Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky is genuinely really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was bummed out how not great Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was. And how the switch game is just a remake of the first...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kale posted:

Frankly I'm surprised the Trials of Mana remake turned out as good as it did considering Square Enix was even more of a trashfire of out of touch corporate business think in 2020-2021 then it is now. I'm still not convinced their new CEO is going to be able to right the ship and fix their PR and braindead ideas for GAAS problem, but that one turned out alright unlike the secret of mana one

i mean the business side and the game making side of square enix have always been pretty cut off. they're a massive company to the point where a lot of projects and parts of management feel like they operate pretty separate from each other, some actively confirmed to operate separate from each other in the case of all the stories about how they managed their western subsidiaries like eidos when they still owned them. as much as you can talk about stuff like symbiogenesis it's telling that none of those projects really involve square's better known staff, and there's extra weird and funny poo poo like babylon's fall just not really being their idea at all and chocobo gp being such a trash fire that they did actually go back and patch out all of the gaas crap, not that a lot of people seem to have noticed.

also a funny thing to note about the trials of mana remake is that it was co-developed by the same studio as paranormasight and the k-on video game for psp

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like when you're talking square enix you need to bear in mind that nothing about their corporate thinking is really unique they're just way more forward about it than other companies. it's not a stretch to imagine that basically every other one of these mega big video game companies has people at the top thinking and pushing for the same crap, bandai namco's about the same size as square enix and i certainly wouldn't call them more competent, just less vocal about their incompetence. at least square enix seems to have a pretty steady commitment to employing and providing ample resources for proper translation staff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah like, i struggle to see how S-E's statements on GAAS are significantly dumber than the poo poo Sony is doing right now

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
doubling down on blockchain after the crash does seem quite stupid though, not that it has almost anything to do with games yeah

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
My favorite story about the Square Enix corporate end was the CEO determining where to set up their headquarters by determining the ideal location via fortune telling.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm just gonna ask and risk getting roasted: is there anything obvious I'm missing as a non-Pokémon player, or is the entire challenge and gameplay loop of the PMD titles "manage your four special move pools and run more than you fight"? The expanding depth of dungeons plus the fact that you never had a basic attack worth a poo poo meant my brain could never reliably strategize since I was out of PP halfway into the places, especially when bosses became complete tanks and I didn't have the items or skill tricks other mystery dungeon games offered for crowd control or desperation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the strangest thing about square enix is seeing the split in responses to their lower budget game releases, with some people praising it as a fun throwback to the era of budget ps2 games and something more publishers should be doing, and some people way too caught up in se's dumb public statements and negative pr dismissing them as throwaway zero effort garbage. i'm not sure how square enix has managed to cultivate such strong hate towards them from some people while being relatively harmless compared to a lot of other game companies, i'm not exactly gonna say they're a poor underdog getting beat up on but it really feels like it shows how much more willing some people are to get swept up in image over a company actually doing anything hosed up and objectionable

Rascyc posted:

doubling down on blockchain after the crash does seem quite stupid though, not that it has almost anything to do with games yeah

i doubt any of it will materialize honestly. they already tried releasing a project that was visibly doomed just because they felt they'd dumped too much money in and i doubt they're as happy with forspoken's sales as they are with ff16's

CullenDaGaDee posted:

My favorite story about the Square Enix corporate end was the CEO determining where to set up their headquarters by determining the ideal location via fortune telling.

if nothing else the history of public clownery with square enix's ceos is really funny. they know how to appoint some very entertaining people

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

claw game handjob posted:

So I'm just gonna ask and risk getting roasted: is there anything obvious I'm missing as a non-Pokémon player, or is the entire challenge and gameplay loop of the PMD titles "manage your four special move pools and run more than you fight"? The expanding depth of dungeons plus the fact that you never had a basic attack worth a poo poo meant my brain could never reliably strategize since I was out of PP halfway into the places, especially when bosses became complete tanks and I didn't have the items or skill tricks other mystery dungeon games offered for crowd control or desperation.

You shouldn’t need to be running from fights to conserve pp outside of maybe a bad situation in one of the postgame level reset dungeons. Specifics will depend on the exact game but generally elixirs drop often enough that you can just get by on what you find as long as you don’t have nothing but low pp attacks or all your moves linked together or something.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Plus there's not really anything stopping you from doing cold runs to hoard Max Elixirs in storage and then pull out however many you need for the next proper dungeon, save for the bonus dungeons that prevent you from carrying in any items.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The Colonel posted:

i feel like when you're talking square enix you need to bear in mind that nothing about their corporate thinking is really unique they're just way more forward about it than other companies. it's not a stretch to imagine that basically every other one of these mega big video game companies has people at the top thinking and pushing for the same crap, bandai namco's about the same size as square enix and i certainly wouldn't call them more competent, just less vocal about their incompetence. at least square enix seems to have a pretty steady commitment to employing and providing ample resources for proper translation staff

Can’t speak for SA, but people really do have strong feelings about SE stuff in some places. And as mentioned, SE is more willing to be forthcoming about underperforming stuff than some others which can fuel the fire. At the very least, I feel like SE has been in a way better spot than the FF13 days comparatively.

