Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McNally posted:

Other way around. He sent $1400 to bring Trump's $600 up to $2000.

It was this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Exactly one week before the November election everyone who filed Virginia taxes got the following letter with attached check in their mailbox:

Would probably have made more of an impact if Youngkin's name was on the ballot for re-election, but there were enough close races that it might have helped keep a few seats GOP.

Lmao they must have lost my return, they still haven't processed my refund and I never saw that check.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

My Spirit Otter posted:

you get what you see when it comes to cartoons

Cartoons might in some cases bring you joy in life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This loving guy.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/status/1728950835084747159

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The “readers added content” section is lit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Politicians getting chaos dunked by historians? I'm here for it

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Twice awarded Medal of Honor Marine Smedley Butler posted:

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

He's right, we'll need all of the territory we took to bury the many, many dead when we inevitably pay for all this

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He's absolutely correct. We never asked for the land we took.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Paingod556 posted:

Twice awarded Medal of Honor Marine Smedley Butler posted:
I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

Those who may not know, but Butler is a goddamn hero who exposed the plot by rich fascists, including Prescott Bush, to overthrow FDR in the late 30s.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It was good for Smedley Butler

It was good for ol’ Dan Daly

And it’s good enough for me

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orange juche posted:

Politicians getting chaos dunked by historians? I'm here for it

You might need to be an actual historian to know about the backstory American Samoa, but half of Mexico and the Philippines are basically high-school history material.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MrMojok posted:

It was good for Smedley Butler

It was good for ol’ Dan Daly

And it’s good enough for me

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Let's not forget that in the Revolutionary and 1812 wars we invaded Canada with an eye to recruit/annex whatever we could.

I know the Canadians haven't forgotten.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A.o.D. posted:

Let's not forget that in the Revolutionary and 1812 wars we invaded Canada with an eye to recruit/annex whatever we could.

Third time's the charm. We should go back and finish the job. They'd greet us as liberators!

Maybe we'd get a brand new White House out of it again.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Third time's the charm. We should go back and finish the job. They'd greet us as liberators!

Maybe we'd get a brand new White House out of it again.

The next time Canada burns down the White House it'll be the first time.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

But it would be the third? time it's rebuilt, right?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

That Works posted:

The “readers added content” section is lit

America also likes gold - I don't begrudge it, but the UK finished paying America in 2006 for WW2 loans. 100 x the cost we paid would have been worth it, so it was good value.

The 1950s are idolized in America as this golden age of prosperity - Everywhere else it was a grim time of austerity and food rationing that didn't end until 1954.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A.o.D. posted:

When I was in Ottawa I found it amazing how much of 18th and 19th century Canadian history was centered around concerns about American invasions. The canal next to their Parliament building was built after the war of 1812 to provide water lines of communication from Montreal to Toronto in case during the next war the US forces in New England cut off the St Lawrence River.

At their war museum, starting in the French and Indian war exhibit I could faintly hear strains of Yankee Doodle playing somewhere in the distance. It kept getting louder until I finally got to the War of 1812 section where a lovely store quality intercom speaker was blasting low quality Yankee Doodle on repeat. I assume it was part of the exhibit to annoy us into hating America as much as the Canadians of the time did because by the time I left that section I was so irritated by the music I was ready to burn it all down to make it stop.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ABC has a new report covering Pence on Jan 6.

His son, a Marine, had to tell him to do his loving Job.

https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/status/1729481038865301963?t=VFX8ADEbqi17PEkRwbWi5g&s=19

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 28, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

McNally posted:

The next time Canada burns down the White House it'll be the first time.
They lied to us through song! :gonk:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

His son, a Marine, had to tell him to do his loving Jon.

https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/status/1729481038865301963?t=VFX8ADEbqi17PEkRwbWi5g&s=19

Its hosed up that I have to remind my parents that poo poo they see on fox news is generally not representative of reality when I visit, imagine telling your dad "hey dont betray your oath to the US, not cool."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But it would be the third? time it's rebuilt, right?

