Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

It's a playable creepypasta doom wad basically.

why people are putting it on letterboxd, idk, but i watched a youtube video showcasing myhouse and it was pretty cool

it's kinda like if skinamarink was good and had a super shotgun

oh yeah to be clear I know what it is, and I even enjoyed the feature-length YouTube video about it; I just don’t know that I would feel I need to log that video on the filmé site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Two episodes into Fall of the House of Usher and is that the goriest thing Flanagan's ever done? I was not at all expecting that, holy poo poo.

that or the hand scene in Gerald's Game, but yeah it's rad how much he stepped on the gas for the ending of that episode

FLANAGAN i'm begging you commit to making a straight-up brutal goopy killfest. a slasher that only targets monologists, maybe

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Finally starting into 30 Coins season 2 (just finished episode 4).

I love how utterly batshit and unhinged this show is and how it doesn’t hide or run from that aspect.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Naked Man Punch posted:

Finally starting into 30 Coins season 2 (just finished episode 4).

I love how utterly batshit and unhinged this show is and how it doesn’t hide or run from that aspect.

It's so great, and Paul Giamatti is right at home

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Either a dire year for horror or I didn't watch enough. I am seeing Gozilla -1 on Wednesday, so that might move the needle.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Either a dire year for horror or I didn't watch enough. I am seeing Gozilla -1 on Wednesday, so that might move the needle.

It was a front-loaded year for me, three of my top 5 are listed as 2022 on Letterboxd because of festival showings but didn’t actually get releases until Jan/Feb of this year.

History of the Occult is one I haven’t seen yet that people around here seem to really like, I’ll have to check that out soon.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Might as well ask since I'm looking things over, but how is the Screambox service? I've got Shudder as it's own sub, but I know it doesn't have all the options when it's done through Prime.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if history of the occult counts for 2023 that's my flick of the year. Though there's a bunch I haven't seen yet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doltos posted:

They had to stop writing super shotguns into horror films due to plot holes

I know I keep bringing up Phantasm recently, but it does hold the honour of Phantasm 2 prominently featuring a super shotgun.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s been a great and stacked year :hellyeah: and I haven’t even seen everything I’ve wanted to yet either

M_Sinistrari posted:

Might as well ask since I'm looking things over, but how is the Screambox service? I've got Shudder as its own sub, but I know it doesn't have all the options when it's done through Prime.

It’s pretty good. Honestly think I’ve enjoyed what I’ve randomly put on this year more often on there than on Shudder, even in the originals department. I’d recommend checking it out for at least a month and seeing what you think

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know I keep bringing up Phantasm recently, but it does hold the honour of Phantasm 2 prominently featuring a super shotgun.

Even better, that’s a rare super-duper shotgun. See also the super-duper machine gun boat in Waterworld.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the Phantasm series, esp 1+2, was easily in my favourite new watches this year. don't make my mistake and sleep on it for like twenty years

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know I keep bringing up Phantasm recently

As well you should.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Screambox is worth it if briefly for that gorgeous Trick Or Treat remaster. Such a fun film.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

alf_pogs posted:

the Phantasm series, esp 1+2, was easily in my favourite new watches this year. don't make my mistake and sleep on it for like twenty years

Yeah, I'm glad I binged the whole series for the first time in October. The first two are legitimately great, and 3-5 are perfect examples of ambition outreaching budget.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Psycho Goreman was kind of hit and miss for me but that Phantasm gag in it is some A+ material and made me do the Leonardo DiCaprio point at the TV in real life.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

As well you should.

Always a good day for phantasm chat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

honestly i think my two faves are both Argentine horror - When Evil Lurks and History of the Occult, although the latter might be a 2022 release...

the other honourable mentions to round out a top 5 would be Beau is Afraid, Saw X and Infinity Pool i think

History of the Occult apparently came out in 2020, I've seen that. Though that reminds me: LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL is one I need to watch before years end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

History of the Occult apparently came out in 2020, I've seen that. Though that reminds me: LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL is one I need to watch before years end.

Is it out anywhere?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Is it out anywhere?

It only got picked up for distribution this year. It probably wont see a streaming/theatrical release until 2024.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I have no idea, I just know it exists and many people have seen it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want to be one of those people!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Is it out anywhere?

IFC and Shudder bought the rights so I’d expect limited theatrical run (maybe in January? it’s traditionally a dump month which would mean no competition), then streaming on Shudder early 2024… but that’s a shot in the dark guess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out the Insidious movies are not the Conjuring movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Same with Sinister.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Same with Sinister.

Sinister has Ethan Hawke in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Sinister has Ethan Hawke in it.

and thus is the best of the three

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Patrick Wilson is no slouch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Patrick Wilson is no slouch

lol he wishes he had the screen presence of a Hawke

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I ain't saying a word against Patrcik Wilson but Hawke really elevates that character in Sinister. It's a standard lovely dad, but Hawke gives him this kinda manic energy that lets you really feel the stress he's under. Both professionally and dealing with the demon situation

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sinister still holds up really well and is a great watch

Yes, there is a sequel. No, I won't say either of those good things about that one

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol he wishes he had the screen presence of a Hawke

I was gunna add that Ethan Hawke gives pretty effortless performances but I really enjoy me some Pat Wilson

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Patrick Wilson plays an excellent impotent dipshit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't mind the Conjuring series. The first one is legit scary and the rest are good summer trash. I agree Hawke > Wilson but him and Farmiga were really good in the first movie.

Sinister was great up until the Baghoul part. They should have never showed the demon corrupting the kids.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

I don't mind the Conjuring series. The first one is legit scary and the rest are good summer trash. I agree Hawke > Wilson but him and Farmiga were really good in the first movie.

Sinister was great up until the Baghoul part. They should have never showed the demon corrupting the kids.

They fuckin establish that it only exists in pictures, and that’s such a great concept. But then they abandon that for some stupid jump scares.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Sinister was great up until the Baghoul part.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I didn’t like Sinister, the home movies were cool but the guy in a slipknot mask going “boogedy boo” just didn’t work for me. Found it kinda flat and boring.

I love Insidious however, I think its having fun and the spirit Halloween darth maul did work for me so really I’m just a man of complicated tastes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i liked Sinister well enough but think Derrickson got better with The Black Phone.

Ethan Hawke rules.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Black Phone was one of my best surprises of last year. Loved it.

Big fan of The Conjuring 2. The love story gets me. Yes, I know the real Warrens were charlatans, but god drat I love Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga so much. The ending really hits me in the heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sinister series also has James Ransone, who has such a bizarre 'nervous guy' onscreen energy and charisma but is always great to watch