Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How does the Deck handle updates which would normally come through the Discover app?

Most users do not use desktop mode and will thus never run Discover and fetch updates. Does the Deck automatically fetch these updates in the background? Are these updates rolled into Valve's official Steam Deck updates? Are there simply no Discover updates the user will ever need unless the user first goes to desktop mode and installs something (thus, the user must know how to get to desktop mode and run Discover before actually needing to do this)?

The important ones are rolled into the official updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It’s mostly the ‘only time you’d care about discover updates are if you’d already gone to desktop and installed stuff’ scenario.

You can also just add the discover store as a non-Steam title if you want to update that stuff without launching desktop every time. Think there’s a Decky plugin that’ll do it too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any good cyber Monday deals out there for sd cards to use for the deck today?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How does the Deck handle updates which would normally come through the Discover app?
The only thing Discover updates is flatpaks and there's no flatpak-based apps that show up in Steam unless you explicitly add them as a non-Steam game (or use Emudeck or something).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I took the drive out of my old deck and it’s half-disassembled, so of course as soon as I’d finished that I got an update from FedEx saying that the OLED would arrive tomorrow instead

can’t even drown my tears with Genshin Impact in the bath!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taking a break from spider man.

Outer Wilds or Dredge?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Outer Wilds or Dredge?

Both are good in different ways… I’m gonna vote Dredge if you like a good pick up and play fisherman RPG with a dark side genre

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Dredge is also quick completion, but you can then spend more time 100%ing if you dig the vibe and artstyle, if that sways you.

It's a fantastic deck game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Dredge is also quick completion, but you can then spend more time 100%ing if you dig the vibe and artstyle, if that sways you.

It's a fantastic deck game.

Dredge it is! I started the outer wilds but I’m not sure I am ready for it lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Dredge it is! I started the outer wilds but I’m not sure I am ready for it lol

Do not think the actual flight mechanics feel like the toy one that they have you test in the start. The flying takes some getting used to but is super low barrier to entry.

OW is one of the best games, ever.

DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING. You are only ruining it for yourself. I wish I could play again with fresh eyes. Magnificent experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Outer Wilds or Dredge?

I’m playing through Dredge right now and it’s pretty sweet. It’s nice and chill despite the subject matter and there’s a constant sense of progression and exploration.

It is kind of similar to Outer Wilds in a sense, now that I think about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My steam deck keeps refusing to go to sleep, it would wake up seconds later. After trying a few things I think I figured out the problem. The sd card has some kind of problem and it was detecting a hardware change and turning back on. I took out the sd card and then it behaved normally. Of course now I have a lot less storage

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Do not think the actual flight mechanics feel like the toy one that they have you test in the start. The flying takes some getting used to but is super low barrier to entry.

OW is one of the best games, ever.

DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING. You are only ruining it for yourself. I wish I could play again with fresh eyes. Magnificent experience.

Oh yeah the flight controls lol

I actually made it to the first planet then died so I put it down for tonight to play dredge which is a bit more what I’m down for tonight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah the flight controls lol

I actually made it to the first planet then died so I put it down for tonight to play dredge which is a bit more what I’m down for tonight.

Dredge owns too, I need to go back and put a dent in that game.

Next time you try OW give it a solid 30 minutes. I promise you it will only take 22 minutes to blow you away.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Outer Wilds is one of the best adventure games ever made. If you feel it’s call at all you should play it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Anyone have some recommended settings for Yuzu for Fire Emblem Engage in particular or for Switch emulation in general? All the options under graphics are too fiddly for me to really understand and all the posts about it on Reddit and whatnot are from like January and February. The game seems to stutter when transitioning from the battle map to the individual encounters which makes me wonder if it might be a CPU or memory issue more than a GPU issue? But I'm not really an expert on how these things work.

