Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Sure we can still look behind waterfalls, but when's the last time you had to swim up a waterfall by mashing buttons so hard you started developing carpal tunnel and broke the controller? It's a lost art I tell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The last time I tried that a bear reached in and grabbed my dude. 'Twas my last life, too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

They can't get rid of waterfall secrets because you're a jaded nerd in your 30s. There are still 12 year olds out there who feel joy when they find something behind a waterfall in a game, and there always will be.

12 year olds shouldn't be playing games those are for us jaded 30+ year olds, they should be working the mines. Fine on breaks they can play old games with the tropes I'll allow that because I'm such a nice person.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pinball has come a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOp7nv_VKSg

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sorry but waterfalls peaked when earthbound made you put down the controller and not touch any buttons for 3 minutes. That made me so loving mad as a kid because it never occurred to me that I could use that time to go take a poo poo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do think something is lost without having a physical playfield/ball but screens are getting to the point where it can be pretty convincing so I bet it's the smarter choice.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This piddley what they have done. I am ashamed that this is what you have seen.

VPForums for all you was once a

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Most game endings aren't good but this one is

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The Talos Principle 2 is my game of the year. It's one of the best I've played.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zeluth posted:

This piddley what they have done. I am ashamed that this is what you have seen.

VPForums for all you was once a

To be clear I was thinking about the full 4k 120+hz pinball cabinet setups not playing on a desktop. The illusion doesn't work if your staring at a vertical screen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

!Klams posted:

The Talos Principle 2 is my game of the year. It's one of the best I've played.

After hearing how great the first one was and finding it to be utter garbage, I am curious if TP2 is actually good this time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depends what you disliked about the first one, they did refine the mechanics to make the puzzles less fiddly overall

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My take on the console vs PC thing is no-one ever made me fill in a form using Excel on a GameCube and I've never seen a PlayStation with Teams on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played Tears of the Kingdom for over 100 hours and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of my favorite games this year. It's also one of the most overrated games in history and kind of a crap sequel. Breath of the Wild is a much better game. TOTK leans super hard into all of the wrong things and doesn't improve on any of BOTWs shortcomings, in favor of doubling down on parts of the game that were already good and mostly just makes them worse. It's a really fun but unfocused game that mostly feels like sort of a mess.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is there more dreadful phrase than 'productivity software'

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Who doesnt like spreadsheet software?

You have all these numbers flying around in you head mocking you. Put them in their grid prison and force them to make all kinds of work for you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vic posted:

Who doesnt like spreadsheet software?

You have all these numbers flying around in you head mocking you. Put them in their grid prison and force them to make all kinds of work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnffe374Upw

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waltzing Along posted:

After hearing how great the first one was and finding it to be utter garbage, I am curious if TP2 is actually good this time.

Oh, no, you'll loving hate it. It's TP++, but like, +++++. One thing I don't like as much is it seems like they've signposted all the 'secret' puzzles this time around. That absolutely cannot be true given how insane some of the ones in the first game were.

Actually, now I think about it, you could have missed the secret puzzles in the first game, and then I think I would probably have only rated it as highly as The Witness or something. It was all the crazy out of bounds stuff that made the first game so great. The reason I think it made the game 'great' and not just more fun, is because ... oh God I'm gonna use the term "Ludonarrative Harmony" unironically... but, yeah, the synthesis of plot and gameplay mechanics there was truly inspired. I suppose maybe the sequel is making a different point, hence the signposting.

If this post sounds like I'm just huffing my own farts then, you know, yeah, fair. But I love that stuff. I love when people bother to put these subtexts in. Even when it's ham fisted like Bioshock, or when it borders on arch, like Braid / The Witness, or spoon fed, like Talos, I still enjoy it a lot. It's one of my favourite things. I dunno, like, the graphics in The Talos Principle 2 are really really lovely, and there are gorgeous mountains, forests and lakes, as well as mesmerizing huge monuments and intricate statues, and it's all really lovely to look at... And that is in itself a ... plot? point. Plot isn't the right word, but it's a theme that the game directly talks about. I enjoy that.

I think it's because I'm a big dumb dumb. Like, sure, I'll look at an Unreal engine demo and go "Woah, this technology is amazing", but I might not consider the beauty of it the same way I would a tree, and dwell on why I make that distinction. I feel like playing something like TP2 it's like having someone sit and play with me that isn't a dullard give me the Socratic method and pull epiphanies out of my stupid bonebrain.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I played Tears of the Kingdom for over 100 hours and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of my favorite games this year. It's also one of the most overrated games in history and kind of a crap sequel. Breath of the Wild is a much better game. TOTK leans super hard into all of the wrong things and doesn't improve on any of BOTWs shortcomings, in favor of doubling down on parts of the game that were already good and mostly just makes them worse. It's a really fun but unfocused game that mostly feels like sort of a mess.

I loved TOTK too but my thoughts were basically the complete opposite of this. I could not get into BOTW at all.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i never really clicked with Breath of the Wild, I'm only like 2 hours into Tears but I love the way the world is broken up, it gives it more of a sense of adventure or something idk

i doubt i'll finish it but its promising

anyway, back to dota, apparently lone druid is broken just now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aladdin shows up at your balcony offering to show you the world on a magic carpet but you say nah, time for League.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

!Klams posted:

Oh, no, you'll loving hate it. It's TP++, but like, +++++. One thing I don't like as much is it seems like they've signposted all the 'secret' puzzles this time around. That absolutely cannot be true given how insane some of the ones in the first game were.

