Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bleh, Ashfall isn't just a needs mod, it's the best implementation I've personally seen in any video game, I'd say it's closest rival is Valhiem. There's an organic simplicity to it you don't see in other systems. I'll just see how it runs in steam some time. Especially if the problem is limited to the bigger towns, I essentially took a ship into a major port city and was disappointed, maybe it's not like that once you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Turns out there was a hot fix for the siege at firemoth compatibility patch that I missed. Also tamriel data released a new version but didn't update their version number for some reason.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

The one time I ran TR I was surprised it ran so badly; my recollection is that that's expected?

Now, that was a couple years ago I have a modern ish PC that can run all the games, Should I expect to be able to run TR without stutters or low FPS?

Try the latest update. There was a big fps boosting on all of the big cities. You don't need openmw which is for noobs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53685

if youre running mgexe also install this, you will get a free 10-20 fps boost

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mbt posted:

Try the latest update. There was a big fps boosting on all of the big cities. You don't need openmw which is for noobs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53685

if youre running mgexe also install this, you will get a free 10-20 fps boost

Yeah that was the vulkan thing I was thinking of, couldn’t remember the name and it’s helped a ton with new vegas. Thinking next time I play morrowind I’ll just do two separate characters for normal world space and TR world space like I’ve thought about doing.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The one time I ran TR I was surprised it ran so badly; my recollection is that that's expected?

Now, that was a couple years ago I have a modern ish PC that can run all the games, Should I expect to be able to run TR without stutters or low FPS?

My PC has a i5 8600 and a 1070, with a 1080p monitor, so more than a few years old. There is definitely a big drop in FPS in the major cities, but it never drops below 60. This is using MGE XE, not a ton of mods and the default number of cells for distant land I think.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just checked my current setup after installing TR and DXVK and it looks like I'm getting around 90-100+ in normal morrowind with intelligent textures as the only texture mod and MGEXE at 5 cells, and about 70-90 in TR zones with a 3080 I didn't have last time I played this game so between that and a 1070 running about 60 with default cells I'd say performance is much better than before. Running something like BCOM I'd think FPS would be about equal in the end.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

new mwse features coming soon from the creator of mgexe and mcp
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/1175510735162462408/map.mp4

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My children will play with MWSE and OpenMW combined

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Average Bear posted:

My children will play with MWSE and OpenMW combined

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lol

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I played vanilla on an xbox and I’d do it again

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao. :discourse:
Anyways I think I'm gonna give myself some further rpgs brainworms and play some morrowind again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

whydirt posted:

Still remember the cheat for regenerating health. Black White Black Black Black

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

whydirt posted:

Only version with good controller support. OpenMW controller implementation is unfortunately not very good.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have experience playing Morrowind on Steam Deck? How well does it work?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

OpenMW is available as a flatpack on the discover store and works well when I tested it out last on a vanilla install, at least as far as getting into Seyda Neen. I've yet to have any success in applying mods to it in a way that works though and I haven't had the patience to figure out why yet.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Overall its (OMW) good, quite a few mods straight up will not work with it due to requireing stuff that depends on mge etc, even rediculous mods like The Underground are almost playable, its well worth having 2 installs to check out both and see what floats your boat.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a good goon-approved OpenMW mod list? I will miss stuff like Ashfall but I think OpenMW is probably the way to go on Steam Deck and I have wanted to play Morrowind on a handheld since I was a kid (also I have a loooong flight coming up).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Is there a good goon-approved OpenMW mod list? I will miss stuff like Ashfall but I think OpenMW is probably the way to go on Steam Deck and I have wanted to play Morrowind on a handheld since I was a kid (also I have a loooong flight coming up).

https://modding-openmw.com has some good curated modlists for your various approaches. i used one when i did a run on openmw awhile ago and it was good.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

a7m2 posted:

Went and found my older post on just this question.

hannibal posted:

When I did my last playthrough (you can check my posts in this thread for some comments) I used what was then called the Morrowind STEP guide and OpenMW. It's been renamed apparently:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Morrowind_graphics_guide

Now, I haven't looked at that in a while so I don't know how up to date or good it is, but it worked for me back then.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

https://modding-openmw.com has some good curated modlists for your various approaches. i used one when i did a run on openmw awhile ago and it was good.

Am I dumb or does this site not link to the mods themselves on Nexus or whatever? I like to know what I'm installing and some of the descriptions are trash

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 28, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Am I dumb or does this site not link to the mods themselves on Nexus or whatever? I like to know what I'm installing and some of the descriptions are trash

each mod has a link to a "download page." if it's on nexus, that's a nexus link, but a lot of Morrowind modding is old and is located elsewhere.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also nexus kinda sucks

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It does but not as much as going to 60 different sites for each individual author's mods.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i use portmod, it's a command-line interface mod manager that's somehow even geekier than it sounds

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

a7m2 posted:

I nabbed path of the incarnate off wabbajack and it's been a pretty good list (except for some follower mod which appears to have locked me out the thieves guild entirely). A few dungeon dive style mods which I don't love (and didn't realize were like that until I was in the middle of them), but some level/skill overhauls, some interesting new quest mods, and the latest TR release is pretty much all I want.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53779

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I knew this was missing, but I didn't realize how modern it would make it seem

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Does anyone know if the goon-made tea mod works with Ashfall?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Does anyone know if the goon-made tea mod works with Ashfall?

Yes but please cover up your teapots diligently otherwise they get all gross

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

each mod has a link to a "download page." if it's on nexus, that's a nexus link, but a lot of Morrowind modding is old and is located elsewhere.

Turns out I am dumb! Thank you very much

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yes but please cover up your teapots diligently otherwise they get all gross

I read this and then got the joke many hours later and now I don't know if it conflicts or not. gently caress it I'm going back to daggerfall.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ikanreed posted:

I knew this was missing, but I didn't realize how modern it would make it seem

I didn't know it was missing and my mind is a little blown.

It's apparently based on an OpenMW implementation that's described here https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/merge_requests/3497

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYdczH_nVC0

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It really makes a huge difference, to the point that it makes it look almost too modern, like some of the more extreme graphic mods. Gotta try it though.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8u32s_YLU8

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I want to get back in to the game but the only modlist I could find that doesn't just pretty things up is super buggy. Like, can't use a mages guild teleport unless you've been to the destination first because you'll crash for some unknown reason. Might give OpenMW a try but losing MWSE would suck

e: eh gently caress it. The only mod I really used that required SE was for magicka regen. Gonna give Path of the Incarnate on Wabbajack a shot

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 13, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh no I'm falling down the rabbit hole of modding Morrowind on a new PC again.

Is there any kind of recommended backup/mirror for mods that were hosted on MMH/GHF? Bunch of cool sounding mods in the OP with dead links and from what I can find via some quick googling it sounds like the owner took those sites down earlier this year saying they eventually planned to consolidate but then just never did? I've been able to pull a couple things using the wayback machine but it's a huge pain the rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sydin posted:

Oh no I'm falling down the rabbit hole of modding Morrowind on a new PC again.

Is there any kind of recommended backup/mirror for mods that were hosted on MMH/GHF? Bunch of cool sounding mods in the OP with dead links and from what I can find via some quick googling it sounds like the owner took those sites down earlier this year saying they eventually planned to consolidate but then just never did? I've been able to pull a couple things using the wayback machine but it's a huge pain the rear end.

When I played back in August I found Abot's site to be the best source for most of this stuff. It's not perfect, still some dead links and reliant on archive.org for some which is hit and miss, but best we've got at the moment unfortunately. Hope things are ok with Fliggerty, not like him to vanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

:psyduck: