Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm rejecting semenotics

pepe no! retain! RETAIN!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I teach 8 year olds and the internet has completely ruined them.

So has capitalism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soft landing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I teach 8 year olds and the internet has completely ruined them.

So has capitalism.

it turns out the devices and apps that are literally designed to call for your attention moments after you put it down are not the same as books

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it turns out the devices and apps that are literally designed to call for your attention moments after you put it down are not the same as books

I had to learn about this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvDwXQdgeRM

Because the kids make it constantly.

How many 8 year olds got suspended for sexual assault when you were a kid? Because the number for my class this year isn't 0.

Also, all the 5th grade teachers walked out. Guess where all those 5th graders are now. They're evenly divided amongst ALL the other classes in the school. So even the kindergarten classes each have 2 or 3 fifth graders just sitting in the back doing nothing.

It's some real doomsday poo poo, I could go on all day.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Nov 28, 2023

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

oh I’m sure my parents are mystified at how my attention is split to some degree but having a complete visual non-sequitur be a requirement because young brains are too bored…

what the gently caress

I’ve been basically completely off social media for years and years and never engaged with TikTok at all :corsair: but watching that video made me feel like a time traveler being dropped into some bizarre unintelligible future.

I thought this would happen much later than 40 and welp

I think part of it is that let's plays and general video game streams got so popular lots of folks had them on in one screen as background noise. from there people probably had actual tv shows on that they could pay more or less attention to versus an LP and boom: you're now watching orange is the new black/shameless in 2 minute intervals with some copyright free music in the background and that platform-disappearing jumping game in the bottom of the screen.

basically this is all something awfuls fault if you squint enough

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

pretty sure those are all fake spam accounts trying to steal people's personal data

.. i say this alot in this thread because its true virtually nothing legitimate has ever come from FB Marketplace :colbert:
sounds like a skill issue, my wife is a pro Facebook marketplace shopper, we’ve snagged a lot of great second-hand poo poo there for cheap like a grill and an air conditioner

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/heimbergecon/status/1729415561321308369?t=yH4dztPxClxsn8IynqKGcw&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dead Internet rapidly approaching

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1729527347693375729

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

bawfuls posted:

sounds like a skill issue, my wife is a pro Facebook marketplace shopper, we’ve snagged a lot of great second-hand poo poo there for cheap like a grill and an air conditioner

can confirm this experience as well my wife scores insane deals off of marketplace, she got us a $500 bassinet the other day in new condition for $25

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is extremely good

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I was watching a streamer who has a greenscreen behind him and just throws up random images/backgrounds behind him while he plays the game and he says when he makes it footage of subway surfers viewer retention noticeably goes up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

MILLENNIALS!!!! :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Monkey Fracas posted:

The one thing I thought LLM-gen trash was good for was SEO ploys that fill the internet up with pure poo poo and render it unusable and hey looks like that's right on schedule

Dunno bout all the other stuff but it appears to have some utility for summarizing 200 boring similar documents or something

I mean if only but it just has to gently caress up once and you'd be screwed so you'd have to double check everything every time which is the same as just doing it yourself from the get go

I have to review stupid long paperwork at work all the time and I had some people from another department ask "don't you have a program to check this stuff or something?" Like no we don't, it wouldn't work

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Nov 28, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

MILLENNIALS!!!! :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Asking Zuckerberg that question really skewed the graph.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Palladium posted:

a $100 item was marked up to be $170 for a very brief moment and went on sale for $100

I did some early holiday shopping but looked up certain gifts on camelcamelcamel and this is true

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Nanomashoes posted:

I was watching a streamer who has a greenscreen behind him and just throws up random images/backgrounds behind him while he plays the game and he says when he makes it footage of subway surfers viewer retention noticeably goes up.

it's cool how the entire internet video economy is just financially exploiting 6 year old children as viciously as possible and everyone is just fine with it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Asking Zuckerberg that question really skewed the graph.

