Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Whose birthday was it on set?

I don’t know, but Bill Paxton is more excited for cake at that moment than I have been for anything in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Al Matthews' 43rd.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hell yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does this thread exist if y’all ain’t gonna post aliens news in it??

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1729268072434045047

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Why does this thread exist if y’all ain’t gonna post aliens news in it??

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1729268072434045047

First I've heard about it. Thanks for the news!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can we also get Ian McShane as a horrifying Weyland-Yutani exec? Thank you in advance!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

Can we also get Ian McShane as a horrifying Weyland-Yutani exec? Thank you in advance!

gently caress, you’re gonna make me watch Deadwood again. But that’s a good thing because then I can watch the movie that I haven’t seen yet!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm happy with any new Alien property as long as it opens with someone facing the camera and stating "the aliens from alien have been around a long time. The goo also does even weirder stuff than the alien aliens, the reason they all looked like alien alien variants in Covenant is because David was an unoriginal hack. Actually yes, on reflection, Covenant is a film about how AI art is incapable of true originality. Also Alien aliens have an in-universe name now because Xenomorph and Alien don't work as names when you've got more than one kind running around. Thanks and good bless."

But I have weird tastes in media so

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do we know when the series is set?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The future.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So removed from the AvP movies huh?

Looks like Romulus is set between alien and aliens:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/alien-romulus-set-between-first-two-cailee-spaeny-1235810521/amp/

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s set during the time period best suited to anger nerds

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

From the Timothy O announcement:

quote:

Executive produced by Ridley Scott, the new Alien series is set in a time period before Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley and is the first story in the franchise that takes place on Earth, roughly 70 years in the future.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The article linked to says:

quote:

the new Alien series is set in a time period before Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley and is the first story in the franchise that takes place on Earth, roughly 70 years in the future.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Setting it pre-Alien they've written themselves into a weird box where either it's going to be Alien without the titular Alien, which granted still has a lot of meat on the bone with the corporate dystopia and robots and poo poo if the writers are good but needs a deft hand at the helm.

OR

A bunch of prequel-itis garbage where they have to show how WY has known about the alien forever and actually humans keep encountering the loving things and shoehorn it into all the nooks and crannies of the timeline.

I'd actually prefer the former, just do some Blade Runner meets The Expanse type poo poo; but I don't think they have the discipline not to have that second little set of jaws pop out at us like jangly keys.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’d love to see a theme where the Alien isn’t necessarily hunting anyone yet, it’s picking off lone people here and there as it tries to build up a hive and they’re just treating it like random disappearances at most, with people getting progressively more Darwin Era cult-like (from Dark Descent) as the series goes on.

At least until a wayward colony gets burned to the ground for “rebelling” or failing to meet their WY quotas for whatever they’re supposed to be producing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

From the Timothy O announcement:

Oh for gently caress’s sake. Just set it after the events at Hadley’s Hope.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cessna posted:

The article linked to says:

Lolll it's already hosed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just give me one Alien, that’s a ambush murderbastard. None of this army of them getting mowed down in a zerg rush, no xenomorph horseshit (such a worthless, lame af name), just this horrific creature that cannot be contained by man’s arrogance.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

no xenomorph horseshit (such a worthless, lame af name)
:what:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He didn't mean you man, it's cool, it's cool....

The only way they can have a pre Alien show, IMO, is if no one survives and no/little information makes it out. So we know the Xeno's are out there, but for WT and others, it's an intriguing mystery as to what actually happened.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t know how reputable Deadline is, but

quote:

After working with Noah Hawley on the fifth season of his Emmy-winning drama Fargo, which just debuted last week, David Rysdahl has solidified his place in his FX family with a series regular role in his Alien prequel series, Deadline can exclusively reveal.

Details as to his character are under wraps. But Rysdahl joins a cast that includes Sydney Chandler as the meta-human Wendy, Alex Lawther as soldier CJ, Samuel Blenkin as Boy Kavalier, a CEO, Essie Davis as Dame Silvia, Adarsh Gourav as Slightly, and Kit Young as Tootles.

Announced as joining prior to Rysdahl was Timothy Olyphant, and while his role has not been confirmed, Deadline hears he’ll be playing Kirsh, a synth who acts as a mentor and trainer for Wendy, a character with the body of an adult, but the brain and consciousness of a child.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/alien-david-rysdahl-joins-noah-hawley-fx-series-1235640308/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:negative: stop. just stop, fx

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I made it to 'Boy Kavalier' before my eyes crossed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

quote:

Wendy, a character with the body of an adult, but the brain and consciousness of a child.

Loving this. I've always said Aliens needs to skew more towards anime and pedophelia

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So the main cast of the Alien prequel series is Kirsh, Wendy, CJ, Boy Kavelier, Dame Silvia, Slightly and Tootles.

[rubs glasses, looks again]

So the main cast of the Alien prequel series is Kirsh, Wendy, CJ... Boy Kavelier... Dame Silvia... Slightly... and [rubs glasses again] ah, Tootles?

(Now having visions of a cat driving an APC over a cliff. "Tootles, look ouuuuuuuuut!")

Edit:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 29, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm slightly, sir. He's Tootles.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've got a bad feeling about this....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm slightly, sir. He's Tootles.

Thread title

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I say we take off and nuke the studio from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Game over man...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
CJ: Ah poo poo, here we go again.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We're on an express elevator to Hell! GOIN' DOWN!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh, great. Wonderful. poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Hey have you heard about this born sexy yesterday thing the kids are talking about?"
"Hmmm..." *starts writing furiously*

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don't know which species is worse, you don't see them making c grade adaptations of beloved movie properties.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Small Strange Bird posted:

CJ: Ah poo poo, here we go again.

LV-426. Home. At least it was until I hosed everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When it was first mentioned, I was going to say how I wasn't going to watch it because I don't watch TV series'. I'll watch It's Always Sunny or whatever where you don't need to see the last episode to know what's going on. I hate watching a 12 hour long movie with a cliffhanger each hour. I've never completed a drama TV series since maybe the first season of 24 whenever it came out on DVD like 20 years ago. quick edit: wait, I saw the Chucky TV series

These new developments in this Aliens show however... well they're just :smith:.