Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

null_pointer posted:

How much shaping typically goes into a higher hydration dough, before it starts to hold shape? The one, above, that I ended up chucking probably took two turn and folds, a coil fold, and two envelope folds while still ending up runny as hell.

What's your record for how much shaping you had to do before things finally stopped being slack?

I think high enough hydration dough will always be a little slack and that's ok.

My sourdough is about 80-85% hydration. To strengthen, it has a long autolyse period, 10 minutes of aggressive kneading and at least 6 stretch and folds during bulk fermentation. It is not easy to work with, but the results are amazing.

Even after all this, when it comes time for bench rest after pre-shaping, it will flatten somewhat. If it flattens to the thickness of a pancake, that means you didnt strengthen it enough. But once the loaves are shaped, they go directly into the proofing baskets which help keep the shape, and then into the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Should I buy a bread machine

I like the idea of throwing poo poo into a pot and pressing a button and getting bread out without any of the mess involved in mixing and kneading bread.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like the idea of throwing poo poo into a pot and pressing a button and getting bread out without any of the mess involved in mixing and kneading bread.

I would buy a used one from Goodwill or whatever your local thrift store is.
You can make fantastic bread with a bread machine, depending on the brand, you get weird texture (gluten structure?). Most of them rise and bake a vertical loaf, so the bread grain goes opposite of what you would expect. You will also always have a butt, or dimple on your loaf due to always having a mixing paddle.

If you want a hands free loaf of bread, I would like to suggest giving no-knead bread a try.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022147-updated-no-knead-bread
There are a bunch of variations, and there are a million different ways to customize a loaf and make it your own, once you get comfortable with your technique.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. You will find the results unsatisfying. For almost the same amount of effort but much better results go no-knead. That’s what a bread machine did for me: got me into no-knead.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
People are always selling or giving away bread machines. You could get one for like $20 at a Goodwill or on Facebook and give it a shot that way.

I suspect it depends on what style you like, if you want instagram boules of crusty sourdough with ears and very specific crumbs vs. if you want a replacement for grocery store sandwich bread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did few loaves in one, decided I wanted to shape and manage it myself, and then used it just to knead. After it burnt out, I got a 1930's Hobart 5-gallon mixer from Craigslist.

I'm saying it escalates very quickly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did few loaves in one, decided I wanted to shape and manage it myself, and then used it just to knead. After it burnt out, I got a 1930's Hobart 5-gallon mixer from Craigslist.

I'm saying it escalates very quickly.

Yeah, I use my KA if I need to knead

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been trying to get my bread back on track, did a couple of loaves yesterday

Bit of an extreme ear on that one but not too unhappy with these ones. I need to work on the shaping though, my ends are always a bit funny. Does anyone have a good batard shaping video that they like?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The way I make bread most of the time is: I knead it in the mixer, let it proof in the bowl it keaded in, clear a space on the counter to shape it and then let it second-proof in the tin. If you're using a fairly low hydration dough (this is 58%) then there shouldn't be much, if any mess. Unless you're doing something ridiculous like the 80% pizza dough I did last night, you don't need extra flour to knead even if doing it on the surface.

For me, I always have to tidy up a bit first, so the kitchen comes out cleaner than when I started. :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

The way I make bread most of the time is: I knead it in the mixer, let it proof in the bowl it keaded in, clear a space on the counter to shape it and then let it second-proof in the tin. If you're using a fairly low hydration dough (this is 58%) then there shouldn't be much, if any mess. Unless you're doing something ridiculous like the 80% pizza dough I did last night, you don't need extra flour to knead even if doing it on the surface.

For me, I always have to tidy up a bit first, so the kitchen comes out cleaner than when I started. :v:

My standard white loaf is usually a boule and is made the conventional no knead method, but I like to make a dense sticky wholemeal using coarse flour and regular wholemeal flour, and this is pretty much the method I use. Although I just knock it back and put it straight into the tin, so I don’t even have the counter shaping step.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Would you guys recommend Tartine or The Perfect Loaf for getting started with a sourdough starter? I've heard FWSY is excessively wasteful in its levain instructions.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Anyone have a babka recipe they really like?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dphi posted:

Anyone have a babka recipe they really like?

I still use this one from Jerusalem

https://thepaddingtonfoodie.com/2013/09/23/baking-at-carisbrook-from-ottolenghis-jerusalem-chocolate-krantz-cake/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Would you guys recommend Tartine or The Perfect Loaf for getting started with a sourdough starter? I've heard FWSY is excessively wasteful in its levain instructions.

