Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Data Graham posted:

Kind of along the lines of "you have selected regicide"
That's at least more closely connected to what's going on. Besides, automated customer service lines are always evergreen joke material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Milhouse joke strikes me as a situation where the original punchline probably made sense, but then someone decided to punch it up. So you get a writers room trying to top each other on the worst or weirdest thing that could be happening to Milhouse and they come up with stigmata, not realizing that it doesn't actually connect back to the setup at all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
milhouse is holy

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wouldn't be surprised it was "trauma", then it was changed to "stigma", but somebody mistook it for stigmata and nobody noticed until it was too late

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

laserghost posted:

Wouldn't be surprised it was "trauma", then it was changed to "stigma", but somebody mistook it for stigmata and nobody noticed until it was too late

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I only just realised how hilarious Kent Brockman's daughter's hair is, lmao.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

well...she was right about the Berlin Wall...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://twitter.com/OOCCouchGags/status/1465450682526441474?s=20

This is fairly funny I guess, and more surprisingly there is actual acting going on in the animation. What the crap.

Still though, there's some weird uncanny-valley stuff going on with the movements, and it doesn't look like The Simpsons at all

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That is probably the laziest “Aslan is an allegory of Jesus Christ” :airquote:joke:airquote: I’ve ever witnessed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Huge fursona vibes from that Aslan.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Data Graham posted:

https://twitter.com/OOCCouchGags/status/1465450682526441474?s=20

This is fairly funny I guess, and more surprisingly there is actual acting going on in the animation. What the crap.

Still though, there's some weird uncanny-valley stuff going on with the movements, and it doesn't look like The Simpsons at all

Holy poo poo Marge sounds almost like Marge there. How old is this?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Bad news everybody

quote:

The other day came the news that “As Good As It Gets” filmmaker and regular “The Simpsons” executive producer James L. Brooks was returning to the big screen to direct a new dramedy titled “Ella McKay” at 20th Century Studios and starring “Sex Education” alum Emma Mackey.

However, a new report indicates the film is actually the herald of a much larger and even more commercial project – a potential “The Simpsons” sequel film.

The InSneider reports that whilst talking with a studio insider, they learned that “20th Century may have had an ulterior motive in greenlighting” the film – the studio wants Brooks to mount “The Simpsons Movie 2” along with creator Matt Groening and the show’s writing staff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can’t wait for the celebrity cameos

Trilly Joel
Apr 27, 2023

`
15:49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLDjsXKnChc&t=949s

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The movie should have ended the series.

But lol and lmao.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The movie should have ended the series.

But lol and lmao.

It’ll be even funnier if this new one still doesn’t end it.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Huge fursona vibes from that Aslan.

https://x.com/_KO_panda/status/1728547370810609675?s=20

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Can’t wait for the celebrity cameos

Can't wait for the appearances of lovely dipshit billionaires accompanied by Lisa singing their praises.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha the first Simpsons movie was one of only 2 movies my group walked out of.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I only remember a few things about it

"haha child penis" sucks and isn't funny and doesn't fit with the simpsons values as a show

even more complex over-shadowed looking lovely animation

why the hell is half the movie taking place in a cabin in alaska

I fell asleep and woke up as apparently bart and homer were riding a motorcycle up the side of the big glass dome somehow and it's all in 3d for some reason

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toxic Mental posted:

I only remember a few things about it

"haha child penis" sucks and isn't funny and doesn't fit with the simpsons values as a show

I still don’t understand what the hell they were thinking with that. It was so awkward and not funny at all.

I remember thinking it was funny that they had so little faith in their movie audience that they just made their Arnold parody character just him for the movie. Also the jokes about how wacky it would be if he was president aged like wine.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Khanstant posted:

Haha the first Simpsons movie was one of only 2 movies my group walked out of.

lmao

I guess they can get away with this in a streaming-first world, where view numbers can be skewed harder than ticket sales and its easier to just impulse buy a viewing of it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'll never forget how I saw the movie in a full theater, and everyone was laughing a lot for the first third or so of the movie, but I distinctly felt like everyone was forcing themselves to laugh because it's The Simpsons... it's funny and witty... right? It died off pretty hard by the halfway point.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'll never forget how I saw the movie in a full theater, and everyone was laughing a lot for the first third or so of the movie, but I distinctly felt like everyone was forcing themselves to laugh because it's The Simpsons... it's funny and witty... right? It died off pretty hard by the halfway point.

I distinctly remember this exact same thing actually

god drat

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Only thing I recall when it came out, aside from nonstop Spiderpig posting online, was a mate seeing it in theatre and recounting the funniest moment that made everyone laugh-

The fake out 'to be continued', followed by a very loud 'GET hosed' from an audience member, followed further by '... right now' and finished with the same bloke uttering a soft 'oh'.

That and the mob scene halfway through, which I remember looking really out of place with how it was animated.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The one cool thing about the movie was that they turned a handful of 7-Elevens across the country into Kwik E Marts and I was right down the road from one of them. The lengths they went were pretty impressive. You could buy a bunch of Simpsons food, Kwik E Mart merch, they even changed the signs out front and had the employees wearing Kwik E Mart shirts.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

don't forget the marge playboy tie in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The branding of the movie where it was all about that donut with the pink icing. Just seemed so ... completely oblivious to what was funny about the Simpsons. Donuts! Lol!

Like the singing dolphins at the beginning of the HHGttG movie.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
An animated feature that's suddenly less funny after about 2 hours? Almost like they need an intermission so people can take another hit

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Paingod556 posted:

The fake out 'to be continued', followed by a very loud 'GET hosed' from an audience member, followed further by '... right now' and finished with the same bloke uttering a soft 'oh'.

Borderlands 3 had the same bit and it didn't even stand out amongst all the other awful writing in that game.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still don’t understand what the hell they were thinking with that. It was so awkward and not funny at all.

they got so caught up in the (admittedly halfway decent) subversion of the classic "various objects obscure nudity" idea that they forgot the nudity in question was a ten year old boy

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the discussion in the writers’ room should have been “who in springfield has the funniest penis” and there is no way bart is anywhere near that conversation at any age

there are so many choices but it’s probably hans moleman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ror posted:

the discussion in the writers’ room should have been “who in springfield has the funniest penis” and there is no way bart is anywhere near that conversation at any age

there are so many choices but it’s probably hans moleman

...dammit, you're not wrong

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Burns canonically

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You know Flanders is packing heat too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

You know Flanders is packing heat too

Canonically

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

womb with a view posted:

don't forget the marge playboy tie in

Someone here once pointed out Groening put his name on that but refused to put his name on the Critic crossover episode and it still amuses me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

Someone here once pointed out Groening put his name on that but refused to put his name on the Critic crossover episode and it still amuses me

lol Matt Groening DREW that Playboy spread

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The one cool thing about the movie was that they turned a handful of 7-Elevens across the country into Kwik E Marts and I was right down the road from one of them. The lengths they went were pretty impressive. You could buy a bunch of Simpsons food, Kwik E Mart merch, they even changed the signs out front and had the employees wearing Kwik E Mart shirts.

Didn’t 7/11 workers complain it was racist? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Wasn't there also some contest to decide what state Springfield is in? Like that matters at all.