Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't like the new Ashton VA, gimmie back the old guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kale posted:

Star Ocean II's original dub kind of remains the benchmark in that category for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSv4RvWLH68
Comparison of the English redub which is mostly fine and Japanese dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0PTwOz6CAY
Compilation of character battle quotes from "old faithful" PSX 1999 dub. For some reason some of the samples in the game were even left in Japanese that I recall it was that much of a rush job. Seem to recall Tractor Beam just being the JP voice sample for Rena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSv4RvWLH68&t=70s
Just out of curiosity, for anyone that has actually played the game, who is saying the line "If you want to pick a fight you'd best choose your opponents more carefully"? The JP dub voiceover sounds like Aya Endo, but it's the only clip in the video where I can't really pick out who is supposed to be saying the line. It comes right after Gabriel in the sequence, so I almost want to guess it's a super boss like Iseria Queen or something like that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the tiny linked maps in vc2&3 worked better than the giant maps in 1&4. deployment from camps was instant, so you could pop a low mobility class out as needed for their specialized tasks instead of driving them around in an apc. the giant maps only really worked for scouts.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The Star Ocean 2 remakes voice acting is fine during cutscenes but the way they say special moves makes it significantly worse that the original English voice acting for me. It sounds like they were directed to do their special move call outs with the exact same timing and inflection for each move. This is not great when you're going to be hearing these callouts very frequently!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Knuckle Sandwich really is a lot isn't it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

buddychrist10 posted:

The Star Ocean 2 remakes voice acting is fine during cutscenes but the way they say special moves makes it significantly worse that the original English voice acting for me. It sounds like they were directed to do their special move call outs with the exact same timing and inflection for each move. This is not great when you're going to be hearing these callouts very frequently!

Holey. Moley.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the tiny linked maps in vc2&3 worked better than the giant maps in 1&4. deployment from camps was instant, so you could pop a low mobility class out as needed for their specialized tasks instead of driving them around in an apc. the giant maps only really worked for scouts.

the tiny maps were a technical compromise that I get why 4 reverted even if yeah some maps are too big, but walking back on generally seen as positive developments like class builds was disappointing

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I honestly have to wonder if the Remakes dubbing is bad on purpose, cause it really feels like they're shooting for that era of PS1 voice acting where they'd literally just get randos off the street who happened to speak English for their English language track. Not gonna lie, I find it kind of charming, but I definitely am someone with a "So bad it's good" mindset for a lot of things so I get why others would be put off by it.
Trials' dub is bad even in the original language so i sadly think they did not have this much forethought and actually the game just had no budget lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I haven't played the other games yet, but it was kinda funny in 1 how much better scouts were than literally every other class, especially if you were going for high rankings

Did they make it more even in the other games? It sounds like if the mobility was still an issue in 4 then it was probably still a thing.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just finished Mario RPG Remake last night, including ~4 postgame bosses before I decided I wanted to clear up a bit of memory space and Archived the game (Jinx and Jonathan were particularly fun as focused tests of system mastery). Really loved the way they treated the stage play / theater framing that threads all the way through the game, and the revamped parade epilogue was absolutely fantastic! Overall, it's a solid enjoyable 7/10 game for me, just like the Star Ocean 2 remake, but the nostalgia value absolutely pushed it to the highlight of November.

I don't think Princess Peach Showtime has the same primary devs, but I am probably going to be comparing it with Mario RPG in terms of how they execute game-as-stage-play framing. I also find myself tempted to revisit some of the half-started Paper Mario games on my console... Origami King had very rewarding exploration, from what I recall.