Tartine, all the way

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I made a sourdough rye boule with sunflower and flax seeds (the only non-rye flour came from the sourdough starter). the flavor is so aggressive

i've gotten dough hooked so hooked on bread baking, I've been making like 3 loaves a week. Life is good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I haven't had an oven since June (renovations). I used to make all our bread including GF for my son. I miss it...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Been trying to get my bread back on track, did a couple of loaves yesterday

Bit of an extreme ear on that one but not too unhappy with these ones. I need to work on the shaping though, my ends are always a bit funny. Does anyone have a good batard shaping video that they like?

That looks amazing. What recipe did you use?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cimber posted:

That looks amazing. What recipe did you use?

Just the basic Perfect Loaf sourdough recipe. I've been stripping it back to basics. I think my wholemeal flour is a bit too wholemeal and it's flattening my loaves a bit.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Made some Japanese Milk Bread a la King Arthur.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
seeing this thread come up reminded me that i need to go do some kneading, thanks cephas. nice looking bread

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Posting on a whim while making pork stock and rendering lard: anyone have recommendations for a nice lame? My wife bought a really lovely one a few years ago, and a new, actually nice one would make a good stocking stuffer. Hoping to spend around $20 on one with replaceable blades if that’s reasonable.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Lawnie posted:

Posting on a whim while making pork stock and rendering lard: anyone have recommendations for a nice lame? My wife bought a really lovely one a few years ago, and a new, actually nice one would make a good stocking stuffer. Hoping to spend around $20 on one with replaceable blades if that’s reasonable.

How about this one from Breadtopia? And if you ever get into wet shaving with a double-edged razor, you and her can share blades!

Good cheap blades can be found in bulk from Amazon or a small business like Maggard's Razors. That Breadtopia lame comes with Derby blades, which are fine, and if you do get into shaving you can probably share Astra blades (assuming they work for you). No need to splurge on Japanese steel here.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Cephas posted:

Looks good, but I feel like it should have risen a bit more. I think the instructions say to have it about 1 inch above the edge of the pan before it goes into the oven. Mine is usually billowing several inches above the edge when I take it out of the oven. How did the kneading and shaping go?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's against family tradition to give sharp things as gifts unless you also give them a lucky penny, so be sure to add a shiny $0.01

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lawnie posted:

I have trouble using pen-style lames, so I bought this circular one from Etsy. It's pretty and it works. They have a lot of different styles, and I chose the simplest. Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SunkiCraft

This is held together by a brass screw and socket, and it's easy to swap out the blade. You can also choose to store it with the blade retracted; I bought a pouch instead.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Cephas posted:

Immediately started making this after seeing these photos. Of course I realized after kneading that I had left out the egg. Will be interesting to see how it turns out I suppose...

Might be making a second loaf this evening and actually doing it correctly cause drat that's beautiful.

e: Ended up not missing the egg at all, really happy with how this turned out.

Jato fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 3, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have trouble using pen-style lames, so I bought this circular one from Etsy. It's pretty and it works. They have a lot of different styles, and I chose the simplest. Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SunkiCraft

This is held together by a brass screw and socket, and it's easy to swap out the blade. You can also choose to store it with the blade retracted; I bought a pouch instead.

This is pretty, but she’s an artist and likes to make artistic decorations so I’ll probably go with a pen-style. Thanks though!

effika posted:

How about this one from Breadtopia? And if you ever get into wet shaving with a double-edged razor, you and her can share blades!

Good cheap blades can be found in bulk from Amazon or a small business like Maggard's Razors. That Breadtopia lame comes with Derby blades, which are fine, and if you do get into shaving you can probably share Astra blades (assuming they work for you). No need to splurge on Japanese steel here.

Perfect. I don’t shave more than 3x per week usually so I’m probably going to continue slumming it with the disposable cartridges.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

null_pointer posted:

Looks good, but I feel like it should have risen a bit more. I think the instructions say to have it about 1 inch above the edge of the pan before it goes into the oven. Mine is usually billowing several inches above the edge when I take it out of the oven. How did the kneading and shaping go?

My only loaf pan is a 13x4 Pullman pan, so I scaled KA's recipe to 1.5x to make enough dough to fit the pan. IIRC the total weight of the dough was almost exactly 960 grams. It was my first time baking in the Pullman pan, so I was trying to avoid overfilling it. I could probably have increased the dough size by a couple hundred grams total and had a taller resulting loaf. I tended to let things proof and rise on the longer side of the recipe's recommendations, and I hand-kneaded for about 30 minutes (still working on my technique), so I think the dough probably rose as much as I could have gotten it to.

