Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Bad dreams are dreams of bad memories
Good dreams are dreams of good memories

Both make me wake up crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But sweet dreams are made of this

And who am I to disagree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

A machine with no soul could perhaps do without dreams. That is not something to aspire to.

Man I got books to read and poo poo

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I feel like my dreams are important, to me, and when I can't sleep enough due to circumstance or booze it makes me feel cranky, or worse.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Dreams come in three varieties: bad dreams, good dreams, and nonsensical dreams. I'm not a fan of any of them. Good dreams are the worst because you wake up confused and disappointed and it ends up souring your whole day. I once had a dream about a beautiful woman listing all the reasons she loved me and it was maybe the worst nightmare I ever had.

That's the nonsensical dream example, got examples of good and bad?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

The Silmarillion stuff is much more alien, part of the theme of the greater work is the world falling over and over into a state that's closer to the world we are in.

The theme is that Eru Illuvitar planned all your sufferings beforehand. He made Melkor turn into Morgoth, and the history of the world be a history of conflict.

Tolkien was a catholic and Melkor is Satan.

He suffered in his time, like being in WW1 and seeing all his friends die, and he sees life as suffering for god's plan.

God, Eru, is still ultimately good and Satan/Melkor/Morgoth will come back and finally be cast out the door of night for good at the Dagor Dagorath, but before that happens everyone has to live in a fallen middle-earth infused with the power of Satan/Melkor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

I feel like my dreams are important, to me, and when I can't sleep enough due to circumstance or booze it makes me feel cranky, or worse.

I only dream about people breaking into my house, slicing me open, and stealing my organs

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a recurring dream? I see why you don't like dreams.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
All this dream talk is really making me want to rewatch City of Lost Children.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Careful. It’s French.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

oldpainless posted:

Careful. It’s French.
More like oldFrenchless (sorry, I've never gotten to do one of those. yay)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

A machine with no soul could perhaps do without dreams.
Good thing that's what we are then.

Nameless Pete posted:

Dreams come in three varieties: bad dreams, good dreams, and nonsensical dreams. I'm not a fan of any of them. Good dreams are the worst because you wake up confused and disappointed and it ends up souring your whole day.
100% agree.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

As a mystic I will never abandon dreams or the hope of a world beyond this crude flesh.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Any Julia Roberts part could have been performed better by Sandra Bullock, even (perhaps especially) the role of "Julia Roberts" in Ocean's Twelve.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Here's a PHUO; this thread needs to change it's tag so I stop confusing it for another thread with a similar tag

lmfao

Nameless Pete posted:

Any Julia Roberts part could have been performed better by Sandra Bullock, even (perhaps especially) the role of "Julia Roberts" in Ocean's Twelve.

yeah probably

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I could watch Miss Congeniality on repeat so I'm gonna go ahead and agree :hai:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot Warhammer 40k take incoming: the imperial guard is the lamest faction by far.

"they are mere regular people like us, taking on the horrors of space" ok except I also play historical games for my historical fix. In 40k I am here for the aliens and space knights and poo poo. The guard is boring. Being told "heheheh, everyone else likes space marines and space elves and space fungus guys and swarms of bugs but I know the truth, bland humans are best" sucks. And the supported guard at the moment are dudes in gridiron footballxstarship troopers suits and extra cool tactical trenchcoat and gasmask guys. They just suck. That's just call of duty with clown car lookin tanks.

And in the lore GW seems to have no idea if they're disposable hordes of conscripted mooks, or heroic badasses who use good ol' human know-how.

Get out of my space fiction, guards. I wanna see the genetically-altered space knight punch an alien mech suit to death.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Leeman Russ Tanks running over a genetically altered face forever. Lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot Warhammer 40k take incoming: the imperial guard is the lamest faction by far.

"they are mere regular people like us, taking on the horrors of space" ok except I also play historical games for my historical fix. In 40k I am here for the aliens and space knights and poo poo. The guard is boring. Being told "heheheh, everyone else likes space marines and space elves and space fungus guys and swarms of bugs but I know the truth, bland humans are best" sucks. And the supported guard at the moment are dudes in gridiron footballxstarship troopers suits and extra cool tactical trenchcoat and gasmask guys. They just suck. That's just call of duty with clown car lookin tanks.

And in the lore GW seems to have no idea if they're disposable hordes of conscripted mooks, or heroic badasses who use good ol' human know-how.

Get out of my space fiction, guards. I wanna see the genetically-altered space knight punch an alien mech suit to death.

they fulfill a niche in the genre fantasy that those other factions don't and those space knights already dominate the scene to the point of oversaturation

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

furthermore,

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My old gaming group once tried to get into WH40k. The game itself was okay, but we all agreed we'd had a much better time the previous week when we just sat around the table and painted the miniatures.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Warhammer seems lame as hell.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

It may seem like that at first glance. But it is actually insanely cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

you're right

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In my opinion Trader Joe's is the Nintendo Switch of the American grocery landscape

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Runa posted:

In my opinion Trader Joe's is the Nintendo Switch of the American grocery landscape

I hate that sentence.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

What does this mean?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

What does this mean?