Since we're getting pretty close to the end of the year, I decided to glance at the Misao award nominations for 2023. Looks like there's something like 250 nominees so far, and November/December often have big flurries of submissions, so I wouldn't be surprised if people are voting on a pool of 300 or so potentially excellent RPG Maker games when the actual voting starts. Highlights from just glancing over it:
- Hymn to the Earless God has already been mentioned in this thread. I have not tried the demo, but it certainly looks neat.
- Auld Lang Syne: Cat and Mouse is a free Granblue fangame. Looks like they put a fair amount of effort into it, and I know there's some neat plugins that let people port GBF mechanics into RPG Maker out there.
- Echoes of the Scourge is an MZ project, short horror RPG where you gotta watch out for your corruption meter or the main character will Morb out for a while... which might be situationally useful.
- aunt EMILY looks like they are trying to do some kind of lifesim/murder investigation with an Earthbound style.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 28, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kale posted:

Star Ocean II's original dub kind of remains the benchmark in that category for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSv4RvWLH68
Comparison of the English redub which is mostly fine and Japanese dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0PTwOz6CAY
Compilation of character battle quotes from "old faithful" PSX 1999 dub. For some reason some of the samples in the game were even left in Japanese that I recall it was that much of a rush job. Seem to recall Tractor Beam just being the JP voice sample for Rena.

I thought the English dubbing was new to SO2R, but I found out it's actually reused from the PSP port (Second Evolution).

You can actually tell this is the case in the scene where Claude gets teleported back to the Calnus, because in the PSP version, it's an animated cutscene, and since the dialog overlaps, it obviously couldn't be clipped properly.

The scene in SO2SE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqZw2CJy1k&t=1845s
The scene in SO2R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbAFGOkIITM&t=2925s

From what I read, the other dub options are both Japanese, with one being the SO2SE JP dub, and the new SO2R JP dub that features the cast from the original PS1 JP dub.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
HERE'S MR ENEMY as my voice changes pitches as many times as there are words in this post

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

HERE'S MR ENEMY as my voice changes pitches as many times as there are words in this post

B U R N (sounds like it was recorded in the actor’s car with his windows down mid-drive)

I also don’t know what in the gently caress Claude’s PS1 actor thought he was trying to do on Dragon Howl, but it’s great

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Whatever we gained in the new dub for SO2, the loss of O.G. Decus/Michael will be mourned.

Yes Decus, I am quite cold.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc2NXE1ZyyI

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is a pretty good game, but at some point it just became hours of save scumming to try and get OP upgrades for characters to use in future campaigns. It's another game where the hard difficulties are pretty RNG heavy on stuff like hit/miss chance, so you need to go hard.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
It got mentioned a few pages ago but please try CrossCode if you're in any way a fan of action RPGs. It's extremely challenging and a little bit grindy if you want to see everything, but man it's so well designed. The final dungeon sequence of the DLC is one of the best designed gauntlets I've seen in gaming as a whole, it's just fantastic. Highly recommended.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Slowly getting back into Star Ocean 2 R, and I was wondering about SO3, its twist of the entire universe up till now apparently is a computer simulation (granted this is second hand so I likely may have got things wrong) and how the games after it deal with that, if at all?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Slowly getting back into Star Ocean 2 R, and I was wondering about SO3, its twist of the entire universe up till now apparently is a computer simulation (granted this is second hand so I likely may have got things wrong) and how the games after it deal with that, if at all?

Easy; No game is set after SO3

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Easy; No game is set after SO3

lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

HampHamp posted:

It got mentioned a few pages ago but please try CrossCode if you're in any way a fan of action RPGs. It's extremely challenging and a little bit grindy if you want to see everything, but man it's so well designed. The final dungeon sequence of the DLC is one of the best designed gauntlets I've seen in gaming as a whole, it's just fantastic. Highly recommended.

I second this but also be aware that it is basically an entire game of (more difficult) Zelda dungeons. The dungeons are dungeons and the overworld is also dungeons. There are a lot of puzzles, is what I’m getting at. Forewarned is forearmed!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not like star ocean continuity is particularly important

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Finally got to the class change in my second run of Trials of Mana SFC, so now the game is starting to get a bit more interesting with what I can do beyond pressing the A button and occasionally the B button. One thing I really appreciate about the remake is the retooled level curve making the class change happen much earlier, as well as the characters having abilities independent of class changing to give them more variety and use prior to the change.