Makes a ridiculously good BLT, though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

I think I give up on trying to use the bannetons with no-knead bread. Still came out ok and waiting for it to cool, but the dough got seriously stuck to the basket. This is an attempt at Flour Water Salt Yeast's mixed levain and bakers' yeast loaf with some rye flour thrown in. I'm going to try some pure sourdough loaves using the starter I just made and see how it goes.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Not sure what you are using in your bannetons, but rice flour fixed the sticking problem for me.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I have used it before, but cannot find it anywhere near me. I also just don't like the way it looks compared to the little wheat flour rings

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I use cornmeal, which usually comes out giving your crust darker rings and a little bit of texture (which you may or may not prefer, I love it).

I don't think I've ever seen rice flour around me, either, unless it's in one of the scooper bins at the fancy grocery stores. I've never checked because I'm usually too distracted trying to keep my kids from digging around with the scoopers in the barrel of gummy worms.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
In my store it's in the Hispanic foods aisle.
I get not liking rice flour, before I had bannetons I would set my loaves in parchment paper and support them with towels pushed under the edge of the parchment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm impressed by all you being able to tell by sight which flour is making those concentric circles on your bread

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
try the free-from section for rice flour as its gluten-free.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Scones are a quick bread, so they count in this thread, right?

How come my scones seem to come out more like a muffin and less like a dense scone?

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter (which is crumble and mix into the flour by hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder

All this gets mixed well together, then I add:
1 egg
1/2ish cup blueberries.
Mix this together, ensuring the egg yolk is broken up. Then:

less than 1/2 cup milk. I only add a dash of milk at a time and mix, until it just starts to come together as a dough.

I put a generous tablespoon into my triangle scone pans, cook at 425 for 15ish minutes. Comes out good, but pretty risen. Like i said, more like a muffin than a scone.

[edit] Here's what I made this morning.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 10, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cimber posted:

Scones are a quick bread, so they count in this thread, right?

How come my scones seem to come out more like a muffin and less like a dense scone?

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter (which is crumble and mix into the flour by hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder

All this gets mixed well together, then I add:
1 egg
1/2ish cup blueberries.
Mix this together, ensuring the egg yolk is broken up. Then:

less than 1/2 cup milk. I only add a dash of milk at a time and mix, until it just starts to come together as a dough.

I put a generous tablespoon into my triangle scone pans, cook at 425 for 15ish minutes. Comes out good, but pretty risen. Like i said, more like a muffin than a scone.

[edit] Here's what I made this morning.

My #1 question is where's the buttermilk? #2, where's the baking soda? The flour/sugar/powder ratio seems way off too. Wherever you got this recipe it just seems to be missing a lot of the really basic elements. Although I will say we've never used a scone pan, so I'm not sure how that affects it.

My wife makes scones all the time and this is the recipe she uses (for sweet berry scones, others have some variations):

3 cups flour (all-purpose)
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
2½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp kosher salt
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Then there's a mix of roughly 1-2 cups of mixed berries, and optionally some heavy cream and sugar to be brushed/sprinkled on top.

It sounds like you're probably doing the butter right, but just in case, make sure it's as cold as possible and you're cutting it into the dough without melting it. And then to shape them, basically the dough just gets gently shaped into a thick disc and then cut with a dough cutter.

Also notice no egg, though I'm not necessarily saying that's a requirement. Just posting what works for us.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 9, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

My #1 question is where's the buttermilk? #2, where's the baking soda? The flour/sugar/powder ratio seems way off too. Wherever you got this recipe it just seems to be missing a lot of the really basic elements. Although I will say we've never used a scone pan, so I'm not sure how that affects it.

My wife makes scones all the time and this is the recipe she uses (for sweet berry scones, others have some variations):

3 cups flour (all-purpose)
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
2½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp kosher salt
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Then there's a mix of roughly 1-2 cups of mixed berries, and optionally some heavy cream and sugar to be brushed/sprinkled on top.

It sounds like you're probably doing the butter right, but just in case, make sure it's as cold as possible and you're cutting it into the dough without melting it. And then to shape them, basically the dough just gets gently shaped into a thick disc and then cut with a dough cutter.

Also notice no egg, though I'm not necessarily saying that's a requirement. Just posting what works for us.

I pulled that recipe from the King Arthur cookbook. Don't need baking soda because baking powder is the soda plus cream of tartar that gets activated with the liquid. Baking soda needs an additional acid (your buttermilk) to activate.

How thick does her scone come out? Is it denser than my photo is of mine?

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 9, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
When I make scones that turn into scuffins it's because I used a recipe with eggs and didn't keep my butter chilled. Treat them like southern biscuits and they'll come out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://profoodhomemade.com/savoury-cheese-scones/

I made these the other day and they were so extremely good. Had to make my own mustard powder in the grinder, but 100% will make again.

I feel like UK recipies generally won't have buttermilk in because it's something I've never seen for sale anywhere. They'll normally be something like this:
https://bakingwithgranny.co.uk/recipe/scones/cherry-scones/

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 9, 2023