Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s kind of crazy that the asgard and goauld have been in this stalemate for centuries and then the Tauri come in and within 8 or so years completely break it apart and the asgard go all in.

It was more the Asgard were dealing with bigger poo poo (replicaters) and the gauld were contained and no real threat. Dedicating armies to eliminating them wasn't feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It was more the Asgard were dealing with bigger poo poo (replicaters) and the gauld were contained and no real threat. Dedicating armies to eliminating them wasn't feasible.

Agreed. The Asgard weren't in any stalemate with the System Lords. The Goa'uld left the protected planets alone, and the Asgard didn't interfere elsewhere. From the Goa'uld's perspective, they were defeated and dare not challenge them (not till Anubis).

Is it said in the show how long the Asgard were dealing with the Replicators before we learned about them?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Think they only hinted they had other concerns in an episode when O'Neal asked why. Probably had other Ancient dooms day devices that they dealt worth to.

Was watching the Anubis blows up a planet and Daniel is deascended episode today and just a fresh Ancients are the real villains of the series. Just The Worst.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Think they only hinted they had other concerns in an episode when O'Neal asked why. Probably had other Ancient dooms day devices that they dealt worth to.

Was watching the Anubis blows up a planet and Daniel is deascended episode today and just a fresh Ancients are the real villains of the series. Just The Worst.

Are you watching on Comet?

What was so bad about that episode?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The episode is good, it's the Ancients straight up protecting the big bad. Doomsday devices just littering the universe and the whole Anubis arc my God they suck. Then there's the Ori.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The episode is good, it's the Ancients straight up protecting the big bad. Doomsday devices just littering the universe and the whole Anubis arc my God they suck. Then there's the Ori.

Oh, that. Well, can't get involved. Higher Principles you know.

Want another coffee?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dude playing Anubis in the diner episode was so good. Just that perfect smarmy superiority.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Dude playing Anubis in the diner episode was so good. Just that perfect smarmy superiority.

He felt like a threat the entire episode, but as a "sexist abusive customer" for the most part IMO, until the end when he reveals himself as the galaxy wide threat he is.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

He felt like a threat the entire episode, but as a "sexist abusive customer" for the most part IMO, until the end when he reveals himself as the galaxy wide threat he is.

ANUBIS, EVIL CONQUEROR (who amazingly is still alive and hasn't died of a heart attack, I mean he's a big guy)

ANUBIS, RE-ASCENDED (I mean honestly why didn't they cast George as the grandfather in Modern Family is beyond me)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Now I suddenly want to hear Gloria's karaoke machine with a goa'uld voice modulator

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Earth ships definitely do seem to get the poo poo kicked out of them, but that's partially because they loving love throwing their limited capital ships into unwinnable battles or kicking hornets nests.

The Ancients are/were kind of assholes with their holier than thou poo poo. Though they did all decide to gently caress this universe and ascend so they wouldn't have to deal with any bullshit anymore so I can kind of get that attitude.

The Asgard not dealing with the Goa'uld was also another way of showing that. A superior race who has their own problems (the cloning issue also was taking up a lot of their time) in another universe just doesn't want to deal with these snakes. Stay away from these planets and we don't have to worry. It's also not entirely clear exactly how many there are. When O'Neill first meets them we see a decent number, but apart from that it's like... individual Asgard doing their own thing. Even the ships seem staffed by one.

Watching "Bad Guys". Fun episode, felt very early-season albeit with a bit more of the knowing humour.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s kind of crazy that the asgard and goauld have been in this stalemate for centuries and then the Tauri come in and within 8 or so years completely break it apart and the asgard go all in.

Asgard were actually too busy getting their asses handed to them by the replicators.

e: oh there was a new page. I see this was already discussed.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

pixaal posted:

Asgard were actually too busy getting their asses handed to them by the replicators.

e: oh there was a new page. I see this was already discussed.

I could see the arguement that the Asgard and Goa'uld were in a stalemate with their own issues, not with one another, though.

The Asgard seemed to have the constant problem of replicators and cloning, as mentioned. They couldn't really didn't have a need or ability to advance too far outside that.

The system lords really had possibly hit a place where they were just stuck in their own status quo where it was difficult to effect any great change because power structures had become so well-defined and well-controlled.

Then the Tau'ri show up and kill Ra which probably has a massive knock on effect for the whole galaxy.

Now we suddenly see the rise of 'minor system lords' or 'former low-ranking Goa'ulds' on one side able to finally take a grab at major power, direct allies to Ra using the chance to try to hold and claim power once afforded to Ra, and indepent major system lords thinking they could afford a risk of taking more power, too.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Family Ties might be one of the worst late-season episodes, but it gives us Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues so it's impossible to say

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Christopher Judge's facial acting at the end of that episode is amazing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Family Ties might be one of the worst late-season episodes, but it gives us Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues so it's impossible to say

Is that the one with Vala's conman Dad? If so, I loved it. Fred Willard is a gem, I love him in everything.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yep, S10E18.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could see the arguement that the Asgard and Goa'uld were in a stalemate with their own issues, not with one another, though.

The Asgard seemed to have the constant problem of replicators and cloning, as mentioned. They couldn't really didn't have a need or ability to advance too far outside that.