I gotta say, even though having Charlotte is a serious dip in damage ability for any physically oriented party, it is so nice to just be able to pop open the ring menu and fully heal the whole team in between every battle once she class changes. And for what it's worth, throw a Saber on her and her class strike still does pretty solid damage so it's not like she doesn't contribute at all. I'm also on the Kevin/Charlotte story path so I know she becomes an instant win button for the story specific dungeon if you have her go Light-Light.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HampHamp posted:

The game is a puzzle platformer first and JRPG a very distant second. I gave up somewhere relatively far in from sheer exhaustion when a dungeon revealed yet another room spanning puzzle gauntlet. The entire game is one non-stop puzzle dungeon with no real reprieve.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I didn't even know the Secret of Mana 3 game in the Collection was a remake. I thought they just slapped a translation on it and released it as is. Even after the remake it still has all the horrible slowdown?

My last memory of that game was playing it on emulator and using frameskip hotkeys every time I went into the menus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An important thing to remember about Star Ocean continuity is that they have the Prime Directive because Edge Maverick travelled to another dimension where he ended up in Roswell New Mexico and rescued a catgirl before accidentally that other dimension to destroy the entire Earth and then when back to his own dimension where he felt bad about it for a bit but everyone told him it was dumb to feel bad about some genocide.

Rascyc posted:

I didn't even know the Secret of Mana 3 game in the Collection was a remake. I thought they just slapped a translation on it and released it as is. Even after the remake it still has all the horrible slowdown?

My last memory of that game was playing it on emulator and using frameskip hotkeys every time I went into the menus

It isn't.

There is Trials of Mana (SD3 on the SNES) in the collection and Trials of Mana Remake, available separately. Trials of Mana was never available outside of a fan translation prior to both the remake and collection being announced which is where the Trials of Mana name was given to it. It's a super weird case of an offical translation and remake both being done at the same time.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

Rascyc posted:

When I say the Remake, I mean specifically the HD game made in 2020 which is essentially a completely new game. (And as a novel concept, is actually an action RPG) The Collection of Mana version is indeed just the original with a translation, with only half the mechanics actually working and all.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

other than Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja.
i think one genre of jrpgs that I never really tried was those dungeon crawler ones where each time you make an action (walk one tile, or attack) the enemy moves one step as well. and one of the dangers is trying to not get cornered

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

those are "mystery dungeons", and yes they are good as hell. Shiren 5 and PMD Explorers of Sky are probs the best ones, but I remember liking Izuna

if you like "mystery dungeon" maybe you would also enjoy the exciting new "roguelike". online covens of rustic weirdos can tell you more. there is one here

for about a year now Shiren 5 has been the Forever Game I dip back into in between other games. can't say enough nice things about it. it's $10 right now!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like Fatal Labyrinth a lot

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
It's worth mentioning that Mystery Dungeons are a (mostly console-specific) subset of the Roguelike genre, which has existed for decades. There are a lot of free and open-source Roguelikes you can try - Rogue being the originator, of course, but I'd recommend "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup" for a modern free RL that still has the spirit of the older games too.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I haven't played the other games yet, but it was kinda funny in 1 how much better scouts were than literally every other class, especially if you were going for high rankings

Did they make it more even in the other games? It sounds like if the mobility was still an issue in 4 then it was probably still a thing.

Because of the small size of maps in VC2 and VC3, there's only so much ground scouts can cover before needing to swap to a new map which balances them a little bit. In VC2, a combination of orders costing way too much, the map size, and most importantly, fencers being unstoppable killing machines, scouts felt a bit more balanced. VC3 introduced some extremely vertical maps though that make scout movement good again, especially with Riela's Valkyrie invulnerability. But the mission types in 3 are varied enough that scouts aren't always the answer.

VC4 introduced Grenadiers and several mission types that make it impossible to scout rush and also didn't give you a scout with as much crossfire defense buff as the first game until much later. So it made an effort to make you set up the scout rush instead of just going for it from the get go.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children: stop teasing me with all these other guest troubleshooters I can't equip! I have fire gear that Hero Irene would love! I know I'm still pretty early on but I'm getting annoyed with these guests who won't join my company because Albus is too oblivious to say something.

Fun game otherwise, though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Shiren 5 is really great. Definitely something you play for the gameplay rather than the story, but the gameplay is perfect.

