Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Alchenar posted:

It's just crucial to the narrative that Ukraine is not a sovereign country that can make its own choices. 'Russia and Ukraine would be great friends if not for the perfidious west getting between us, pay no attention to the Bucha behind the curtain'.

crazy to me that someone can be pro-palestine and yet deny Bucha

if communism seriously doesn't crave expansion, then Putin should be fine backing the gently caress off and going home. This isn't a case of extreme leftism fighting to survive against Western capitalist hegemony, as much as the tankies try to argue it. It's a case of capitalist authoritarian oligarchs fighting to preserve the status quo of their country (Russia) so that they don't have to make any changes, just like in America. And just like how we lambast America for this, so we should be critical of Russia in the same manner.

Russia and the US, we're both just big bloated bureaucratic failures of countries run by the rich, who wish to keep milking the situation to their benefit as long as possible.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

if communism seriously doesn't crave expansion, then Putin should be fine backing the gently caress off and going home. This isn't a case of extreme leftism fighting to survive against Western capitalist hegemony, as much as the tankies try to argue it. It's a case of capitalist authoritarian oligarchs fighting to preserve the status quo of their country (Russia) so that they don't have to make any changes, just like in America. And just like how we lambast America for this, so we should be critical of Russia in the same manner.

Yeah, the fact that there were some supposed leftists being IN FAVOUR of Russia seizing territory really undermined any type of leeway I was willing to give them. I mean, for Christ's sake, do they not remember Lenin's work in WW1?!

(If they had been of the opinion that it didn't matter, as it was a case of two capitalist powers fighting amongst themselves, I could understand, though I probably would not have agreed. But being flat out in favour of an oligarchic power was just... Disgusting.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

rowkey bilbao posted:

It's all just vapeforwar anyway

the children have to learn about vapewar someday

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
New russian drones exploding into a mist of sweet sweet cotton candy

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Tigey posted:

Russia's looming demographic crisis was likely one of the reasons Putin decided to invade.

This a poor excuse that externalises what is really a problem with how Russia manages itself.
How can we poor Russia deal with such an unfair world? Is it our weak westoid neigbours stealing our people?
Maybe we can make life better for people and attract them to live there?
Nah, lets invade someone. It really is the most lazy bullshit excuse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russia is correcting their calls, they want Vaporwave

a return to Soviet shopping malls with classical statue heads and columns, Windows 95, Japanese coke ads, and yes: chess grids

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Russia invading Ukraine and then comparing it to the poo poo that Palestine has had to deal with as a reason to justify the invasion always blows my mind each time I see it.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

numptyboy posted:

This a poor excuse that externalises what is really a problem with how Russia manages itself.
How can we poor Russia deal with such an unfair world? Is it our weak westoid neigbours stealing our people?
Maybe we can make life better for people and attract them to live there?
Nah, lets invade someone. It really is the most lazy bullshit excuse.

I mean, yeah? There are plenty of ways for sane countries and leaders to manage, mitigate or accept demographic problems that don't involve war and genocide. But none of them are that feasible under the political Overton window of Russia's current racist and kleptocratic elite.

Promoting immigration is one option. But they already do they to some extent - see Central Asian workers - and going as further would mean having to be less racist and allow people to integrate more fully - which they aren't willing to do.

Another option is actually investing some of that oil money in healthcare, education and making people's lives worth living so they don't drink themselves to an early grave. But this takes money and effort, which could instead be spent on the military (which lets the leaders feel strong and have fun playing at being an empire) and stolen to fund golden toilets. It also might lead to people who are healthy and happy - who might no longer be content with being so politically disengaged and start demanding reform.

Its political leadership isn't always the root underlying cause of Russia's problems, but its usually the main factor blocking any kind of real solution.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Budanov's wife has been poisoned with some unspecified heavy metal, as reported by the BBC. It also says she's feeling better after completing an initial course of treatment.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 28, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

beer_war posted:

Budanov's wife has been poisoned, as reported by the BBC. It also says she's feeling better after completing an initial course of treatment.

So long as it isn't Polonium, that poo poo is nasty.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Something surreal about being mad at Russia because when they lob missiles at Kyiv all the shops close for several hours which severely impacts my schedule for buying groceries and gifts. Yes my friends village was destroyed by these barbarians but can you BELIEVE my struggle here?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samovar posted:

Yeah, the fact that there were some supposed leftists being IN FAVOUR of Russia seizing territory really undermined any type of leeway I was willing to give them. I mean, for Christ's sake, do they not remember Lenin's work in WW1?!

(If they had been of the opinion that it didn't matter, as it was a case of two capitalist powers fighting amongst themselves, I could understand, though I probably would not have agreed. But being flat out in favour of an oligarchic power was just... Disgusting.)
They know the USSR fell in 1991 right? I imagine the legacy of Soviet education probably means they know Communist words, but — it ain’t just saying the words!

Right??

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Mr. Merdle posted:

Something surreal about being mad at Russia because when they lob missiles at Kyiv all the shops close for several hours which severely impacts my schedule for buying groceries and gifts. Yes my friends village was destroyed by these barbarians but can you BELIEVE my struggle here?

There are many reasons to be mad at Russia.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nessus posted:

They know the USSR fell in 1991 right? I imagine the legacy of Soviet education probably means they know Communist words, but — it ain’t just saying the words!

Right??

the USSR was just saying the words there for actual decades before 1991 and they won't admit that either so why let another little name change stop them

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol at begging for vape parts. Junk you’d not bother to scavenge in a fallout game.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Okay sure but also

Learning that any and every government on the planet is just saying the words is an important part of growing up

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Agreed fully - to be clear i wasnt insinuating it was your opinion. Just that ive seen ideas of that kind of fatalism being used as a justification in some circles.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vaginaface posted:

Okay sure but also

Learning that any and every government on the planet is just saying the words is an important part of growing up

Yes additional but further, Russia is also saying the Gamer Words and out loud

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vaginaface posted:

Okay sure but also

And after you take that to its extreme of teenage nihilism, learning that sometimes they're not just saying the words also matters. (Putin and friends talking about Ukraine before the invasion comes to mind, to pick a non-US example.)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russian Major General Vladimir Vasilyevich Zavadsky was blown up by a mine on November 28, 2023 at 2:30 p.m

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 29, 2023

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HonorableTB posted:

Russian Major General Vladimir Vasilyevich Zavadsky was blown up by a mine on November 28, 2023 at 2:30 p.m

What a weird trick.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
those dudes behind him seem to know already

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

They’re out of fish blocks, what’s left?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Blocks, no fish.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
How does a general get killed by a mine? You're supposed to keep a disposable unit in front of them at all times.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

War Wizard posted:

How does a general get killed by a mine? You're supposed to keep a disposable unit in front of them at all times.

Well, as we've seen in videos, once the vehicle in front gets blown up on a mine, you: 1. Stop, 2. Go Around, 3. Continue forward, 4. Get blown up by another mine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

War Wizard posted:

Remote activation. It just failed to go off the first time it got run over. The first vehicles just happened to not run over it. Someone planted it outside his office, as a joke. etc etc

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Wine. Not mine. It was wine.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I guess generals are pretty disposable when they exist to just be the authority relaying Putin's suicide orders. This is just darwinism in action for finding better decision makers.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
you see alexey, in a scant thousand generations evolutionary pressures will result in a general who is impervious to mines

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tiaz posted:

you see alexey, in a scant thousand generations evolutionary pressures will result in a general who is impervious to mines
So Space Marines will have Space General Majors in WH20K (one thousand generations from now, give or take)

also, according to a quick Wikipedia check, in Russia a Major General is a 1 star General, equivalent to a Brigadier General in the US. Still, that's a high rank.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 29, 2023

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

he partook of the forbidden tuna

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just Another Lurker posted:

So long as it isn't Polonium, that poo poo is nasty.

“just” mercury and arsenic, I’ve read

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He is the very model of a modern major general

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toxic Mental posted:

He is the very model of a modern major general

If there were others in the vehicle it would be a kitbash.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

he's a major general show some respect

a man of stripes receives a six pack of Fancy, Street, and Cool cola

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Mmm. Street Soda! That's an appealing name!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
drat, not even stocking Orangina anymore??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Samovar posted:

Mmm. Street Soda! That's an appealing name!

How could you go past fancy cok?