The system lords really had possibly hit a place where they were just stuck in their own status quo where it was difficult to effect any great change because power structures had become so well-defined and well-controlled.

Then the Tau'ri show up and kill Ra which probably has a massive knock on effect for the whole galaxy.

Now we suddenly see the rise of 'minor system lords' or 'former low-ranking Goa'ulds' on one side able to finally take a grab at major power, direct allies to Ra using the chance to try to hold and claim power once afforded to Ra, and indepent major system lords thinking they could afford a risk of taking more power, too.

I do like the one where Baal is fighting the replicators and Jacob brings Jack the device that lets them see all the goa’uld ha’taks just blipping out. Makes Jack realize that while they’re doing a good job of killing off system lords that they’re still an insanely huge empire beyond even what he had surmised over the years. His ‘oh poo poo’ moment when the galaxy map lights up was great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Well said. And its certainly the combo of the loss of Ra and the void that causes, and the SGC getting out and loving stuff up for the Goa'uld.

But SGC was "lucky" in the sense that that void probably allowed them to succeed. If Ra was still in place and the System Lords stable, SGC and Earth probably get wiped out sooner than later.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

How did the Asgard even get their replicator problem if Reese is from the Milky Way? By which I mean how did they not gently caress up the MW when they came upon them?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

Well said. And its certainly the combo of the loss of Ra and the void that causes, and the SGC getting out and loving stuff up for the Goa'uld.

But SGC was "lucky" in the sense that that void probably allowed them to succeed. If Ra was still in place and the System Lords stable, SGC and Earth probably get wiped out sooner than later.

Yeah, Ra would''ve done what Anubis tried to do but in season 1

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Leandros posted:

How did the Asgard even get their replicator problem if Reese is from the Milky Way? By which I mean how did they not gently caress up the MW when they came upon them?

Didn't they take some to study and they escaped? I could be wrong.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Leandros posted:

Ancients left those things in the Atlantis galaxy to so it stands to reason there were more than just the Reese derived ones. The Asgard may have even run across some blocks the Ancients left laying around after loving off to be godlike beings.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The ancient godlike beings too lazy to stop atrocities and readily littering omnicidal objects like we lose radioactive sources proving that we shouldn't strive for better

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fuckin' Ancients

*secret memo in the NID: How we will ascend and steal from the Ancients

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the super neat and unique things about SG1 is it's a self contained franchise that also acknowledges all other franchises. Star Wars, Trek, X-Files, Simpsons, etc. Even lol Farscape.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Stargate and xfiles need a cross over

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
SG-1/Hellboy crossover.

After years of fake gods, SG-1 has to help take down a strange lovecraftian horror.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

O'Neill gets to shoot the Samaritan and reacts like Han after he got to use Chewie's bowcaster

Also he breaks his wrist and forearm.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

Is that the one with Vala's conman Dad? If so, I loved it. Fred Willard is a gem, I love him in everything.

Fred Willard is great but the story suuuuucks. It's all "You owe your shitbag dad your love and attention even though he abandoned you repeatedly because sometimes he made you feel nice and bought you stuff."

The twist at the end kind of makes up for it though, but still just a bad story.

On to the films now, then a little break before I start Atlantis. I think I've only seen them both once.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Fred Willard is great but the story suuuuucks. It's all "You owe your shitbag dad your love and attention even though he abandoned you repeatedly because sometimes he made you feel nice and bought you stuff."

The twist at the end kind of makes up for it though, but still just a bad story.

On to the films now, then a little break before I start Atlantis. I think I've only seen them both once.

I didn't take that message away from it, but I can see it.

++
In the ultimate meta crossover, MacGuyver exists in the SG1 universe.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

redshirt posted:

I didn't take that message away from it, but I can see it.

++
In the ultimate meta crossover, MacGuyver exists in the SG1 universe.
By the transitive property, the Simpsons existing implies MacGyver does.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Leandros posted:

By the transitive property, the Simpsons existing implies MacGyver does.

For sure, but there's also a direct reference in the first episode. Kinda sets the tone for the whole show.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
We pull back and it all took place inside a snow globe held by Teal'C

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

We pull back and it all took place inside a snow globe held by Teal'C

"Barry"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Did the show ever go into detail about the reaction of the System Lords after the death of Ra and up to the start of SG-1? When did they start to learn the Tau'ri caused it? Etc.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's a year in-universe between the end of the movie and the start of the show, and I'm pretty sure they tell Apophis about taking down Ra within the first two episodes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did the show ever go into detail about the reaction of the System Lords after the death of Ra and up to the start of SG-1? When did they start to learn the Tau'ri caused it? Etc.

From my recollection, Ra is almost never discussed. He's like a non-factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a little bit about the power vacuum after Ra ate a nuke in the movie, and how Apophis' attempted invasion on Earth was an attack of retribution for this (end of s1 / time travel episode), and how this failure weakened his spot in the System Lords (somewhere in s2). Who knows how Apophis dialed into Earth at the start of the series - maybe he stole some gate addresses from Ra's leftover empire?

I imagine the Goa'uld/Apophis learnt more about Earth specifically after Skarra/Share got a snake in the head. Enough to remember that it wasn't another Goa'uld that killed Ra, at least.

Goa'uld politics is good poo poo