It also has the rescue system, which is a mechanic more games should steal. When you die you can put out a rescue request, and someone else can pick it up to go through the same dungeon you did (same random seed, so the layout and items will all be identical) and if they reach where you died they can save you and you get to continue. New players get a buffer to help with the harder bits, experienced players get a reason to replay the dungeons they’ve already cleared, and you get a nice sense of community out of the shared struggle.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

After getting completely stonewalled by the final boss’s last phase in Astlibra due to just not being able to do enough damage, and playing around with respecs, finding more movement abilities, and the optional bosses, I think I get why I don’t gel with the combat for the most part.

It seems like the stronger weapons you get, the heavier they are. And a heavy weapon makes for sloth-slow swings (like two seconds to even swing). For me, that just feels real, real bad in a game where bosses start going Touhou while also having esoteric hitboxes on top of that. But the one stat that can lower the weight limit is speed and boy you have to stack the gently caress out of that stat at the expense of other stats.

Now the character feels like Adol from Ys, blending through normal enemies quickly with the precision saved for the bosses which.. may have been the objective all along? But I also felt like a lot of even basic enemies had way, way too much HP so a lot of areas turned out to be slogs until this chapter where the weapons start getting drastically more powerful than the earlier parts of the game. In short, I see it finally starting to come together, I just wish it wasn’t on the literal final story chapter for me

MechaX fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 28, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Weight is a pretty clearly visible stat, and new weapon tiers generally have a push/pull between "weak but light" weapons and "slow but strong" weapons. All weapons do get heavier as you advance, but that's because you have more skill points to invest to keep up. There's an intended tension between how slow you're willing to swing your weapon to bump your other stats more, and builds that are more focused on magic damage or weapon techniques can often get away with less raw swing speed.

To me this feels like going "I'm doing no damage and the game feels bad. Also my strength stat is zero and I've never experimented with raising it when the combat was feeling tough despite having infinite free respecs."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rosalind posted:

Any recommendations of hidden gem RPGs on Steam that are on sale right now? I just got a Steam Deck and am getting back into PC gaming.

I'm particularly interested in anything with compelling stories or characters that don't have too much of a grind to them.

I picked up Symphony of War and am having a blast but I bounced hard off Cassette Beasts and Ruined King.

Wandering Sword is cool but I have no idea how well it plays on a Steam Deck:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

Controller setup works but isn't great. KB+M is much better if you want to do real time for combat (and you do, because being good at real time combat lets you fight well above your weight class).

Maybe Brigandine if you want more turn based tactics games:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1843940/Brigandine_The_Legend_of_Runersia/
(I haven't tried this one yet but the PSX game was fun)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Most of the weapons you can get in the last few chapters are larger and slower weapons though, plus there’s an entire thresholds for weight and a weapon skill that specifically helps with it that you can’t get until later in the game. And that’s not even getting into how you likely won’t actually have enough scale pans to easily stack all three weight reduction libra bonuses until later on (and you need a lot of speed/weight reduction bonuses to start managing the endgame weapons easier). Chapter 1-4 starts off well enough with that push and pull, not so much 5-7.

Kale
May 14, 2010

CullenDaGaDee posted:

When I say the Remake, I mean specifically the HD game made in 2020 which is essentially a completely new game. (And as a novel concept, is actually an action RPG) The Collection of Mana version is indeed just the original with a translation, with only half the mechanics actually working and all.

Frankly I'm surprised the Trials of Mana remake turned out as good as it did considering Square Enix was even more of a trashfire of out of touch corporate business think in 2020-2021 then it is now. I'm still not convinced their new CEO is going to be able to right the ship and fix their PR and braindead ideas for GAAS problem, but that one turned out alright unlike the secret of mana one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hero's Adventure is a sandbox alternative to Wandering Sword.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948980/Heros_Adventure_Road_to_Passion/

HA's problem is the translation is quite bad. The dialogue is passable, but a lot of UI/incidental text is machine translated without being reinterpreted for in-game context. There's even a message when you select English that the localization is community driven via discord. Some of the optional puzzles/riddles are undoable without a Steam guide/forum posts. Turns out Chinese cultural wordplay doesn't translate 1:1