It's small and doesn't have everything you want. Most of the good stuff is self-branded. Suburban moms love it.

Yeah, checks out.

My question is, what then is CostCo?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

My question is, what then is CostCo?
Xbox? Bloated behemoth that tries to have everything for everyone and requires a membership.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The first wave of punk rock was some of the most cynical manufactured culture industry bullshit ever recorded and whatever artistic value punk has came later in the '80s. Who the gently caress thinks bands put together by managers are authentic underground music? And most of the "pretentious" "bloated" prog bands that came before were scrappy groups of friends who lived in or near poverty, hardly able to even dream of having lasers in their stage shows like Yes or Pink Floyd. The greatest movement ever to come out of rock music got assassinated by the industry in favor of the loving Sex Pistols.

E: then they did it again in the early '90s by convincing people that every metal band with an actual singer was the same as Nelson or Britny Fox and yet another wave of bland blooze-based bands that celebrated their own mediocrity was "authentic" and "alternative", but this time alternative didn't even get an actual underground subculture to redeem it in the end like punk did.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Nov 28, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Yes, but what does this mean for funk metal?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

What does this mean?

Worth it for the exclusives that will be enjoyed by the whole family

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

The first wave of punk rock was some of the most cynical manufactured culture industry bullshit ever recorded and whatever artistic value punk has came later in the '80s. Who the gently caress thinks bands put together by managers are authentic underground music? And most of the "pretentious" "bloated" prog bands that came before were scrappy groups of friends who lived in or near poverty, hardly able to even dream of having lasers in their stage shows like Yes or Pink Floyd. The greatest movement ever to come out of rock music got assassinated by the industry in favor of the loving Sex Pistols.

E: then they did it again in the early '90s by convincing people that every metal band with an actual singer was the same as Nelson or Britny Fox and yet another wave of bland blooze-based bands that celebrated their own mediocrity was "authentic" and "alternative", but this time alternative didn't even get an actual underground subculture to redeem it in the end like punk did.

Who are the alleged fake and manufactured punk bands other than the Sex Pistols, who everyone already knows this about? And your spin on 90s alternative sounds more like you are deeply unaware of what was going on there than anything about the actual alternative subculture.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm more a fan of Status Quo Rock, personally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who are the alleged fake and manufactured punk bands other than the Sex Pistols, who everyone already knows this about? And your spin on 90s alternative sounds more like you are deeply unaware of what was going on there than anything about the actual alternative subculture.

I have the same question and comment. Because uh- yes buttrock existed in the 90's but I'm struggling to think of another relevant manufactured punk band in the mentioned era.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The usual accusations (which aren’t inaccurate though are incomplete as well) are the other Malcolm McLaren bands Adam and the Ants/Bow Wow Wow, and the New York Dolls. Once in a while someone tries to throw the Slits in and shows their whole rear end.

I agree
1. McLaren is an rear end in a top hat

I strongly disagree that

1. Punk killed prog
2. There was any opportunity for prog to grow larger
3. That poster has any points other than their axe to grind
4. Grunge killed metal or whatever he’s trying to say about vocalists in the 90s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Prog bands were giving in fully to their pop influences by the time punk exploded and like 99% of prog bands that stepped in to replace them in the years since have just been shamelessly aping their forebears to boring results (looking at you, entire Neo-Prog movement).

Hair metal also remained popular for a years after Nevermind. Bon Jovi still managed to rack up hits into the 2000s. It mostly died out because all trends do.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Nov 28, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Prog bands were giving in fully to their pop influences by the time punk exploded and like 99% of prog bands that stepped in to replace them in the years since have just been shamelessly aping their forebears to boring results (looking at you, entire Neo-Prog movement).

Hair metal also remained popular for a years after Nevermind. Bon Jovi still managed to rack up hits into the 2000s. It mostly died out because all trends do.

The Darkness would still be touring today if it weren't for The Sex Pistols.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The backlash against hair bands also hit traditional and US power metal bands who made totally different music but had long hair and high pitched singing so they were trashed as hair metal, and also as "gay" (this was 1991 and gay was a deadly insult).

Also this entire thread is hot takes by people with axes to grind so I don't know what you were expecting :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Trad and especially power metal were never popular enough to be replaced in the culture by alternative rock. Metal’s more extreme subgenres had taken over the underground by that point and of course Europe’s own take on power metal (which in my experience is the kind that gets called gay while USPM “has balls”) flourished in that decade. Traditional heavy metal didn’t have anything new left to say. Dickinson and Halford both left their main bands. Now all of these genres have revival movements.