Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah but if I get thrown for a wazari, and my opponent is coming down to pin me, I can dummy sweep them because they're trying to pass my guard and pin me. It won't earn me any points to dummy sweep them onto their back, because I was on the ground, but it's not illegal for me to do.

I think?

correct. Once you're on the ground you as tori cann't throw for a score, because you're in ne waza at that point, and to throw for a score tori needs to be in tachi waza. Once they start trying to pass your guard, you can grab their leg, but if they throw you and take a step back, they haven't entered ne waza and so you can't grab their leg.

I guess the implication is that the only way to force someone into ne waza is to throw them in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Puzzle mats are fine for a home rolling space. You can order a few extras, cut them into shapes, and lay them against the wall to get total coverage. Aesthetically, having an area completely covered with square edges looks cool and it overcomes the natural cheap-looking shape of the puzzle piece. I bought some about five years ago, got a surprisingly large area for about $400-500 AUD. I’ve moved it between rooms a few times, the cats have scratched the poo poo out of the edges, still functions and still looks pretty good.

You will need to order them from a foam-producing place, because the ones you find in stores are too thin. 20mm is acceptable for groundwork only and no takedowns, 30mm is fine for takedowns, 40mm is nice but i’m not sure there’s a noticable
improvement. I think beyond 30mm you’d want to start thinking about building something *under* the mat to absorb impact.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Taught my first class since moving to the East Coast. Taught a nice little drop knee that can lead to an inside leg trip.

After class, some of the students asked if I would run a fundamentals class. I'm like almost 3 months into this gym and Im not sure how to approach this topic with the instructor (who is super super nice btw). I kind of realize that maybe its time for me to start teaching. I really got some satisfaction watching the guys use some of the stuff I taught during sparring. They actually liked it! It made me feel good knowing that maybe I can be useful outside of showing people things here and there.

Im not sure how to approach compensation for my time or even if I should be compensated at all! Reaching out for advice.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
I've been playing with octopus guard from bottom half and having trouble with people who counter it by immediately hip switching (reverse half guard/chair sit/discus pass basically) and landing their hip on me to drop my hip flat. Any advice? I watched Telles's original octupus dvd and it was not addressed. I think if I can see the counter coming and immediatley go for a hip bump myself, then that's an option.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Taught my first class since moving to the East Coast. Taught a nice little drop knee that can lead to an inside leg trip.

After class, some of the students asked if I would run a fundamentals class. I'm like almost 3 months into this gym and Im not sure how to approach this topic with the instructor (who is super super nice btw). I kind of realize that maybe its time for me to start teaching. I really got some satisfaction watching the guys use some of the stuff I taught during sparring. They actually liked it! It made me feel good knowing that maybe I can be useful outside of showing people things here and there.

Im not sure how to approach compensation for my time or even if I should be compensated at all! Reaching out for advice.

If you teach you should be paid for the hours you're running class.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

If you are in charge of a class you should be receiving some form of monetary compensation.

At least that's how it works at the place I train.

Are there other people teaching there already besides the head instructor?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I got into teaching by telling an instructor that I took classes from that I was interested. I was a consistent student and he was a very nice guy, so he let me teach the odd class here and there, and then more after I'd done it for a few months. Then he left the gym unexpectedly, and the gym owners asked me to take on a lot of his classes. Which was a massive increase in responsibility but has been very rewarding.

A few things that might be of use:

1) Just ask. The people in charge may or may not want to have you teach, but if you don't ask you won't get anywhere.

2) Tell other instructors you can help out. Maybe this is helping handle a large class, or filling in if another instructor can't make it. This happens at my gym all the time; vacations, sick days or just traffic problems, there's all kinds of reasons people need a substitute teacher, sometimes last minute. It is hugely appreciated to have this need filled. Especially kids classes!

3) If you can commit to it then offer to teach a new time slot, one not currently on the gym's schedule. New time slots means more potential bodies in the door and is valuable to the owners. If you can offer something the gym currently doesn't, that's a big plus.

Compensation can be tricky and will depend on the owners. It isn't just them having to pay you, but also paperwork, potentially including things like insurance, taxes, background checks etc. Instructors probably will need to handle money, deal with new clients, be trusted with a key to the facility etc. Different people will approach these things differently, be aware that owners may not want too many different people having these responsibilities. Most gyms are small, not very profitable businesses-- keep that in mind.

You shouldn't work for free of course. At my gym people that teach occasionally get a discounted or free membership. Those with more classes get paid a standard wage.

