Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like a shark took a bite out of your catch before yah landed it.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

you got it!

I may buy another to jam in a rack I am gifting someone for christmas because they are cheap and fun.
Dude is solid. I ordered the same module, and when it arrived, one of the pots wasn't soldered.
I took a photo and sent a message, and he sent another to me right away, no questions asked, and quite apologetic.
Says a lot about your business with how you handle mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Those guitars always look to me like a moose took a bite out of them. I bet it plays like a dream though.

E:f;b with a better animal

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a hard time playing headless guitars but has nothing to do with the aesthetic. After I picked up one and messed with it, I learned I use the headstock on most guitars to help myself judge how far down the fretboard I am. So every time I go for some particular note or phrase, I end up WAY farther up the neck than I want to be because my brain is all like "hey bro, the 'bottom' of the headstock and therefore home base is right about where the 3rd fret is on the actual headless neck in your hands" and I get tripped up every time.

Awesome guitar though, they seem ridiculously ergonomic.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I have a hard time playing headless guitars but has nothing to do with the aesthetic. After I picked up one and messed with it, I learned I use the headstock on most guitars to help myself judge how far down the fretboard I am. So every time I go for some particular note or phrase, I end up WAY farther up the neck than I want to be because my brain is all like "hey bro, the 'bottom' of the headstock and therefore home base is right about where the 3rd fret is on the actual headless neck in your hands" and I get tripped up every time.

Awesome guitar though, they seem ridiculously ergonomic.

Haha, did the same thing the first few days. Brain goes ”oh, 5th fret it about this far from the end of the guitar, and has a dot” and I immediately grab…the 7th fret. Or even 9th. But I got over it pretty quickly and can switch back and forth between normal and headless without it bothering me now. I think it just took the brain getting used to ”the pitch I am looking for is here on this guitar” to fix it. Might be worse if I screwed around with a bunch of alternative tunings though.

It is indeed ridiculously ergonomic. The biggest benefit for me is how well it sits in the classical position, which makes it super comfortable to play (along with the low weight).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the strandberg singlecut shape is pretty tight. more iconic than the standard body imo

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

It has arrived! Plays and sounds great. Not a fan of the bright white hardware or the metallic knobs. They're all getting replaced. Otherwise this thing is well worth the $550 I spent on it. Looks like they're still available if anyone else wants one!

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 9, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks fantastic. I love ebony fret boards

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
YO!

Quick question not worthy of it's own thread...

I want to get a super simple virtual amp setup running on my gaming PC. I've got a legit recording setup for when I'm doing things properly, but I want something I can jam in my living room with for giggles.

I'll probably just run a plugin with REAPER. But I'd like some sort of wireless setup. So I'm expecting to need:

- USB Interface (literally just a DI though)
- Wireless Guitar reciever\transmitter

And I kinda want it to be as cheap as possible 'cos it's just for giggles and nothing serious.

Suggestions?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Focusrite Scarlett Solo (although I'd just spend the extra $80 and get the 2i2) and an Xvive U2 guitar transmitter/receiver system.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Universal Audio Volt 2 has much nicer dac/adc and preamps and is about the same money. There's a noticeable difference in sound quality from my Scarlett 2i2 to my Volt 2.

edit: I should say my comparison was against an older generation of scarlett with last-gen pres/converters.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 15, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Universal Audio Volt 2 has much nicer dac/adc and preamps and is about the same money. There's a noticeable difference in sound quality from my Scarlett 2i2 to my Volt 2.

edit: I should say my comparison was against an older generation of scarlett with last-gen pres/converters.

I'll second this. I recently picked up a UA Volt and I love the thing. It sounds fantastic as an interface, feels sturdy and well made, and its preamps sound great too. And it has a dedicated instrument button that converts the preamp input to match the level and input impedance an instrument like a guitar would expect to see from an amp. The single-input version is around $120 US.

As for a cheap wireless option, the Xvive U2R Wireless System is the least expensive guitar wireless system I could google:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 15, 2023

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

H13 posted:

YO!

Quick question not worthy of it's own thread...

I want to get a super simple virtual amp setup running on my gaming PC. I've got a legit recording setup for when I'm doing things properly, but I want something I can jam in my living room with for giggles.

I'll probably just run a plugin with REAPER. But I'd like some sort of wireless setup. So I'm expecting to need:

- USB Interface (literally just a DI though)
- Wireless Guitar reciever\transmitter

And I kinda want it to be as cheap as possible 'cos it's just for giggles and nothing serious.

Suggestions?

I have a quick and easy set up that I use with my MacBook, it's just an iRig and a Nux wireless set. If I were buying today I'd get the Positive Grid RIFF because it's on sale for $69. The Nux B5-RC is more expensive than you need to go if you're just in it for kicks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4R127BL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8FSFRB

You're in for $100 and it should work pretty well for living room fun.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thank you all kindly. Purely 'cos I'm a fan of their stuff in general, I'll probably grab a UA Volt for ~$100 and the XVive wireless thingy. UA stuff is usually pretty solid and hey, if I ever need a backup interface for whatever reason, the UA will work great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Picked up the squier jmascis jazzmaster today. gently caress I love this thing.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I love how you hung it in the middle, surrounded by its friends, so cozy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Neck scale longest to shortest and the two yellow in between the three whites.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Verman posted:

Neck scale longest to shortest and the two yellow in between the three whites.

I love this.

I have no idea why in the world that photo of all things looks so good that I am finally convinced that it's not only acceptable but even preferable to own multiple instruments of the same color.

