Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
According to this week’s Radio Times:

quote:

THE TIME ROTOR
The central column of the Doctor's ship moves up and down with the opening and closing of white "petals" within a glass tube. Behind the scenes, this is operated manually by one unlucky member of crew. "We attached the top to a pulley," says designer Phil Sims.
"Whoever's our art department assistant at the time has the joy of sitting up there and pulling on the rope."

Rope-powered tardis! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Some things never change, even with all that VFX money sometimes you just gotta give a guy a rope to pull on :shobon:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pops Mgee posted:

Absolutely loved that. Vibes were immaculate after being off for the almost the entire Chibnall run. Whittaker deserved a better showrunner. RTD Tennant and Tate haven’t missed a step. Also as someone who only a couple weeks ago had my own um gender identity revelation, I really liked the stuff towards the end with Donna’s daughter even if it was a little clunky. It was nice.
One of us! One of us!

Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness to Tennant, he's never really stopped playing the Doctor. His most recent Big Finish story came out 2 months ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

The Master has had a goatee more often than he hasn't, it could be Simm (and honestly that feels more likely to me for some reason. Hell, it could be Gordon Tipple, he had a goatee in the promo shots. God that'd be funny.

I like Simm, especially the more calm, menacing version from his last appearance, and that would work with the more calm 14. But if we get Dhawan it goes a long way towards breaking the new trope that each Doctor "has a Master" who must get recast at every regeneration. Ainley was great because he was against so many Doctors. I'd love to see Dhawan, Gomez, and Simm just randomly showing up over the next few years.

Though isn't Tipple the only Master even Big Finish hasn't trotted out? Rusty would probably love that kind of deep cut.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

I like Simm, especially the more calm, menacing version from his last appearance, and that would work with the more calm 14. But if we get Dhawan it goes a long way towards breaking the new trope that each Doctor "has a Master" who must get recast at every regeneration. Ainley was great because he was against so many Doctors. I'd love to see Dhawan, Gomez, and Simm just randomly showing up over the next few years.

Though isn't Tipple the only Master even Big Finish hasn't trotted out? Rusty would probably love that kind of deep cut.

I mean I'd love to see Dhawan back, he was great, I guess I'm just thinking in terms of this run of specials being the Greatest Hits of RTD.

I don't think Tipple has ever showed up anywhere aside from those few seconds at the start of the TV movie, but let's be fair, he doesn't DO anything to give even a vague hint of his character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

There were rights issues that prevented this, and may still prevent the use of Grace or Chang Lee (though BF have been fairly... lax about attending to creator rights in recent years).

There's also some concern over whether Tipple acts anymore, whether the character is a unique incarnation, and whether there's much point including him in an audio production when he's never spoken in an aired production.

I suspect BF are retconning the character to be a version of the Beevers Master, given the upcoming boxset.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BF have reverted the Beevers master from being a dessicated husk about three times as far as I can recall, as well as creating an entirely new incarnation so they can do what they want really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Open Source Idiom posted:

(though BF have been fairly... lax about attending to creator rights in recent years).

Oh word?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me Silver Fox Eric Roberts Master

For...uh...no reason

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astroman posted:

--"the boss" has 2 hearts

The boss doesn't have two hearts, they're interested in someone who has two hearts. And since the villain of part three has been very prominent in the promotional material, I think we can be pretty confident in who they are.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Tennant has said in the behind the scenes show that he doesn’t know who the Boss is, so the presumption is that he’s either lying or it’s something carrying over into Gatwa’s era.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxOX1CCtBA

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zaroff posted:

Tennant has said in the behind the scenes show that he doesn’t know who the Boss is, so the presumption is that he’s either lying or it’s something carrying over into Gatwa’s era.

Okay, I knew I had read something to that effect but couldn't remember where, it was really bugging me. So we're not talking the Occidental Toymaker, any bets on which classic series baddie we're bringing back? Personally I'm hoping for the Vardans, let's turn this into a show for five people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rochallor posted:

Okay, I knew I had read something to that effect but couldn't remember where, it was really bugging me. So we're not talking the Occidental Toymaker, any bets on which classic series baddie we're bringing back? Personally I'm hoping for the Vardans, let's turn this into a show for five people.

The other Master, the one from the Land of Fiction.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Voord or bust.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In the finale, Gatwa finds himself trapped on an intergalactic talk show being forcibly interviewed about his life. The host says they will now take a question from “The Boss”, and ominous music builds as the spotlight focuses on someone in the audience.