Actually, now I think about it, you could have missed the secret puzzles in the first game, and then I think I would probably have only rated it as highly as The Witness or something. It was all the crazy out of bounds stuff that made the first game so great. The reason I think it made the game 'great' and not just more fun, is because ... oh God I'm gonna use the term "Ludonarrative Harmony" unironically... but, yeah, the synthesis of plot and gameplay mechanics there was truly inspired. I suppose maybe the sequel is making a different point, hence the signposting.

If this post sounds like I'm just huffing my own farts then, you know, yeah, fair. But I love that stuff. I love when people bother to put these subtexts in. Even when it's ham fisted like Bioshock, or when it borders on arch, like Braid / The Witness, or spoon fed, like Talos, I still enjoy it a lot. It's one of my favourite things. I dunno, like, the graphics in The Talos Principle 2 are really really lovely, and there are gorgeous mountains, forests and lakes, as well as mesmerizing huge monuments and intricate statues, and it's all really lovely to look at... And that is in itself a ... plot? point. Plot isn't the right word, but it's a theme that the game directly talks about. I enjoy that.

I think it's because I'm a big dumb dumb. Like, sure, I'll look at an Unreal engine demo and go "Woah, this technology is amazing", but I might not consider the beauty of it the same way I would a tree, and dwell on why I make that distinction. I feel like playing something like TP2 it's like having someone sit and play with me that isn't a dullard give me the Socratic method and pull epiphanies out of my stupid bonebrain.

Talos Principle, The Witness, Braid could all learn a thing about story telling from Baba is You.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Talos principle had a plot?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Waltzing Along posted:

Talos principle had a plot?

Yep. A pretty cool one too. And the sequel runs with the ball really well.

I'm surprised anyone in this thread was able to enjoy either game to be honest, they require an earnest credulity that's been beaten out of you all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I first picked up Talos Principle when it came out and thought it was an ok Portal like, but was put off by the pretentious writing and forgot about it after a few hours. Picked it back up like a year later and absolutely loving loved it. I think the first time I played it I didn't realize the pretentiousness was by design because I didn't get far enough. It's actually a very funny game with a great story. Loved the ending. Also that style of puzzle game is the best and no one else really makes them anymore.

I hope I can finish Jedi Survivor in time to make TP2 my last game of 2023. Speaking of, I don't know if this is unpopular, but Jedi Survivor is fantastic and one of the best sequels to a mid game I have played in eons. It's a shame it got dragged so hard over performance issues cause it's one of the best games of 2023.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

George posted:

Yep. A pretty cool one too. And the sequel runs with the ball really well.

I'm surprised anyone in this thread was able to enjoy either game to be honest, they require an earnest credulity that's been beaten out of you all.

Having a plot can be forgiven if the puzzles in the puzzle game are fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the plot in talos 1 is mostly in text you read on terminals you can find around the puzzle stages so if you wanna ignore it you can do so easily enough

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the plot in talos 1 is mostly in text you read on terminals you can find around the puzzle stages so if you wanna ignore it you can do so easily enough

I always wonder do people who read terminals/logs etc. not know books exist? Like there are whole stores filled with them as well as places where you can borrow them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think reading is a much harder activity for some people, like it doesn't happen automatically like it's supposed to, and that's why they don't read stuff in games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duck and Cover posted:

I always wonder do people who read terminals/logs etc. not know books exist? Like there are whole stores filled with them as well as places where you can borrow them.

I always wonder do people who watch cutscenes etc. not know TV/movies exist? Like there are whole stores filled with them as well as places where you can watch them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

I always wonder do people who watch cutscenes etc. not know TV/movies exist? Like there are whole stores filled with them as well as places where you can watch them.

this but unironically
idk why anyone plays AAA storygames like red dead or last of us 5

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

jokes posted:

Exactly.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My problem with Talos was that I wanted it to be less predictable for a game about breaking away from the expected path. I've said it before, but I wanted more like an Icepick Lodge puzzler, like The Void or Pathologic but instead of a plague there are puzzles or something. It's not really the game's fault, I just had weird expectations. The game was fine, sort of like Portal but instead of funny jokes it has philosophy.

I remember there was this AI you could chat with who was always questioning things and I assumed they were smart and appreciated lively discussion, but if you argue with them instead of agreeing with everything they say, they turn into a little bitch and kill themselves. I guess they were just a nihilist and it was my fault for having sympathy for nihilists. I'm glad I didn't take them with me into the real world.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Talos 1 is freshman level philosophy and its funny to see anyone think its deep.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Honestly if any sort of subject matter even reaches freshmen level in any form of popular media it's pretty rare. It's fine, freshman level is fun and beyond what most people are aware of anyway.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Saying something is "freshman level philosophy" is like jerking it 10 times a day to something so extremely niche you can't even get it up unless it looks like you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

yeah exactly

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Talos Principle 1 and 2 is cool and good. Though I feel they reduced the difficulty in the sequel, I only really got stumped by a few bonus puzzles.

But it's always a balance in creating a puzzle game - you have to create something that the average player can complete and still feel smart for completing, go too far one way and it just feels like busywork, and go too far the other way and you end up with Snakebird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Talos 1 is freshman level philosophy and its funny to see anyone think its deep.

You should make a PHD level philosophy video game then space homos