To bring this back around to my intro anecdote: if you put yourself in a position as someone who is capable and responsible it isn't a big stretch to get to instructing, perhaps more than you intend. But give it time, and don't force it. Probably the main thing an owner will be looking for is long-term reliability. So keep showing up to class and doing your thing and hopefully you'll get your shot.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 20, 2023

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

themongol posted:

I've been playing with octopus guard from bottom half and having trouble with people who counter it by immediately hip switching (reverse half guard/chair sit/discus pass basically) and landing their hip on me to drop my hip flat. Any advice? I watched Telles's original octupus dvd and it was not addressed. I think if I can see the counter coming and immediatley go for a hip bump myself, then that's an option.

I’m working on octopus as well right now and am working through similar issues. Some options to try and play with that I’m starting to get results with.
- insert a butterfly hook, when the hip switch happens elevate the leg and try to come up on a sweep.
- when they hip switch you are now half way to the back, use the butterfly hook and force their hips across your centre line and complete the back take
- if you miss the butterfly hook you can still insert a twister hook on their bottom leg, tweak the knee, shrimp, back take or try to come up on a sweep.

But like I said I’m still learning this and have a ways to go before I’ll be able to reliably hit it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Free or reduced tuition is what you should be shooting for. Once you accept a check you go from being some schmuck getting a discount to a 1099 contractor or W2 Part Time employee, which comes with significant headaches that if you already have a decent day job is just not worth it, considering at most you're only gonna be teaching what? 10 hours a month if that for a single class?

edit: The exception to this is teaching kids classes. Kids classes are a gigantic pain in the rear end, and you'll want any theoretical insurance/legal coverage that being an employee gives you anytime you're dealing with minors. Not saying you're a creep or a weirdo or whatever, but kids get hurt especially when they're playing sports and parents can be uptight and litigious when it comes to their kids.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 20, 2023

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

stramit posted:

I’m working on octopus as well right now and am working through similar issues. Some options to try and play with that I’m starting to get results with.
- insert a butterfly hook, when the hip switch happens elevate the leg and try to come up on a sweep.
- when they hip switch you are now half way to the back, use the butterfly hook and force their hips across your centre line and complete the back take
- if you miss the butterfly hook you can still insert a twister hook on their bottom leg, tweak the knee, shrimp, back take or try to come up on a sweep.

But like I said I’m still learning this and have a ways to go before I’ll be able to reliably hit it.

Thanks for this. I do try to insert the hook immediately, but people seem wise to it and just hip switch while I do it. And with gi they'd just grab my pant of the top leg and pass to side control. I think it's easier with no-gi because I can slip under them easier and shrimp out and try for the back take or just stand up, but with gi it's just not working out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did some rolling yesterday for the first time in a long while, felt good, no pain, but still have minor instability in the knee in certain positions. Probably head back to judo next week.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just remember "no pain" doesn't mean fully healed - so you shouldn't overdo it

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

If you are in charge of a class you should be receiving some form of monetary compensation.

At least that's how it works at the place I train.

Are there other people teaching there already besides the head instructor?

Yes there! Actually a few. I would just want to do a fundamentals class. I think some of the guys need it and I like to think my fundamentals (while always needing work), are actually pretty solid.

Thank you for these. For point number 3, yes it would be a new time slot.

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: The exception to this is teaching kids classes. Kids classes are a gigantic pain in the rear end, and you'll want any theoretical insurance/legal coverage that being an employee gives you anytime you're dealing with minors. Not saying you're a creep or a weirdo or whatever, but kids get hurt especially when they're playing sports and parents can be uptight and litigious when it comes to their kids.

Yeah I would not do a kids class. Hell no.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 21, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I help teach some and in return my GF gets to train for free, which really lessens the sting of her not attending all that regularly. If they open a second gym they're probably going to ask me to teach more, at which point I'll ask for my membership to be free (or reduced, that's a great idea).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have been the relief teacher for the morning classes (I probably teach one lesson out of every four or five, and when the head coach is sick or on holiday I might do a couple of weeks in a row) and I haven’t paid any club fees in years.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, a foreign film is calling this a Heel Hook, which obviously has a different connotation to me. What's the English language wrestling term for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqHn33rQqc

Inside trip? I don't even know what it'd be in Judo, I don't believe it's either ko ouchi or ouchi, it's the "wrong" foot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, a foreign film is calling this a Heel Hook, which obviously has a different connotation to me. What's the English language wrestling term for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqHn33rQqc

Inside trip? I don't even know what it'd be in Judo, I don't believe it's either ko ouchi or ouchi, it's the "wrong" foot.

it's a ko uchi. Wrestlers would call it an inside trip.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

it's a ko uchi. Wrestlers would call it an inside trip.
That's not the wrong foot for ko uchi? Hmn, ok, thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's not the wrong foot for ko uchi? Hmn, ok, thanks.