I have seen people elsewhere *really* wanting SE to have a Capcom moment of back-to-back multimillion blockbusters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the public image of capcom is so weird cause yeah they've made a lot of really good games but you got people treating that as a Capcom Redemption at the same time as them recasting everyone in resident evil to shake off union vas lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have a slight bias though because i didnt like the re4 remake nearly as much as anyone else did and i really didn't like re village

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i have a slight bias though because i didnt like the re4 remake nearly as much as anyone else did and i really didn't like re village

Same.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Capcom had to cannibilize a bunch of studios to get Monster Hunter World off the ground and gamble their company on it. The gamble worked out for them but it did cost a lot of jobs in the process. I guess that's business for you, I don't think they deserve a pedestal or anything. I don't think any game company deserves a pedestal in fact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

did they actually double down on blockchain

what big NFT products has square produced

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you mention selling the bad western studios i will do every ff7 limit break on you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

if you mention selling the bad western studios i will do every ff7 limit break on you

But that would include Aerith's so you'd merely be making them invincible and giving them a full Limit bar themselves.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They just released digital pogs for their "Web3 based game" Symbiogenesis, but I get the feeling that it's never actually going to come out since the game actually existing isn't a factor in their ability to sell pogs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if anyone at square enix had any real faith in symbiogenesis amounting to anything they would've killed themselves trying to get someone like nomura doing the art for it. the fact that it has literally none of square enix's notable artists involved kind of shows how much it is being sent out to die

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it also does not seem like a very high-effort production. 'doubling down' and 'going all in' implies a ton of money being spent, not what looks like it could have been made for a ham sandwich

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

did they actually double down on blockchain

what big NFT products has square produced
Not really in anything material. The original block chain CEO doubled down in the press at the start of this year and then the board tossed him a month or two later. The new CEO said he was still interested in NFT stuff but it sounded like one of those things you say out of respect for the previous CEO instead of making fun of him. He hasn't said a peep about it since then I think

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
babylon's fall is the funniest and saddest one cause it's easy to assume that was a game twisted by the evil producers into a gaas online game. but unfortunately based on all publicly available information, it would seem its evil producers are at platinum, not square enix

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

SE sold the Deus Ex team before they could make a third Adam Jensen game, this is their most unforgivable sin in that sale

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

babylon's fall is the funniest and saddest one cause it's easy to assume that was a game twisted by the evil producers into a gaas online game. but unfortunately based on all publicly available information, it would seem its evil producers are at platinum, not square enix

Platinum has/had been trying for years to get some sort of online multiplayer thing off the ground and by all reports was just loving awful at it. Scalebound was going to be their big shot at it and then that got canned.

Honestly I fully expect them to be acquired by Nintendo or S-E pretty soon. Everything we hear is that they're like five seconds away from bankruptcy at all times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's kind of a shame anarchy reigns got left behind the way it did cause i feel like that was their best shot at it but it just came out at the exact wrong time and didn't really get marketed well. everything they tried after that seems so bloated and unappealing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MechaX posted:

SE sold the Deus Ex team before they could make a third Adam Jensen game, this is their most unforgivable sin in that sale

They should have sold them before they made a second

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and then we got a bayonetta game with four different writers, leaving us with the ultimate puzzle to solve: which one of them is responsible for the story being a horrible pile of poo poo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

and then we got a bayonetta game with four different writers, leaving us with the ultimate puzzle to solve: which one of them is responsible for the story being a horrible pile of poo poo?

Kamiya at least has taken full-rear end blame on that particular element, with him saying Bayonetta 3 was part of like a 7 game plan that will never get finished now.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should have sold them before they made a second

If Human Revolution had a good ending, I would have been fine with them leaving it at that

Instead it didn’t, and Mankind Divided despite its issues set up so many hooks that will never get resolved

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not gonna lie after two games with unsatisfying stories largely resulting from being in the weird position of having to basically reboot the franchise but still wanting to act like they were making a prequel even though basically nothing about human revolution slots that well into the original deus ex, a game which itself struggled to make a coherent continuation to its own story, i don't think the third time was going to be the charm

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Making robot arms a civil rights issue one of the main themes for two entire games was just a bad idea too imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Kamiya at least has taken full-rear end blame on that particular element, with him saying Bayonetta 3 was part of like a 7 game plan that will never get finished now.

Kinda surprised at this, thought he would have doubled down or something.

Did he chill out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, the idea of cybernetic limbs being used as a method of control is pretty basic-rear end cyberpunk, I don't think that's necessarily a problem. They just didn't have anywhere to go with it.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did he chill out?

He left the company.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They might have pulled it off with better writers and not saying things like "mechanical apartheid", but we'll never know for sure

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kamiya left platinum over "creative differences" with the upper management. considering the game he was making is the only thing they have coming out soon and it doesn't seem anywhere near finished it was probably messy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

They might have pulled it off with better writers and not saying things like "mechanical apartheid", but we'll never know for sure

Yeah, you could tell an interesting story about it but apartheid against people with cyber eyes was not it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, the idea of cybernetic limbs being used as a method of control is pretty basic-rear end cyberpunk, I don't think that's necessarily a problem. They just didn't have anywhere to go with it.

He left the company.

The Colonel posted:

kamiya left platinum over "creative differences" with the upper management. considering the game he was making is the only thing they have coming out soon and it doesn't seem anywhere near finished it was probably messy

poo poo completely missed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did he chill out?
His last day at Platinum was last month and he started a youtube channel immediately after it. Naturally the best way to start the channel was to start an AMA lol

I doubt he's chilled out. He seems as eccentric as always