Thank you.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 30, 2023

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I thought the Gretsch was a really pretty blue

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nope, just white. IIRC the gretsch (5422 hollow body) only came in white and black that year. I really wanted the 5622 in Georgia green but after playing both, I much preferred the 54 hollow body despite the colors. It sounded more like a gretsch than the 56 center block. Its loaded with real filter trons vs the 5622 having broadtron paf style humbuckers, or the older ones having Hilo trons which are weaker single coils. The white falcon look eventually grew on me and I absolutely love it. I think I paid half of retail for a year old guitar so the deal and sound outweighed the color for me.

The tele I'm going to build is going to be something along these lines with a binding. I'd love a telecaster in gretsch Georgia green but custom paint might be out of my budget. I think fender/gretsch has some of the best paint colors of any brand. I'll add a bigsby and a filter tron or dynasonic in the neck. Typical single in the bridge.

Candy tangerine

Metallic Blue

Metallic green/seafoam

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
got the polyend play and i'm pairing it with the tracker as my central controllers. gonna use the rd-8 and rd-9 sequencers too for fun. dm12 keyboard can be routed to anything but the rd-8/9

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Waiting for my new bass to arrive like:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

got the polyend play and i'm pairing it with the tracker as my central controllers. gonna use the rd-8 and rd-9 sequencers too for fun. dm12 keyboard can be routed to anything but the rd-8/9

Rig's looking good, but you could use a clamp on shelf to hold a cat cushion or bed.

Keeps them off the keys

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I have never owned a USA made bass, so it is only fitting that I buy a messed up custom shop level one.

The neck is way out and the truss rods are junk. I bought it for the bridge and pickups since I don’t think the neck is coming back.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 1, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Audio. Video. All is one in O(h)m.

Toad goes "bzzzrp".

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Got a little pack o' short stacks too.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sockington posted:

The neck is way out and the truss rods are junk. I bought it for the bridge and pickups since I don’t think the neck is coming back.

Look on the bright side.

If it doesn't work as a bass, that neck would make a mighty fine boomerang.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

H13 posted:

Look on the bright side.

If it doesn't work as a bass, that neck would make a mighty fine boomerang.

I don’t think I’ll need to worry about a boomerang. I pulled the two 3/16” truss rods and am almost done fabricating two 1/4” truss rods with new hardware. :getin:

Original rod versus the beef :awesome:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
did anyone teach you this stuff or did you just go so hard you figured it out?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

muike posted:

Having seen a lot of his posts it's more like no one told him he couldn't do it, so...

Edit to add my first purchase to arrive for the Xmas Season

B-Stock Squier Paranormal Stratosonic that came in the original packaging, all plastic still on the pickups and guard, with the styrofoam on the switch tip and the "space blanket" over the headstock. Heavy discount but it looks brand new to me.

widefault fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2023

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

I’ve built up a decent little woodshop in the past year and figured there were a lot of overlapping skills starting to add up. I’ve just learned stuff building things I’ve needed in my life along the way. I’ve built a lot of poo poo over the years

My local friend wanted me to build my own bass as a learning thing and this seemed like a cheap way to get all the parts. Then he put the bird in my ear to maybe try and fix it for zero risk. So here we are.
I watched one video on someone fixing a jazz bass and said let’s roll.

As widefault says, if left without adult supervision…

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Needs more clamps. Where's the clamps

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hell yeah dude that rules

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
asked calsynth to restock quarks and now i have one and my niftycases are full :). i have 4 more cases that are not full however...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Sockington posted:

I’ve built up a decent little woodshop in the past year and figured there were a lot of overlapping skills starting to add up. I’ve just learned stuff building things I’ve needed in my life along the way. I’ve built a lot of poo poo over the years

My local friend wanted me to build my own bass as a learning thing and this seemed like a cheap way to get all the parts. Then he put the bird in my ear to maybe try and fix it for zero risk. So here we are.
I watched one video on someone fixing a jazz bass and said let’s roll.

As widefault says, if left without adult supervision…

I mean, wood can't rust, right?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

I finished the machining work yesterday and brought it by my old school setup guy. He asked if I did it “at work” but told him it was just me in the garage with a few albums of music and basic power tools and files. Patted me on the back, “good job with the luthiery” and said finish it up.

Planed down some quartersawn maple and slapped some inserts on top while making sure the rod still turned nicely as I clamped. See how it all works out once flush cut and put back together :iiam:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I get the "gently caress it I'll do it myself" attitude. It only took paying too much for a lovely setup job once for me to decide to learn DIY luthier work. It's paid off in being able to act as my band's guitar tech. I've never done anything that extensive but that's beautiful work and I respect the hustle. I do similar over the top refurbishing in my other hobby of amateur astronomy. Get tons of good gear cheap that way.

Can't wait to see the finished work.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Santa is bringing a piano for my daughter and me this year.

Bundle was on sale for less than the next lowest cost hammer weighted piano on its own. My completely rookie perspective says the keys feel substantially hefty, and have bounce.

Lessons to follow.
Also: this was a lot more difficult to wrangle onto a versa than I had expected.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 13, 2023

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And two more have come in

Harmony H7000WA, seen here with it's ash/maple sibling

Same German Carve body, but this time with a "walnut" stain that looks pretty wine red to me. It also has factory DiMarzios, which the ash one also had but I did not get with it. Funny thing, I have the Hondo and Harmony ash cousins...

And now I have Harmony and Hondo Wine Red cousins, too.

And to continue the theme, a Hondo Deluxe Series 760

With it's younger sibling, a Hondo Standard Series 7600

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Harmony H75/MR bass. Jazz body, P-Bass split pickup and a humbucker at the bridge

And a B5 Bigsby kit for a project in progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Christmas gifts from my partner! I am super pumped to add both to my board, hard part will be figuring out how to fit it all/taking some stuff off my current board to fit the new stuff.