Yeah, third. The 1814 fire gutted the building, then the building was basically gutted again for a massive reconstruction in 1948 due to a number of factors (including the removal of a load-bearing wall during a 1902 renovation). The White House was on the verge of collapsing in on itself during the Truman Administration because of some questionable choices made during previous administrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OddObserver posted:

You might need to be an actual historian to know about the backstory American Samoa, but half of Mexico and the Philippines are basically high-school history material.

dogg I'm from south carolina and high school history ends in 1859

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally posted:

The White House was on the verge of collapsing in on itself because of some questionable choices made during previous administrations.

american_history_since_1776.txt

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

dogg I'm from south carolina and high school history ends in 1859

OK, but that should at least cover the Mexican-American War, and the whole kerfuffle with Texas before that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

American history according to public education-
-Pilgrims
-Indians get upset, intense debate over who lives where
-Revolution
-British come back for Part 2
-The Alamo
-Civil War
-Reconstruction
-WW1
-WW2
- Cold War
- Today's headlines

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bulletsponge13 posted:

-Pilgrims
-Revolution
-The Alamo
-Civil War The War Of Northern Aggression
-Reconstruction
-WW1
-WW2
- Cold War
- Today's headlines

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

-Pilgrims
-Revolution
-The Alamo
-Civil War
-Reconstruction
-WW1
-WW2
- Cold War
- Today's headlines

Pretty much anything anywhere in the world post-WW2 is completely ignored or glossed over in American public education unless it makes the USSR look bad/evil

Like, the average high school graduate has no idea how much the collapse of the European colonial empires affected huge parts of the world.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Baconroll posted:

The 1950s are idolized in America as this golden age of prosperity - Everywhere else it was a grim time of austerity and food rationing that didn't end until 1954.

This part was only true in Britain, and to a lesser extent the british empire. France and (West) Germany were both off food rationing by 1950, in large part thanks to the Marshall Plan. The 50s were the beginning of a long growth period for both Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder) and France (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trente_Glorieuses)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bulletsponge13 posted:

His son, a Marine, had to tell him to do his loving Job.

"I'm so bitchmade to the Dear Leader that I'm gonna throw the rest of the country out the window. Golly gee, I sure hope there's not an angry mob that calls for me to die that day as they try to overthrow the government on my friend's direction."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hypnophant posted:

This part was only true in Britain, and to a lesser extent the british empire. France and (West) Germany were both off food rationing by 1950, in large part thanks to the Marshall Plan. The 50s were the beginning of a long growth period for both Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder) and France (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trente_Glorieuses)

Wasn’t the situation in Britain that they were rationing but had enough, it was just boring drab food? I’m trying to recall if they also had the issue of using their Marshall Plan aid to pay down debt instead of retooling factories for the new era, putting them seriously behind continental manufacturing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn’t the situation in Britain that they were rationing but had enough, it was just boring drab food? I’m trying to recall if they also had the issue of using their Marshall Plan aid to pay down debt instead of retooling factories for the new era, putting them seriously behind continental manufacturing.

Vinegar isn’t enough flavor for you?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn’t it more that they continued waging colonial wars, and used a lot of money on that?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

vuk83 posted:

Wasn’t it more that they continued waging colonial wars, and used a lot of money on that?

not wars, but they were trying to maintain a positive trade balance and large reserve in order to keep the sterlingzone/empire together, so they were restricting imports and trying to compete on exports, despite not being able to match the US on production costs.

Not to say there weren't some colonial misadventures in the post-war period, and the suez crisis really marks the end of the british empire as a superpower. But that's not until 1956, and the stuff in the early post-war period was pretty minor in comparison, so I don't think that's a full explanation of why rationing hung around so long.

e: to clarify the british post-war ration was a sufficient number of calories but restricted stuff like meat, dairy, sugar, and importantly, petrol. I don't think there was a danger of mass hunger at any point post-war.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 28, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bulletsponge13 posted:

-Pilgrims
-Revolution
-The Alamo
-Civil War
-Reconstruction
-WW1
-WW2
- Cold War
- Today's headlines

Depends on where you grew up, we got a ton of education on what Europeans did to the native population in the Americas, and how European colonialism effected the rest of the world.

That's in one of the most liberal cities in the US though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

High school US history should be mandated to teach at least one section on Fred Hampton

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CNN is now finally talking about Topics Other Than Israeli Hostages and dropped this:

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1729622567185448974

quote:

“Mar-a-Lago? What the hell, Kevin?” Cheney asked.

“They’re really worried,” McCarthy said. “Trump’s not eating, so they asked me to come see him.”

“What? You went to Mar-a-Lago because Trump’s not eating?” Cheney responded.

“Yeah, he’s really depressed,” McCarthy said.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1729616402875658621

So THAT'S how he got down to 215. Fucker was starving himself. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

-Pilgrims
-Revolution
-The Alamo
-Civil War
-Reconstruction
-WW1
-WW2
- Cold War
- Today's headlines

Lmao hell, we only got to WW2 a single time in 13 years of TN public school. Everything I know post Depression came from family that was knowledgeable and would answer my questions and my own reading. I know I've said it before but I really wish they'd start with "a war happened in the 40s and let's talk about everything since" because it would help kids understand today's world. Why is the Middle East all hosed up, why are there two Koreas and one Vietnam, why does the PRC government seem so nuts about Taiwan, etc etc.