Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm open to reading the manga as well, so maybe I'll just do that rather than watch an anime that will (apparently?) not be finished

as someone who loves that manga dearly, i think the anime is overall a big improvement over the manga for the stretch of story it covers. i'd personally recommend watching the anime, then either starting the manga from the beginning or picking up where the anime ends.

if you're ok with gore/body horror it fits your ask incredibly well, whichever way you go with it

back when the anime aired they said that a s2 would be possible and fan reaction would contribute to that maybe happening. that was like 3 years ago and nothing has been said on the topic since. i heard on this forum that the team that did the dorohedoro anime is the team that's been doing attack on titan (haven't cross referenced the credits myself, but they are both studio MAPPA), so since that just ended there's some hope, but the first season being made at all was a kind of out of left field miracle so

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Freiren does look very interesting. I'd heard it mentioned here and there but I didn't really look into what it was. I might make it one of the higher priority ones.

ninjewtsu posted:

as someone who loves that manga dearly, i think the anime is overall a big improvement over the manga for the stretch of story it covers. i'd personally recommend watching the anime, then either starting the manga from the beginning or picking up where the anime ends.

if you're ok with gore/body horror it fits your ask incredibly well, whichever way you go with it

back when the anime aired they said that a s2 would be possible and fan reaction would contribute to that maybe happening. that was like 3 years ago and nothing has been said on the topic since. i heard on this forum that the team that did the dorohedoro anime is the team that's been doing attack on titan (haven't cross referenced the credits myself, but they are both studio MAPPA), so since that just ended there's some hope, but the first season being made at all was a kind of out of left field miracle so

Thanks for explaining. I think I'll start with the anime after all (when I get to it, there's... a lot in the queue now), as it wouldn't be the first time I finish an anime then read past it in the manga. I don't have issues with gore and body horror, so I'm not worried about that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zinkraptor posted:

Freiren does look very interesting. I'd heard it mentioned here and there but I didn't really look into what it was. I might make it one of the higher priority ones.

Just started watching it today and the worst I can say about it is that is not easily bingable but that is more because it is a high quality emotional show then anything else.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

revenger is the show i've thought the most about this year and i want to check out more gen urobuchi. point me in the right direction - psycho pass?

i watched aldnoah zero when it came out and remember fuckall about it but i don't think it really blew me away at the time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Madoka dude

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

Madoka dude

oh yeah duh i've seen madoka it was sick

probably due for a rewatch though

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Urobuchi was popular enough his name got attached to a good amount of stuff he wasn't particularly involved in e.g. Aldnoah, so you're mainly looking at Psycho-Pass S1 and The Movie (2015), Fate/Zero, and Thunderbolt Fantasy.

e: Hell, there's also Kamen Rider Gaim.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avoid his godzilla movies they suck.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
My favourite Urobuchi-related thing besides Madoka is Thunderbolt Fantasy which is actually a puppet show, it slaps

Psycho-Pass is a bit of a mixed bag in places but even as someone who's more lukewarm on it than a lot of folks it's very much worth watching. One episode in particular I still think about regularly to this day

Fate/Zero also has its fans, though personally I found it pretty dull

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Psycho-Pass is great, so long as you skip the second season. It's directed by someone else, and though it honestly starts out alright it pivots hard into stupidity midway and it's clear they fundamentally do not get the basic principles and concepts of the setting.

The movie afterwards brings back Gen Urobuchi to direct, and it's fantastic.

Are the specials/seasons after that any good?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for old man 'edutainment' manga where the author has a passion for a certain subject or has just been reading an encyclopedia of weird facts and wants to make stories out of them.

I'm thinking stuff like Professor Munakata, Zero: the Man of Creation.

To be clear, I don't need to learn any true facts, I just like the vibes of Zero repairing a cursed Peruvian artefact or Munakata discovering a rural legend is true.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for old man 'edutainment' manga where the author has a passion for a certain subject or has just been reading an encyclopedia of weird facts and wants to make stories out of them.

I'm thinking stuff like Professor Munakata, Zero: the Man of Creation.

To be clear, I don't need to learn any true facts, I just like the vibes of Zero repairing a cursed Peruvian artefact or Munakata discovering a rural legend is true.

