up with certifications because they manage the program.