Chris Chibnall stands up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

In the finale, Gatwa finds himself trapped on an intergalactic talk show being forcibly interviewed about his life. The host says they will now take a question from “The Boss”, and ominous music builds as the spotlight focuses on someone in the audience.

Chris Chibnall stands up.

But it's 1986 Chris Chibnall and he's not the boss at all, just an angry teenager annoyed at the REAL people behind all this - two hearts? That just means two people! The Keff McCulloch score kicks in and PIP AND JANE descend from the ceiling, hurling thesauruses at the Doctor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'll be Grand Admiral Thrawn, courtesy of the new Disney+ deal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MikeJF posted:

He can barely keep up with Anakin, Ahsoka, and Ezra's bullshit

And you want to pit him against the Doctor's nonsense?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

holy poo poo "oh you can just give the power up whenever, it's actually not a problem at all" was a cop-out. First off, why didn't Donna just do that right away then

The Doctor kinda never gave her a chance, she was having a surprise seizure and he went straight to "barricade that power up in her mind".

Which also feels a bit like RTD metatextually accepting the criticism of the original resolution as being kinda lovely and denying Donna agency, and also that his attempt to wallpaper over it by making her a lottery winner was adding insult to injury. It really struck me that this time round, she was the one making the call about whether the blocks get removed in full knowledge of the consequences.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Boss is Angela

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

The Boss is Angela

Mr Nadir, this is neither the time nor the place.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Rochallor posted:

Professor Zaroff. Played by Peter Jurasik.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Astroman posted:

Don't rule out Jacobi either - after all, they have Disney money to throw at him these days.

What's that you say? Professor Yana regenerated? Well, yes. Why shouldn't the Master also have an issue with old faces coming back?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Actually, something else that probably factors with Rose seeming older to people, which is something that's occurred to me in general in my life since I know a lot of trans people:

Our mental frameworks for 'how people age' are so unconsciously cisnormative that they just sort of... break when faced with trans people. Not only are you going to be looking at/for markers from both sexes when doing so, HRT just puts in a hell of a lot more subtle work than you expect, and basically means that there's often a whole-rear end second puberty somewhere in that person's history, and you don't know when!

Again, Yazmin's at a regular 'TV Actor Playing A Teenager' age (in fact I'd say she's younger than even they tend to be; my ballpark for TV Teens is like mid-20s), so obviously she is older than she's playing. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised if her height and stronger facial features are just throwing people's age estimates completely off in that way.

My face softened a lot on HRT - my work colleagues think I'm in my mid 20s and I still get carded by bored cashiers at stores -- determining age from someone's face is SO hard

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So they’ve settled on calling him 14? It would make more sense to call him 10-2, or X-2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yep, this is doctor number 14 -- the third regeneration taken by the same face

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Boss is Fifteen

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

So they’ve settled on calling him 14? It would make more sense to call him 10-2, or X-2.
Surely that would just cause confusion with the Meta-Crisis clone of 10 that’s with Rose Tyler.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MikeJF posted:

I bid you Dark Greetings.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thrawn527 posted:

that isn't canon anymore :cry:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TinTower posted:

that isn't canon anymore :cry:

It was always a canon grey area anyway. I don't think it was ever considered C-Canon on the level of the Thrawn series and others like that.

I read once on a different forum that they were written off as bed time stories Han and Leia told Jaina and Jacen, but that honestly would make it even weirder.

But "Dark Greetings" will always be canon in my heart. I can't believe the Mofference in Mandalorian didn't have the guts to use it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

It was always a canon grey area anyway. I don't think it was ever considered C-Canon on the level of the Thrawn series and others like that.

I read once on a different forum that they were written off as bed time stories Han and Leia told Jaina and Jacen, but that honestly would make it even weirder.

But "Dark Greetings" will always be canon in my heart. I can't believe the Mofference in Mandalorian didn't have the guts to use it.

It doesn't matter anyway because Thrawn was never even AT a mofference

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Surely that would just cause confusion with the Meta-Crisis clone of 10 that’s with Rose Tyler.

10, X-2, X-3 when this iteration kicks a Toymaker ball and it's a bomb

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fil5000 posted:

It doesn't matter anyway because Thrawn was never even AT a mofference

Of course not, he would never bother with these idiots.

But the sentiment remains.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:smith:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hopefully 14 gets see CGI Wilf before the specials are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Hopefully 14 gets see CGI Wilf before the specials are done.

They've said they did film with Bernard before he passed so get ready for the room to get REAL dusty when that scene lands