Restaurant to Another World is a serene enjoyment of food.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jin is pretty great. Modern brain surgeon gets transported to 1800s Japan, does a lot of great modern medicine in feudal times, while everyone is like “I’ll fuckin KILL you Dutch medicine man also I have this huge growth that’s been kinda bugging me”

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Restaurant to Another World is a serene enjoyment of food.
Yess, I like how each chapter is about a specific dish.

DamnGlitch posted:

Jin is pretty great. Modern brain surgeon gets transported to 1800s Japan, does a lot of great modern medicine in feudal times, while everyone is like “I’ll fuckin KILL you Dutch medicine man also I have this huge growth that’s been kinda bugging me”
I should've mentioned Jin. I really loved it, need to pick it up again. I think I got as far as the thrilling beriberi arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if it would necessarily fit the bill, but Any Sufficiently Advanced Science Is Indistinguishable From Magic might be an enjoyable read for you. It's a doctor who gets isekai'd to a world where magic has supplanted basic medical support, so everyone is beholden to the healers who extort the populace. The artwork is insanely good, and the character designs are amazing and sometimes hilarious(the spider girl who is in Gothic Lolita but also just has six legs besides that is great).

One of the first operations is doing impromptu surgery on a chimera who gets shot by a ballista bolt and detailing the process of removing an impaled object. Another one involves climbing down a dragon's throat to remove a stomach cancer tumor. It's a very fun series :allears:

E: some of the character designs

yakuza dragonkin hell yeah

this guy makes me think of dark souls

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno if it would necessarily fit the bill, but Any Sufficiently Advanced Science Is Indistinguishable From Magic might be an enjoyable read for you.
This looks rad

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Yess, I like how each chapter is about a specific dish.

I should've mentioned Jin. I really loved it, need to pick it up again. I think I got as far as the thrilling beriberi arc.

It’s done now, idk if it’s on the reader sites but the mangaka had the rest translated and put it on patreon so if that’s till up you can read the whole thing for like 5bucks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I finished Claymore and it wasnt bad. I actually kind of want to watch something in the same vein now but I usually stray from darker themed shows so Im not exactly sure where to even start.

So Im not too bad with suspense, pretty picky with horror, hate death game type stuff, and I shy away from the grimdark side of most genres whenever possible. Im trying to think of other shows that have managed to hold me despite that and its a pretty tiny list. Hellsing, Paranoia Agent, Devilman Crybaby, Dark Gathering, Parasyte, Another (though I did struggle a bit getting through this), plus the aforementioned Claymore. Also for movies I enjoyed stuff like Perfect Blue and Vampire Hunter D.

I know its not much to go on but if anyone can think of something Im willing to give it a shot.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The original 1997 berserk seems like a gimme

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the memorial editions of the Golden Age films. They aren't as good as the TV show but they have their moments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

So I finished Claymore and it wasnt bad. I actually kind of want to watch something in the same vein now but I usually stray from darker themed shows so Im not exactly sure where to even start.

So Im not too bad with suspense, pretty picky with horror, hate death game type stuff, and I shy away from the grimdark side of most genres whenever possible. Im trying to think of other shows that have managed to hold me despite that and its a pretty tiny list. Hellsing, Paranoia Agent, Devilman Crybaby, Dark Gathering, Parasyte, Another (though I did struggle a bit getting through this), plus the aforementioned Claymore. Also for movies I enjoyed stuff like Perfect Blue and Vampire Hunter D.

I know its not much to go on but if anyone can think of something Im willing to give it a shot.

Have you seen Attack on Titan? It's pretty good, and it just wrapped up. Might scratch some of the same itches.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a manga recommendation thread? I didn't see a general manga discussion thread either, but maybe I missed it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No just ask here

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think this thread is pretty universal for anime and manga recs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Post asking for video game recs in here it'll probably be fine

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
You can just ask for manga recs in the anime rec thread too tbh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Might as well see if anyone knows what a particular manga was, then.

So, there's this older horror manga, set in a hospital, I think. Basically there was a zombie-ish virus thing released by archaeology or something, and a bunch of kids tried to escape as everyone else was infected. (I think the virus might have been weak to sunlight, but I'm less sure about that). Ending was the kids getting out... then it turned out the virus was outside too, and a bunch of zombies were lumbering towards them as we got a Butch and Sundance ending. Short, too, only a couple volumes.