Ko uchi goes diagonally (so, right attacking right) and o uchi goes orthogonally (right attacking left). Or another way to think about it is that in the leg reaps "o" uses the big leg muscle groups and a full hip and "ko" is small muscle groups across the body.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Ko uchi goes diagonally (so, right attacking right) and o uchi goes orthogonally (right attacking left). Or another way to think about it is that in the leg reaps "o" uses the big leg muscle groups and a full hip and "ko" is small muscle groups across the body.

Right, but when I think of Ko Uchi I think of reaching my leg across to trap the far leg, from the inside, like this:

Not hooking from the outside in on the same side, like this:

To me it looks like a fundamentally different move? Like your own body is moving a bit like O Uchi, but you're attacking from a different angle on the opposite leg as usual for O Uchi?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Both pictures are inside trips on the lead/right leg, if you want to split hairs I'd call the first one an inside foot sweep

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 22, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looking at it again, I guess the only difference between the first and second photo are where tori and uke are in relation to each other, in the second photo tori is standing on either side of the leg they're attacking. It does lead to some differences in how you'd actually do it, but I guess those wouldn't stop it from still being ko uchi.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

in the second photo tori is standing on either side of the leg they're attacking. It does lead to some differences in how you'd actually do it, but I guess those wouldn't stop it from still being ko uchi.

One thing I've found striking about judo is that even with how strongly delineated the throws are, there's still very meaningful mechanical variation that isn't addressed, like here between sweep to the outside vs hook back.

CommonShore posted:

Wrestlers would call it an inside trip.

Is there a naming difference between which leg? I feel like I've seen that applied to either leg on the inside.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

One thing I've found striking about judo is that even with how strongly delineated the throws are, there's still very meaningful mechanical variation that isn't addressed, like here between sweep to the outside vs hook back.

Is there a naming difference between which leg? I feel like I've seen that applied to either leg on the inside.

If we wanted to really split the hairs the blue kodokan video is "ko uchi gari" and the ... wrestling/sambo video is "ko uchi gake" - "gari" is a reap, like a sweep, implying follow through, and "gake" is a hook, and the hook tends to look more like a tackle.

I've never seen anyone differentiate the wrestling terminology for the two different inside trips.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

bonus: You try a body lock take down at 3:36, it fails because if you look at your feet, your feet are parallel and he is in a split stance under you, this makes it hard for you to just yeet someone, and as you said this causes you to straighten your back and get hit with an ouchi-gari. For this to have a better chance of success, look up my favorite sumo throw Yaguranage, seen below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn7AU-NS1o

Recent post shows a big Mongol doing a variety of throws. That 4th video is Watchtower, right?
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0B9fIaJSQC/?img_index=4

e: that first throw is so nasty. Separate the left grip and simultaneously make credible threats to the right arm and right leg, causing the opponent to stumble into a retreat, offbalancing himself, and then rip that remaining grip across and down into the ground.

His sensitivity and adjustment on defense is really nice.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 28, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The one with the fashionable bright blue pants? Yes thats a picture perfect watchtower throw.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My daughter is doing wrestling now, and Ill be honest, I dont know much about the ruleset (need to get educated on this). How much Judo throws/Jiu Jitsu sweeps are allowed in wrestling?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My daughter is doing wrestling now, and Ill be honest, I dont know much about the ruleset (need to get educated on this). How much Judo throws/Jiu Jitsu sweeps are allowed in wrestling?

they're all allowed they just aren't very useful

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Mongolian wrestling looks fun, but what about Turkish oil wrestling?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vashro posted:

This and the indian wrestling on clay/mud/spices are ones I'd refuse to do because I think I would feel very gross after it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

wrestling on spices

Just climb into this tub of boiling hot water and chill out for 3-4 hours.