Billions Georg is an outlier and should not be counted.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Palladium posted:

a $100 item was marked up to be $170 for a very brief moment and went on sale for $100

lol this is blatantly illegal and Amazon is so big they don't care anymore.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

mark up to mark down has been part of Black Friday for most of a decade at physical retailers, why would Amazon be resistant

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol this is blatantly illegal and Amazon is so big they don't care anymore.

it's only illegal if the action is prosecuted

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
better call the cops

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's cool how the entire internet video economy is just financially exploiting 6 year old children as viciously as possible and everyone is just fine with it.

A lot of parents never want to deal with a bored kid.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
when I have a kid they're only gonna be allowed to watch reruns of stuff on Pluto TV so they can grow up the way I did

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

‘happiness’ as a metric is complete bullshit. how about we use something we can quantitatively measure like free time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

there is plenty of free time on your break. now get back to work!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean if only but it just has to gently caress up once and you'd be screwed so you'd have to double check everything every time which is the same as just doing it yourself from the get go

I have to review stupid long paperwork at work all the time and I had some people from another department ask "don't you have a program to check this stuff or something?" Like no we don't, it wouldn't work

I could just be confused because everything is being stamped with the "AI" label even if it has nothing to do with neural networks because yeah it seems like an LLM wouldn't be very good at summarizing documents if, uh, accuracy was an issue

If accuracy matters then it seems like you have to be able to double-check whatever it barfs out really quickly for it to be worth any labor savings

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Don't these millennials know everything is fuckin awesome right now

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1729518490527080573

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

:hmmyes:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

cooking is fun idk ymmv but i enjoy being like yo dads gotta make dinner and then loving around on my phone for 45 mins in the kitchen by myself while stirring a pot.
maybe open concept design makes this not possible by putting the family right there to see that dads not doing anything except vaping and scratching his rear end waiting for water to boil.

Please stop recording me while I cook.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

cooking is fun idk ymmv but i enjoy being like yo dads gotta make dinner and then loving around on my phone for 45 mins in the kitchen by myself while stirring a pot.
maybe open concept design makes this not possible by putting the family right there to see that dads not doing anything except vaping and scratching his rear end waiting for water to boil.

OK, but if you don't have a gas stove so you can make microsecond adjustments to your heat, and you are incapable of moving the pan/pot off of the burner, then your cooking is poo poo!!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

when I have a kid they're only gonna be allowed to watch reruns of stuff on Pluto TV so they can grow up the way I did

Hope you love that Peleton commercial because they're playing the ever living gently caress out of it

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Monkey Fracas posted:

I could just be confused because everything is being stamped with the "AI" label even if it has nothing to do with neural networks because yeah it seems like an LLM wouldn't be very good at summarizing documents if, uh, accuracy was an issue

If accuracy matters then it seems like you have to be able to double-check whatever it barfs out really quickly for it to be worth any labor savings

Yeah like other people have said AI is probably best if you're dealing with pointless busy work (stuff no one will ever actually look at or read) or situations where minor/moderate issues with accuracy won't cause major problems (like audio transcription)

Feeding documents into an AI after a person takes a look at them might be a good way to catch errors that the person missed, I guess

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LonsomeSon posted:

mark up to mark down has been part of Black Friday for most of a decade at physical retailers, why would Amazon be resistant

yea I dunno what people expect, it’s always been mark up then down for BIG 70%! off labels

Americans don’t really care either, they just want to think they got a good once in a lifetime sale over the man. it’s the aesthetics of sales than material conditions of sales

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Hope you love that Peleton commercial because they're playing the ever living gently caress out of it

the one where the husband buys his wife one and whenever she looks at the camera her eyes look like a hostage pleading for rescue?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The way I can tell when a particular packaged food has a massive price spike is when it's "on sale" for a price higher than I bought it for last week, and will go up even more once the "sale" is over.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody has commented if wet egg prices went up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mycomancy posted:

small price to pay to watch price is right reruns