(I own a Switch and a copy of Fire Emblem Engage collector's edition--I would just love the convenience of not having to bring two handhelds with me when I travel next month).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What file types does Cemu want for Wii U? My library consists of a ton of smaller xxxx.part compressed folders and I’m wondering if I need to combine them somehow or just find something else in a different format.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rosalind posted:

Anyone have some recommended settings for Yuzu for Fire Emblem Engage in particular or for Switch emulation in general? All the options under graphics are too fiddly for me to really understand and all the posts about it on Reddit and whatnot are from like January and February. The game seems to stutter when transitioning from the battle map to the individual encounters which makes me wonder if it might be a CPU or memory issue more than a GPU issue? But I'm not really an expert on how these things work.

(I own a Switch and a copy of Fire Emblem Engage collector's edition--I would just love the convenience of not having to bring two handhelds with me when I travel next month).

You can probably check this in the performance overlay but yeah the Deck's CPU will almost always be a bottleneck for Switch emulation as it's a CPU-heavy task.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo dredge is real good.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
People seemed disappointed in Dredge because it didn't turn out to be something like a Lovecraftian fishing sim that you can just play forever but I loved it and think it's great if you engage it on its own terms, which is as a relatively short game that you can finish long before burning out on its simple rear end mechanics.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Outer Wilds is genuinely one of the greatest games ever made by any group ever.

I know not every game is for everyone, but this is a game I wish would avoid that and I wish it could be experienced in a way that elicits the same emotions and joy and sense of wonder that I experienced because not a day goes by since I finished it last year that I do not have a small memory of something to do with it.

It is a genuine masterpiece and if you do play it, and it properly captures you then do not let go. Ride the whole thing out :)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

What file types does Cemu want for Wii U? My library consists of a ton of smaller xxxx.part compressed folders and I’m wondering if I need to combine them somehow or just find something else in a different format.

Commander Keene posted:

If you're downloading them in .app format then you need to convert them to something Cemu can read, yeah. If you're on Windows and reasonably familiar with the command line you can use CDecrypt to do the job.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone tried Wake on Bluetooth on their OLED since it got patched in?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
RE: magnetic usb-c adapters

Definitely do not use them, for all the reasons listed in that reddit thread or from pretty much any reliable source, ESPECIALLY if you live in a dry climate prone to static buildup. If it's any consolation, the port IS replaceable if it gets hosed up, but it's a more delicate repair, so you'd probably be sending it to a shop. Still better than buying a whole new deck, though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Syenite posted:

RE: magnetic usb-c adapters

Definitely do not use them, for all the reasons listed in that reddit thread or from pretty much any reliable source, ESPECIALLY if you live in a dry climate prone to static buildup. If it's any consolation, the port IS replaceable if it gets hosed up, but it's a more delicate repair, so you'd probably be sending it to a shop. Still better than buying a whole new deck, though.

I just use these to take the strain off the port itself and some velcro cable straps to keep the cord at a reasonable length as needed so it’s not a tripping hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B76VM9FJ

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vegastar posted:

I just use these to take the strain off the port itself and some velcro cable straps to keep the cord at a reasonable length as needed so it’s not a tripping hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B76VM9FJ

Oh man, that's a great idea. I love right angles for audio cables, but it never occurred to me to look for that in USB.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Steam Deck: Nursing Pillow advice, tips on how to baby it and not strain its ports

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Has anyone tried Wake on Bluetooth on their OLED since it got patched in?

I think i tried this last night without even realizing it was a thing? I finally got around to setting up my dock and pairing a Xbox controller for TV use, and was pleasantly surprised to find that when I turn on the Xbox controller now, the Deck wakes up too. (It does not automatically turn on my TV like my AppleTV or Switch do, however, so I can't quite be up and running with just one button press. At least I don't have to get off the couch as long as I keep the TV remote nearby.)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Valve greenlit my RMA request for the busted LB on my LCD Deck even though I was out of warranty, on the same day the OLED arrives. :unsmith: If I can catch the UPS guy, I can just hand him the outbound package. One in one out.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I'd like to give using the Steam Deck on the TV a go, but I won't do it without a controller that has four rear paddles/buttons in a similar physical configuration as the Steam Deck itself or an Xbox Elite controller.