Vashro posted:

I looked into central Asian wrestling a bit to survey what kinds of jacket / belt formats are out there, and Turkey has a variety of recognized wrestling formats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_in_Turkey
but the other main national style is "like oil wrestling, but none of that oil, no sir"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

If you're in the USA, the your kid is probably doing wrestling under the folkstyle rule set, which is slightly different from the freestyle rule set you see in the Olympics. Not too sure what the differences are tbh.

Judo throws are as common as they are in other no gi grappling arts, which is to say it heavily depends on the person doing the throw (and why you'd want to do that when the rules make it much more conducive to hit something like a blast double instead). BJJ sweeps should get reversal points, but BJJ stuff will probably concede back exposure, which is always a bad idea in wrestling.

Long story short, it's probably not that applicable to take stuff from judo/bjj and import it wholesale into wrestling. There will always be techniques that are cross applicable, but the rule sets are very different.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

they're all allowed they just aren't very useful

Legit Businessman posted:

If you're in the USA, the your kid is probably doing wrestling under the folkstyle rule set, which is slightly different from the freestyle rule set you see in the Olympics. Not too sure what the differences are tbh.

Judo throws are as common as they are in other no gi grappling arts, which is to say it heavily depends on the person doing the throw (and why you'd want to do that when the rules make it much more conducive to hit something like a blast double instead). BJJ sweeps should get reversal points, but BJJ stuff will probably concede back exposure, which is always a bad idea in wrestling.

Long story short, it's probably not that applicable to take stuff from judo/bjj and import it wholesale into wrestling. There will always be techniques that are cross applicable, but the rule sets are very different.

Thanks guys. I've never even really watched too many wrestling matches other than olympic matches, so this is a bit new for me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thanks guys. I've never even really watched too many wrestling matches other than olympic matches, so this is a bit new for me.

You are probably 3-4 standard deviations better than the average parent there, having a long history with combat sports. Even if it is brand new to you, you'll pick it up very fast.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shintaro Higashi is an expert Judo coach in NYC and also wrestled competitively in college and, while he does have some videos on using Judo style throws in wrestling, he also makes it very clear that this is using some Judo techniques in a wrestling context, not turning wrestling into Judo or avoiding wrestling fundamentals.

The Judo coach I visit on the weekends is very old school, a life long martial artist that competed back when Judo was much more permissive, and he's taken to teaching no gi classes on Saturdays and using that as a spring board to introduce non tournament legal techniques like leg grabs. Both he and Shintaro stress that a huge difference is that, without a jacket, you both need to be much closer to your opponent and there's no such thing as a lapel grip.

Anywhere, here's two of Shintaro's videos, I just like sharing `em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaSsczLI2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsUYMsqrK8

That second video has become basically my whole no gi takedown game; just working to threaten a back take and then "settling" for a kind of over under lock that can do a ton of Judo throws. It doesn't always work but it's simple, straight forward, and doesn't require me to shoot.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 29, 2023

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Some stuff translates 1-to-1 like ippon seoi nage or hip tosses and some things can be modified to work as in the above video, but a lot of the iconic judo throws rely on the fact that you can really yank someone around with gi grips in a way that just isn't possible in no-gi, and foot sweeps are much tougher with the more bent-forward posture that you see in wrestling. Still, grappling is grappling.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even where the techniques don't transfer 1 to 1, ideas like pressure, base, your sensitivity to another person's movement, etc., should all on some level carry over from one sport to the other. At least, I think so. That's why when a wrestler comes into their first BJJ class, they're not exactly a white belt. Sometimes you can catch them with something they'd never had reason to think about but all the grappling traits are there.

I guess you have BJJ experience and your child is doing wrestling so even just understanding concepts like that will help you talk to them about it. Does the child have BJJ experience as well leading into wrestling?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 29, 2023

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Legit Businessman posted:

You are probably 3-4 standard deviations better than the average parent there, having a long history with combat sports. Even if it is brand new to you, you'll pick it up very fast.

My daughter lost all 3 of her matches because her willingness to go to her back too easily, however her ability to break posture from a standing position was on point. It will be a learning curve for both of us. :frogdunce:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Started listening to Craig Jones El Segundo podcasts' starting with his interview with Keenan (which I highly recommend). I've changed my opinion of Craig, he may have a hidden talent as a podcaster. He'd fit in as a goon quite easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Started listening to Craig Jones El Segundo podcasts' starting with his interview with Keenan (which I highly recommend). I've changed my opinion of Craig, he may have a hidden talent as a podcaster. He'd fit in as a goon quite easily.

Craig is good. Not a big Keenan guy though personally.

How is everyone's training going lately?