Got an English localization (probably unofficial), but I can't find hide nor hair recently. Anyone have more luck than I did?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Alright cool can I get a recommendation for a completed manga series that has a similar feel to BLAME! Something atmospheric and moody.

Video games why not what Switch game should I play after Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, the Japanese take on high fantasy fascinates me (relatively on-topic)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you seen Attack on Titan? It's pretty good, and it just wrapped up. Might scratch some of the same itches.

I gave this a shot when it first started airing and bounced hard. Tried again earlier this year with my brother bugging me to give it another shot and I still just cant get into it.

DamnGlitch posted:

The original 1997 berserk seems like a gimme

I think Ive seen this but its been a long time. I remember the ending being beyond depressing in more than just a "The bad guys win" way too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I gave this a shot when it first started airing and bounced hard. Tried again earlier this year with my brother bugging me to give it another shot and I still just cant get into it.

I think Ive seen this but its been a long time. I remember the ending being beyond depressing in more than just a "The bad guys win" way too.

Second first, yeah. The manga goes on after that, but the anime takes the already incredibly bleak manga arc ender, and doesn't show how Guts could get out of it, even though the first episode established the rest of the show as a flashback, meaning we know he survived somehow. It's not exactly a good time.

First second, fair enough. Mind if I asked what didn't work for you? Could help in pinpointing something that would.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Second first, yeah. The manga goes on after that, but the anime takes the already incredibly bleak manga arc ender, and doesn't show how Guts could get out of it, even though the first episode established the rest of the show as a flashback, meaning we know he survived somehow. It's not exactly a good time.

First second, fair enough. Mind if I asked what didn't work for you? Could help in pinpointing something that would.

If Im being honest I just dont think I find the story, setting or characters interesting at all. Its very well animated, but if I want a well animated show with a mediocre to bad story and characters Demon Slayer does it better.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

imo give 86 a shot. trigun stampede too, that's a lot more up front about the darker elements of the trigun story

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s fine you dont like it, and I wasn’t sold until the second season (I find the first very rough around the edges), but it’s one of the best written stories of the last decade easily.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'd been avoiding saying that as much as i can out of a sense of self awareness that it's a cartoon aimed at young boys, but honestly i agree. i'm extremely impressed with AoT's writing.

s1 has pacing issues and what's so good about the series' writing (especially its character writing) isn't as readily apparent, while s2+ is just firing on all cylinders the whole way. that being said if you aren't at least lukewarm on s1 i suspect it isn't for you and you shouldn't try super hard to get through something you aren't enjoying.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 3, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Best anime writing* right right. Yeah if you don’t like it don’t force yourself, by any means. I took excepting to it being called mediocre to bad and then comparing to demon slayer which I was hating until the spider arc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

It’s fine you dont like it, and I wasn’t sold until the second season (I find the first very rough around the edges), but it’s one of the best written stories of the last decade easily.

Yeah, season 2 gives characters like Erwin, Reiner, and Ymir more focus, who really show off more layers than the initial trio. (Especially the season 1 trio. Especially the anime season 1 trio, where half of Mikasa's dialogue is replaced with just saying 'Eren'.)

The show's got some great cards in its hand, and looking back they're in play from season 1... but it takes time for it to show them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

attack on titan is mid and its fine if the guy doesnt watch it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

its fine if the guy doesnt watch it

I LITERALLY SAID THAT.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Did people actually like the final season? I got through it just to reach the very telegraphed ending, but can't say I enjoyed it much. Previous seasons were alright, but it's not some paragon of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peteyfoot posted:

Alright cool can I get a recommendation for a completed manga series that has a similar feel to BLAME! Something atmospheric and moody.

Video games why not what Switch game should I play after Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, the Japanese take on high fantasy fascinates me (relatively on-topic)

Side-note, but go play Signalis if you haven't already and want something with BLAME!'s atmosphere.

Also if you've finished BLAME! and haven't ready Tsutomo Nihei's other works yet, go read BiOmega and Abara for something with a similar tone. There's also NOiSE, which is a prequel to BLAME!, and I have just learned has had a hardcover reprint so if you'll excuse me I have an Amazon order to make even though I have an original softcover version... :shepspends: