Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

munce
Oct 23, 2010

event horizon just had an episode with some physicist/nuclear/space/mars colony enthusiast. some of the things mentioned:
- resources are actually unlimited because they are created by humans. any idea of limits is malthusian rubbish
- all environmental movements are just cover for totalitarianism
- living on mars will be easy because they will just use new technology to produce as much food as a 1000 acre farm inside a building the size of a house

overall pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33aPPLPX2RY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

that wheelies on the moon thing made my afternoon

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

munce posted:

- living on mars will be easy because they will just use new technology to produce as much food as a 1000 acre farm inside a building the size of a house

Is this the right thread to discuss how "vertical gardening' and hydroponics are just ways to get investors to pay for setups to grow expensive lettuce, and are as much a scam as any other tech that is supposed to save us all?

Any time I see them touted as a solution for space travel or climate apocalypse, all I can think is that I hope people enjoy eating 30 pounds of lettuce every day.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Arven posted:

Is this the right thread to discuss how "vertical gardening' and hydroponics are just ways to get investors to pay for setups to grow expensive lettuce, and are as much a scam as any other tech that is supposed to save us all?

Any time I see them touted as a solution for space travel or climate apocalypse, all I can think is that I hope people enjoy eating 30 pounds of lettuce every day.

It’s a scam in the same way that organic foods are. There are a lot of good concepts that we could better utilize to improve the way we grow food, but there’s no real added value to the consumer above any other vegetable.

E: I guess having a habitual planet counts as value to some.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we ALREADY produce food with a magical technology

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we ALREADY produce food with a magical technology

all hail commodity futures

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Source4Leko has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Nov 29, 2023

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Trabisnikof posted:

sure maybe we can find the energy budget for a space program in a decarbonized economy, but demanding we spend significant resources on space now while any delay in decarbonization causes massive harms requires ignoring that reality

one of the material goals of the white billionaire TESCREAL ethos is to move industry to space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjCrbdRn4s

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Unless posted:

one of the material goals of the white billionaire TESCREAL ethos is to move industry to space

Praise climate change that this will never happen.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Arven posted:

the wonderful thing about the all encompassing nature of biosphere collapse is that every technology that has marketers blathering about how it'll be revolutionary and save us all is on topic

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Unless posted:

this is just PR to justify billionaire dickwaving contests like private space companies

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is just PR to justify billionaire dickwaving contests like private space companies

bezos is a big "long now" guy, so he certainly really believes that our civilization will last for 10,000+ years.

like one of their big things is to prefix years with 00 as some sort of like mind opener about how long we can make civilization last. like the current year is 002023

bezos also built a giant clock inside a mountain that's supposed to work for thousands of years without human maintenance. he's really drunk the Flavor-aid

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Trabisnikof posted:

bezos is a big "long now" guy, so he certainly really believes that our civilization will last for 10,000+ years.

like one of their big things is to prefix years with 00 as some sort of like mind opener about how long we can make civilization last. like the current year is 002023

bezos also built a giant clock inside a mountain that's supposed to work for thousands of years without human maintenance. he's really drunk the Flavor-aid

I guarantee that whoever built that giant clock isn't thinking about a Star Trek utopian future, he's thinking about post-apocalyptic 'primitives' finding it and being wowed like it's a magic precursor dungeon in an RPG.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bezos was born rich and sold books but on the internet. because of this he flies around on a private jet and has a for funsies space company in a time of human-caused environmental collapse. he doesn't know poo poo about gently caress

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

bezos was born rich and sold books but on the internet. because of this he flies around on a private jet and has a for funsies space company in a time of human-caused environmental collapse. he doesn't know poo poo about gently caress

what about his gallivanting around Hollywood and (alleged) copious consumption of bodybuilding drugs

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Shyrka posted:

I guarantee that whoever built that giant clock isn't thinking about a Star Trek utopian future, he's thinking about post-apocalyptic 'primitives' finding it and being wowed like it's a magic precursor dungeon in an RPG.

I guarantee you that whoever built that clock was smart enough to build it to last their own estimated lifetime + maybe 5-10 years and laughed all the way to the bank about it.

The person who commissioned it might be doing what you said, but he's a worthless talentless hack and couldn't build a clock if you gave him a stick and directions.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm reading prophet song about a fascist government coming to power in Ireland. It really captures being a parent and loving stupid liberal thinking. I'm half way through and it's reality repeatedly bashing against a rules believer.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sovereingty-act-clean-electricity-regulations-1.7041533

Some Daft Canuck posted:

Alberta invokes Sovereignty Act over federal clean electricity regulations
Premier Danielle Smith believes net-zero electricity grid by 2035 is risky and costly

[Biosphere Collapse] Risky and Costly

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

bezos is fuelled by bull shark testosterone

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
When people say Net Zero all I can think of is that lovely internet they used to have

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

whenever i hear net-zero i think of the yellow 'beccs' part of these ipcc graphs

5 - 10 gigatons per year

that would require an exponentially larger farming-for-energy industry than the current one we have for corn ethanol

and its already assumed in the models. its not a "we could try this" suggestion, its "in order to stay under 2C we assume this will happen."

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Aren’t we already at 2C? Or is it only temporary :ohdear:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

It's temporary until it gets to 2.5

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Temporarily embarrassed biosphere

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ihmemies posted:

Probably something like 2C averaged over a year, not just a short excursion over the threshold.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
had thought we were actually running 1.3-1.6 with occasional spikes higher. guess it depends what time/measurements are being used though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

earth is venus 2

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

earth is venus 2

by god we'll beat venus one day

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ihmemies posted:

Yes, we're already dead, you just keep hallucinating that you and everyone else still goes to work.

You monster.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

We have had a few days above 2C but, even after all our efforts, we're still not there.

soon

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Car Hater posted:

Yes, we're already dead, you just keep hallucinating that you and everyone else still goes to work.

You monster.

what you’re saying is that it isn’t that bad yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

When people say Net Zero all I can think of is that lovely internet they used to have

net zero was awesome because you could edit/delete a file to get rid of the banner ad and be left with Free Internet

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mags posted:

what you’re saying is that it isn’t that bad yet

I'm at work so it's pretty poo poo tbh

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my understanding from Twitter is that this year we have hit several days over 2C but more significantly this will likely be the first time where the whole year’s average is over 1.5C

that still doesn’t “count” as 1.5C yet because it’s not a multi year average but we’re getting there

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if it's not from the 1.5C region, it's just sparkling heat*

* the sparkling is dissolved gas coming out of solution

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bawfuls posted:

my understanding from Twitter is that this year we have hit several days over 2C but more significantly this will likely be the first time where the whole year’s average is over 1.5C

that still doesn’t “count” as 1.5C yet because it’s not a multi year average but we’re getting there

We can just keep averaging down forever like a Gamestop hodler.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

good news! Green coal! It's Coal! It's Green! Climate change stay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJzFYL9Zwi8

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

good news! Green coal! It's Coal! It's Green! Climate change stay
yes! saving mining jobs and ensuring no mountaintop goes un-removed!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

it is amazing the degree to which people will trade vague rumors and guesses rather than just look poo poo up

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/temperature-anomaly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

it is amazing the degree