Having only two rear paddles/buttons, or having four but arranged in a different layout isn't good enough.

Which gamepad can I use instead? (the Elite v2 has compatibility issues that disqualify it)

edit:
also if anyone is playing on their TV using the deck and just a really long cord, that's not the worst thing in the world i guess

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 28, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you'll need a second steam deck

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you'll need a second steam deck

poo poo, I didn't even think of that - we've got a third one now because of the OLED model, can I literally just pair the old model as a bluetooth controller?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snackmar posted:

I'd like to give using the Steam Deck on the TV a go, but I won't do it without a controller that has four rear paddles/buttons in a similar physical configuration as the Steam Deck itself or an Xbox Elite controller.

Having only two rear paddles/buttons, or having four but arranged in a different layout isn't good enough.

Which gamepad can I use instead? (the Elite v2 has compatibility issues that disqualify it)

edit:
also if anyone is playing on their TV using the deck and just a really long cord, that's not the worst thing in the world i guess

I like using my dualsense edge with the Deck, but unfortunately that also only has two back buttons. I think the 8bitdo ultimate only has two back buttons too, you might just have to deal with not having four.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

minusX posted:

Quick question, was this directly to the deck or was it going to a dock first? That's the only thing I can think of outside of some random weird power draw happening in the surge protector it was plugged into???

Also a few people have said this in the thread recently to the point it's bugging me: The old Deck has an LCD screen not LED screen. Unless you somehow meant the white charging LED which changed over to a wRGB LED which I don't think you do!

it was directly from a wall socket to my original LED Deck. I didn't do any analysis, I just said "oh, okay" and got a higher wattage charger

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I like using my dualsense edge with the Deck, but unfortunately that also only has two back buttons. I think the 8bitdo ultimate only has two back buttons too, you might just have to deal with not having four.

The 8bitdo one can only map back paddles to mirror another standard button on the controller, you can’t assign them as a unique input, so don’t rely on that one for actual back button support.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I wish they went with Hall Effect sticks in the premium (or even regular) models if they're concerned about maintainability. What's an extra $10 on a $600 device?

VG posted:

Outer Wilds is genuinely one of the greatest games ever made by any group ever.
Thing is - these games are hard to come back to once you've put them down. You're assembling a plot out of circumstances and bits and pieces and a year later its all just a fuzzy memory.

Biggest memory of the two hours I spent with Outer Wilds is taking off in my suspiciously rickety spaceship, setting course for a planet and then colliding with a satellite, disabling my thrusters sending me cartwheeling into the sun. Better luck next time, chief.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 28, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

I wish they went with Hall Effect sticks in the premium (or even regular) models if they're concerned about maintainability. What's an extra $10 on a $600 device?

Well it’s an additional $10 loss on top of what they are already losing :shrug:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Vegastar posted:

The 8bitdo one can only map back paddles to mirror another standard button on the controller, you can’t assign them as a unique input, so don’t rely on that one for actual back button support.

Yeah it works perfectly fine if you just want to have a few profiles that move buttons to the paddles. But if you want to actually have access to those 4 buttons within Steam and do some of the more complex button mapping things the 8bitdo won't do that.

Anyone more knowledgable about how inputs actually work know if this is something 8bitdo could theoretically update in the future?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Snackmar posted:

edit:

I use the Scuf Envision Pro — the native software is some of the worst I’ve ever seen outside of Enterprise software. At least, programming the inputs directly on the controller is easy enough following the user guide.

It has four paddles and they’re similar to the deck in that they don’t “stick out” the way that say the paddles do on Dualsense Edge. I hated it at first but then weirdly got used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Snackmar posted:

edit:
Dual Sense Edge is great, you'll get used to the slightly different arrangement until Microsoft unfucks their Bluetooth stack :)